Something from Connie Rice et al

wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The woman seems to be running college sports. The former U.S. secretary of state served as the head of the "Commission on College Basketball," in response to some rather apparent major problems in the sport, and in April the commission put out a list of recommendations designed to clean up what it felt were the biggest problems facing the sport. In August, many of the recommendations were adopted by the wonderful overlords at the NCAA (the summary from an article I read):

  • Recruits can now take up to 15 official visits, 10 more than they could previously.
  • Players who declare for the NBA draft and aren't picked can return to college, but only if they were invited to the combine before the draft.
  • High school and college players can sign with agents, but those agents can only pay for certain expenses near the player's house/school, and the agents must be let go if the player enrolls in college or decides to come back to school. Oh, and the only players who are eligible to sign with agents are the high schoolers who have been deemed "elite" by USA Basketball and the college players who have been approved by something called the "NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee." Meanwhile, the only agents who can make deals in these instances are those who go through an NCAA program and receive certification.
  • Scholarship players who were enrolled at a college for two or more years before leaving to pursue a professional career can return to the same school within 10 years to finish their degree while having their tuition, books, and fees covered.
  • Parties in dorms with hookers, like the ones that led to Louisville having to vacate its 2013 national championship, are now permitted as a method of recruiting if Connie is invited (not really).
  • School presidents and athletic department members are contractually required to cooperate fully in NCAA investigations, which is another way of saying that the NCAA essentially gave itself subpoena power.
  • The NCAA can now use information obtained from probes done by outside agencies as part of its own investigations. In other words, the NCAA can outsource all of its investigating to actual law enforcement officials. At the risk of understatement, this raises a lot of questions.
The NCAA giving itself quasi-judicial powers seems unenforceable (lawyer commentary needed as I don't know), and the rules seem complicated, and don't really address issues facing the sport, such as why coaches are being indicted. I can see some good in some of the changes like the 10 year rule and having tuition, fees and books covered (why that wasn't already part fo the deal is surprising). But I guess the NCAA can point to changes and say it acted to all the cr@p that is going on such as the most far-reaching scandal that college basketball has ever seen. Everyone is concerned that football is on its way out, but men's basketball is having attendance issues in many areas (starting with the Pac 12), and I don't see the changes as materially changing or saving college basketball's tarnished image. In my mind, the first thing that needs to be done is change the freaking one and done rule.
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WIF, are you joking? Or, maybe somewhat joking?
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About which part?
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear80 said:

WIF, are you joking? Or, maybe somewhat joking?
the hooker party was a joke. Perhaps my delivery sucked.
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Everyone is concerned that football is on its way out, but men's basketball is having attendance issues in many areas (starting with the Pac 12), and I don't see the changes as materially changing or saving college basketball's tarnished image.
IMO basketball attendance issues (when comparing attendance to 30 years ago) are largely because every frickin' game is on TV, and no one has figured out how to persuade enough people to find their way to the arena after work on a Wednesday or Thursday for an 8:05 tipoff and then get home after 11, as opposed to going home after work, watching the game on their 65" HDTV, and already being home when the game ends so that they can get more sleep before going to work the next morning.

Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

calbear80 said:

WIF, are you joking? Or, maybe somewhat joking?
the hooker party was a joke. Perhaps my delivery sucked.
Your delivery was outstanding on that one, with a subtle "(not really)" at the end! Just slipped it in there really well.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought it was Condi Rice, not Connie.
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At one time, a highly respected and powerfull Sacramento Republican political operative (who was very close to Gov. Pete Wilson) was talking up Condi Rice as a good Republican candidate for California Governor.

Oh, my, how the political landscape in the Golden State has changed:

Can you believe that 4 out of the last 6 persons who have held the Governor's job in California were Republicans? Yes, 4 Repulicans: Terminator, Wilson, Deukmajian (sp?) and Reagan, and, only 2 Democrats: Brown and Davis.

Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

I thought it was Condi Rice, not Connie.
your right, automatic spellchecker is wrong.
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DearBearSD: You are right about the insidious effect of TV on attendance. Football, baseball and basketball attendance are all down.
BeachedBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

DearBearSD: You are right about the insidious effect of TV on attendance. Football, baseball and basketball attendance are all down.
It doesn't help that ticket prices are pretty steep at the same time. It's like they DON'T WANT you to go to the games.
bluehenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

  • Parties in dorms with hookers, like the ones that led to Louisville having to vacate its 2013 national championship, are now permitted as a method of recruiting if Connie is invited (not really).

I know this was an attempt at humor, but I found it to be in poor taste as it is sexist and (most likely unintentionally) racist.
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

wifeisafurd said:

Everyone is concerned that football is on its way out, but men's basketball is having attendance issues in many areas (starting with the Pac 12), and I don't see the changes as materially changing or saving college basketball's tarnished image.
IMO basketball attendance issues (when comparing attendance to 30 years ago) are largely because every frickin' game is on TV, and no one has figured out how to persuade enough people to find their way to the arena after work on a Wednesday or Thursday for an 8:05 tipoff and then get home after 11, as opposed to going home after work, watching the game on their 65" HDTV, and already being home when the game ends so that they can get more sleep before going to work the next morning.




Lots of BAD home games too. Huge disincentive to get season tickets. And once people drop season tickets I feel like they get their basketball fix by going to 2-3 games not 15-18.

Kinda think Fri/Sun paired games would be advantageous.

If you need to cater to TV, have ONE game on Weds and one Thurs. Like with football multiple games at a time from the same conference are providing deminishing returns.

Fri/sun would be by all means better for the student athlete.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bluehenbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

  • Parties in dorms with hookers, like the ones that led to Louisville having to vacate its 2013 national championship, are now permitted as a method of recruiting if Connie is invited (not really).

I know this was an attempt at humor, but I found it to be in poor taste as it is sexist and (most likely unintentionally) racist.

Is the snowflake generation really about to kill off comedy? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/comedy-snowflakes-millennials-over-sensitive-jokes-political-correctness-pc-a8129756.html
Page 1 of 1
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.