another BB addition

3,279 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by oskidunker
3146gabby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
read in the Chron that Madsen added one more player....a small guard. Anyone have more info?
Eastern Oregon Bear
A commitment tweet was posted to the Haas board yesterday and I've tried to repost it here but I'm getting invalid URL messages from the board software. I think I'm OK passing info along as he's announced it publicly and the BI staff hasn't said anything about him so far.

The player is Jaden Goodall from Canyon High in Anaheim. I've seen him listed as a small forward with heights ranging from 6' 5" to 6' 7". He averaged 20.3 pts on 51% shooting last year and averaged 6.8 rebounds. Jaden had offers from Montana, UC Riverside and Columbia but chose to be a walk on at Cal. Maybe he wanted a chance to play at the ACC instead of the mid-major level. I have not watched any of his highlight videos, but from what I found from some quick research, my hunch is that Jaden might a sneaky good pick up.
HearstMining
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

A commitment tweet was posted to the Haas board yesterday and I've tried to repost it here but I'm getting invalid URL messages from the board software. I think I'm OK passing info along as he's announced it publicly and the BI staff hasn't said anything about him so far.

The player is Jaden Goodall from Canyon High in Anaheim. I've seen him listed as a small forward with heights ranging from 6' 5" to 6' 7". He averaged 20.3 pts on 51% shooting last year and averaged 6.8 rebounds. Jaden had offers from Montana, UC Riverside and Columbia but chose to be a walk on at Cal. Maybe he wanted a chance to play at the ACC instead of the mid-major level. I have not watched any of his highlight videos, but from what I found from some quick research, my hunch is that Jaden might a sneaky good pick up.
Excellent. If all that guys like this do is provide robust competition in practice, that's more than Cal had a few years ago
calumnus
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Looks like a good all around player who can shoot from deep, get out on the break, pass, has a good handle, plays good D… at 6'6 160-180 still super skinny and being from a small school probably very underrated. However, I'd rather take a player with skills and beef them up in college than try to develop skills in college. Seems like another good walk-on pickup for Madsen.
hoop97
I'm getting a Ryan Forehan-Kelly good feeling
01Bear
hoop97 said:

I'm getting a Ryan Forehan-Kelly good feeling

That's a pretty high bar. I'm hoping he proves you right!
HoopDreams
Quality and size of our walkons is way up under Madsen
Go!Bears
HoopDreams said:

Quality and size of our walkons is way up under Madsen

A lot of that may be the portal. If money isn't an issue, you go where you want and if you blow up either you get a scholarship or hit the portal. No reason to start at a lower tier because someday you may play. You can always go there later if things don't pan out.
smokeyrover
Roster at calbears.com currently lists 18 players. Add Goodall and Marbury II and that is 20. Unprecedented. 7 walkons.
SFCityBear
smokeyrover said:

Roster at calbears.com currently lists 18 players. Add Goodall and Marbury II and that is 20. Unprecedented. 7 walkons.
I think the NCAA roster limit was 15, with only 13 allowed to dress for each game. It was rumored back in February that the rules on roster limits would change. What are the new limits?

There will be so many more players on each team now, and many of those players will never see playing time on the floor. I wonder if schools could form secondary teams made up of the walkons and players who would would not be allowed to suit up for varsity games, and these teams would be "junior varsity" teams, and could schedule games with other college JV teams and with community colleges, to give these players some game experience. That is a partial description of the way it used to be at Cal and many other schools. Cal and other schools also used to have a "145s" team, where smaller basketball players could compete against teams of similar size. Each player was evaluated at a weigh-in, where physical measurements were taken. It was called the Exponent system. Each person was given a certain number of exponents for his height, weight, and age, and those numbers added together had to be less than 145, to be eligible to play in that league. The number roughly correlated to a player's weight, in this case 145 pounds or less. The high schools had 110, 120, and 130 pound teams, along with junior varsity and varsity teams, each playing in their own league with the same exponent requirements.

Basketball is a great sport, and participation sports of all kinds used to be available to college students. I'd like to see as many students playing basketball as possible. It builds character. They will be the better for it.
calbear80
Is this the most prefered walk-in's we have had for a long time?

Go Bears!
oskidunker
calbear80 said:

Is this the most prefered walk-in's we have had for a long time?

Go Bears!

Ill believe it when one gets in a game. I am not holding my breath,,other than Larsen.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.