Donut boy caught!

25,018 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BeachedBear
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BearSD
LOL. Only Arizona diehards think the "whole story" is BS. Everyone else sees that Miller doesn't deny having phone conversations with this agent, whether they were talking about Ayton or another player.

EricBear
Staff

I will be on a plane to Phoenix during this press conference. Damn. Will be fascinating.
stu
EricBear said:

If they're having a press conference with Sean Miller I can't see any outcome other than keeping him.
BearSD
That was the outcome. Miller took no questions, said he had never spoken with Dawkins about Ayton, and is returning to coaching.

He might as well have just walked on stage, flashed both middle fingers, and walked off.
ColoradoBear
It's easy to say whatever during a press conference where no questions are asked. Without the actual evidence the FBI has collected, was there really any other outcome? Was Az essentially going to admit guilt by firing him? Why not ride it out because they would get hammered either way if true. Would love to see Az make the finals game, and have an actual tape leaked the morning of.

Beyond Az, I just wonder how many coaches/players commit perjury by the end of this. The FBI isn't doing the investigation just for fun - at some point there will be grad juries, trials, and sworn depositions.

An interesting side question I have is regarding ESPN's source. They have to be confidential because the FBI reports are under wraps and it's most likely illegal to leak them. But what if the source is wrong? And either Ayton or Miller want to sue ESPN for libel? How does that even move forward because there's really no way to prove what a confidential source said without said source. Of course there may be reasons not to sue as in getting deposed or testifying under oath might be taking the risk of perjury....
Another Bear
Wow...really?
bluehenbear
BearSD said:

That was the outcome. Miller took no questions, said he had never spoken with Dawkins about Ayton, and is returning to coaching.

He might as well have just walked on stage, flashed both middle fingers, and walked off.

Someone needs to 'shop Miller's head on this Johnny Cash photo:

socaliganbear
Whatever happens, this is pretty exciting. About as much interest as I have in cbb this year.
BearSD
ColoradoBear said:

It's easy to say whatever during a press conference where no questions are asked. Without the actual evidence the FBI has collected, was there really any other outcome? Was Az essentially going to admit guilt by firing him? Why not ride it out because they would get hammered either way if true. Would love to see Az make the finals game, and have an actual tape leaked the morning of.

Beyond Az, I just wonder how many coaches/players commit perjury by the end of this. The FBI isn't doing the investigation just for fun - at some point there will be grad juries, trials, and sworn depositions.

An interesting side question I have is regarding ESPN's source. They have to be confidential because the FBI reports are under wraps and it's most likely illegal to leak them. But what if the source is wrong? And either Ayton or Miller want to sue ESPN for libel? How does that even move forward because there's really no way to prove what a confidential source said without said source. Of course there may be reasons not to sue as in getting deposed or testifying under oath might be taking the risk of perjury....
(1) Miller is under investigation. The FBI reportedly served a subpoena at his home and took his computers around the same time they took Book Richardson's. No way Miller's attorneys are going to let him take questions from reporters.

(2) My guess is that ESPN's reporting is based on discussions for which the information provided by sources is either in writing/email or tape recorded, and that their lawyers have told them that as long as they are accurately reporting what the sources said and don't have information that the sources were lying, they're not going to be successfully sued.

bluehenbear
Link has video of Miller's statement:
https://deadspin.com/sean-miller-denies-all-wrongdoing-after-espn-wiretap-re-1823435036
EricBear
Staff
joe amos yaks
Donuts were served in Phoenix?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bluehenbear
Key word in his statement: "knowingly"
philbert
bluehenbear said:

I think someone earlier posted the George Costanza line that seems appropriate. Something about "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?"
NeverOddOrEven
philbert said:

bluehenbear said:

I think someone earlier posted the George Costanza line that seems appropriate. Something about "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?"
I just wanted the cashmere...
joe amos yaks
Shrinkage.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
TheSouseFamily
Not surprising at all. If Arizona was comfortable with Miller 6 months ago, the release of an uncorroborated, unverified, unofficial and possibly inaccurate "teport" wasnt gonna change the thinking.

This just kicks the can down the street a ways. The rubber hits the road when the FBI releases its findings. The content of the wiretaps and info from Book Richardson will ultimately determine his fate.

Of note from the Miller statement is that he says he never paid anyone. Well, of course. That's not how this works (unless you're Todd Bozeman). He didn't say whether he was aware of payments to his players. Nobody ever suggested Miller was directly paying players. It's similar to the Ayton attorney statement saying that Ayton never solicited or received money. Well, of course. Again, that's not how this works. He said nothing about whether his family, handler or family friends received money.

The big loser here is ESPN. Their "reporting" on this from the very beginning has been comically bad, with plenty of misleading and outright false statements.
EricBear
Staff
bluehenbear
joe amos yaks said:

Donuts were served in Phoenix?
EricBear
Staff
philbert said:

bluehenbear said:

BearSD
EricBear said:

The story as told in McCann's article is more absurd than the ESPN report.

"To that end, the source told SI what Miller clarified for the first time Thursday: Ayton is not the player on whose behalf former ASM Sports employee Christian Dawkins allegedly sought a payment from Miller, and Miller never pursued or made any payments to a recruit associated with Dawkins."

The allegation is that Dawkins sought to arrange to have a payment made to Ayton's representatives. Neither ESPN nor anyone else claimed that Dawkins was trying to get a payment from Miller. That is laughable.
EricBear
Staff
Another Bear
There must be a secret elite recruiting skills seminar for top 20 hoops coaches.

Lesson #1: never talk about money and never touch money...get a stooge to handle it.
BeachedBear
EricBear said:

Is "win The Big One" now a euphemism for major constipation?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.