Donut boy caught!

25,224 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BeachedBear
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another beauty to add to the circus. Florida fans tossed money at Auburn players and chanted "FBI!" as they left the court. A couple of the Auburn players picked it up. And Bruce Pearl, ever the devotee to NCAA regs, self-reported the cash (about $5 or $6) to the NCAA.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/auburn-tigers-ncaa-college-basketball-scandal-florida-money-self-reports-bruce-pearl
ayetee11
Why can't athletes take out loans like everyone else? It's not like the loan will have to go to tuition or room and board. They're basically getting loans from the runner, but I guess the issue is they would actually have to pay the student loan back.
UrsaMajor
Jeff82 said:

This is never going to happen, because the NCAA thinks it will kill off their tournament golden goose because of casual fans who only watch to see who the upcoming NBA stars are. I disagree, since most of the tournament interest is in the first two weeks when upsets can occur. I also don't care. College basketball should return to primarily being the province of the schools, the players, the non-playing students and the alumni. If casual fans have an interest, that's fine, but should not be the primary audience.
Actually, although the NCAA probably thinks this, I don't think the casual fan cares about "upcoming stars." The main reason for interest in March Madness--except for fans of schools in the tournament and die hard basketball fans, is $$$--it's the second-most gambled on event after the Super Bowl. Which is why if the NCAA ever was successful at getting shoe and agent money out of the game, it would just turn it over to gamblers and point-shaving (see, I'm not cynical at all!)
BearlyCareAnymore
UrsaMajor said:

socaltownie said:

If the NCAA were serious it would be easy. You get to replenish your scholarships according to a simple formula: Number of graduates/% of overall undergraduate grad. rate as reported to the Department of Education. Of course that is about as likely as hell freezing over because what matters MOST to the NCAA is keeping the cash cow that is March madness going like mad. As long as TV ratings are going great they will do absolutely NOTHING and the University Presidents - a spineless lot of markedly lower abilities, will do NOTHING.
SCT:

The proposal to tie scholarships to grad rate has been around forever, but as you say there is slightly less than ZERO chance of it every happening for the reason you state.

I'm sorry but it is a naive proposal that would only serve to give a bigger advantage to the cheaters. The schools are in total control of who graduates. If anyone doesn't believe Alabama will achieve 100% grad rates every year starting the year that rule goes into place, including NFL and NBA players somehow completing their degrees online, they are kidding themselves. The only schools that would be impacted are those with a modicum of academic integrity.
UrsaMajor
OaktownBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

socaltownie said:

If the NCAA were serious it would be easy. You get to replenish your scholarships according to a simple formula: Number of graduates/% of overall undergraduate grad. rate as reported to the Department of Education. Of course that is about as likely as hell freezing over because what matters MOST to the NCAA is keeping the cash cow that is March madness going like mad. As long as TV ratings are going great they will do absolutely NOTHING and the University Presidents - a spineless lot of markedly lower abilities, will do NOTHING.
SCT:

The proposal to tie scholarships to grad rate has been around forever, but as you say there is slightly less than ZERO chance of it every happening for the reason you state.

I'm sorry but it is a naive proposal that would only serve to give a bigger advantage to the cheaters. The schools are in total control of who graduates. If anyone doesn't believe Alabama will achieve 100% grad rates every year starting the year that rule goes into place, including NFL and NBA players somehow completing their degrees online, they are kidding themselves. The only schools that would be impacted are those with a modicum of academic integrity.
You can adjust the rule so that only in residence graduation counts. The point is to discourage the 1 and done and 2 and dones.
parentswerebears
Jeff82 said:

parentswerebears said:

The NBA just needs to get rid of the one and done rule. Simple. Then basketball needs to go with the baseball system or something similar. You either go to college or you don't.

I hate the idea of making basketball a minor league thing. That would defeat a lot of the purpose for me. For me, the tradition is a big part of it. If the sport is merely "affiliated' with the university, then it changes everything.
That's my view also. It doesn't make sense to me that the solution to the current environment of secret mercenaries is to have open mercenaries. I agree the stipend should be enough to allow college athletes, if they're from poor families, to have a similar experience to other students. But paying them based on market value is just going to remove any incentive to go to class, and will probably make the playing field among schools in basketball even less level that it is now.

My solution would be draconian enforcement of scholarship rules, so that if a school recruits a kid, and the kid leaves early, the school loses access to that scholarship until the four-year eligibility period is over. That eliminates the incentive to recruit kids who aren't interested in a college education. Those kids should go to the NBA, the D League or oversees, as they are able.

This is never going to happen, because the NCAA thinks it will kill off their tournament golden goose because of casual fans who only watch to see who the upcoming NBA stars are. I disagree, since most of the tournament interest is in the first two weeks when upsets can occur. I also don't care. College basketball should return to primarily being the province of the schools, the players, the non-playing students and the alumni. If casual fans have an interest, that's fine, but should not be the primary audience.
I couldn't agree more to all of those points.
BearSD

Quote:

I disagree, since most of the tournament interest is in the first two weeks when upsets can occur.
No, the March Madness ratings are higher in the later rounds. The national championship game last year had twice as many viewers as were watching all four games combined in any of the first-round time slots, even the ones in prime time. Scroll through the numbers compiled at http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/category/college-basketball-m/

HearstMining
UrsaMajor said:

OaktownBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

socaltownie said:

SCT:

You can adjust the rule so that only in residence graduation counts. The point is to discourage the 1 and done and 2 and dones.
I'm not a fan of 1 and dones. But basing it on grad rates will just promote the creation of sham majors that keep these guys/gals (well, virtually all guys - other than Missy, who can name another n<4 and done female athlete? And I'm not gonna dump on her!) in the program. I was at the U of Michigan 1978-1980 and there were a suspiciously large number of football players who were education majors. Not saying it was a sham, but I had a friend who was an Ed major and she did call the program "a joke". Stanfurd has the most creative approach: just let students create their own majors so there is never a pattern.
Jeff82
BearSD said:

Quote:

I disagree, since most of the tournament interest is in the first two weeks when upsets can occur.
No, the March Madness ratings are higher in the later rounds. The national championship game last year had twice as many viewers as were watching all four games combined in any of the first-round time slots, even the ones in prime time. Scroll through the numbers compiled at http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/category/college-basketball-m/

OK, I stand corrected. However, my opinion hasn't changed. Like I said, if fans in areas where there are no pro sports want to follow their local school, that's great. But generally, college sports should be based on student-athletes being rooted on by their fellow students and alumni. We've gotten way too far from that, and need to get back to it.

By the way, I have more concern about this in basketball than in football. While there are also one-and-dones in football, just the issue of physical maturity, particularly for linemen, makes it far less frequent, from what I can tell.
SFCityBear
Jeff82 said:

parentswerebears said:

The NBA just needs to get rid of the one and done rule. Simple. Then basketball needs to go with the baseball system or something similar. You either go to college or you don't.

I hate the idea of making basketball a minor league thing. That would defeat a lot of the purpose for me. For me, the tradition is a big part of it. If the sport is merely "affiliated' with the university, then it changes everything.
That's my view also. It doesn't make sense to me that the solution to the current environment of secret mercenaries is to have open mercenaries. I agree the stipend should be enough to allow college athletes, if they're from poor families, to have a similar experience to other students. But paying them based on market value is just going to remove any incentive to go to class, and will probably make the playing field among schools in basketball even less level that it is now.

My solution would be draconian enforcement of scholarship rules, so that if a school recruits a kid, and the kid leaves early, the school loses access to that scholarship until the four-year eligibility period is over. That eliminates the incentive to recruit kids who aren't interested in a college education. Those kids should go to the NBA, the D League or oversees, as they are able.

I agree with much of this, but your "draconian solution" would have to apply only to players leaving to turn professional, wouldn't it? What about Stephen Domingo who left Georgetown to come to Cal? Should Georgetown be punished and not allowed to recruit someone for his scholarship, just because Domingo left for reasons other than turning pro? He may have left because he wasn't given a chance to play, or he did not like the coach, or he wanted a better academic school, or maybe he was just homesick. Should Missouri be punished because Ricky Kreklow left for Cal for whatever reason? You will need to define what things a school is to be punished for, or make a blanket statement that transfers are OK, no penalty there, but a student turning pro is a punishable offense for the school.

UrsaMajor
HearstMining said:

UrsaMajor said:

OaktownBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

socaltownie said:

SCT:

I'm not a fan of 1 and dones. But basing it on grad rates will just promote the creation of sham majors that keep these guys/gals (well, virtually all guys - other than Missy, who can name another n<4 and done female athlete? And I'm not gonna dump on her!) in the program. I was at the U of Michigan 1978-1980 and there were a suspiciously large number of football players who were education majors. Not saying it was a sham, but I had a friend who was an Ed major and she did call the program "a joke". Stanfurd has the most creative approach: just let students create their own majors so there is never a pattern.
Stanfurd has its own way of dealing with athletes. I was talking with a former Cal woman water polo player who had also been on the national team along with players from UCLA, UCSB, Michigan, Stanfurd, etc. They had been commiserating about midterm exams at one tournament, when the Stanfurd player noted that she had a midterm scheduled, but "they" took care of it (i.e., she didn't need to take it). When asked who "they" were, she replied that she had no idea, "they" just took care of those things. For the rest of the tournament the women from public schools (Cal, UCLA, etc.) kept talking about needing to have a "they!"
EricBear
Staff
Sean Miller decision Wednesday?

TheSouseFamily
I think Ursa is probably right that most MBB fans don't care about the stars and the future nba talent. The impact to MBB ratings if you ended OAD would be negligible. If, for the sake of argument, the top 100 HS players never went to college and went into some kind of "super G league" or even directly the NBA, I suspect the NCAA ratings wouldn't miss a beat. And nor would be the NBA's ratings change either. And let's face it: even if the G-league had these stars that used to play in MBB, nobody still would watch that either. Even a developmental league with DeAndre Ayton, Mo Bamba, Marvin Bagley and Trae Young would do nothing to make people watch it.

The NCAA may be a "corrupt" organization but it has a great product and the value of that product isn't dictated by the quality of the talent. Even without those top 100 players in the theoretical argument, it would get by just fine. The value of MBB, and more specifically the NCAA tournament, is driven by the schools themselves, the uniforms, the fame of the coaches involved, the underdogs, the rivalries, the upsets, the bands, the mascots, the gambling potential and the drama of it all. Losing OAD talent (or more) would do nothing to lessen that value.

While you may lose a small number of the hardcore basketball fan that misses these stars and would opt to watch the NBA/D-League, you probably win back some the fans who have tuned out because so they find it harder these days to connect with and root for teams (like Duke) who replenish the roster every year with more 1-year talent.
TheSouseFamily
One other thing about the OAD guys: while I don't think the stars are relevant to the overall size of the pie, the stars are very relevant to how that pie gets divvied up. If Kansas or Kentucky or Duke gets more of the OAD "special" stars and, in theory, has a better chance of making a final 4 or winning a title, that comes with financial benefits, thus creating the incentive to move heaven and earth to land them. Their share of pie may be smaller if you eliminate the OAD stars, but it gets redistributed elsewhere if there's a more level playing field. Or it stays the same and those still win the with the leftover talent. Regardless, the overall size of the market stays the same.
ncbears
The NCAA could solve the financial incentive problem easily - all tournament revenue is shared equally among all Division I schools - after reimbursement of expenses for participating teams. This could be done with football as well.
TheSouseFamily
Wilner has a take on Sean Miller's situation. Says they should part ways even if the ESPN is not true. Can't say I agree with him. If Zona was comfortable enough when the Book Richardson stuff came out (not to mention his reputation in the sport to begin with), I can't see why they wouldn't be comfortable with him now (asssuming ESPN is wrong).

EricBear
Staff
ducky23
TheSouseFamily said:

Wilner has a take on Sean Miller's situation. Says they should part ways even if the ESPN is not true. Can't say I agree with him. If Zona was comfortable enough when the Book Richardson stuff came out (not to mention his reputation in the sport to begin with), I can't see why they wouldn't be comfortable with him now (asssuming ESPN is wrong).

The only thing I got out of Wilber's story is his little blurb at the end that the merc is going to a subscription model. Hahagahagshshaha!!!

Good luck with that! Wilner will be switching to the athletic in 3...2...1...
EricBear
Staff
Resolution near:

EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
Judge/prosecutors in FBI case not happy about the leaks:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-28/college-hoops-scandal-leaks-draw-foul-call-from-u-s-prosecutors
EricBear
Staff
I can't get enough of what a complete cluster this is. UofA so deserving of all of it.

UrsaMajor
If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. Stanfurd gets to play UofA right after the regents' meeting and will probably get a W. We don't get them until Saturday when they'll probably have regrouped...
EricBear
Staff
oskidunker
Let's hope the Bear Down
ayetee11
UrsaMajor said:

If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. Stanfurd gets to play UofA right after the regents' meeting and will probably get a W. We don't get them until Saturday when they'll probably have regrouped...

It's not like we would win either way.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
Some good comments in here:

BearSD
Dohrmann's comments seem right on the mark.

Interesting that Zona's boosters are pressuring the school administration to ride or die with Miller. It will be a circus if Miller is on the sidelines coaching that team in the NCAA tournament.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
joe amos yaks
The uArizona Board of Regents are meeting at 2 pm today (Thursday) in Phoenix, AZ.

Will donuts be served? Or will there be whine and jeez?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
EricBear
Staff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.