opinion of Cal's next BB squad - what say you?

3,350 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Growler91
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url=https://twitter.com/hayden_smith88][/url]Not Fernando @Hayden_smith88

"My guess for next year's starting lineup".

PG Christian Tucker UTSA transfer
SG Andrej Stojakovic Stanford transfer
SF Mike Sharavjamts USF transfer
PF Jeff Nwankwo JUCO
C Justice Ajogbor Harvard transfer

Bench:
C Lee Dort Vandy transfer
PF BJ Omot North Dakota transfer
bearsandgiants
I hope they're all in my chem 1a class.
stu
Juniors in Chem 1a?
BearNIt
I say, "Cal Has Wings", with the signing of Nwanko and Omot, Coach Madsen is getting it done in the transfer portal. We will see once he gets done but so far so good.

Team Chemistry?
barsad
I'm already sick of playing in the Transfer Fantasy Basketball League.. is this what we have to look forward to every spring and summer? Using tea leaves and tarot cards to figure out who's going to wear a Golden Bears jersey in 6 months? I can't even pretend to have an opinion about the team when there is no team yet, just wish lists.
DWM81
As I wrote 2 months ago this pattern of roster construction is unsustainable...
RedlessWardrobe
I think we're all in agreement about the process we're currently in. You gotta hope that because MM came into such a bizarre situation last year, this year he'll be able to bring in some players that will stick, and gradually each year will require less of the insanity that we're currently seeing.

OTOH, the new structure makes it impossible for the process to ever go back to pre-NIL times. Like it or not, it is what it is.
DWM81
healthy take...
Intuit
like it or despise it, anticipation is not going let the California coaching staff or faithful be bored.
6956bear
Intuit said:

PF Jeff Nwankwo JUCO

Bench:
Oh sure I can see this panning out. Or something similar. IMO the above listed team is a lower half of the ACC team. But if the staff can keep the better players on hand past this next season (those with eligibility) and then add in the next class then they may have something.

But right now it looks to me like Cal hoops is headed towards a very similar record as this past season.
RedlessWardrobe
Just an opinion. Watched parts of USF games last year and I just wasn't overly impressed by Sharavjamts. He did a few things okay but with all of the possibilites out there I just feel that we could do better. Again I admit, I only saw bits and pieces but I'm not sure MM would want to target him.
Johnfox
Madsen seems to really like Sharavjamts.
oski003
It is the All You Can't Spell team!
BC Calfan
RedlessWardrobe said:

Just an opinion. Watched parts of USF games last year and I just wasn't overly impressed by Sharavjamts. He did a few things okay but with all of the possibilites out there I just feel that we could do better. Again I admit, I only saw bits and pieces but I'm not sure MM would want to target him.
Agreed. Same feelings about Stojakovic but to a lesser degree. But with Sharavjamts, it's alarming that this is his 3rd transfer in 3 years. What happened at USF? They have a good coach and a free-flowing offense---why didn't he flourish? If we take him, I hope it isn't under the assumption that he's being "given the keys". He's got to earn it, improve, compete, etc.
SBGold
I think that is a mediocre team unfortunately, and worry about the depth as well. How do we go 9-10 deep?
Oakbear
barsad said:

I'm already sick of playing in the Transfer Fantasy Basketball League.. is this what we have to look forward to every spring and summer? Using tea leaves and tarot cards to figure out who's going to wear a Golden Bears jersey in 6 months? I can't even pretend to have an opinion about the team when there is no team yet, just wish lists.
yup, I have lost so much interest in college sports due to this?

just like I lost a lot of interest in pro sports
oskidunker
Oakbear said:

barsad said:

yup, I have lost so much interest in college sports due to this?

just like I lost a lot of interest in pro sports

I am getting there
Go Bears!
HKBear97!
6956bear said:

Intuit said:

PF Jeff Nwankwo JUCO

Bench:
Oh sure I can see this panning out. Or something similar. IMO the above listed team is a lower half of the ACC team. But if the staff can keep the better players on hand past this next season (those with eligibility) and then add in the next class then they may have something.

But right now it looks to me like Cal hoops is headed towards a very similar record as this past season.
As things stand now, I'm not convinced Madsen will surpass Fox's high-water mark of 14 wins.
stu
HKBear97! said:

6956bear said:

Intuit said:

PF Jeff Nwankwo JUCO

Bench:

As things stand now, I'm not convinced Madsen will surpass Fox's high-water mark of 14 wins.
Things aren't standing.
Oakbear
"As things stand now, I'm not convinced Madsen will surpass Fox's high-water mark of 14 wins."

really hard to be convinced of anything due to the changing landscape .. a few have a clue as to what MM has in NIL dollars to dole out, but most of us just like mushrooms ...

MM seems to be a good guy, should relate well to players, etc.. but now more than ever before it is all about the Franklins .. (used to be about the Benjamins, but inflation ..... )

I know that no one would break the rules and contact someone and offer them more money to leave (I hope you get sarcasm) so once we hire someone they won't leave LOL

guess it is good that I am old and will soon be rotting and pushing up some daisies in the dell , If I were young, I would just give up sports
JimSox
oski003 said:

It is the All You Can't Spell team!
Two consonants that don't go together. Twice!
barsad
BC Calfan said:

But with Sharavjamts, it's alarming that this is his 3rd transfer in 3 years. What happened at USF? They have a good coach and a free-flowing offense---why didn't he flourish? If we take him, I hope it isn't under the assumption that he's being "given the keys". He's got to earn it, improve, compete, etc.

You've hit on something important here… the thing I like least about NIL is that it's produced a bunch of players who think they can play the schools market like they invest in crypto. Dropping and switching, looking for the fattest handout without ever doing anything to earn it on the hardwood. They just think they deserve it because Player X at School Y got Z dollars, therefore I should, too. Terrible lesson to teach an 18-year-old, I know I sound old, but this is producing an entire athletic generation of nitwits and privileged twats.
Oakbear
"They just think they deserve it because Player X at School Y got Z dollars, therefore I should, too. "

see WNBA and NBA
BeachedBear
barsad said:

BC Calfan said:

But with Sharavjamts, it's alarming that this is his 3rd transfer in 3 years. What happened at USF? They have a good coach and a free-flowing offense---why didn't he flourish? If we take him, I hope it isn't under the assumption that he's being "given the keys". He's got to earn it, improve, compete, etc.

You've hit on something important here… the thing I like least about NIL is that it's produced a bunch of players who think they can play the schools market like they invest in crypto. Dropping and switching, looking for the fattest handout without ever doing anything to earn it on the hardwood. They just think they deserve it because Player X at School Y got Z dollars, therefore I should, too. Terrible lesson to teach an 18-year-old, I know I sound old, but this is producing an entire athletic generation of nitwits and privileged twats.
I think NIL is the result. Not the cause.
bearchamp
I agree. NIL is the result of nitwits.
concernedparent
6956bear said:

Intuit said:

PF Jeff Nwankwo JUCO

Bench:

Not ACC contending level but I do think it's a better roster than last year. It's at least well balanced as a team. Last year the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. No point guard, roster full of non-defenders, just bad fits generally bailed out to a large extent by Tyson's brilliance.
calumnus
concernedparent said:

6956bear said:

Intuit said:

PF Jeff Nwankwo JUCO

Bench:

Not ACC contending level but I do think it's a better roster than last year. It's at least well balanced as a team. Last year the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. No point guard, roster full of non-defenders, just bad fits generally bailed out to a large extent by Tyson's brilliance.

Way too soon to tell. I do think we are already seeing this team will have more scoring options, but it remains to be seen if it will be better.
Johnfox
Tucker, Mahaney, Stojakovic, Omot/Sharavjamts, Ajogbor??
calumnus
Johnfox said:

Yeah, let's see who we get before we decide how good we will be.
mbBear
calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

Ya think?!
Maybe the most premature thread of all time....
RedlessWardrobe
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

Ya think?!
True, but because of this new scenario, what choice do we have? We can't go blaming ourselves!
calumnus
RedlessWardrobe said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

Ya think?!
True, but because of this new scenario, what choice do we have? We can't go blaming ourselves!

One choice we have is to discuss each recruit as they come in and then discuss tge coming season's team when it is assembled.

Or, if we have nothing else to do we can play the game of "if these were our only players and the remaining 7 scholarships go unused, what would be our starting lineup, how would they stack up against last year's team?" But at least have that caveat as part of the discussion.
Intuit
It is justifiably appropriate that California enthusiasm will build exponentially with each sequential commit.

Madson is assembling and blending together uniquely talented players. He will produce a harmonious team capable of distinguished success,
RedlessWardrobe
calumnus said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

Johnfox said:

Ya think?!

One choice we have is to discuss each recruit as they come in and then discuss tge coming season's team when it is assembled.

Or, if we have nothing else to do we can play the game of "if these were our only players and the remaining 7 scholarships go unused, what would be our starting lineup, how would they stack up against last year's team?" But at least have that caveat as part of the discussion.
Maybe we should start with your first suggestion. Between now and May 11, only discuss incoming players on an individual basis. Then, when the squad is complete we are then allowed to address the team evaluation. It would almost be comparable to being on jury duty, no conclusions until all the facts are in. I'm down for it, if everyone else can hold out!
Growler91
Maybe give $100 to Cal Legends every time you post.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.