Basketball staff contacting Stone Gettings - Graduate Transfer posiibility

25,619 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
Vineyardview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Stone-Gettings/Summary/84454

Stone Gettings - Current Team: Cornell
Birthplace: Los Angeles, California (United States)
Nationality: United States
Height: 6-8 (203cm) Weight: 234 (106kg)

High School: Loyola High School [Los Angeles, California]

Key Stats
GP MIN/G PPG REB/G AST/G FG %
28 26.8 16.7 6.6 2.9 48.7

parentswerebears
Yeah, I'd be ok with him coming to Cal... That doesn't seem like our mystery GD dude, though.
socaltownie
LOL. If this is the Mystery Grad Transfer (I called it a week ago that it would be an Ivy) can we PLEASE end this experiment in on-the-job training. We have gathered sufficient data to suggest it is not a very good idea in the P5.
helltopay1
No it doesn't. Presents as a 4 and not a 5. maybe WJ is counting on getting one more scholarship in addition to the one reserved for thge MGT who should be moire of a 5 than a 4. MB?????
joe amos yaks
parentswerebears said:

Yeah, I'd be ok with him coming to Cal... That doesn't seem like our mystery GD dude, though.
Can't say.
Maybe he is.
Maybe he ain't.
He's a noseeum.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
helltopay1
OTOH, we do have a Cornell connection. see grant Mullins. maybe mullins put in a good word. he would be a plug-and-play at the 4. Is Connor ready to play the 5??Jordan Brown didn't think so.
Bobodeluxe
Is Cornell closer to Canada than Columbia?
LOUMFSG2
I'm not sure he'll be eligible this year. He's only been at Cornell for 3 years. It looks like his plan is to graduate early, but in December, so he'll sit out next year, and transfer to be eligible for the following season.

http://cornellsun.com/2018/05/15/mens-basketballs-gettings-to-delay-eligibility-and-transfer-next-season/

[MEDIA=tweet]996199009990643718[/MEDIA]
UrsaMajor
Bobodeluxe said:

Is Cornell closer to Canada than Columbia?
Yes.
helltopay1
If he comes, he still gets a scholarship even though he sits out next year, so it's highly doubtful he's the MGT. The MGT has to bet a scholarship too so WJ MUST be banking on getting either the Winston or Macullough scholarship sooner rather than later. no??????( bet means get)
parentswerebears
Just a thought, how's his d?
helltopay1
Probably a typical white kid. Slow. But he averaged 7 boards a game when he was a jr. stop asking for perfection. You are not going to get it. just hope that he comes and the MGT also comes.
SFCityBear
parentswerebears said:

Just a thought, how's his d?
Thanks for mentioning this. D is 50% of the game, after all.
Big C
socaltownie said:

LOL. If this is the Mystery Grad Transfer (I called it a week ago that it would be an Ivy) can we PLEASE end this experiment in on-the-job training. We have gathered sufficient data to suggest it is not a very good idea in the P5.
This doesn't fit the "wow profile" of the guy being referred to as of late, but his Ivy stats would seem to indicate that he could get meaningful minutes in the void that is our current front court.

Seems like grad transfers are a great way to fine-tune the roster, so I'm not exactly sure what else you're saying. They arrive ready to contribute (more or less, depending on their level).
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

OTOH, we do have a Cornell connection. see grant Mullins. maybe mullins put in a good word. he would be a plug-and-play at the 4. Is Connor ready to play the 5??Jordan Brown didn't think so.
Mullins was from Columbia. Tarwater was the guy from Cornell.

Gettings averaged 17 pts, 7 boards, 3 assists, 37% (3s), 49% FGs, 83% FTs last season at Cornell.

Tarwater averaged 7 pts, 6 boards, 1 assist, 32% (3s), 37% FGs, 83% FTs, in his last season at Cornell.
Tarwater averaged 3 pts, 3 boards, 0.5 assists at Cal, half his output at Cornell.

I'd predict a similar reduction in numbers for Gettings in the PAC12, maybe 8-9 pts, 3-4 rebs, 1-2 assists.

Mullins averaged 13 pts, 4 boards, 3 assists, 44% (3s), 47% FGs, 83% FTs in his last season at Columbia.
Mullins averaged 10 pts, 3 boards, 2 assists, 43% (3s), 42% FGs, 80% FTs at Cal.

A little lower numbers in the PAC12. Mullins was an adequate replacement at SG, when Cal really had no one else when Mathews left early. Tarwater did make one nice three to win a game. I say, take Gettings, by all means. He would likely be a step up from Roman Davis, and coach doesn't yet trust Anticevich to give him many minutes. And those Ivy League boys sure do make their free throws, which is nice to see, and can be crucial in close games.

LOUMFSG2
helltopay1 said:

If he comes, he still gets a scholarship even though he sits out next year, so it's highly doubtful he's the MGT. The MGT has to bet a scholarship too so WJ MUST be banking on getting either the Winston or Macullough scholarship sooner rather than later. no??????( bet means get)

The way I read his situation, he would not come here and get a scholarship while he sits next year. He would sit out (use his redshirt year) at Cornell next year while he finishes his degree in December. He would then be a graduate transfer to Cal for the 2019-20 season, and at that point, he would be immediately eligible as a graduate. So I do not believe he is the transfer that was being considered for the 2018-19 season. He is a potential graduate transfer next year.
socaltownie
Big C said:

socaltownie said:

This doesn't fit the "wow profile" of the guy being referred to as of late, but his Ivy stats would seem ti indicate that he could get meaningful minutes in the void that is our current front court.

Seems like grad transfers are a great way to fine-tune the roster, so I'm not exactly sure what else you're saying. They arrive ready to contribute (more or less, depending on their level).
AGAINST IVY COMPETITION!!! Yes. They have gotten better. Grant Mullin provided useful minutes and a solid kid. But the reason he would provide "useful minutes" is that we currently have NO front court.

It is really amazing how far we have regressed to the Cal mean. I can't wait for the posts about how excited we are to have a shot at making the NIT if everything breaks right.
Bobodeluxe
Can't wait. Conzo really put on a show the last time.
grantfromcal
Grant went to Columbia, Dwight Tarwater went to Cornell.
parentswerebears
grantfromcal said:

Grant went to Columbia, Dwight Tarwater went to Cornell.
So he's grantfromcolumbia...
helltopay1
Make no mistake. gettings would be a good get for 2019-2020 season. He would be thge favorite to start at the 4 slot. Assuming we get Bassey, that has the makings of a formidable lineup. austin at PG, McNeil at SG, Sueing at SF, Bassey at C and Getting at PF. very solid rotation with all the holdovers from 2018-2019 season plus Smith the shooting guard plus another big and a PG. I'm excited already. We need someone to explain why Cal would be the favorite to land Gettings. he would be a desirable transfer for lots of Pac 12 programs. He's an LA kid. Tons of d1 programs in Southern Cal alone who would want his services. No way he's the MGT. too short to entice jordan brown. also, if he's not playing until 2019-2020 , why would he enticing for brown this year?????
Civil Bear
socaltownie said:

Big C said:

socaltownie said:

L

It is really amazing how far we have regressed to the Cal mean. I can't wait for the posts about how excited we are to have a shot at making the NIT if everything breaks right.
Yeah, it's really amazing that fans of a team lacking a frontcourt player would be happy to get a decent frontcourt player. Truly amazing.
socaltownie
Civil Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Big C said:

socaltownie said:

L

Yeah, it's really amazing that fans of a team lacking a frontcourt player would be happy to get a decent frontcourt player. Truly amazing.
How is a guy that is middling in the Ivy a "decent frontcourt player" and who is to blame for a full year at the helm and no front court player except for a reed thin kid? But hey, fans of this program will apparently tolerate a lot and be willing to graps at straws.
MoragaBear
Staff
1. This is not the potential grad transfer I was referring to
2. The potential grad transfer I was referring to is a more complete, athletic inside post than Gettings
3. Gettings would be immediately eligible for most of the Pac-12 season if he transfers to Cal and I'd be glad to have him as part of the mix, if so.
4. Cal doesn't only have one "reed thin front court player." They have a 6'8 Kelly who both scores and rebounds and is thick enough to bang and they have Anticevich for backup minutes, who's working hard and 10-15 lbs up from last season. Throw the grad transfer in if that happens and you've got a more than capable front court combined with talented wings and a real point guard running the show.
5. With the grad transfer, this will be a far better team and challenge for the tourney. Without him and with another plan b forward or center, I'd still expect to almost double the wins or a little better.
calfanz
When will the muddy waters begin to clear?
Civil Bear
socaltownie said:

Civil Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Big C said:

socaltownie said:

L

How is a guy that is middling in the Ivy a "decent frontcourt player" and who is to blame for a full year at the helm and no front court player except for a reed thin kid? But hey, fans of this program will apparently tolerate a lot and be willing to graps at straws.

If not a fan, then why are you here? Trolling?
concordtom
Has anyone yet asked:

"Berkeley is getting a stoner?"

Dog bites man.
mikecohen
Civil Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Civil Bear said:

socaltownie said:

Big C said:

socaltownie said:

L

If not a fan, then why are you here? Trolling?
FWIW: Honest negativity does not equate to trolling. Trolling requires bad faith or bad intentions. If we can't always use honest negativity, we can always benefit from dealing with it. I've never read socaltownie as having bad intentions or operating out of bad faith.
parentswerebears
Nope. He was the guy who got that petition going a couple of years back. He's a good guy, just upset about the direction he thinks the program is going (or not going). One of the most passionate Cal fans here.
Big C
parentswerebears said:

Nope. He was the guy who got that petition going a couple of years back. He's a good guy, just upset about the direction he thinks the program is going (or not going). One of the most passionate Cal fans here.
Every regular on this board knows that socaltownie is a true Cal Basketball fan, not an actual troll, but the fact that Civil Bear even used the term just shows how cynical socal's posts have been lately.

Seriously, we have a chance to get a guy who could help us for a year (and only take up a schollie for that one year). How can that not be a good thing? Because it's not an even better thing?
socaltownie
Big C said:

parentswerebears said:

Every regular on this board knows that socaltownie is a true Cal Basketball fan, not an actual troll, but the fact that Civil Bear even used the term just shows how cynical socal's posts have been lately.

Seriously, we have a chance to get a guy who could help us for a year (and only take up a schollie for that one year). How can that not be a good thing? Because it's not an even better thing?
Because it delays the inevitable. There is VERY little to suggest that Jones is the guy (or probably more precisely, the guy at this stage in his career). There were moves last year that boggled the mind. The fiasco with the 2 guys we are trying to get off scholarship (but failing) is...well....a fiasco. We missed on supposedly our program changing target (which isn't that unusual....we have been talking about Bay Area program changing guys at LEAST since Gordon). We had the worst season in Cal basketball in modern history and in several games looked so bad (and uncompetitive) I simply switched the game off and did other things - something I NEVER did before.

And it gives people unrealistic hope and clouds their clearer vision. Yes, this is the AD's decision. But as fans we simply deserve better.
BeachedBear
socaltownie said:

Big C said:

parentswerebears said:

Because it delays the inevitable. There is VERY little to suggest that Jones is the guy (or probably more precisely, the guy at this stage in his career). There were moves last year that boggled the mind. The fiasco with the 2 guys we are trying to get off scholarship (but failing) is...well....a fiasco. We missed on supposedly our program changing target (which isn't that unusual....we have been talking about Bay Area program changing guys at LEAST since Gordon). We had the worst season in Cal basketball in modern history and in several games looked so bad (and uncompetitive) I simply switched the game off and did other things - something I NEVER did before.

And it gives people unrealistic hope and clouds their clearer vision. Yes, this is the AD's decision. But as fans we simply deserve better.
YES! No doubting SCTs credentials, but the rant is getting stale (just a reflection of his passion). Can't really deny anything above, but structurally, nothing was/is going to happen until a new AD was put in place. Barring unforeseen circumstance (such as criminal activity or the new AD can get Brad Stevens to come here), Jones is not going anywhere until at least end of next season.

I think SCT has to accept that last point in bold. So, the question in my mind - what to do from now until spring 2019. Three choices: Stay positive, quietly hunker down and wait it out, or keep complaining.

Most are probably hunkering down and a few are staying positive (these are the ones that still post). SCT and a few others seem to be taking option three. A few of them have really become troll-like, but SCT gets a pass in my mind, even if I disagree with his point about vision clouding.
TheSouseFamily
BearlyCareAnymore
socaltownie said:

Big C said:

parentswerebears said:

socaltownie -

As someone who was early and loud on the Fire Dykes train, I'm going to give you some advice. Feel free to take it or leave it.

1. Lay off recruits. It is never a good look. They are not to blame for coaching failures. Calling a 17/7 guy a middling player in his league is not reasonable. He may very well be a middling Pac-12 player, but he wasn't a middling Ivy player.

2. Do not obsess on every potential positive and try to turn them into negatives. It doesn't look reasonable. Signing this guy would be a nice addition. It isn't going to turn the program around. Nobody thinks it will. No one is saying to keep Jones because we might get an Ivy grad transfer. Best move is to just stay silent on this.

3. The "positives delay the inevitable" argument is always a loser. Positives are positives. When you have a negative view of a coach, always root to be wrong.

4. On the one hand, saying "fire him now" when he clearly won't be starts to fall on deaf ears. On the other hand, stick to your guns but I'd say retool your argument to how unacceptable the performance is. The conclusion to draw from that is obvious, but it stays away from the unrealistic argument to fire a guy when he won't be fired.

5. Criticize the stuff that deserves to be criticized. There is plenty of that. Edit the rest.

Honestly, I checked out this year. Once Rooks and Moore were gone, and you've clearly hired a coach that wasn't ready, the results were obviously going to be horrid. I had no intent to waste my time watching it. I might be angrier if I had.
GMP
OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

Big C said:

parentswerebears said:

socaltownie -

As someone who was early and loud on the Fire Dykes train, I'm going to give you some advice. Feel free to take it or leave it.

1. Lay off recruits. It is never a good look. They are not to blame for coaching failures. Calling a 17/7 guy a middling player in his league is not reasonable. He may very well be a middling Pac-12 player, but he wasn't a middling Ivy player.

2. Do not obsess on every potential positive and try to turn them into negatives. It doesn't look reasonable. Signing this guy would be a nice addition. It isn't going to turn the program around. Nobody thinks it will. No one is saying to keep Jones because we might get an Ivy grad transfer. Best move is to just stay silent on this.

3. The "positives delay the inevitable" argument is always a loser. Positives are positives. When you have a negative view of a coach, always root to be wrong.

4. On the one hand, saying "fire him now" when he clearly won't be starts to fall on deaf ears. On the other hand, stick to your guns but I'd say retool your argument to how unacceptable the performance is. The conclusion to draw from that is obvious, but it stays away from the unrealistic argument to fire a guy when he won't be fired.

5. Criticize the stuff that deserves to be criticized. There is plenty of that. Edit the rest.

Honestly, I checked out this year. Once Rooks and Moore were gone, and you've clearly hired a coach that wasn't ready, the results were obviously going to be horrid. I had no intent to waste my time watching it. I might be angrier if I had.
To expand a little - in fact you should be quick to praise positives. It gives you far more credibility when you criticize. If you only criticize and are silent when good things happen, people will not take your criticisms seriously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.