Cal-ASU game thread

8,167 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cal83dls79
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why take grant out forever? Vanover is just automatic points given up
EricBear
Staff
Monty is slipping. Just noticed Matt Bradley at the PG, and called him 6'6". Yikes.
HoopDreams
dal9 said:

need to get the ball to kelly more...problem all year

Bears need to learn the bounce pass
calbearinamaze
Yet another streaky PG.....Hot or not, we still have to have effort.
oskidunker
Watching Sinbad
Go Bears!
calfanz
Sueing hacked no call

Leads to a run out by them
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
Nice to see James Zhao on the bench (not suited up).
SmellinRoses
Last fouls on Bradley (flop) and Vanover (barely made contact) were a joke. Refs can make these college games unwatchable. This game seems to be playing to form.

EricBear
Staff
Agree with Monty that was an easy call against Justice on that foul. Problem was he was standing up and in no position to defend when he half-heartedly closed out, leading to penetration and the foul.
EricBear
Staff
a7051
Well, this second half made it easier to sneak out of my living room and go out for dinner. I'm just glad i didn't start heckling my ASU buddy via texts in the first half.
IssyBear
I think a little work is need on our press.
ncbears
Roman?
SmellinRoses
Yes. When you're out of position (Sueing) like that - you'll get a foul called on you every time.
Yogi58
ducky23 said:

Gosh if Harris Dyson could just develop some semblance of a jumper, cause he takes the ball so well to the rim
It's never going to happen
EricBear
Staff
ncbears said:

Roman?

My goodness on those two shots...

Then misses both FTs. 0-4 on the year from the stripe.
SmellinRoses
Disagree with Monty. Grant didn't keep hands straight up - he brought them down. An excuse for this poor officiating crew to call yet another foul. We're just seeing poor fundamental defense in man-to-man situations...
EricBear
Staff
Monty doesn't do enough games to not know we are going to Washington next week. Not that it matters, just odd.
ncbears
14 up to 14 down. Sigh
Econ141
Coaching crew looks like a bunch of bozos at this point. Still don't know why I rush home to watch this hot garbage. See you all Saturday!!!! LOL
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Bisonbob
The end of the first half and on to the second was like they forgot how they got up by 13. It looks like a long year!
HoopDreams
EricBear said:

ncbears said:

Roman?

Dyson was two for two on his next time to the line
bearister
Vanover is not ready yet. Unless we are writing off the season, we cannot afford the luxury of a lot of minutes for him because they just do layups on him. How many points were scored on him under the basket? Roman Davis gets to the hoop. I assume he didn't finish because of game rust. What is the reason he doesn't play at all?
Golden One
fat_slice said:

Coaching crew looks like a bunch of bozos at this point. Still don't know why I rush home to watch this hot garbage. See you all Saturday!!!! LOL
I've been silent thus far during all of the back and forth on this site regarding Wyking Jones, but after tonight's debacle, I'm convinced he has to go, and the sooner the better. Jones was so out-coached by Hurley tonight that it's outright embarrassing. Our Bears got off to a fast start tonight, going up by 14 points. Then Hurley made adjustments, and Jones was totally incapable of effectively counteracting those adjustments. Our 14 point advantage dropped to 2 at halftime, and to a 14 point deficit later in the game. Plus, with about 5 minutes remaining in the game and victory still a possibility, he puts in Roman Davis and Harris-Dyson for the rest of the game, neither of who can score, and sits Justice Sueing, who can score. Then, he insists on playing a full court press, which our guys are totally incapable of effectively executing, resulting in an easy 10 points off the press by ASU. It's time to hire a real D1 coach.
Golden One
bearister said:

Vanover is not ready yet. Unless we are writing off the season, we cannot afford the luxury of a lot of minutes for him because they just do layups on him. How many points were scored on him under the basket? Roman Davis gets to the hoop. I assume he didn't finish because of game rust. What is the reason he doesn't play at all?
Because he is incapable of scoring. Davis is a real offensive liability.
EricBear
Staff
HoopDreams said:

EricBear said:

ncbears said:

Roman?

We were talking about Roman Davis. And yes, he hit 1-2 FTs after these comments. Now 1-5 on the year.

JHD did in fact hit 2 FTs. That's good.
touchdownbears43
Did we fire Wyking yet?
bearister
Golden One said:

bearister said:

Because he is incapable of scoring. Davis is a real offensive liability.

Thanks. I don't remember seeing him play enough to make much of an assessment. Didn't he have one decent game last year?
EricBear
Staff
Roman went nuts against WSU last year.

Yogi58
bearister said:

Vanover is not ready yet. Unless we are writing off the season, we cannot afford the luxury of a lot of minutes for him because they just do layups on him.
Why wouldn't we be writing off the season? The only person who stands to lose from it is Wyking and he's dead man walking.
bearister
Thanks for that, Eric. I knew there was a reason I thought he had talent. I wonder what happened? We could really use that version of Roman now. Maybe like Theo, he just doesn't dig the coach and that guarantees a dead end.
HoopDreams
I always root for Davis, but he just doesn't have good basketball instincts and skills.
He is athletic, but he just never seems to be in the right position, and his fundamentals are poor.

He had an easy 6 footer which he shot badly to the right. That's because his shooting form is bad (same issue with his FTs).

He has improved and now can get to the rack, but he still dribbles too high and he isn't a strong finisher. There was one play where he blew by his man and missed a bunny at the hoop. He was frustrated with himself and ran down court on defense. But you can tell he still had his miss in his head because he was guarding now one, and his man was wide open on the wing. Fortunately Remy never looked his way so there was no harm.

HoopDreams
EricBear said:

HoopDreams said:

EricBear said:

ncbears said:

Roman?

We were talking about Roman Davis. And yes, he hit 1-2 FTs after these comments. Now 1-5 on the year.

JHD did in fact hit 2 FTs. That's good.
oic. sorry
EricBear
Staff
HoopDreams said:

EricBear said:

Is this game uglier than the Cheez-It Bowl?

No

You sure?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.