Cal has just picked up an important Portal transfer?

4,963 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by barsad
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reported on the Stanford fan board. No name given.
Go Bears!
NarangS19
Got a link we can view?
bearchamp
Hard to imagine that Stanford knows more about Cal portal than this board does.
calumnus
bearchamp said:

Hard to imagine that Stanford knows more about Cal portal than this board does.

Unless it is a current Stanford player.
Big C

Oooooh!
oskidunker
Big C said:

Oooooh!
https://thecardboard.org/board/showthread.php?tid=24852&pid=411420#pid411420
Go Bears!
chezzers
Not totally sold on that. Seems like one random comment. But I will be happy to be wrong!
oskidunker
I hope its the 7 footer. Wee! Wee!
Go Bears!
Johnfox
It sounds like Raynaud or Stojakovic may have committed. Again, I don't know if that message is for real, but that's my guess.
bipolarbear
chezzers said:

Not totally sold on that. Seems like one random comment. But I will be happy to be wrong!
I checked their sites that I have access to (no premium) and I could find nada.
6956bear
bipolarbear said:

chezzers said:

Just in. Brandon Angel has entered the portal. Great student with grad school aspirations. Did not get in to Stanford grad school. If he can get in to Cal grad school that could be a real incentive. Get a year of grad school paid for and enough NIL to pay for the next year.
Big C
6956bear said:

bipolarbear said:

chezzers said:

Just in. Brandon Angel has entered the portal. Great student with grad school aspirations. Did not get in to Stanford grad school. If he can get in to Cal grad school that could be a real incentive. Get a year of grad school paid for and enough NIL to pay for the next year.

In terms of skill set and talent level, Angel reminds me of Grant Newell. We do have a lot of spots to fill...
Shocky1
^ other than the fact that newell plays no defense, shot a crooked azz 30% on 3 pointers vs angel's nba level 44% & got a bad attitude that's a great comparison
HearstMining
6956bear said:

bipolarbear said:

chezzers said:

I would think it's too late to apply to the Haas MBA program, and I'm not sure that a MS in Economics is particularly useful, but maybe he's interested in another option.
Shocky1
^ brandon is seeking a one year program for his final year of eligiblity (thus not seeking 2 year grad programs), the biz finance certificate program would be a strong fit
Oakbear
Shocky1 said:

^ brandon is seeking a one year program for his final year of eligiblity (thus not seeking 2 year grad programs), the biz finance certificate program would be a strong fit
based on another post there may be two furd guys who will join us .. hope Madsen can fill up the roster, a lot of holes
chezzers
Really hoping for Angel and Stojakovic. Both seem like high IQ, selfless players that can really shoot the ball. I feel like Newell slowed down the offense at time and made it a little bit clunky with his lack of shooting. I think they could really flourish in Madsen's system and could really fit with any type of offense.
chezzers
^Stojakovic only shot 32.7% from 3 last year, but he was 40+ every year in high school. His stroke looks very clean and I believe he will increase that number.
bearsandgiants
chezzers said:

^Stojakovic only shot 32.7% from 3 last year, but he was 40+ every year in high school. His stroke looks very clean and I believe he will increase that number.

I wasn't impressed in the games we played with them but he had limited minutes and is just a frosh. Would be a great addition.
Johnfox
Maybe the commit is Brandon Angel?
Big C
Shocky1 said:

^ other than the fact that newell plays no defense, shot a crooked azz 30% on 3 pointers vs angel's nba level 44% & got a bad attitude that's a great comparison

The multiple times we have beaten Stanfurd the past few years, Angel has had very quiet games. That is, in fact, what reminded me of Newell. (I have no idea about Angel's attitude... will assume it's good unless otherwise noted. Few one-to-one player comparisons are flawless.)

(BTW, I have personally seen every one of Angel's games in Haas and watched on TV every time he played Cal at Maples. He's an okay player... tends to disappear... like Newell.)
stu
Part of a coach's job is lighting a fire under the players. That didn't seem to be a strong point with Haase.
Johnfox
Angel averages 13 a game. I was there at all 3 Cal Vs Stanford games and he was a contributor in each. Newell was straight awful in most games (no defense, not hustling, turnovers, not knowing how to dribble). Angel would be a HUGE upgrade.
xultaif
Shocky1 said:

And you didn't even mention missing 10 free throws/game.
wifeisafurd
Shocky1 said:

actually it isn't fair to Angel. .

Angel played the most minutes per game of anyone on the team. He also played in all but two games.

He was second in scoring per game, only a bucket behind Reynard.

He was second on the team in rebounds per game.

Newell was 7th on team in minutes per game and scoring per game. He was 5th in the team in rebounds per game which is stunning considering his length.

I'm not going thought the actual numbers because I don't want to embarrass a guy that played for us. But if we are trading Angel for Newell straight-up, that is an upgrade.
stu
xultaif said:

Shocky1 said:

And you didn't even mention missing 10 free throws/game.
Newell attempted only 42 free throws in 32 games, missing 18 or 0.56 per game.
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

Angel played the most minutes per game of anyone on the team. He also played in all but two games.

Newell was 7th on team in minutes per game and scoring per game. He was 5th in the team in rebounds per game which is stunning considering his length.

I'm not going thought the actual numbers because I don't want to embarrass a guy that played for us. But if we are trading Angel for Newell straight-up, that is an upgrade.

Not trying to defend Newell (who I stopped rooting for a couple of weeks ago), but this was his 2nd year at Cal and Angel's 4th at Furd.

Comparing apples to apples, here was Angel's 2nd year on the Farm: 7.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.7 apg

Now, is Angel's 5th year in college likely to be better than Newell's 3rd? Probably. This guy is a decent role player, likely worthy of one of the eight spots we have open. Seen him play a number of times. He's okay.
6956bear
Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

Not trying to defend Newell (who I stopped rooting for a couple of weeks ago), but this was his 2nd year at Cal and Angel's 4th at Furd.

Comparing apples to apples, here was Angel's 2nd year on the Farm: 7.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.7 apg

Now, is Angel's 5th year in college likely to be better than Newell's 3rd? Probably. This guy is a decent role player, likely worthy of one of the eight spots we have open. Seen him play a number of times. He's okay.
Newell is leaving. His scholarship needs to be replaced as does his role on the team. Angel is a very solid role player. He is not a program changer. But you need players that will perform the role given. Based on what I have seen Angel is a player that will do that.

RedlessWardrobe
As much as I am disappointed that Newell's leaving, if Angel was to come here it would be an upgrade. Angel's talent qualifies him as much more than a role player and he would certainly be a starter.

Also, I don't know if comparing these two makes that much sense. To simplify my statement, Angel is more of a 3, Grant more of a 4. Grant may be a bit stronger, but Angel's skills are definitetively more polished.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

Well you are talking about replacing a guy who plays 20 minutes and has weaknesses in his game, with a guy who gives you a solid 35 plus minutes a game. The degree Angel is actually replacing Newll is a different issue, and likely depends on the other roster players and what scheme Madsen uses (does Madsen go small, have an athletic center, etc.). In other words, does Angel play the 4 or the 3?
6956bear
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

Well you are talking about replacing a guy who plays 20 minutes and has weaknesses in his game, with a guy who gives you a solid 35 plus minutes a game. The degree Angel is actually replacing Newll is a different issue, and likely depends on the other roster players and what scheme Madsen uses (does Madsen go small, have an athletic center, etc.). In other words, does Angel play the 4 or the 3?
I think a major difference is Angel knows what he is and Newell wants to be a different player with a different role than he had. Angel was a very efficient player that took good shots and played within the system. He is not a great defender. But when the ball went inside out from Raynaud he got open looks and made a high percentage.

I think if Angel were to come to Cal he would have to defend the 4. Do not believe he is quick enough to guard the sort of wing players you will see in the ACC. But he is a very solid player and one that is very consistent in effort and productivity. With Newell you did not know what you would get from game to game.
parentswerebears
Is Angel even interested in coming to Cal? Also, it is really ****ty form to badmouth players. You'd think Cal alumni would be more classy than that.
Bobodeluxe
parentswerebears said:

Is Angel even interested in coming to Cal? Also, it is really ****ty form to badmouth players. You'd think Cal alumni would be more classy than that.
Even if designated "Bad news Bears"?
Shocky1
^^ callem, as a fan ur entitled to ur opinion to not care if guys don't play defense, don't listen to the coaching staff or root for their teammates to do well in a team 1st environment, got crooked azz shooting strokes & fail to show up for development sessions, even show up incapacitated at a d1 college basketball game or waste a valuable berkeley admission spot (which is an opportunity for those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds to achieve generational wealth) on a deserving student instead of walking away from a degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world but that don't mean shocky shares ur view re: the magic of cal basketball, got it?

as a passionate educator (teachers are my heroes) hopefully ur teaching ur students that people often view the same series of events with different lens...it's duly noted that u wuz a staunch celebrator of greg richardson's decision to terminate cal's monster class back in the day which has resulted in me attending 2 games at haas during the last 7 years & jaylen brown walking away from the program

https://instagr.am/p/CnSBeOMNzqt
curious wuz it also a ***** move by me to invite u as a total stranger to be my floor seat guest at a basketball game as part of my relentless efforts to grow the fanbase during the cal's monster class era?

bill
barsad
Not even sure what the debate is… whether players like Angel are good enough for Cal? News flash… we have a tabula rasa roster, meaning we're pretty desperate, meaning if Angel's grandmother can shoot threes I'm giving her a scholarship!
Second question for the forum is… if Cal really does have portal commits on the books, why the delay on announcing? Seems like the best PR move is to get ANY news of actually having talent next year out there ASAP. Makes me think there are no commits to announce.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.