Chronicle story on basketball team makeover

18,709 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Civil Bear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As for us being cut throat wanting wins and not caring what happens to 19 year olds, my kid is 12. She is in a team where she will play the season unless there is a transgression. However, next season she will have to make the team again. She has been on such teams since she was 9. I know teams like this that have 7 year olds

Has nothing to do with our situation here. My kids are on those teams, too. And I sometimes run them. I have had to deal with cuts, too.
concordtom
The ENTIRE reason for the promise was that poor kids who lost their spots on the team because of performance or the coach not liking them or a new coach being hired or to recruit over them lost their scholarship also and frequently had to drop out with no degree because they couldn't afford to continue. In many cases they were the first in their family to go to college. This was a terrible result. So the promise was to give them a four year scholarship so they could graduate no matter what happened in their sport. Because they are supposed to be students. Education is supposed to be why they are in college.

Excellent point. I have no problems here.
I am not saying the kids MUST play. I'm saying the coach shoots himself in foot by being down 2 players.
UrsaMajor
concordtom said:

The ENTIRE reason for the promise was that poor kids who lost their spots on the team because of performance or the coach not liking them or a new coach being hired or to recruit over them lost their scholarship also and frequently had to drop out with no degree because they couldn't afford to continue. In many cases they were the first in their family to go to college. This was a terrible result. So the promise was to give them a four year scholarship so they could graduate no matter what happened in their sport. Because they are supposed to be students. Education is supposed to be why they are in college.

I am not saying the kids MUST play. I'm saying the coach shoots himself in foot by being down 2 players.
Valid point; except that it is a trade-off. Keeping them means he's not down 2 players, but also that he can't recruit for those positions. Obviously, if AM and DW choose to stay at Cal for 4 years (unlikely, btw), he loses. If they transfer, he gets to re-recruit for those positions. Given the fact that if they do want to play basketball, it is likely that they will leave (next year, if not this), he's better off in the long run.
socaltownie
concordtom said:

The problem I think is that you are conflating a couple of arguments (or at least it SEEMS you are).

Few of us would disagree that it probably is less than ideal to play with 11 rather than 13. It means, at a bare minimum, that your 7-8 man rotation is pretty much going up always against walk ons in practice. Not ideal. Bet it shows next year on the court.

But that is a competence and coaching thing. It will, in the end, be determined by Ws and Ls - just like a coaching decision about whether to play zone or good or bad game management. It is a profession where results are clear, stark and have clear consequences.

The issue is that your arguments have also drifted toward "They got rides, they have a right to be on the team." That is where a lot of us have issues. It undercuts what we understand to be the role of _A_ coach (not just jones). It conflates the obligation of the university to honor the scholarship with the privilege to suit up for Cal. It is this second point where a lot of us disagree.

And finally, I think very few are arguing that the 4-year guarantee isn't the right thing to do...or at least I hope not.
tequila4kapp
socaltownie said:

concordtom said:

The problem I think is that you are conflating a couple of arguments (or at least it SEEMS you are).

Few of us would disagree that it probably is less than ideal to play with 11 rather than 13. It means, at a bare minimum, that your 7-8 man rotation is pretty much going up always against walk ons in practice. Not ideal. Bet it shows next year on the court.

But that is a competence and coaching thing. It will, in the end, be determined by Ws and Ls - just like a coaching decision about whether to play zone or good or bad game management. It is a profession where results are clear, stark and have clear consequences.

The issue is that your arguments have also drifted toward "They got rides, they have a right to be on the team." That is where a lot of us have issues. It undercuts what we understand to be the role of _A_ coach (not just jones). It conflates the obligation of the university to honor the scholarship with the privilege to suit up for Cal. It is this second point where a lot of us disagree.

And finally, I think very few are arguing that the 4-year guarantee isn't the right thing to do...or at least I hope not.
EXACTLY correct.

The system is working perfectly:
- The coach screwed up in his evaluation of two players. The correction of that mistake may show on the court next season, in which case his employment may be at risk (a proper result for two errors on a core competency).
- The players aren't good enough to play at this level so they aren't on the team. Cutting bad players from competitive sports teams is appropriate and normal.
- The kids have the opportunity to succeed academically for free. It's refreshing to see the "student" part of student athlete matter.
- The kids can choose to play somewhere else if they value that experience more than a Cal degree. Options for these kids is a good thing.

Hell, I could even get on board with the idea that schools should get the scholarships back if kids are cut from the team.
oskidunker
Maybe the next coach will reinstate them ifbthey are still here. Might be interesting and a first in college basketball.
Go Bears!
concordtom
Ha!
That sure would be something.
Never thought of THAT.
concordtom
I finally explained all this to my wife, and to my pleasure she stated:

"Sounds like he didn't know the rules. He shouldn't have brought them in in the first place. 'This year is gonna suck, so I'm gonna keep my power dry and recruit next year when I have more time'."

I'm proud of her. She's very smart.
BearGoggles
concordtom said:

I finally explained all this to my wife, and to my pleasure she stated:

"Sounds like he didn't know the rules. He shouldn't have brought them in in the first place. 'This year is gonna suck, so I'm gonna keep my power dry and recruit next year when I have more time'."

I'm proud of her. She's very smart.

She married you, so I guess we're all left to draw our own conclusions.
BearGoggles
Only (some) Cal fans could be outraged that Cal is doing something (managing its roster) that happens at every other D-1 school.

And those of you claiming that somehow Cal would be better off with 13 on the roster than the 11 are ignoring the problems Winston (and his father) have caused. Those problems were evident before Winston was cut and with Paris playing next year, the complaints were only going to get worse. Addition by subtraction with him for sure. With McCullough, that may not be the case, but Jones is doing him a favor by telling him (now) that he'll never play.

Jones made recruiting mistakes and he's doing what he can - within the rules - to address that. Winston and McCullough were never promised playing time or a spot on the Cal roster. It is their choice if they want to stay for school. But by no means have Cal and/or Jones mistreated them - at least there is no credible evidence of that so far.
BearGoggles
UrsaMajor said:

concordtom said:

Valid point; except that it is a trade-off. Keeping them means he's not down 2 players, but also that he can't recruit for those positions. Obviously, if AM and DW choose to stay at Cal for 4 years (unlikely, btw), he loses. If they transfer, he gets to re-recruit for those positions. Given the fact that if they do want to play basketball, it is likely that they will leave (next year, if not this), he's better off in the long run.
It is not a valid point. Would you want Winston on your team given how he and his father have behaved? And for the record some of that behavior pre-dates Winston being cut.
oskidunker
so Chauca must be lying. How do we know that isvtrue? He saud. She said.
Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
BearGoggles said:

UrsaMajor said:

concordtom said:

It is not a valid point. Would you want Winston on your team given how he and his father have behaved? And for the record some of that behavior pre-dates Winston being cut.
What I meant is that it is a valid point that keeping two "scholarship" players as opposed to having only 11 is valid. Whether or not there are problems with these specific players was not something I was referring to.

And just to add, Concordtom's wife is wrong that WJ didn't know the rules. He told them that they were free to stay if they wished, or could go elsewhere.
UrsaMajor
oskidunker said:

so Chauca must be lying. How do we know that isvtrue? He saud. She said.
It's not he said/he said (just which one of them were you calling a woman?).

Without going into detail that doesn't belong on a forum, Chauca was released for reasons primarily off the court.
concordtom
Ba-dum-ching
That was funny.
That's what she tells me when I give her my appreciations.
concordtom
BearGoggles said:

Only (some) Cal fans could be outraged that Cal is doing something (managing its roster) that happens at every other D-1 school.

And those of you claiming that somehow Cal would be better off with 13 on the roster than the 11 are ignoring the problems Winston (and his father) have caused. Those problems were evident before Winston was cut and with Paris playing next year, the complaints were only going to get worse. Addition by subtraction with him for sure. With McCullough, that may not be the case, but Jones is doing him a favor by telling him (now) that he'll never play.

Jones made recruiting mistakes and he's doing what he can - within the rules - to address that. Winston and McCullough were never promised playing time or a spot on the Cal roster. It is their choice if they want to stay for school. But by no means have Cal and/or Jones mistreated them - at least there is no credible evidence of that so far.

"Those problems were evident before Winston was cut" -- what problems? Are you suggesting jones cut Winston bc the dad is too vocal?

"something (managing its roster) that happens at every other D-1 school." -- I've never heard of a school yielding a scholarship and roster spot while the student continues as student but not team contributor.

Do you recall Geli? Braun assigned him to paperwork, tracking stats or something on the bench during games.

concordtom
UrsaMajor said:

And just to add, Concordtom's wife is wrong that WJ didn't know the rules. He told them that they were free to stay if they wished, or could go elsewhere.

She meant he didn't know the rules when he first offered them 13 months ago, not recently. I agree. Better to keep powder dry than commit to 4 years.
concordtom
BearGoggles said:

I am unaware of any such problems so don't include thought of it into my opinion on the matter.
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

UrsaMajor said:

She meant he didn't know the rules when he first offered them 13 months ago, not recently. I agree. Better to keep powder dry than commit to 4 years.

Hmmm. Keeping your powder dry. That might be good advice to someone who makes about 18 completely speculative assumptions, most of which are wrong, and then goes on a weeks long public tirade about someone's ethics based on those assumptions
wifeisafurd
There is a major assumption that the players will be replaced right away, and I'm not seeing that even with all the noise about grad transfers and Bassey. Maybe some of this pie in the sky pans out this year and its just the glacial pace with which Cal moves that makes it seem like nonsense. But my suspicion is that basketball is a several year rebuild, the two present players will have worked it out and are other programs, and ultimately Cal will be benefitted by the fact there are some good recruiters on the coaching staff, particularly Grace.
Civil Bear
UrsaMajor said:

He told them that they were free to stay if they wished, or could go elsewhere.

What are you basing that on? He could have said go and they said no we think we'll at least finish out the semester. Did Jones really think they would choose to give up their schollies mid semester?
concordtom
Lol.
Good repartee
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

BearGoggles said:

I am unaware of any such problems so don't include thought of it into my opinion on the matter.

I have to point out that when people talk about the possible negative behaviors of the players, you respond that you don't know if the allegations are true or not so you won't factor them in to your opinion. But you don't give the same respect to the coaching staff. You seem to believe every accusation made or claim to not be naive and know how these things work. If you are going to discount info on one side, you need to do it equally on the other.

I've heard it was pretty bad with Winston and his father. If what I've heard is true, the right decision was made with respect to him. Big if. I don't know if it is true. However, no bigger if than what you are basing your opinions of Jones on. My issue here is you decided with very limited and one sided facts that you know what happened and you won't consider anything that might change that narrative.

There are like a thousand different hypotheticals that could be true based on the limited information we know. Some make Jones look terrible. Some make the players look terrible. Most in between. I have a real issue going after someone's ethics when you don't know what happened.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

concordtom said:

This thread was about the Chronicle story.
Notice I haven't spoken about the Chauca situation. It was done within the rules for Jones to gain an open scholarship while allowing The kid to keep his scholarship.
But who did Jones gain on the court by doing so? Honest question, I forget.

And Who will Jones gain by cutting DW and AM?

That's my point.
Those of you who think I think they should play on the court are kinda missing my point, that Jones has shot himself in the foot while not helping his student athletes out.

Anyways, most of the posters here disagree with me, and I accept that. It's okay. I just would have gone about it differently. My recruits woulda been my charges, and I'd have looked at them as developing individuals, not mercenary basketball players. Then again, I'm not making Jones' salary. And I coach a good bit of youth soccer, so I'm all about player development, individual growth, working with what I got.

Cheers, off to swim meet announcing.
you know, Tom, I kinda agree with you about looking at players as charges. The problem is, however, that Jones is paid to win games and will be fired if he doesn't. Unfortunately, in today's D1 sports, growth and development and $3 gets you a cup of coffee on your way out the door.

As for what Jones gets by cutting DW and AM, if they stay at Cal 4 years, he gets nothing. If they leave, he gets 2 scholarships he can use on better players.
I don't disagree. I do see the relationship between coach and player a little differently. One of the main purposes of amateur sports, including intercollegiate team sports is to help young men and women mature, and that means building character, teaching athletes to work together for team success, teaching them about competition, respect, and how to handle winning and losing.

On a college basketball team, maybe one player goes on to play in the NBA, and one or two more to play overseas. One or two might go into coaching, and a couple more might choose sports media as a career. For the rest, learning basketball skills is practically useless after college, except teach your kids to play the game, if they are interested. Or maybe to be able to wad a piece of paper into a ball, and shoot it across the room into a waste basket to impress your girlfriend.

The coach is hired or fired on his ability to produce winners, fill seats, and not soil the University's reputation. The problem with this thread is that we really don't know what was said between the coach and each player. I am particularly interested to know what Jones told each player at the time he offered the scholarship, about what it represented. He has said that the signing of the two was late and hasty decision, but he must have or should have told them at the time what the scholarship meant, knowing they were marginal recruits. He must have known that in this rebuilding there would be casualties, and he should have informed those players that the scholarship did not mean they had 4-year spots on the team, but that they would have the spots for a year, but after that new players would be arriving, and it would mean they would still have to compete to earn their spots on the team for another year. I believe the 4-year scholarship was mandated by the PAC12, so Cal would have had to honor the scholarships if the players were cut and decided to remain at Cal as students. If the players did not receive that information as recruits, then that does not say much about how we recruit the lower ranked or unranked recruit.

I am concerned about how the players were cut. Both of them must have known this might happen, as by the end of the season, they were rarely playing, compared to the first half of the season. Winston had even started the opener at point guard. I never thought McCullogh was given much chance. He rarely took more than one shot in a game, and that isn't enough to even get warm or comfortable. He could not create, so maybe he needed a screen in front of him, but Cal's offense did not run that, did they?

I am concerned about cutting freshmen who are "not PAC12" level. I remember Sam Singer who arrived as also "not PAC12" level, a fact pointed out by many fans on the BI. And yet Sam worked his tail off, improved each year, and became a serviceable backup PAC12 point guard, with very good defensive skills (nearly all learned at Cal), and a decent passer. Perhaps Jones did not see that competitive drive in Winston or McCullough. But it looks like both players realized they had little value, and would be cut by season's end. It is important whether or not they were told of this possibility as recruits. The way the players' families have reacted may mean maybe they were not told. Or maybe they are just being parents defending their kids a little too much. We just don't know.

As for CT, I sympathize with him, but I think he is being pretty creative based on a story he read in the Chronicle which is no better than the rest of the country's newspapers when it comes to sticking with the facts. I gave up reading that rag years ago.

concordtom
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

BearGoggles said:

I have to point out that when people talk about the possible negative behaviors of the players, you respond that you don't know if the allegations are true or not so you won't factor them in to your opinion. But you don't give the same respect to the coaching staff. You seem to believe every accusation made or claim to not be naive and know how these things work. If you are going to discount info on one side, you need to do it equally on the other.

I've heard it was pretty bad with Winston and his father. If what I've heard is true, the right decision was made with respect to him. Big if. I don't know if it is true. However, no bigger if than what you are basing your opinions of Jones on. My issue here is you decided with very limited and one sided facts that you know what happened and you won't consider anything that might change that narrative.

There are like a thousand different hypotheticals that could be true based on the limited information we know. Some make Jones look terrible. Some make the players look terrible. Most in between. I have a real issue going after someone's ethics when you don't know what happened.
Totally fair, and I respect what you are saying.
I didn't think I was believing any rumors about Jones. I thought I was just looking at the situation and understanding it.
I don't understand why those two would be let go unless it was to create room for others. There have been no transgressions that invalidate their student athlete standing, and if there were, no way would Jones eat 2 slots.

That Jones is willing to eat 2 slots tells me that the narrative where he simply was trying to ship them to create room for better players is accurate. What else has been said negative about Jones that I've been speaking of?
concordtom
The first I read of it was on this site. Then on cbg. Nothing else.
The Chauca article was a separate deal that has little to do with this. The Chronicle article was stupid and meaningless.
concordtom
You said: I never thought McCullogh was given much chance.

I think AM was given plenty of time early. He was in a rotation and played minutes in the middle of games. He simply wasn't mentally ready. Understandable. 18 years old. Far from home. I was a knucklehead at that edge and now I send my eldest to college in 2 months. I get it. No shame!

concordtom
You said: I am concerned about cutting freshmen who are "not PAC12" level. I remember Sam Singer who arrived as also "not PAC12" level, a fact pointed out by many fans on the BI. And yet Sam worked his tail off, improved each year, and became a serviceable backup PAC12 point guard, with very good defensive skills (nearly all learned at Cal), and a decent passer.

You only make my case for me... And I was not a fan of SS's athletic ability, I know you recall.
I was excited about his ppg coming in, but that did not translate.

I view it as, a coach is a mentor, a father figure, molding youth into men.
Others view it as a profit center (which it is) and no hard feelings.

I'm not sure which it should be.
I say, "pay the kids the tv contract money and then I'd care less. Welcome to the working world!" I guess I do have an opinion how it should be.

Hypocritical how the NCAA wants to be amateurish in one regard but not the other. Put that in your pipe and smoke it (I say to my detractors).
Civil Bear
wifeisafurd said:

There is a major assumption that the players will be replaced right away...

There WAS that assumption based on the timing of their attempted release and the hints of big news coming that day. Unfortunately that ship has sailed.
helltopay1
dear CC: The Chronicle has been stupid & meaningless for over half a century. I exaggerate only slightly.
BearGoggles
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

BearGoggles said:

I mostly agree with your post, but as to the bolded part, there are some things we do know. We know based on his own twitter postings during the season (BEFORE the roster cuts) that Winston's dad was already grousing about playing time and other matters. And whatever concerns/reservations there where about Winston and his dad prior to the roster cuts, we know how Winston's dad acted after the cuts which only reinforces that Winston and his dad were not a good fit. Three more years of Winston the roster but not playing would be a disaster.
tequila4kapp
concordtom said:

I don't understand why those two would be let go unless it was to create room for others. There have been no transgressions that invalidate their student athlete standing, and if there were, no way would Jones eat 2 slots.

That Jones is willing to eat 2 slots tells me that the narrative where he simply was trying to ship them to create room for better players is accurate. What else has been said negative about Jones that I've been speaking of?
I read this as you making this much more complex than it really is.

Their transgression was that they aren't good enough.

In prior times the kid was told the situation and because they had 1 year scholarships they moved along. These kids decided not to play the game and are staying. That's it.

The other thing for Winston is his dad is apparently a PITA. You are a youth coach, you know how this goes. The kid isn't good enough to make it worthwhile to put up with the parent's crap. At our coaching level we suck it up and endure. At the D1 level you show the kid the door.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

The first I read of it was on this site. Then on cbg. Nothing else.
The Chauca article was a separate deal that has little to do with this. The Chronicle article was stupid and meaningless.
What you read on this site might be even less reliable than the Chronicle, except if it comes from the Insiders themselves, Moraga, Eric, and Greg. When it comes to inside poop, them I believe.
oskidunker
You have give Chauca credit. he got his article published in the Chronicle!
Go Bears!
concordtom
tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

I read this as you making this much more complex than it really is.

Their transgression was that they aren't good enough. Per the 4-yr rule, that is not an actionable transgression!

In prior times the kid was told the situation and because they had 1 year scholarships they moved along. These kids decided not to play the game and are staying. That's it.

The other thing for Winston is his dad is apparently a PITA. You are a youth coach, you know how this goes. The kid isn't good enough to make it worthwhile to put up with the parent's crap. At our coaching level we suck it up and endure. At the D1 level you show the kid the door. Again, not actionable. You'd better do a better job of recruiting, get to know your recruits and their families. Hey, I didn't make the 4-yr rule.
My response in bold above.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.