Addidas Scandal

4,354 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LACalFan
MilleniaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No mention of the trial here? Lots of names n schools being revealed. Will .e interesting to hear the tapes.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24886066/basketball-corruption-trial-drags-names-markelle-fultz-kyle-kuzma

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24886066/basketball-corruption-trial-drags-names-markelle-fultz-kyle-kuzma
BeachedBear
Lots of coverage on the Haas Board. Interesting legal tactics, but to me the stench of many Pac12 programs is pretty stinky.

I keep looking at this and the 'pay the players issue' and come to the conclusion that MBB and Football are minor leagues. NCAA is not organized to run either a minor league or entertainment business, yet that is what they are attempting to do. Very 'amateurish' on their part.

Good article from the Wash Post about this; describing the money coming from Nike, Adidas & Under Armour to support 'grass roots' programs and funnel future stars. Seems to me that the shoe companies have already set up the minor league. They should work with NBA to keep the stars there, pay them what they deserve and eliminate colleges from participating. If the NBA wants to persist with a one year trial period, let it be there instead of college. If players want the value of a degree, then let them stay for three years. I guess that's sort of what baseball does, right?

I know, the money and passion are probably too strong to let it happen. . .
philbert
Well, once the one and done rule is eliminated in 2020 or 2021...
BearSD
Brian Bowen's father testified in court on Thursday about many offers received from various teams for his son. He named Kicker Joe as Sean Miller's bagman:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24895503/brian-bowen-sr-accuses-colleges-offering-cash-improper-benefits-son-attend

Quote:

According to Bowen Sr., Dawkins told him that Arizona assistant coach Joe Pasternack offered $50,000; Oklahoma State assistant coach Lamont Evans offered $150,000 cash, $8,000 for a car and additional money to buy a house; Texas assistant coach Mike Morrell offered to "help me with housing"; and Creighton assistant coach Preston Murphy offered $100,000 and a "good job, a lucrative job."

Pasternack is now the head coach at UC Santa Barbara; Evans is one of three former assistant coaches who are charged in a separate federal case and is accused of accepting bribes from Dawkins and others to influence players to sign with certain agents and financial advisers; Morrell is now the head coach at UNC-Asheville; Murphy, a Saginaw native, is still employed at Creighton.
Bobodeluxe
Hire the kicker, they said.

philbert
Bobodeluxe said:

I thought it was the video kid?
oskidunker
justin Labaugh next coach
Go Bears!
LACalFan
How much did that cost Phil?

Regarding Oregon, which defense attorneys said in opening statements had offered an "astronomical amount of money" for Bowen II, Bowen Sr. said, "I don't recall that."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24895503/brian-bowen-sr-accuses-colleges-offering-cash-improper-benefits-son-attend
BearSD
LACalFan said:

How much did that cost Phil?

Regarding Oregon, which defense attorneys said in opening statements had offered an "astronomical amount of money" for Bowen II, Bowen Sr. said, "I don't recall that."

The defense attorney may have gotten players and teams mixed up. I think Bowen Sr.'s testimony that Arizona was the team using Nike money to bid on Bowen II is consistent with earlier reports about the federal indictments. There was another recruit named who was *allegedly* offered money to play at Oregon.

From an ESPN article:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24823682/why-ncaa-hoops-scandal-likely-spread-trial-starts
Quote:

In fact, Bowen was probably headed to Arizona until Wildcats guard Rawle Alkins decided to return for the 2017-18 season.

Quote:

Arizona officials have denied multiple open-records requests from ESPN for any subpoenas the university received from the federal government for information and grand jury testimony related to the investigation. They repeatedly cited "the balancing test established by the Arizona courts to protect the best interests of the state."

oskidunker
Nothing will happen. They will keep cheating.
Go Bears!
GMP
Bobodeluxe said:

This is why Roxy should have never stuck his neck out for his brother in law. He kicked Jorge. That should have been the end of the discussion. It's also a lesson to all of us to never vouch for someone's character/ability in one setting when we know them in another setting.
Beardog26
Completely concur. At the time, Roxy said something to the effect that Pasternack was afraid of his own shadow and wouldn't do something like that. I think that's BS.

I watched that tape many times and could never get past the fact that, despite me trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, there is absolutely no way Pasternack was defending himself when he kicked Jorge as the latter flew into the UofA bench chasing the ball. The kick was not a natural reaction to the flow of the play and events going on around him, or trying to protect himself. He had a look on his face of contempt and went out of his way to kick Jorge.

Though I'm a big fan of Roxy, I have no time for Pasternack. He may well be a good coach but, IMO, he's a dick.
Big C
GMP said:

Bobodeluxe said:

This is why Roxy should have never stuck his neck out for his brother in law. He kicked Jorge. That should have been the end of the discussion. It's also a lesson to all of us to never vouch for someone's character/ability in one setting when we know them in another setting.
That's a good point to always keep in mind: You know somebody pretty well in one realm and you THINK you know them. You might... but you might not.
helltopay1
Two points: if, according to Roxy, Pasternak is "afraid of his own shadow", how can he possibly be a 7-11 clerk let alone a Div 1 HC, and, I won't comment further, because based on my limited experiences with Pasternak, I didn't like him.
StillABear1
Clearly Joe Pasternack is not well liked by us Cal fans principally due to the Jorge incident. I also feel that he is not very well liked by his coaching fraternity. How could he not have been the Big West COY last season?

What I do know about him is that he is obsessed with coaching basketball to an extreme and driven to be great. If he is on your side, then you love him, if he is on the other side, you hate him. Not a lot in the middle. He's a player's coach. Many of his ex players, now in the NBA swear by him and have shown up all summer long at UCSB for workouts and to also take advantage of the highly regarded pro training facility in Santa Barbara, independent of the university.

I believe the NCAA is done with their investigation. It's a federal matter now and there doesn't appear to be any new information from when this was first reported. I wonder if UCSB would have hired Pasternack without doing an incredible amount of due diligence on the situation.

Assuming Pasternack is a victim of hearsay and this thing blows over, which I suspect it will for him, he is going to be building a pretty strong program at UCSB. HIs roster is now filled with depth, length and athleticism not present in most mid-majors. Allegedly both Cal and UCLA declined the Gauchos' request to schedule them.

Jackieridgle
helltopay1 said:

Two points: if, according to Roxy, Pasternak is "afraid of his own shadow", how can he possibly be a 7-11 clerk let alone a Div 1 HC, and, I won't comment further, because based on my limited experiences with Pasternak, I didn't like him.

Well, if he's afraid of his own shadow, we know he's not afraid of sticking his his foot in an opposing player on national tv. He's hardly a shrinking violet; I understand Roxy wants to defend him.
helltopay1
Still a Bear: Thanks for the additional info.
BeachedBear
StillABear1 said:

... How could he not have been the Big West COY last season? ...

"When the initial accusation documents came out, I believe Pasternack was recorded on a call with the fired AZ assistant and others speaking about paying players. UCSB was aware of this and hired him anyway. I just don't see how you look past something like that."

I posted this yesterday on the Haas board and earlier, when this came out months ago. Surprised this story hasn't got much traction. But, I guess Pasternack is simply not as interesting as Altman, Miller, Pitino, Enfield, etc. Anyway, to answer StillaBear's question. I'm pretty sure all the other coaches are aware of Pasternack's reality.
philbert
StillABear1 said:

I believe the NCAA is done with their investigation. It's a federal matter now and there doesn't appear to be any new information from when this was first reported. I wonder if UCSB would have hired Pasternack without doing an incredible amount of due diligence on the situation.

Are you sure the NCAA is done?

BeachedBear
Wanted to give this a bump, since this board seems to have died a couple weeks before season starts. The ongoing trial and the quotes coming from it are fascinating AF.

I use fascinating, since so many other adjectives, such as sad, shocking, demoralizing, ridiculous, shadenfreudlich are all so inadequate. Lots of program like Arizona, Oregon, Kansas, Louisville, OK St, pointed out. Maybe not shocking, since this stuff was going on since at least the early 90's - just not as pricey or as callously.

What's even more hilarious than the tweets of the coverage are the defensive tweets from boosters, such as:

'Sure Ayton was paid off, but Miller didn't actually pay him, so he should be OK'

LarsBear74
I'd like to bump this again now that the first set of convictions is in. Frankly, I've been waiting for YEARS for this pay-for-play stuff to get exposed. I spent the past 5 yrs in Tucson and the last year wondering why Sean Miller still has a job. With the advent of the G league and these trials, are we getting closer to a level playing field for mens basketball? Are we getting away from running a de facto minor league on top of college basketball? I hope so.
LACalFan
125K to play in the G-League is a good start. Shoe companies sidestepping the bagmen and just offering 1M internships to top prospects might help too.
ColoradoBear
Kansas has done some very suspect stuff for years:

https://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/26/1488270/kansas-university-basketball-ticket-scalping-scandal

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of adidas aau hs players ended up at Kansas (and UCLA).
LACalFan
This is getting good

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/25105562/call-records-link-arizona-sean-miller-creighton-greg-mcdermott-brian-bowen-ii-recruitment
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.