Marcus Lee signs with he Miami heat

3,878 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sluggo
oasisbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great news, so happy for him.

https://www.nba.com/heat/news/heat-signs-marcus-lee
concordtom
Terms were not disclosed.

With Lee's signing, the Heat have 17 players on their roster. NBA teams are allowed to have 20 players on the roster during the offseason, but that number is pared to 15 for the regular season.

He will find himself in a crowded power rotation that also includes Hassan Whiteside, Kelly Olynyk, Bam Adebayo and James Johnson. Also under contract to the Heat are Newman, Goran Dragic, Dion Waiters, Tyler Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Rodney McGruder, Briante Weber, Derrick Jones Jr. Justise Winslow, Josh Richardson, as well as Robinson and Maten on their two-way contracts.
concordtom
20 cut to 15?
I don't get that. What happens to the contracts of the 5 cut??
sluggo
concordtom said:

20 cut to 15?
I don't get that. What happens to the contracts of the 5 cut??
Not guaranteed. I doubt Lee got guaranteed money. Probably will get cut then offered a g league spot. Nevertheless, getting invited to training camp is good, and i think eventually he will be an NBA player.

Sluggo
HoopDreams

gobears
My guess is Marcus signed 2 way contract with Heat.... similar to how Ty signed 2 way with Clips .and Jabari with Celts last season..

Yogi58
gobears said:

My guess is Marcus signed 2 way contract with Heat.... similar to how Ty signed 2 way with Clips .and Jabari with Celts last season..

It would have been announced as a 2-way if it was. For example, the Warriors have already used one of their two 2-way slots.

It's just a camp contract for now, which is all his play last year would have merited.
bearister
When he gets competent coaching his height combined with his agility, quickness and brains will make for at least a bench player in the NBA. Like Rabb and Jaylen, his skills received zero development at Cal. The Cal coaching staff handled all three players as little more than toys they wound up and then placed on the court.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
graguna
bearister said:

When he gets competent coaching his height combined with his agility, quickness and brains will make for at least a bench player in the NBA. Like Rabb and Jaylen, his skills received zero development at Cal. The Cal coaching staff handled all three players as little more than toys they wound up and then placed on the court.
do you also think Kentucky's coaching staff sucks? After all, he spent 3 of his 4 years there.
Big C
graguna said:

bearister said:

do you also think Kentucky's coaching staff sucks? After all, he spent 3 of his 4 years there.
Before somebody here answers that question with a "Yes!", go try and win multiple national championships with freshmen-dominated teams... 5-star guys who each come in thinking they're The Man and have mostly never played any defense before. Say what you will about Calipari, he's good at what he does (which is more than just bringing in top talent).
concordtom
Big C said:

Say what you will about Calipari, he's good at what he does (which is more than just bringing in top talent).
Okay, but could I try starting with the FIVE 5-star freshmen, to see how I do with that???
HearstMining
graguna said:

bearister said:

What the Kentucky coaching staff excels at is recruiting great players and using them to win games while showcasing their skills. What it does not excel at is developing players. SI had an interesting article on Kyle Wiltjer who, after two years at UK, realized he had plateaued and that the staff wasn't interested in making him better. It was focused on recruiting great players and winning with them, then recruiting more. He had to transfer to Gonzaga to find an environment that would help him develop. So, yeah, he (and Marcus Lee) didn't get good coaching at UK. Neither did Willie Cauley-Stein or Skal Labissiere, who I, living near Sacramento, have to watch play for the Kings.
BeachedBear
As we all learned 4 or 5 years ago, the key to player development is practicing day in and day out with the best talent out there. Coaching is irrelevant, right?
gobears
Training camp invite or 2 way contract??

https://www.nba.com/heat/roster

a. good sign is Marcus is listed on the Heat web site, 2018/2019 roster

https://www.nba.com/heat/player-bios/marcus-lee

sluggo
gobears said:

Training camp invite or 2 way contract??

https://www.nba.com/heat/roster

a. good sign is Marcus is listed on the Heat web site, 2018/2019 roster

https://www.nba.com/heat/player-bios/marcus-lee

Training camp invite. The only sign otherwise would be if he was announced as on a 2-way contract.

Sluggo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.