Jordan Brown to Nevada per twitter source

12,403 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily said:

The impact of the OAD on a program's trajectory is usually minor and I'd rather build in the mold of other programs (like USC until that went sideways) of solid 3-4 year players.

I agree a single OAD freshie won't have lasting impact. I think we'd get more from a OAD grad transfer like Grant Mullins and I'm happy to hear we may have a grad transfer big coming.

Quote:

Too late for that obviously in this cycle with the remaining spot(s) though.

I'd rather save a schollie or two for 2019 than take a chance on recruiting more players we might not want to keep.

Quote:

If you're a surefire NBA player and focused on that, the one year in school is a nuisance for the most part and a rigorous place like Cal is even a bigger nuisance.

I agree again. As far as I could tell Brown made it clear his goal is the NBA. I think he'll be prepared as well or better at Nevada than at Cal and there he'll be able to focus more on basketball. This situation reminds me of Sabrina Ionescu choosing Oregon over Cal, tough for us but understandable from her point of view.

Despite my disappointment I think our roster will be fine. Austin for Winston should be a plus at a critical position. Bradley for Coleman should be a plus, especially if Bradley is a better fit for our scheme. Gordon for McCollough should be a huge plus. Kelly lacks Lee's athleticism but may have a more rounded game and less propensity to foul out. Vanover lacks Okoroh's bulk but probably has a more rounded game and certainly has formidable length. Add the rumored grad transfer big and we should have reasonable talent, depth, and balance. I'm also expecting improvement from McNeill, Harris-Dyson, Sueing, Anticevitch, and Davis.
UCBerkGrad
Big C said:

We double our win total, showing us to be a "program on the rise".
If we double up our conference wins, we will have 4 which would have tied us for 11th in the conference last year. Baby steps?
Big C
NVGolfingBear said:

I just wonder how Mussleman is going to handle his 15 scholarship players issue. That just a merely 2 over the allowed limit...
That's the beauty of being at a Nevada: He simply gets rid of the two crappiest players. Think anybody on "Wolfpack Insider" is going to call him on that? No, they are canonizing him. The ads on "WI" are all for knee pads right now. Dick's in Reno was sold out of knee pads by 11 AM this morning.
oskidunker
We are not Nevada. MYbe we have a higher standard.
Go Bears!
Big C
UCBerkGrad said:

Big C said:

We double our win total, showing us to be a "program on the rise".
If we double up our conference wins, we will have 4 which would have tied us for 11th in the conference last year. Baby steps?
I was talkin' overall wins.

If we get "the" grad transfer, we will quadruple our conference wins, minimum. Without him, we will triple last season's total. See the long-term beauty of going 2-16 in conference in the first year of a new program?
Golden One
tequila4kapp said:

TheSouseFamily said:

tequila4kapp said:

No bueno.

Not the end of the world either. We're not gonna build the program with OAD guys like this but with 50-150 ranked 3-4 year players. I never thought Brown would end up at Cal but I am admittedly a little surprised he ended up at Nevada. As a program built on older transfers, he's gonna be a very young guy on that team playing with much older dudes. And given that many of their transfers have designs on the NBA and are running out of time and eligibility to show their skill, he may not be getting the touches and stats he wants playing with older, more dominant egos. Odd decision and odd process to get there. But good luck to him. I'm not shedding any tears personally.
I am of a like mind, mostly. I don't think you can ever dismiss the value in getting talent though. Nevada...decisions like that makes ya wonder if a kid had the brain power to make it at Cal anyway (joking about him ... but serious about Nevada)
I agree. I'm surprised he chose Nevada over Arizona, a home away from home for one-and-dones. I don't think we'll really miss him.
4thGenCal
stu said:

TheSouseFamily said:

The impact of the OAD on a program's trajectory is usually minor and I'd rather build in the mold of other programs (like USC until that went sideways) of solid 3-4 year players.

I agree a single OAD freshie won't have lasting impact. I think we'd get more from a OAD grad transfer like Grant Mullins and I'm happy to hear we may have a grad transfer big coming.

Quote:

Too late for that obviously in this cycle with the remaining spot(s) though.

I'd rather save a schollie or two for 2019 than take a chance on recruiting more players we might not want to keep.

Quote:

If you're a surefire NBA player and focused on that, the one year in school is a nuisance for the most part and a rigorous place like Cal is even a bigger nuisance.

I agree again. As far as I could tell Brown made it clear his goal is the NBA. I think he'll be prepared as well or better at Nevada than at Cal and there he'll be able to focus more on basketball. This situation reminds me of Sabrina Ionescu choosing Oregon over Cal, tough for us but understandable from her point of view.

Despite my disappointment I think our roster will be fine. Austin for Winston should be a plus at a critical position. Bradley for Coleman should be a plus, especially if Bradley is a better fit for our scheme. Gordon for McCollough should be a huge plus. Kelly lacks Lee's athleticism but may have a more rounded game and less propensity to foul out. Vanover lacks Okoroh's bulk but probably has a more rounded game and certainly has formidable length. Add the rumored grad transfer big and we should have reasonable talent, depth, and balance. I'm also expecting improvement from McNeill, Harris-Dyson, Sueing, Anticevitch, and Davis.
Its a process and given the impossible situation Coach was put in (youth, no point guard, hired after first signing period) this season has potential to be far better. How many overall wins and conf wins is TBD, but the team and staff in place will be much improved. Few people realize that Coach Jones was not able to hire his full staff - both Theo and O'Toole were "recommended" to him to hire. He now has in place a staff that he is comfortable with and can fully trust. Approach, frank discussions and internal support are key to teaching, recruiting and enthusiasm.
Too many people are convinced Coach Jones should be replaced - a reasonable assessment should be made after this upcoming season. I believe that given a third season, this staff will have us in postseason play.
bearmanpg
Let's get real here...not getting Brown is a huge disappointment...with him we are definitely relevant in the Pac12 with a chance of winning any game, any night....without him, we will have our moments but we will be under dogs in most of our conference games....I see no need to sugar coat this...it was a huge miss and it will be felt, IMO for more than 1 season....with or without unknown grad transfer.....
concordtom
For those who say we didn't need a One and Done, and want to debate the merits of recruiting high end players, I disagree and will just add the thought that nothing is guaranteed that Brown is a One and Done.

Huge miss. For 1, 2, or 3 years.
I'm very disappointed.
Chapman_is_Gone
Can I schedule a wake-up call? I'm in room 608. Please wake me up when we have a legitimate head coach, one worthy of being hired into, and coaching in, the Pac 12.

Thanks, Mike Williams. Two-plus years of Cal bball wasted.
59bear
BC Calfan said:

Surprisingly this one doesn't sting as much.

The sting will arrive later if we don't land Grand Transfer Mystery Man. If the GTMM's impact is as significant as purported then we will perhaps be in better shape. A more experienced, physically mature D-1 power forward is perhaps preferably to Jordan Brown---at least on the court. Brown is slight and probably can't create his own shot yet. I'm sure GTMM will bring better offense to the table, One downside however is the attention that Brown would have brought to the program and that he would have been the 5th NBA product for us in the past 3 years.

We HAVE to get GTMM or this one is gonna be painful.
GTMM...I love it! The basketball equivalent of Bigfoot!
JerseyGoldenBear
concordtom said:

For those who say we didn't need a One and Done, and want to debate the merits of recruiting high end players, I disagree and will just add the thought that nothing is guaranteed that Brown is a One and Done.

I'm very disappointed.
Completely agree with this as well as bearmanpg. Jaylen Brown is a stud that had 1-and-done potential and true enough, that's how it went but I'm damn glad we got him and that he played here and still follow him on the Celts. He contributed for sure and missing this Brown is a major loss, no question.
UCBerkGrad
JerseyGoldenBear said:

concordtom said:

I'm very disappointed.
Completely agree with this as well as bearmanpg. Jaylen Brown is a stud that had 1-and-done potential and true enough, that's how it went but I'm damn glad we got him and that he played here and still follow him on the Celts. He contributed for sure and missing this Brown is a major loss, no question.

The only thing I am disappointed with regarding JB is that Martin had no clue how to utilize his elite talent and skills. Brown came to Cal for the "right" reasons. More to life than just basketball.

Cal had an opportunity to show the world you can be an elite player and student. Sadly we missed the mark.

I'm a huge Brown fan and I love what he is doing in the playoffs.
concordtom
Another bummer about Jordan Brown skipping Cal is that it breaks our string of JB's
Jabari Bird
Jaylen Brown
Jaelyn Brown
Jordan Brown
stu
concordtom said:

Another bummer about Jordan Brown skipping Cal is that it breaks our string of JB's
Jabari Bird
Jaylen Brown
Jaelyn Brown
Jordan Brown
How about just beginning?
concordtom
Sounds like a slogan for Also Rans
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.