Cal vs. Mutts Game Thread

9,483 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

IssyBear said:

Announcer said the Vanover should be perfect against UW with his jump shot skills.

Like to know Eric's take on this. I have no problem with him sitting. Once game is clearly over put him in for target practice.

Go Bears!
KenBurnski
When we past to the high post why don't we have guys slashing on either side of the key every single time? Maybe also opens up open 3s? Isn't this super basic sh%t??
oskidunker
Ya think?
Go Bears!
cal83dls79
Is ours the only basketball court/floor now without some sort of montage? That said, what montage would you deem appropriate?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
oskidunker
Oski dribbling was nice. So were the hanging jerseys.
Go Bears!
bearister
oskidunker said:

bearister said:

IssyBear said:

Announcer said the Vanover should be perfect against UW with his jump shot skills.

Like to know Eric's take on this. I have no problem with him sitting. Once game is clearly over put him in for target practice.

I accept the argument that we are going to lose all our games so why not get Vanover ready for next year by giving him lots of minutes. That is the only argument I accept.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KenBurnski
Based off the first couple games I expected way more stoppage and nonsense around the flagrant hooking foul that's subject to video review. Pleasant surprise!
EricBear
Staff
If Connor doesn't get the message that he has to defend (via loss of PT) we are not helping him develop.
ColoradoBear
bearister said:

Well, at least the color commentator has abandoned all pretext of not being a cheerleader.
Who are these husky hacks on the microphone?

Does the color guy not understand regular fouls cannot be given via replay? Stfu already about it. Is he famous enough that the play by play guy won't corrent him?
ColoradoBear
cal83dls79 said:

Is ours the only basketball court/floor now without some sort of montage? That said, what montage would you deem appropriate?
People's park?
oskidunker
Photo of Mike Williams guarding Shocky
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
I think the airball chants actually messed with Bradley this game lol
jsherr
I think we should have a picture of a train wreck on the court in honor of the Wyking Jones era
sonofabear51
Think its Eldridge Recasner.
Start Slowly and taper off
EricBear
Staff
sonofabear51 said:

Think its Eldridge Recasner.

It is. Former Husky G.
KenBurnski
Never ending game
IssyBear
KenBurnski said:

Never ending game
Savoring every minute of it.
bearister
We are currently 8% from the arc.
IssyBear
Is that the 3rd cripple Davis has missed?
oskidunker
KenBurnski said:

Never ending game

People have begun to lose their hopes and forget their dreams. So the Nothing grows stronger
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
Sueing's 3 shot looks like he's trying to make a basket on one of those 12 foot carnival hoops with the slightly-too-small rim
bearister
KenBurnski said:

Sueing's 3 shot looks like he's trying to make a basket on one of those 12 foot carnival hoops with the slightly-too-small rim

He is a good player with shooting mechanics that doom him to inconsistency.
southseasbear
ColoradoBear said:

bearister said:

Well, at least the color commentator has abandoned all pretext of not being a cheerleader.
Who are these husky hacks on the microphone?

Does the color guy not understand regular fouls cannot be given via replay? Stfu already about it. Is he famous enough that the play by play guy won't corrent him?
Both announcers were terrible (I think we were assigned the 5th string) and the color commentator was an unabashed homer.

Maybe the network figured Cal fans had given up so assigned announcers that would keep Huskie fans interested in an anticipated blow-out. Surprisingly, the Golden Bears made it competitive in the first half.
cal83dls79
bearister said:

KenBurnski said:

He is a good player with shooting mechanics that doom him to inconsistency.
finally, something for my epitaph. My wife thanks you.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
EricBear
Staff
Big C
Folks, can you help a brother out next time?

I couldn't watch the game because of kid commitments, but I got home at 4:30. Tried to skim this game thread to get a feel for what happened but, with all due respect, it wasn't very informative. (And who knows, these days, if a men's basketball game is even going to make the BI front page?)

I know, I know, everybody wants to be the color guy, but nobody wants to do play-by-play.

Just sayin'...
EricBear
Staff
Fair request. Will tighten that up.
Civil Bear
Big C said:

I couldn't watch the game because of kid commitments, but I got home at 4:30. Tried to skim this game thread to get a feel for what happened but, with all due respect, it wasn't very informative. (And who knows, these days, if a men's basketball game is even going to make the BI front page?)

I know, I know, everybody wants to be the color guy, but nobody wants to do play-by-play.

Just sayin'...

• Huskies start out 1-11 from 3 and Cal is up 10 midway thru the 1st half. Huskies already in the double-bonus.
  • Erik can't find the fire alarm.
  • Huskies make a heady adjustment to stop missing and start making threes.
  • Huskies make 9 of their next 10 threes and with 7 more free-throw attempts than the Bears, the Huskies lead by 1 at the half.
  • Huskies stretch the lead to about 7 early in the second half and the Bears are still scrapping but are on a life-line.
  • Huskies soon get it to double digits and the Bears call it a day.
  • Even more annoying than all of the above is the homer color guy. Be glad you missed it.

p.s Thybulle is the most impactful player in the PAC12. He's a more athletic Jorge with more height and length.
Big C
EricBear said:

Fair request. Will tighten that up.
Eric, I was sort of semi-tongue-in-cheek chiding the whole group, but the more you contribute here, the better, as far as I'm concerned. You strike just the right balance of "optimistic fan" / "realistic analyst". Same with MoragaBear on football.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

Just sayin'...

• Huskies start out 1-11 from 3 and Cal is up 10 midway thru the 1st half. Huskies already in the double-bonus.
  • Erik can't find the fire alarm.
  • Huskies make a heady adjustment to stop missing and start making threes.
  • Huskies make 9 of their next 10 threes and with 7 more free-throw attempts than the Bears, the Huskies lead by 1 at the half.
  • Huskies stretch the lead to about 7 early in the second half and the Bears are still scrapping but are on a life-line.
  • Huskies soon get it to double digits and the Bears call it a day.
  • Even more annoying than all of the above is the homer color guy. Be glad you missed it.

p.s Thybulle is the most impactful player in the PAC12. He's a more athletic Jorge with more height and length.
Thanks. Loved the line about the "heady adjustment". Hope our staff was taking notes, lol.
Golden One
Big C said:

EricBear said:

Don't know what it looks like on tv, but Roman is battling inside. Giving up about 30 pounds, but he is quick and active so far.
I'm guessing his "battling", which he also probably been doing in practice, is what earned him a start. While I've often been critical of his play, good for him, still battling, in his 4th year in the program, under trying circumstances!
Yeah, but the problem is that he is absolutely incapable of scoring. He even misses easy layups.
Big C
Lacking in basketball skills and basketball savvy, without a doubt, but I'm glad to see somebody try and fight through this mess. Packing up shop disgusts me, especially as a season ticket holder.
oskidunker
Bug C. How many more games do you ghink you will attend. I am going Thursday. After that, not sure.
Go Bears!
Big C
oskidunker said:

Big C. How many more games do you think you will attend. I am going Thursday. After that, not sure.
(fify)

I have about 2/3 of a season ticket (about 12 of us split up 8 season tickets). I plan on going to all the remaining games that I have tickets for. I've been through enough crappy Cal football and basketball seasons to where one more isn't going to phase me. It'll seem that much better, down the road, when we're good again.

That said, I'm damn glad I didn't decide to make my first-ever visit to the Pelouse last Thursday. A man can only take so much.
TheFiatLux
Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Big C. How many more games do you think you will attend. I am going Thursday. After that, not sure.
(fify)

I have about 2/3 of a season ticket (about 12 of us split up 8 season tickets). I plan on going to all the remaining games that I have tickets for. I've been through enough crappy Cal football and basketball seasons to where one more isn't going to phase me. It'll seem that much better, down the road, when we're good again.

That said, I'm damn glad I didn't decide to make my first-ever visit to the Pelouse last Thursday. A man can only take so much.
The bolded part, I totally disagree with :-) This sentiment got brought up at the football game in the Coliseum against USC this year.... I was like "no, winning in 2004 and 2006 and 2007 and... winning those games would NOT have taken away from the sweetness of this game!"

I'd rather feel the bitterness of a loss after a great run, than the sweetness of victory after a lousy run (in this case EPIC lousy run)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.