We lost the grad transfer

16,053 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by petalumabear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope I don"y have to leave at Half time like last year.
Go Bears!
tequila4kapp
calbear80 said:

BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

A This team looks destined to go 5-13 or 6-12 in conference. At that point, whether WJ survives to Year Three will depend on...
a) how does recruiting seem to be going
b) how is the esprit de corps of the players on the current roster

If both of the above seem to be strong, we go to Year Three, demanding a better W/L record.
That seems reasonable and the proper approach. But, as much as I'd like to be wrong, I think that is a strategy for HOPE. Not a strategy for SUCCESS. He should get his year to pull off a miracle and show that he can coach. But so far, the indications are that he is a real nice guy who is not even average at any aspect of collegiate coaching.

Yes, the deck was stacked against him. Yes, he may have been the best that Williams could have gotten. But demanding a better record in year three seems to delay the obvious. He either knows how to build a program (which he has never demonstrated) or he doesn't - which all evidence suggests is the case.

+1

Except, I am not sure about the "real nice guy" part.

Would a "real nice guy" keep $5,000,000 of someone else's money given to him undeservedly by his buddy or would a "real nice guy" give at least some of it back?

Would a "real nice guy" promise a four year college scholarship to a couple of minority high school kids and bring them all the way across the country only to try to take away those scholarships from them less than a year later?

Would a "real nice guy" kick one of the few seniors (another minority) off the team under questionable circumstances without much explanation?

Go Bears!
Take a break from reading ConcordTom's brief history of events and learn the facts - he did not take away any scholarships. They are guaranteed for 4 years. He did make it clear they weren't on the team any longer. It's their choice to play hoops somewhere else or be only a student at Cal (with a free education).

WJ doesnt owe anyone an explanation. I assume you are talking about Chauca? The reasons have been explained on the board numerous times. They are legit.

Your race argument is silly. You do realize WJ is an AA male, right?
petalumabear
tequila4kapp said:

calbear80 said:

BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

A This team looks destined to go 5-13 or 6-12 in conference. At that point, whether WJ survives to Year Three will depend on...
a) how does recruiting seem to be going
b) how is the esprit de corps of the players on the current roster

If both of the above seem to be strong, we go to Year Three, demanding a better W/L record.
That seems reasonable and the proper approach. But, as much as I'd like to be wrong, I think that is a strategy for HOPE. Not a strategy for SUCCESS. He should get his year to pull off a miracle and show that he can coach. But so far, the indications are that he is a real nice guy who is not even average at any aspect of collegiate coaching.

Yes, the deck was stacked against him. Yes, he may have been the best that Williams could have gotten. But demanding a better record in year three seems to delay the obvious. He either knows how to build a program (which he has never demonstrated) or he doesn't - which all evidence suggests is the case.

+1

Except, I am not sure about the "real nice guy" part.

Would a "real nice guy" keep $5,000,000 of someone else's money given to him undeservedly by his buddy or would a "real nice guy" give at least some of it back?

Would a "real nice guy" promise a four year college scholarship to a couple of minority high school kids and bring them all the way across the country only to try to take away those scholarships from them less than a year later?

Would a "real nice guy" kick one of the few seniors (another minority) off the team under questionable circumstances without much explanation?

Go Bears!
Take a break from reading ConcordTom's brief history of events and learn the facts - he did not take away any scholarships. They are guaranteed for 4 years. He did make it clear they weren't on the team any longer. It's their choice to play hoops somewhere else or be only a student at Cal (with a free education).

WJ doesnt owe anyone an explanation. I assume you are talking about Chauca? The reasons have been explained on the board numerous times. They are legit.

Your race argument is silly. You do realize WJ is an AA male, right?
Nice summation Tequila. All that said when it comes to 80 its like talking to a fence post. He spent the past few years doing essentially the same thing about Dykes on the Insider Board. When Dykes got to the bowl game and reached his # of Wins did he make the donation to the AD like he said he would? Eventually, as I had to remind him of his promise. I should have required that he share a donation receipt since talk is pretty cheap. I get it that he doesn't like WJ but the problem is not that WJ took a job that someone else offered its that he was offered the job by that other person. Yet, WJ gets talked about as if he's a criminal, nameless person who is murdering babies at night.

its really too bad because while many probably agree that WJ wasn't the right man for the job, its not bad on him for accepting what was offered.... But hey, the fence-post will disagree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.