Official Andre Kelly Fan Club Thread

12,458 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My designated favorite player so I figured I would start a repository for All Things Andre. I have a question: his weight is traditionally listed at 235 lbs. but on the Cal roster he is listed at 260 lbs. Did he really make a 25 pound jump? Also, is he 6'7 or 6'8?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearmanpg
I'll join the club bearister....I've been following Andre since his freshman year at Lincoln High...as I have stated before, I'm 6'6" and when I have stood next to Andre, I can attest to him being at least 6'7"....I've not stood next to him for over a year, so it's possible he has grown but I'm not going to speculate....Andre was a guy that I recommended to our old friend Shocky, when he was still "connected"....Unfortunately, another player that I had recommended to him was Jordan Ford...Jordan really wanted to go to Cal but Cuonzo didn't think he had a strong enough build to be able to play defense in the Pac-12....So much for Cuonzo's ability to access talent....
petalumabear
bearmanpg said:

I'll join the club bearister....I've been following Andre since his freshman year at Lincoln High...as I have stated before, I'm 6'6" and when I have stood next to Andre, I can attest to him being at least 6'7"....I've not stood next to him for over a year, so it's possible he has grown but I'm not going to speculate....Andre was a guy that I recommended to our old friend Shocky, when he was still "connected"....Unfortunately, another player that I had recommended to him was Jordan Ford...Jordan really wanted to go to Cal but Cuonzo didn't think he had a strong enough build to be able to play defense in the Pac-12....So much for Cuonzo's ability to access talent....
bearmanpg I will join you in the club. I like what he's done thus far.... i also agree that Jordan Ford was a big miss by CM... he spent too much time recruiting guys that couldn't get in to the detriment of the team IMO.
SFCityBear
You guys can count me in on this one, and thanks to bearmanpg for the advance information he was feeding us.

Andre is a stud. He has good instincts for rebounds and has a BB IQ. He can post up, and also shoot a jump shot. He plays unselfishly, and can pass. He defends pretty well. His handle is good enough to lead your fast break. He has both size and speed. It think maybe he needs to work on his free throws some, and until he gets more experience, he may get in foul trouble against experienced bigs. That is not a weakness, because he will likely see two experienced bigs when he plays against good teams and he will have to defend the rim mostly by himself, until we find or produce another big who is good enough to play inside opposite Andre.

Andre, so far, looks like yet another recruit who wasn't ranked high enough by the experts. Which was lucky for us, and we have to thank Wyking Jones and his staff for bringing him to Berkeley.
SFCityBear
Big C
Count me in the club. Regarding his weight, I had thought that (260) must have been a mistake, too, but Moraga confirmed that he weighed that much in October and then, I believe it was Jones himself, when talking about the freshmen, in something posted here, said he arrived over the summer at 269, but then was down to 260 in October.

It's hard to tell, the way he wears his uniform, but NO WAY he looks that heavy, to me, and I was right next to him on the floor at halftime of the Hampton game. If somebody had said guess that player's height/weight, I might have guessed 6-7, 235. Plus, he doesn't move in a "plodding" way, like you might expect a 260 lb freshman to do. He carries it well. If he's disciplined in his training and works really hard, the dude is going to be a force.
bearister
If I am the decision maker in a big time D 1 hoop program, somebody is losing a job for passing on Andre. Glad we got him.
bearister
bearmanpg said:

I'll join the club bearister....I've been following Andre since his freshman year at Lincoln High......

I had never heard of him or watched him play until the Hampton game. Therefore, I hereby nominate you as the President of the fan club.
BeachedBear
I'm in on Andre. The very early returns indicate a fan-love ranking of freshmen as follows:

Kelly
Bradley (very close second)
Gordon (tied for close third)
Vanover (tied with Gordon)

*I like this class!

Will rank again before conference play.
Beardog26
I agree with all of you that Kelly was a good get for us and will be a really effective player on the interior for the next four years. He seems capable of playing both inside and out, rebounds pretty well, moves and get out on the break, fluid and athletic enough to get some buckets in the paint other than merely rebound put-backs, can probably defend multiple positions (though not all five).

I stood next to him on the Hass floor after a game last year and thought he had a solid base to maintain his position in the paint without getting pushed around too much. If he really is 6'7" or 6'8", I would not be at all surprised if he weighs 260 with that solid frame.

Go Bears!!
bearister
He showed us the future a couple of times tonight getting a board and a put back. Nice touch.
MoragaBear
Staff
He's just a shade under 6'8 and he has a big wing span.
helltopay1
now---let';s not regress by losing tomorrow. Playing a good game but losing anyway is acceptable.
HoopDreams
I'm a fan

Big C
BeachedBear said:

I'm in on Andre. The very early returns indicate a fan-love ranking of freshmen as follows:

Kelly

*I like this class!

The love for Vanover is rapidly increasing.
bearister
Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

Kelly

*I like this class!

The love for Vanover is rapidly increasing.

That is on you to start that Official Fan Club thread!
south bender
From viewing yesterday's game, I thought that the team's inability to get the ball to Andre inside was a real problem, that hurts the potential of this team.

Andre himself could be better at clearing space and wanting the ball, but mainly it is the other players' and the coaching staff's shortcomings, at this point, that are the issue.
joe amos yaks
MoragaBear said:

He's just a shade under 6'8 and he has a big wing span.
HT: 6'-7.5" (?) and growing. . . could grow to 6'-9". . .

SPAN: 7'-6" (90") ?

WT: a solid and svelte 260#?

Big hands. . . ambidextrous?

Quick with good court vision?

. . . and more. . .

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
KoreAmBear
Definitely on board.

He's not as tall, but I think Mr. Kelly can pattern his game after former CU player Josh Scott, who was really good for them by the time he was an upper classman. He could grow a couple of inches too.

OdontoBear66
Really like Kelly.

Last night might not have been a great game for Bradley, but I would like to see more from him. I sense he is not with the speed of the game yet. Hopefully it will come.
oskidunker
He hit a couple of threes, which helps.
Go Bears!
Big C
Let's not get too carried away, talking about Kelly getting taller. Not too many guys grow after age 18 and most of the guys coming in now are 18 1/2 or 19.

Would be open to it, though, based on some data:

1. Exactly how old is Kelly?

2. "bearmanpg", you've followed Kelly for awhile... How tall was he two years ago? One year ago?
bearmanpg
Big C said:

Let's not get too carried away, talking about Kelly getting taller. Not too many guys grow after age 18 and most of the guys coming in now are 18 1/2 or 19.

Would be open to it, though, based on some data:

1. Exactly how old is Kelly?

2. "bearmanpg", you've followed Kelly for awhile... How tall was a two years ago? One year ago?

I really doubt that he is going to grow any taller.....he was around 6'5" as a freshman and right at 6'7" as a senior....I guess stranger things have happened but my money would be on him not growing any more....
Big C
Leonard Taylor! That's who he reminds me of!
Civil Bear
Reminds me of a less athletic Sean Lamply at this stage. Here's hoping they have similar trajectories!
bearister
Bump
OdontoBear66
Well, he is playing out of position, but getting his jock handed to him by a bigger USF center, Jimbo...Not a fair evaluation though.
bearister
OdontoBear66 said:

Well, he is playing out of position, but getting his jock handed to him by a bigger USF center, Jimbo...Not a fair evaluation though.

He has our best line in first half and a better line than all but one USF player.
bearister
This may be the only active thread this season.
bearister
bearister said:

My designated favorite player so I figured I would start a repository for All Things Andre. I have a question: his weight is traditionally listed at 235 lbs. but on the Cal roster he is listed at 260 lbs. Did he really make a 25 pound jump? Also, is he 6'7 or 6'8?

I have free time to scout if you need me, Coach.
bearister
17 points; 1 for 1 from arc; 9 boards
bearmanpg
The 9 boards is an encouraging sign....I had been a bit disappointed in his rebounding but I get a sense that he is feeling more like he can really compete for boards now.....9 boards would be a good average so I'm not completely happy with results yet....Andre is an undersized, freshman 5......We (I) have to keep that in mind....
CVBear01
Just saw my first game this year. Please add me to the fan club.
bearister
CVBear01 said:

And don't forget that the first 500 members of the fan club are eligible to purchase the secret decoder ring for $9.95 postage prepaid.

CALiforniALUM
bearister said:

CVBear01 said:

And don't forget that the first 500 members of the fan club are eligible to purchase the secret decoder ring for $9.95 postage prepaid.

I'm in just for the ring. My precious....
oskidunker
Really good player. Should be playing Power Forward. Maybe next year
Go Bears!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.