Vanover to Cal

18,278 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BearGreg
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bearbits
Matchup nightmare, this one is.
NYCGOBEARS
Add a little beef to him and he's going to be a beast. Go Bears!
parentswerebears
This is good.
TheSouseFamily
Nice. Happy for us and happy for him. It'll be very interesting to see how he develops and contributes. At a minimum, he'll be a KO-like presence on defense which was always under-appreciated. How his offensive game evolves over the next few years will be fun to watch. Thus far, my favorite thing about Vanover, gleaned from the interviews, is that he wants to be good. Wants to be better. I like that attitude.

Also, he seems like a smart, thoughtful guy with a good head on his shoulders who will represent the school well. Welcome on board.

(Was a little worried that O'Toole's departure might be a factor here since he seemed to be the primary contact point, but glad to see it wasn't).
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

Nice. Happy for us and happy for him. It'll be very interesting to see how he develops and contributes. At a minimum, he'll be a KO-like presence on defense which was always under-appreciated. How his offensive game evolves over the next few years will be fun to watch. Seems like a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders who will represent the school well. Welcome on board.

(Was a little worried that O'Toole's departure might be a factor here since he seemed to be the primary contact point, but glad to see it wasn't).

If he can develop like Kravish did at Cal, I'd be very happy. I do think he has a higher ceiling than David did though.
south bender
Seeing him with Wyking makes him appear taller than Kravish.

What's his height?
south bender

What's his height?
NewYorkCityBear
south bender said:

What's his height?
Listed at 7'3" which seems pretty legit given that photo and that Jones is about 6'7"
helltopay1
7'2 with shoes. 14 pounds before breakfast--15.5 pounds after breakfast. probably not as athletic as Kravish, but I will take it.
Fyght4Cal
Welcome Connor! Great to see Wyking and Co endlessly grinding and building.

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
TheSouseFamily
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Nice. Happy for us and happy for him. It'll be very interesting to see how he develops and contributes. At a minimum, he'll be a KO-like presence on defense which was always under-appreciated. How his offensive game evolves over the next few years will be fun to watch. Seems like a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders who will represent the school well. Welcome on board.

If he can develop like Kravish did at Cal, I'd be very happy. I do think he has a higher ceiling than David did though.

Agreed. His wingspan alone offers more potential defensively. Kravish really developed offensively during his time at Cal and that would definitely be a nice bar to meet or exceed.

Even though Findlay is a joke of a school (actually, it's not even a school), it's a good thing that he's been going up against some serious talent. Findlay alone has 6 high D1 players and the Findlay schedule has them playing the top programs in the country.
MilleniaBear
I'm optimistic he will be a more skilled Manute Bol and can be used similarly. In other words let him put up 3's (he has got to be better than our shooters this year!) and that will facilitate his setting up on D.
ddc_Cal
Makes me think more of Max Zhang than Kravish.

If he can shoot like Kravish, he'll be a force on both ends.

Glad he's coming.
MoragaBear
Staff
MilleniaBear said:

I'm optimistic he will be a more skilled Manute Bol and can be used similarly. In other words let him put up 3's (he has got to be better than our shooters this year!) and that will facilitate his setting up on D.
He's a 37% 3 point shooter and he can handle the ball pretty well, too. Just needs to add some bulk for under the basket.
KoreAmBear
Shawn Bradley Jr. Which would be amazing since he was a big time college basketball player.
parentswerebears
I am excited by this pick up.
ducky23
So this may help with brown, yes?
Big C
ddc_Cal said:

Glad he's coming.
Yes, he is Max Zhang with an outside shot.
parentswerebears
ducky23 said:

So this may help with brown, yes?
I sure hope so.
Big C
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

1. Kravish got better and better, but he also was a decent contributor even as a freshman. Hopefully, same for Vanover.

2. Regarding the "higher ceiling", ha ha, but maybe cool it with the tall guy jokes. He's probably heard every one of those and is tired of it.
NYCGOBEARS
Lol. It was unintentional. My bad.
parentswerebears
NYCGOBEARS said:

Sure it was. We know you.
TheSouseFamily
Big C said:

ddc_Cal said:

Glad he's coming.
Yes, he is Max Zhang with an outside shot.

He's much more mobile than Max.
concordtom
TheSouseFamily said:

He's much more mobile than Max.
you're basing that on what?
concordtom
parentswerebears said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Sure it was. We know you.
No. He owns up to his junk.
concordtom
KoreAmBear said:

Shawn Bradley Jr. Which would be amazing since he was a big time college basketball player.
He was a good athlete in lots of sports, actually.
If Connor can move like Shawn, bonanza.
But I don't think that's true based upon the very limited video I saw.
concordtom
MoragaBear said:

MilleniaBear said:

He's a 37% 3 point shooter and he can handle the ball pretty well, too. Just needs to add some bulk for under the basket.
37%???
Holy Crap!!!!
That would be amazing.
What's the sample size, though?
concordtom
ddc_Cal said:

Glad he's coming.
Right.
The only reason to compare to David is tall, skinny, and white.
But I don't think they will play the same.
Max is better compare in my mind .
If Connor plays like David plus 5 inches, then we are truly GOLDEN bears. Connor would become an NBA player with that.
MoragaBear
Staff
concordtom said:

MoragaBear said:

MilleniaBear said:

37%???
Holy Crap!!!!
That would be amazing.
17 for 46 against top prep competition
mikecohen
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

(so to speak)
mikecohen
TheSouseFamily said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Agreed. His wingspan alone offers more potential defensively. Kravish really developed offensively during his time at Cal and that would definitely be a nice bar to meet or exceed.

Even though Findlay is a joke of a school (actually, it's not even a school), it's a good thing that he's been going up against some serious talent. Findlay alone has 6 high D1 players and the Findlay schedule has them playing the top programs in the country.
That he qualified academically to come here having attended "a joke of a school (actually, it's not even a school)" speaks highly of him as a person.
mikecohen
MoragaBear said:

MilleniaBear said:

It seems like he's already way ahead of the previous project big men here - even by the time they left.
Big C
concordtom said:

MoragaBear said:

MilleniaBear said:

37%???
Holy Crap!!!!
That would be amazing.
I don't know what the sample size is (Edit: 17-46. Thanks Moraga!), but if you look at the video of him posted here on BI from a week ago, he's got a nice stroke from outside. An impressive shooter for a guy that height. And, as someone else mentioned in this thread, if he shoots from outside and misses, he'll be that much closer when he needs to get back on defense. Which leads to....

Another poster lauded his mobility. In the video, it looked like he had a bit of a tough time getting up and down court. Probably still growing into his body. Okay, so straight line speed is different from "mobility", granted, but I still see him as being something of a project. If he contributes in spots next season, I'll be happy. (Remember, Max redshirted his first year, didn't do much his second, showed some serious flashes his third, then left.)

Bottom line: Based on the other offers he got, I think we did well to get him. And if that helps us with Brown, then it'd be huge.
ddc_Cal
Hey, I'm envious. I'll own it if you don't want it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.