Basketball staff contacting Stone Gettings - Graduate Transfer posiibility

26,789 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFCityBear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OaktownBear said:

As for the melting pot comment:

Melting Pot era - Hey, we are all Americans and everyone comes and blends in and we act like they are the same. Only the same means basically White.

Post Melting Pot era - It's an insult to treat everyone the same and expect them to "act White". Chinese people eat potstickers with chopsticks and that's okay. Read, Whites are like this and Chinese People are like that.

Post Post Melting Pot era - Just because someone's Chinese doesn't mean they eat potstickers. People are who THEY are and they have their own individual histories. Don't judge them by ascribing population traits to them.

There was an episode of Barney Miller where they had the following gag. White, intellectual type police detective meets Japanese police detective. White detective is being all knowledgeable about Japanese culture and talking to Japanese police detective like he "understands" him. Japanese detective waits for him to finish and then says incredulously "I'm from Omaha!" White detective responds with "That's funny. There's a city in America with the same name!"
Okay, I see what you are saying.
I don't see how this applied to what I was saying.
It all sounds very 70's and 80's.
We've come a long way from then!!!

In this era, Henry Louis Gates is setting the record straight, which would be POST POST POST Melting Pot, I suppose.
joe amos yaks
>"-- The next time Cal recruits a 'white' player, I will probably say ' i hope it doesn't take him and hour-and-a-half to get from the top of the key to the basket.' if i say that I would hope that some viewers will refrain from typing a Ph.D dissertation on the inherent 'racism' of my remark. however, hope and 2.75 will only get me a cup of coffee. In other words, lighten up."< - h2p

I suggest you visit an ophthalmologist of your choice who should be able to prescribe bifocals for reading and viewing. You might consider the steam resistant polycarbonate lenses for reading the paper while drinking your $2.75 morning cup o' coffee.

However, don't set yourself on fire in order to keep other posters warm. Readers are free to take your comments at face value or not. This is the internets. You get what you get.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

dear Concord: i was with you until you started to apologize. Think about your case. Make your case . make your case with conviction. And, if you are convinced that your case has merit, don't apologize at the drop of a hat. Majoring in Anthropology is useful and informative when applied reasonably and judiciously; however, it rarely is a substitute for common sense and is rarely a substitute for what folks can see clearly with their eyes. are there some whites who are blazing fast??Clearly. Are there some whites who can jump high??clearly. Are there some african-americans who cannot run very fast or jump high??Clearly. but, generalizations clearly have a purpose when they are stated with mountains of supporting evidence. generalizations are never meant to be all-inclusive. most generalizations are not manufactured out of whole cloth or thin air. I stand by my statement. Those who disagree are arguing causation. i am not interested in causation. to me, it is irrelevant whether great speed and innate leaping ability is caused primarily by environmental factors, culture or hundreds of years of genetic DNA. The result is still the same. concentrate on the reality rather than the causation. This will be my last explanation of my statement. The next time Cal recruits a "white" player, I will probably say ' i hope it doesn't take him and hour-and-a-half to get from the top of the key to the basket." if i say that I would hope that some viewers will refrain from typing a Ph.D dissertation on the inherent "racism" of my remark. however, hope and 2.75 will only get me a cup of coffee. In other words, lighten up.
I hear ya.
I'm more interested in just the interesting chatter than making a statement and winning an argument.
In other words, getting along is more important to me.
Particularly with this topic, I don't want to offend. It's more important to live in harmony than be divisive, even if "right". (Trump could learn from me.)

Oh, I don't think 2.75 won't get you a cup of coffee anymore...
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

Genetically Africans have by far the most variation among all populations. In fact, there is more genetic variation on the continent of Africa than there is between the continent of Africa and everywhere else. It is very possible, for instance, that Carl Lewis has as much or more in common with you than he does with Usain Bolt (or Bolt has more in common with you than he does with Lewis). So looking at the color of skin of international Olympic athletes is not telling a genetic story.

I did not know this, but I guess it makes sense, thinking about migration patterns and such. We started in Africa, so those that remain there have had more time to mutate apart from one another.

Skin color is just ONE small aspect of all this. It's also the most obvious - visible.
But if you are going to suggest that genetics is not reason for why some populations excel in the Olympics while others don't, then I think we aren't going to be able to agree. Of course, there is SOOOO much more that goes into success. Training for one. But you gotta start with a mazeratti, at the very highest levels. I don't think you are actually trying to suggest that genes are not a factor.

I'm not saying genes are not a factor. They are a much bigger factor at the individual level than they are at the population level. I'm saying that genetically Maseratis exist in ample numbers in most racial groups. Then the factor is where those Maseratis distribute themselves. Scandinavians, for instance, don't win sprints because their Maseratis in Scandinavia mostly go into Nordic skiing.

Regardless, forget about populations. I agree with you that no matter what the cause, there is a disproportionate number of speed athletes in America coming from the Black population. If that was what hell said, I wouldn't be commenting. What he said and what you defended was that a specific player was probably a slow white kid. So is that "truth"? Basically if Cal recruits any white guy it is appropriate analysis to say he is probably slow? The people you called PC didn't say Blacks aren't faster than Whites. They said he doesn't know if this one White guy is slow.
concordtom
I'm sorry.
I didn't know I was defending that THIS white kid is slow?
I have no idea who he is.
I take it he's white?
What's his name? Is it in the thread title?

Hahaha
socaltownie
Probably some interesting genetic questions in here that are probably interesting. But the lots of words and I have ADHD tonight.

But it is unarguably the case that the concept of "Race" is a social construct. TN Coates is quite good here - even if he is building on the work of others. Without that understanding it is impossible to explain why Irish were first not (and then were) considered "white" or how convoluted you have to get to try to define why people are (or are not) classified as "Hispanic" or "Latino".

Of course (and here is where things really get dicey) one of the consequences of that social construction of Race, at least in America, is that it helps the majority ignore the fact that the presence of European genes among the "Black" population largely reflected the institutionalization and legalization of White rape of AA women for near on 300+ years.
helltopay1
can someone please explain to me how we went from white players, who are usually( but not always) slower than their african-american counterparts to the legalized rape of african-women by whites over a 300 year period??don't be afraid to use logic, historical accuracy and reason. I must have missed that part of my personal history. I'm a 80 year old white cat and I've never raped an african-american woman. Dated them???? sure--raped them??No. But, according to SoCal, I must be the exception. I wonder if I was hibernating for long periods of time. I wonder if some of the more sensitive souls on this site might weigh in on the hibernating patterns of clueless oppressive whites??If I suggested this 30 years ago, some folks might suggest I was a candidate for Napa. today??i'm probably behind the curve.
philbert
i thought we were takling about stone gettings?
socaltownie
helltopay1 said:

can someone please explain to me how we went from white players, who are usually( but not always) slower than their african-american counterparts to the legalized rape of african-women by whites over a 300 year period??don't be afraid to use logic, historical accuracy and reason. I must have missed that part of my personal history. I'm a 80 year old white cat and I've never raped an african-american woman. Dated them???? sure--raped them??No. But, according to SoCal, I must be the exception. I wonder if I was hibernating for long periods of time. I wonder if some of the more sensitive souls on this site might weigh in on the hibernating patterns of clueless oppressive whites??If I suggested this 30 years ago, some folks might suggest I was a candidate for Napa. today??i'm probably behind the curve.
LOL (I guess) but as you know from about 1550 to 1865 in the Americas there was this thing called chattel slavery.

But the important part in your post is that the definition of who is "white" and who is "black/AA" is a social construct. To look at the Dubs (fresh off their bad loss), Steph and Thompson are arguably (in pure genetic terms) more "European" than "african" - but in the social construct of how race has been defined int he US, they are inarguably considered "black".
rkt88edmo
Man, when I was at Cal it was all:
CA Prop 187 (Deny public services to illegal aliens)
CA Prop 209 (UC Regents drop race based admissions)
Book - The Bell Jar (Black people just be stupider)

These same conversations have been going on for as long as we have written records.

There are many social and political issues that have come to the fore in America in the 60s and 70s, which, in my youth didn't seem like they were that hard to solve.

In my youth I felt it was still post Vietnam, Cold War, global military industrial complex and oil concerns (Perestroika, Grenada, Ollie North, Desert Shield).

In my 20s, I thought we could make good progress on things. Participating in Calpirg, elect/veto Gray Davis, Sierra Club, other advocacy, etc.

In my 30s I felt like, really? These are still issues, ***!?!? (CA Prop 8 gay marriage)

But now, in my 40s, I accept that they may never be solved in my lifetime. I have my views, I will do what I can in conversation to try and broaden my perspectives as well as others.

Things that seem race/gender based, are so complicated in my eyes because there are so many possible variations in the root causes involved that it is very hard to pick out BROAD truisms that can be considered as RULES to apply when you have to consider:
  • We are biological organisms subject to both conscious (rational) and unconscious (hormonal/environmental) drives.
  • We seem to have developed inherent 'tribal' and personal unconscious behaviors that shape how we view and act in the world.
  • America has a seemingly unique problem with race and poverty
  • Many problems have strong social or economic roots that are attributed to race

Height bias in business
Race bias in intelligence
Our personal affinity for others based on unconscious factors
Community acceptance based on race
Concentration of poverty
Access to quality education and healthcare for all
Violence and guns in America

Dealing with all of these things at once while trying to foster the American Ethos (which I think is easier to refer to as the French ideals for LIBERTY, EQUALITY, FRATERNITY) is a really complicated problem.

Today its Occupy, Black Lives Matter, Antifa and Milo Y./Ann Coulter, & Safe Spaces, when I was at Cal it was Props 187/209, Naked Guy, Jeremy Strohmeyer (friend of David Cash), David Irving (Holocaust denier), & Campus Speech Codes.

I feel more and more akin to the philosophies that describe life as a wheel. The more things change the more they stay the same. The myth of Sisyphus, etc...

ETA: lol, the system auto censors double U tee eff...really admins? lol
UrsaMajor
I assume you meant the book, THE BELL CURVE; the Bell Jar is a novel by Sylvia Plath about depression and suicide (obviously appropriate to Cal basketball).

It is funny how perceptions change over time. It was accepted "scientific" fact in the late 19th, early 20th centuries that Jews and Asians were genetically less intelligent than Europeans (and Southern Europeans were less intelligent than Northern Europeans). More recently it was accepted "scientific" fact that Africans and African Americans were better sprinters because of fast twitch muscles, but inferior distance runners because of fewer slow twitch muscles. That was until the Kenyans and Ethiopians started winning all the Olympic and international marathons and 10k races.

OB's point about different populations selecting different sports is an important one. African Americans differentially choose basketball in part because it is the easiest game to be played in the inner cities (you don't need large fields, just room for a court) with the least equipment, and in part because it has become a cultural value. Fewer and fewer African Americans are playing baseball. I hope no one is going to claim that whites and Latinos are genetically programmed to be able to swing sticks at small balls...
Big C
UrsaMajor said:

I assume you meant the book, THE BELL CURVE; the Bell Jar is a novel by Sylvia Plath about depression and suicide (obviously appropriate to Cal basketball).

It is funny how perceptions change over time. It was accepted "scientific" fact in the late 19th, early 20th centuries that Jews and Asians were genetically less intelligent than Europeans (and Southern Europeans were less intelligent than Northern Europeans). More recently it was accepted "scientific" fact that Africans and African Americans were better sprinters because of fast twitch muscles, but inferior distance runners because of fewer slow twitch muscles. That was until the Kenyans and Ethiopians started winning all the Olympic and international marathons and 10k races.

OB's point about different populations selecting different sports is an important one. African Americans differentially choose basketball in part because it is the easiest game to be played in the inner cities (you don't need large fields, just room for a court) with the least equipment, and in part because it has become a cultural value. Fewer and fewer African Americans are playing baseball. I hope no one is going to claim that whites and Latinos are genetically programmed to be able to swing sticks at small balls...
Well, we now know that Asians and Jews are genetically MORE intelligent than Europeans: It's called progress. We have, as a society, have furthered our knowledge over the last century or so.

Just as a bit of evidence, I -- as a European American -- submit that the book in question is actually THE BELL TOLLS.

Dear potential grad transfers: If you can play, please come here anyway, despite the drivel people like me post on this board. We're just messing around. Cal's a great place!
UrsaMajor
Big C said:

UrsaMajor said:

Well, we now know that Asians and Jews are genetically MORE intelligent than Europeans: It's called progress. We have, as a society, have furthered our knowledge over the last century or so.

Just as a bit of evidence, I -- as a European American -- submit that the book in question is actually THE BELL TOLLS.

Dear potential grad transfers: If you can play, please come here anyway, despite the drivel people like me post on this board. We're just messing around. Cal's a great place!
I assume he meant the Bell Curve by Herrnstein and Murray--an argument that differences in intelligence were almost entirely genetic and that African Americans were genetically inferior.
rkt88edmo
UrsaMajor said:

Big C said:

UrsaMajor said:

I assume he meant the Bell Curve by Herrnstein and Murray--an argument that differences in intelligence were almost entirely genetic and that African Americans were genetically inferior.
Oops, yes, Bell Curve, not Bell Jar - it's all Gaussian to me

That Plathian Cal fan life tho...

Quote:

Fewer and fewer African Americans are playing baseball. I hope no one is going to claim that whites and Latinos are genetically programmed to be able to swing sticks at small balls...
Don't leave out the Japanese!
joe amos yaks
Big C said:

UrsaMajor said:

Hmm-m-m. . . maybe WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL by Alistair MacLean?
concordtom
It's possible Stone Gettings is white AND has fast twitch muscles!

Quote:

More recently it was accepted "scientific" fact that Africans and African Americans were better sprinters because of fast twitch muscles, but inferior distance runners because of fewer slow twitch muscles. That was until the Kenyans and Ethiopians started winning all the Olympic and international marathons and 10k races.

My 23&Me report on this subject

Your Wellness Result

Tom, your genetic muscle composition is common in elite power athletes.

Studies have found that almost all elite power athletes (including sprinters, throwers, and jumpers) have a specific genetic variant in a gene related to muscle composition. You have the same genetic variant as these elite athletes.

What this means for you
For most people, lifestyle and training factors drive athletic performance. At the national and international levels of competition, the genetic variant in this report seems to make a difference in athletic success, but its role for non-elite athletes isn't completely understood.

Genetics and Muscle Composition

What's in a muscle?
Our muscles are made up of two main types of fibers, called slow-twitch and fast-twitch. Fast-twitch fibers allow rapid, forceful muscle contraction the sort of contraction required for sprinting. Slow-twitch fibers contract more slowly, but they also tire less easily. Endurance athletes tend to have more slow-twitch fibers, while power athletes (including sprinters, throwers, and jumpers) tend to have more fast-twitch fibers a difference that may reflect both their genetics and their training habits.

Muscles and genetics
This report is based on a genetic marker in the ACTN3 gene. This marker controls whether muscle cells produce a protein (called alpha-actinin-3) that's found in fast-twitch muscle fibers. While some people don't produce this protein at all, almost all of the elite power athletes who have been studied have a genetic variant that allows them to produce the protein. This suggests that the protein may be beneficial at least at the highest levels of power-based athletic competition.

Genetic result

You
CC
Common result for elite power athletes

CT
Common result for elite power athletes

TT
Uncommon result for elite power athletes
See the percentage of customers with these results

About endurance athletes
Most of the elite power athletes who have been studied have a genetic variant that allows them to produce the alpha-actinin-3 protein in their muscles. Does that mean that people who don't produce this protein are more likely to be endurance athletes? Studies in mice suggest that the answer may be yes: young mice who don't make any of this protein are able to run farther without getting tired. But studies in humans have not consistently shown an endurance advantage for people who don't produce the alpha-actinin-3 protein.

Genetics isn't everything
Differences in the genetic marker used in this report may only explain about 2-3% of the difference in muscle performance between different people. In elite athletes who work intensely to reach the upper limits of their potential, that 2-3% may mean the difference between qualifying for the Olympics and missing the cut. But for the rest of us, the choices we make about how to train will far outweigh the contribution of our genetic result at this marker.

I was surprised. Cause I'm not a sprinter!! And can't dunk on a 10' rim.

Maybe Gettings will want to post his result for us. If he's "TT" then whomever started all this commentary will be justified. But I'll guess Gettings is like me, a white guy with fast twitch who still loses out to others in certain competitions. I bet 23&Me knows more about this than they reveal here!
And they wouldn't say that it "a social construct" LOL.

concordtom
I wonder what percentage of NCAA hoops players have the TT variant.

Perhaps someone here will want to read all these scientific reports (provided by 23&me) and re-post on this alleged "social construct". One of them is sure to address "race" beyond the non-comment that 23&Me does. Or one of the authors will have some better knowledge than any of us.

References
[ol]
  • Alfred T et al. (2011). "ACTN3 genotype, athletic status, and life course physical capability: meta-analysis of the published literature and findings from nine studies." Hum Mutat. 32(9):1008-18.
  • Berman Y and North KN. (2010). "A gene for speed: the emerging role of alpha-actinin-3 in muscle metabolism." Physiology (Bethesda). 25(4):250-9.
  • Druzhevskaya AM et al. (2008). "Association of the ACTN3 R577X polymorphism with power athlete status in Russians." Eur J Appl Physiol. 103(6):631-4.
  • Eynon N et al. (2013). "Genes for elite power and sprint performance: ACTN3 leads the way." Sports Med. 43(9):803-17.
  • Guth LM and Roth SM. (2013). "Genetic influence on athletic performance." Curr Opin Pediatr. 25(6):653-8.
  • Lee FX et al. (2016). "How does -actinin-3 deficiency alter muscle function? Mechanistic insights into ACTN3, the 'gene for speed'." Biochim Biophys Acta. 1863(4):686-93.
  • Ma F et al. (2013). "The association of sport performance with ACE and ACTN3 genetic polymorphisms: a systematic review and meta-analysis." PLoS One. 8(1):e54685.
  • MacArthur DG et al. (2007). "Loss of ACTN3 gene function alters mouse muscle metabolism and shows evidence of positive selection in humans." Nat Genet. 39(10):1261-5.
  • MacArthur DG et al. (2008). "An Actn3 knockout mouse provides mechanistic insights into the association between alpha-actinin-3 deficiency and human athletic performance." Hum Mol Genet. 17(8):1076-86.
  • Moran CN et al. (2007). "Association analysis of the ACTN3 R577X polymorphism and complex quantitative body composition and performance phenotypes in adolescent Greeks." Eur J Hum Genet. 15(1):88-93.
  • North KN et al. (1999). "A common nonsense mutation results in alpha-actinin-3 deficiency in the general population." Nat Genet. 21(4):353-4.
  • Vincent B et al. (2007). "ACTN3 (R577X) genotype is associated with fiber type distribution." Physiol Genomics. 32(1):58-63.
  • Wilson JM et al. (2012). "The effects of endurance, strength, and power training on muscle fiber type shifting." J Strength Cond Res. 26(6):1724-9.
  • Yan Z et al. (2011). "Regulation of exercise-induced fiber type transformation, mitochondrial biogenesis, and angiogenesis in skeletal muscle." J Appl Physiol. 110(1):264-74.
  • Yang N et al. (2003). "ACTN3 genotype is associated with human elite athletic performance." Am J Hum Genet. 73(3):627-31.
  • Zierath JR and Hawley JA. (2004). "Skeletal muscle fiber type: influence on contractile and metabolic properties." PLoS Biol. 2(10):e348.
  • [/ol]
    concordtom
    Full disclaimer, or in case some out there are interested in how 23&me reports work:

Your Results for All 151 Tested Populations
    Population
    Match Strength
    Percent

* European100%
    Of which:
    * British & Irish68.8% (United KingdomIreland)
    * French & German17.4% (SwitzerlandAustriaBelgiumFranceGermanyLuxembourgNetherlands)
    * Finnish0.2%
    * Balkan0.1%(Although we've detected Balkan DNA in your ancestral breakdown, we have not identified more specific locations that your recent ancestors may have called home:AlbaniaBosnia and HerzegovinaBulgariaCroatiaGreeceMacedoniaMoldovaMontenegroRomaniaSerbia)
    * Sardinian0.0%
    * Italian0.0% (ItalyMalta)
    * Iberian0.0% (PortugalSpain)
    * Scandinavian0.0% (DenmarkIcelandNorwaySweden)
    * Eastern European0.0% (BelarusCzech RepublicEstoniaHungaryLatviaLithuaniaPolandRussiaSlovakiaSloveniaUkraine)
    * Ashkenazi Jewish0.0%
    * Broadly Northwestern European13.0%
    * Broadly Southern European0.2%
    * Broadly European0.3%

Other macro-regions:
    Western Asian & North African0.0%
    Sub-Saharan African0.0%
    South Asian0.0%
    East Asian & Native American
    0.0%Melanesian0.0%
    Unassigned0.0%

socaltownie
    CT -

Genetics do not equal race.

That is the critical issue here. Plus from, one of your links (randomly selected based on title.....

Genetic influence on athletic performance.
    Guth LM1, Roth SM.
    Author information

Abstract
    PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
    To summarize the existing literature on the genetics of athletic performance, with particular consideration for the relevance to young athletes.
    RECENT FINDINGS:
    Two gene variants, ACE I/D and ACTN3 R577X, have been consistently associated with endurance (ACE I/I) and power-related (ACTN3 R/R) performance, though neither can be considered predictive. The role of genetic variation in injury risk and outcomes is more sparsely studied, but genetic testing for injury susceptibility could be beneficial in protecting young athletes from serious injury. Little information on the association of genetic variation with athletic performance in young athletes is available; however, genetic testing is becoming more popular as a means of talent identification. Despite this increase in the use of such testing, evidence is lacking for the usefulness of genetic testing over traditional talent selection techniques in predicting athletic ability, and careful consideration should be given to the ethical issues surrounding such testing in children.
    SUMMARY:
    A favorable genetic profile, when combined with an optimal training environment, is important for elite athletic performance; however, few genes are consistently associated with elite athletic performance, and none are linked strongly enough to warrant their use in predicting athletic success.
    concordtom
    I'm going to post more on fast twitch and genetics on Off Topic for those who wish to continue.
    helltopay1
    The next time Cal recruits a player who appears to be white( we must now make allowances for the 45,987 variables inherent in skin color) i promise not to say he will probably be slower and cannot jump as high as his seemingly black counterpart. I will say something. It's just that I'll have to consult with a phalanx of lawyers before I decide which areas of discussion are "safe", and which areas will wind up before the ninth circuit. does anyone ever get the feeling/thought that the more classes we take the greater its our tendency to over-complicate issues which are usually axiomatic to sharp four-year-olds? Tom wolfe certainly thought so. one of his greatest thrills in life was to make fun of 'intellectuals." His greatest observation was that there was usually a tremendous disparity between what "intellectuals" said and what they actually did. In other words, for these folks, phoniness and hypocrisy are always in abundant supply. Time for breakfast.
    helltopay1
    Breakfast is over. reuben Foster should be returning to the v49ers soon. But--let's be clear: One more serious accusation against this volatile young man and he's toast. ( without jam or butter) The track record does not give pause for optimism. but I'll be rooting for him.
    oskidunker
    is he wearing Micky Mouse ears?
    Go Bears!
    GMP
    helltopay1 said:

Breakfast is over. reuben Foster should be returning to the v49ers soon. But--let's be clear: One more serious accusation against this volatile young man and he's toast. ( without jam or butter) The track record does not give pause for optimism. but I'll be rooting for him.
    So you're holding this false accusation against him? Otherwise, he has a misdemeanor marijuana possession arrest, he was at a night club when a friend was shot, and he was sent home from the combine. That's a track record? And one more serious accusation and he's toast? Did this woman's false accusations teach you nothing? How about waiting until the next accusation is actually proven before declaring him toast?
    helltopay1
    Dear GMP: Yeah---he's a real choir boy. 31 other NFL teams passed on him because of character concerns. Don't you follow the NFL draft??As i said, I'm rooting for him. And, I repeat what I said: one more serious accusation involving drugs, domestic abuse, or 'loaded weapons and the 49ers will conclude that thge costs of keeping him outweigh thge benefits. it is not uncommon for women to recant their testimony for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, the accused agrees to pay the accuser for the recantation. The 49ers are very sensitive to accusations that they harbor star players when mediocre players are dismissed for the same accusations. The 49ers will not want to be burned again. in this case, I make no suppositions or judgments. I'm simply saying he will be on a very short lease. but I do thank you for your observations.
    GMP
    helltopay1 said:

Dear GMP: Yeah---he's a real choir boy. 31 other NFL teams passed on him because of character concerns. Don't you follow the NFL draft??As i said, I'm rooting for him. And, I repeat what I said: one more serious accusation involving drugs, domestic abuse, or 'loaded weapons and the 49ers will conclude that thge costs of keeping him outweigh thge benefits. it is not uncommon for women to recant their testimony for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, the accused agrees to pay the accuser for the recantation. The 49ers are very sensitive to accusations that they harbor star players when mediocre players are dismissed for the same accusations. The 49ers will not want to be burned again. in this case, I make no suppositions or judgments. I'm simply saying he will be on a very short lease. but I do thank you for your observations.
    I understand that, and it's a very serious concern anytime a domestic violence accuser recants their accusations. But that doesn't appear to be the case here:

Quote:

Where once Ennis claimed to police that he struck her eight to 10 times with a closed fist (resulting in a perforated eardrum, an injury that surely couldn't be manufactured, right?), her testimony at Thursday's preliminary hearing implicated her as the abuser. She went bonkers after he tried to end their relationship the morning of Feb. 11, and attacked him with a clothes hanger. She admitted he kept running away from her, even locking her out of their Los Gatos home, but she broke through the back door to confront him.

That horrendous claim she made of Foster throwing her bulldog across the room a sickening visual that added to the picture of an out-of-control hulking psychopath? It never happened! The dog showed no signs of abuse, according to a police officer's testimony. Why would Ennis accuse Foster of animal abuse?

"Because I was pissed and I wanted to end him," she replied from the witness stand.

"No, sir. Not once," she said, when prosecutor Kevin Smith asked if Foster ever hit her.

And here I do believe her, because even though victims of domestic violence sometimes recant if they've been paid off, or if they don't want their abusers to go to jail, or if they're simply afraid, Ennis, through her extensive testimony, proved her selfish desire was to "trash his career." She admitted to stealing money and two Rolex watches from Foster, but swore he never offered her a cent to retract her allegations.

As revenge plots go, Ennis' was both diabolical and fantastical. Her injuries, including the ruptured eardrum? Turns out she sustained them during a fight with another woman following a road rage incident in San Francisco on the night of Feb. 10. Prosecutors knew about this, even saw a videotape of the fight, but oddly chose to ignore it and proceed with felony domestic violence charges against Foster, for which he faced up to 10 years in prison.

It's not clear if the DA's office was aware Ennis had also falsely accused a former boyfriend of domestic violence in Louisiana in 2011, after he, too, tried to break up with her. This is the same case where she was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated assault in Baton Rouge, though they were dismissed in September of 2013.

https://theathletic.com/361074/2018/05/20/olson-after-damaging-false-accusations-how-does-reuben-foster-regain-his-reputation/

The above is why I find it incredible you'd hold this against him. His other "character concerns" you note are minor, as far as I understand them. And, no, I don't put much weight into what NFL teams think going into a draft.
    helltopay1
    NFL teams are so sophisticated with their social apps, investigations and computers that all teams begin to file 'personality inventories" on players when they are high school freshman. so, if you will allow me to exaggerate slightly, NFL teams know more about players when they apply for the draft than do their parents. I know for a fact that there were 6 NFL teams who took Foster off their board totally and would not have drafted Foster if he were available in the 7th round. The fact that you did not know this or even care about this clearly shows that, at least in this area, you are operating with almost no knowledge and a healthy dose of wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with those two traits. Most of us go through life with an abundance of those two traits. In this area, I have an advantage over you. I used to work for the 49ers in 1975-1976 and I still have contacts with a couple of old-time scouts. I'm also a great 49er fan. so, I'm rooting for this lad. I hope he overcomes those areas of his personality which have gotten him in trouble in thge past. I don't know what else I can tell you.
    Econ141
    A couple years ago I was waiting impatiently to see if we'd sign Rabb, Brown, and hopefully Swanigan. Now I'm on pins and needles hoping a mediocre transfer from Cornell finds us worthy of his services.

How things change.
    joe amos yaks
    The difference is Swanigan.
    concordtom
    caleb swanigan?
    Hmmm.

2017, Portland Trail Blazers
    Round: 1 / Pick: 26

2017-18
    Games

MINS

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%
    joe amos yaks
    Had Swanigan been allowed to come it would have been a much better season. Instead PU got the gifted CS.
    parentswerebears
    concordtom said:

caleb swanigan?
    Hmmm.

2017-18
    Games

MINS

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

Yeah, but he was a beast at Purdue. His second year, he made the really dramatic leap that everyone thought Rabb would make.
    petalumabear
    concordtom said:

caleb swanigan?
    Hmmm.

2017-18
    Games

MINS

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%
    Yeah but how many dominate in their first year in the league? He was an unusual player who was stronger than most playing his position and more athletic as well. He had the 3 ball which helped him play inside/outside. he's go to adapt to the league and we should now more after his second year. But I totally agree with the other poster that if we'd had him at Cal (college game vs pro) we would have been a far different team.
    concordtom
    I haven't thought about it in a while, but looking back, while it would have been fantastic to play with Ivan and jalen, don't you think that the guardian dad made a good decision in not choosing Martin?
    SFCityBear
    joe amos yaks said:

Had Swanigan been allowed to come it would have been a much better season. Instead PU got the gifted CS.
    Usually I am in agreement with most or all of what you write, but I puzzle over this one, for a lot of reasons. Why do you think Swanigan would have made the 2015-16 Cal team a lot better? Is it just because he had a top 20 recruit ranking? Didn't we have enough highly ranked recruits? Many teams have won conferences and NCAA championships with lower ranked recruits, haven't they? Cal was loaded, compared to past Cal teams, and loaded compared to many of the teams they played. The old clich, "there is only one basketball" defined that team offensively, as they failed to share that ball as a good team should. Cal started Brown, a top 5 recruit, Rabb, a top 10, Bird, a top 20, Wallace, a top 100, and a good 4-star in Mathews. Ideally, they could have had a better center, a point guard who could distribute, and a better bench. But they underachieved for what they had, IMO, even before the injuries.

Swanigan played well at Purdue, but as a freshman, he played PF opposite a 7-0 senior center, perhaps the team's best player, and another 7-2, 300 lb center backing him up. He did not have the pressure to man the post and control the paint that he would have had playing center at Cal. And he played in an offense that shared the ball, unlike Cuonzo Martin's offense. Purdue made 64% of their points with the help of an assist, while Cal made only 48% of theirs by way of an assist. Cal basically had their one-on-one players taking most of their shots, Brown, Wallace, and Mathews. Fans clamored for Rabb to get the ball more, and Bird should have touched the ball more as well, but Cal struggled a lot to get the ball to other players or to get the players open looks. Swanigan would have been one more player asking for the ball and not getting it as much as he might like.

Swanigan would have replaced Rooks or Okoroh in the starting lineup. Caleb played 26 minutes at Purdue, and Rooks and KO combined for 28 minutes at Cal. Caleb averaged 10 pts, 8 rebs, 2 assists, 3 TOs, 0.2 blocks, 2 PFs, and 46% shooting. Rooks and KO combined averaged 6 pts, 7 rebs, 1 assist, 1 TO, 1.9 blocks, 5 PFs, and 58% shooting. Caleb, IMO, would have given Cal a few more points with his scoring and an assist, but would likely have cost some points with his turnovers, while Rooks and KO shot a much better percentage and their shot blocks and paint defense perhaps reduced the opponents' scoring by a few points. Maybe Swanigan helps, but not enough to make that team a lot better, IMO. Under a different coach, with an actual offensive system, Swanigan could have more impact.

Petaluma mentioned Swanigan could shoot threes as well. Then he would be another player making threes at a low percentage. In 2016, Brown and Wallace took way too many threes, IMO, and shot them at 29%. Pathetic. What was really pathetic about it was that Martin allowed it, maybe encouraged it. Caleb shot threes as a freshman at 29%. I can say now I'd rather have Rooks or KO attempt any kind of shot at 58% than see Swanigan shoot a three at a 29% success rate.

What would have helped that Cal team more than a Swanigan would have been a real "think pass-first" point guard. Not necessarily as great as Jason Kidd or a Lonzo Ball, but maybe a TJ McConnell, to get the ball to all the stars for open shots. Even a Charlie Moore. And as things turned out, with Wallace and Bird getting hurt at the end of the season, Cal could have used another shooting guard, someone like Christopher or Grant Mullins, to come off the bench when Bird went down. Unfortunately that Cal team was greatly limited by the strategy of the coach which was so simple, it was easy to defend. They had enough recruits to win more games, but the Stone Age Neanderthal coaching of Cuonzo Martin held them back, IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.