The worst team since Kutchen went 6-21

3,700 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cal8285
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Out hustled, out coached and a totally unwatchable team. I better not say anymore. Most left at the 10 minute mark.

Alumni Band was great. Canned music at a tolerable level.
tthompson993
That Kuchen team was hard to watch as they had very little talent. I think this team actually has more talent but is even more poorly coached. I can't see them winning any games in conference and I am not sure that they will be able to win another game out of conference. I have been going to Cal games before I attended, while I attended, and after I attended but I will not be making the trip this year from Santa Rosa to watch this garbage. This is by far the most poorly coached college team I have ever seen. At least Cuonzo understood defense. It is really hard to watch these games as I see more regression than improvement. Seems Seung has regressed the most so far and I think he has a lot of game in him.
Yogi58
Again, I'm astounded anyone expected anything other than the worst Cal basketball team possibly ever. This was all known well before the season started.

You could bring Mike Montgomery back if you wanted, but he would be losing games as well with this amount of talent. The margins might be lower (the switch to the press was embarrassing as usual), but there wouldn't be much more in the way of wins.

THE TEAM HAS VERY LITTLE TALENT.

calgo430
when charley moore left we had no chance. we shot 26% from the field in the first half at home. that is really ugly. assists are rare. mcneill and coleman are not point guards. just my opinion this is the least talented cal team i have seen and i go back to 1950. wait till next year.
Econ141
Yogi Bear said:

Again, I'm astounded anyone expected anything other than the worst Cal basketball team possibly ever. This was all known well before the season started.

You could bring Mike Montgomery back if you wanted, but he would be losing games as well with this amount of talent. The margins might be lower (the switch to the press was embarrassing as usual), but there wouldn't be much more in the way of wins.

I think we have some talent. Marcus Lee, McNeil, Coleman, Okoroh, Sueimg could start for the lesser known teams on our schedule thus far.

This is a coaching disaster.
calbear80
Kuchen's teams were better coached than this guy's team.

Mike Williams is the worst Athletic Director ever and he has hired the worst basketball coach ever.

Fire them both. NOW.
Econ141
calbear80 said:

Kuchen's teams were better coached than this guy's team.

Mike Williams is the worst Athletic Director ever and he has hired the worst basketball coach ever.

Fire them both. NOW.

I'd say you get what you paid for but in this case I think we still overpaid for crap!
Civil Bear
fat_slice said:

Yogi Bear said:

I think we have some talent. Marcus Lee, McNeil, Coleman, Okoroh, Sueimg could start for the lesser known teams on our schedule thus far.

This is a coaching disaster.
This team reminded me a lot of Braun's 99-00 team that had 4 frosh in the top 6 in minutes, plus another 2 walk-ons in the rotation..............

...............except that team went 18-15 and made it to the third round of the NIT.

That's also the team where Braun got his rep as a lousy offensive coach because he took the air out of the ball and had his frosh move it around the perimeter trying to work it into Lampley.
ncbears
Campanelli went 8-22 with mostly frosh. They actually beat UCLA that season.
joe amos yaks
ncbears said:

Campanelli went 8-22 with mostly frosh. They actually beat UCLA that season.
Yes, but Ucla will be a bigger challenge without LvBall.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
mdbear
I am too young to remember the Kutchen 6-21 team, but there is little doubt in my mind that this will be the worst team in 40 years since Campanelli won 9 games in 1987-88. However, Campanelli won 20 games the next season. Sadly, I don't see that trajectory, although I hope I am proven wrong. So hard to believe we were a four seed in the NCAA tournament less than two years ago. The program has fallen off the edge of a cliff, and lots of blame to go around.
Northside91
So you're saying Little Rock and USF have so much more talent than Cal that they not only avoided 27-point home court losses but actually beat this team? Sorry. Not buying.

What you're seeing is a team with marginal talent get worked by teams of inferior quality. That's on the suited idiots riding the bench. They're not up to the task, and it's obvious. This is what happens when winning is deprioritized to financial and political considerations.
concordtom
I'm recalling how Monty got on the mic for a TV game after he departed and he bragged about how he left the team stacked with talent for CM. No he did not! Monty had his faults, too.

I do like the idea of getting some cognoscenti together for an evaluation. This is going off rails quickly.
BC Calfan
I'm bracing for the worst. Team revolt, in season transfers, recruits decommitting. If that doesn't happen I'll be fine even with the blowout losses.
concernedparent
concordtom said:

I'm recalling how Monty got on the mic for a TV game after he departed and he bragged about how he left the team stacked with talent for CM. No he did not! Monty had his faults, too.

I do like the idea of getting some cognoscenti together for an evaluation. This is going off rails quickly.

All Pac-12 Wallace, senior Kravish, Bird, Mathews. Then role guys Singer, Behrens, Tarwater are better than what we have now. Monty probably makes that a 9-9 team.
KoreAmBear
concernedparent said:

concordtom said:

All Pac-12 Wallace, senior Kravish, Bird, Mathews. Then role guys Singer, Behrens, Tarwater are better than what we have now. Monty probably makes that a 9-9 team.
We may have had Poetl and another guy that opted out when Monty retired. We would not have had Jaylen and Ivan, but we probably could have won an NCAA game if Monty had stayed and brought in Poetl.
Cal8285
I respectfully disagree, I think this is (so far) worse than the 78-79 Kuchen team, which, until now, was the worst of the 43 Cal basketball teams I have watched. .

There might be more more talent than the 78-79 Kuchen team, but (so far) the performances have been more horrific than the performances from 78-79.

The only game in 78-79 that really made me say *** was the 5 point home loss to Cal St. LA. There were some pretty good efforts by that team, in spite of the losses and lack of talent.

So far, I have seen WAY more on the court confusion, indifference (especially defensive indifference), and sloppy, careless, and fundamentally poor play from this year's Bears than I did in 78-79.

I saw every home game in 78-79, and at least read about the road performances, since most games weren't on TV back then. Especially once Doug True got moved from forward and replaced Schneiderjohn as starting center, the team played with some heart. The Cal career leader in floor burns didn't take that year off effortwise, he was busting his butt every game and playing with sound fundamentals. The home win over WSU remains one of my favorite Cal basketball games of all time. That Raveling coached team probably would have made the NCAA's in a 68 team field, and the crowd, with the late Tom Caselli (brother of John) leading it, greatly helped will the Bears to come back and win that game, easily the best win of the year. The effort against USF in a December 9 point loss was a good one. While they weren't an incredibly well coached team and they lost a lot of games, outside of the Cal St. LA game, nothing made me pissed that that they didn't show up, or didn't give a damn, or didn't have any clue as to what they were doing.

For this team, I was OK with the St. Mary's effort once we got past the opening 10-1 deficit, but still, Cal didn't play St. Mary's nearly as well as the 78-79 team played USF. Wofford, CSUN, they were OK efforts. But Riverside, Chaminade, Central Arkansas? Hooboy.

I know the Bears are inexperienced, but there is no excuse for the defensive indifference shown, and while our inexperience will make us simply overmatched in some games, there is no excuse for how the team has played against some teams that do not have superior talent. A one time happening I could accept, but when it happens multiple times, then I am going to point my finger at the coach.

The season isn't over, the conference season has yet to start, and there is time yet for me to decide this season isn't as bad as 78-79. However, I'm an old man and by the time I drive and park, it takes me close to an hour to get to Haas, as opposed to the short walk from the dorm in 78-79, and I can see every game on TV. I have a feeling I'll be missing some games this year.
oskidunker
Your not an old man. I graduated in 1970. I am retired but getting from the penninsula to Cal on a week day night means I have to leave by noon. Go to the Albany theater and watch the longest playing moving and then meet friends for dinner and try to string it out until the gym open. Usually we are there when it opens. They decided to help us this year by not opening the normal hour and a half but only an hour early. So we usually stand there in the cold hoping the scanners will work when they open. Usually they don't.

I may miss some week night games as I wont ride that Crime infested, loud Bart train.
ncbears
For those rare wins in 78-79, at least there was "free" or greatly reduced prices on drinks/food at Come Back Inn because of the Caselli connection ....(and of course, no one was ever carded).
Big C
ncbears said:

For those rare wins in 78-79, at least there was "free" or greatly reduced prices on drinks/food at Come Back Inn because of the Caselli connection ....(and of course, no one was ever carded).

Not to mention free parking on Bancroft, only a short stroll from Harmon. In a way, those were the days...
sonofabear51
Yes, Harmon was a blast back then. 6660 screaming folks right in the opponents faces, and a high temperature to boot. Thanks for the memories, hopefully those days will be back again someday.
Cal8285
ncbears said:

Yeah, all us underage drinkers knew the sure fire place to go drink without being carded, and I patronized the place with my freshmen dorm buddies even before I wanted to reward Tom for helping fire up the crowd at the WSU game in January of 1979.

And we didn't have to show up all that early to games to get front row seats in the student section. But still, even at crappy non-conference games there was a bigger actual attendance than there was last night. Ouch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.