Bears vs. Older women who frequent clubs to score with a much younger men

11,742 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Civil Bear
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoever decided to give an unproven coach 5 year gaurantee at 1m per year needs to get in front of a firing range. Management of cal athletics is a clown show - might as well shut the program down with this level of incompetency. No confidence that they will hire the right person after WJ.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
bonsallbear
EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

Lou resurrected a program that had been in the wilderness for 30 years. Yes, he started with some Kuchen-era talent, which helped. Bozeman brought in talent he wasn't prepared to deal with. But the dude could coach.
So it's been 50 years since we've had a good coach. It's it that hard to hire a good coach?

Sorry, I don't understand your math.

Well let's see. Lou coached around 1970. It's now 2019. That's about 50 years.
UrsaMajor
Fbonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

Lou resurrected a program that had been in the wilderness for 30 years. Yes, he started with some Kuchen-era talent, which helped. Bozeman brought in talent he wasn't prepared to deal with. But the dude could coach.
So it's been 50 years since we've had a good coach. It's it that hard to hire a good coach?

First of all, Campanelli was coach from 1986 to 1993 (where on earth did the 1970 come from?????). Secondly, Mike Montgomery coached until 2014 (or were you hibernating those years). He was certainly a "good coach."
Yogi58
bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear gets hungry....

EricBear
Staff
bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

You're off by 20 years. And obviously Monty could coach.
bonsallbear
EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

FLou resurrected a program that had been in the wilderness for 30 years. Yes, he started with some Kuchen-era talent, which helped. Bozeman brought in talent he wasn't prepared to deal with. But the dude could coach.

Well obviously you missed my earlier comment "other than Montgomery" as far as Lou....... Well I missed on that one. And I'm always hungry. So let me edit 50 to 30 years. It's that okay?
oskidunker
It is ok. 1970 was Jim padgett. Master recruiter, bad coach, Grandfather of Pete Padgett who shunned us because we fired his grand father. Used to wera a black wind breajer and clapped alot. I think he won the cable car classic when all bay area teams were in it. Played in San Francisco

First Round:
Consolation: Championship: All-Tournament:
Santa Clara 91, Loyola (Ill.) 88
Western Kentucky, 90, USF, 70
Loyola (Ill.) 89, USF 84
Santa Clara 75, Western Kentucky 68 Butch Kaufman, Western Ky. (MVP); Jim Tillman, Loyola (Ill.); Dennis Black, San Francisco; Dennis Awtrey, Santa Clara; Bud Ogden Santa Clara
Santa Clara 75, Houston 50 USF 79, Brigham Young 75 Houston 98, Brigham Young 75 Santa Clara 78, USF 56
Bud Ogden, Santa Clara (MVP); Ralph Ogden, Santa Clara; Dennis Awtrey, Santa Clara; Ollie Taylor, Houston; Pete Cross, San Francisco
Santa Clara 70, USF 49
California 57, Army 51
Army 73, USF 46
Santa Clara 58, California 52
Dennis Awtrey, Santa Clara (MVP); Ralph Ogden, Santa Clara; Jackie Ridgle, California; AnsleyTruitt,California; Jim Oxley, Army
Weber State 79, USF 65
California 77, Santa Clara 63
Santa Clara 65, USF 59
California 75, Weber State 65
Jackie Ridgle, California (MVP); Phil Chenier, California; Charlie Johnson, California; Willie Sojourner, Weber State; Mike Stewart, Santa Clara
Go Bears!
Civil Bear
bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

FLou resurrected a program that had been in the wilderness for 30 years. Yes, he started with some Kuchen-era talent, which helped. Bozeman brought in talent he wasn't prepared to deal with. But the dude could coach.

Well obviously you missed my earlier comment "other than Montgomery" as far as Lou....... Well I missed on that one. And I'm always hungry. So let me edit 50 to 30 years. It's that okay?

Math aside, bonsallbears said:

"Other than Montgomery, who was our last good coach?"

and:

"So it's been 50 years since we've had a good coach. It's it that hard to hire a good coach?"

Assuming in hindsight you meant:

"So it's been 50 years since we've had a good coach other than Montgomery"

...then I would say Braun was much better than Lou, so with that criteria, it's actually been about 22 years since Cal hired a good coach.
bonsallbear
Civil Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

and:

"So it's been 50 years since we've had a good coach. It's it that hard to hire a good coach?"

...then I would say Braun was much better than Lou, so with that criteria, it's actually been about 22 years since Cal hired a good coach.
Thank you
Big C
Civil Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

and:

I would argue that both Campanelli and Braun did decent jobs here. Not as good as we would like, but then Montgomery didn't do as well as we'd like, either.
1. Montgomery: good
2. Braun: pretty good
3. Campanelli: pretty good

Ah, semantics...
SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

bonsallbear said:

EricBear said:

and:

I don't disagree but I'll chime in and say that Braun was the better offensive coach, and Campanelli the better defensive coach. Probably neither one would do really well with the current players, but neither one would be losing night after night, even with this green team.
SFCityBear
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

I don't disagree but I'll chime in and say that Braun was the better offensive coach, and Campanelli the better defensive coach. Probably neither one would do really well with the current players, but neither one would be losing night after night, even with this green team.

Not sure why Lou would be considered the better defensive coach other than he couldn't coach offense, but if there is any question who was the better overall coach we only need to count tourney wins.
Yogi58
Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Not sure why Lou would be considered the better defensive coach other than he couldn't coach offense, but if there is any question who was the better overall coach we only need to count tourney wins.
Not sure why Braun would be considered the better offensive coach, since he couldn't coach offense.

As to who was the better overall coach, Campanelli had 3 losing seasons in 17 years of head coaching. Braun had 13 in 29 seasons.

Civil Bear
Yeah, but did Lou publish books like Ben Braun: Offensive Zone Attack, Ben Braun: Two Guard High Post Offense (a motion offense btw ), and the infamous Complete Guide to Ball Screening?

But in all seriousness, I would agree Ben was not the better coach once he got married. From that point on he had all of one winning season in his last 11.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.