Cal vs. Mutts Game Thread

9,480 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Nice checking in with good friend Roy Fisher tonight.

bearister
You dudes stayed in shape. Good for you!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
Roy Fisher was the first Cal player I saw that had a lot of really good dunks in games. By the end of his four years, he probably owned 7 out of my 10 favorite Cal dunks of all time.
Big C
TheFiatLux said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Big C. How many more games do you think you will attend. I am going Thursday. After that, not sure.
(fify)

I have about 2/3 of a season ticket (about 12 of us split up 8 season tickets). I plan on going to all the remaining games that I have tickets for. I've been through enough crappy Cal football and basketball seasons to where one more isn't going to phase me. It'll seem that much better, down the road, when we're good again.

That said, I'm damn glad I didn't decide to make my first-ever visit to the Pelouse last Thursday. A man can only take so much.
The bolded part, I totally disagree with :-) This sentiment got brought up at the football game in the Coliseum against USC this year.... I was like "no, winning in 2004 and 2006 and 2007 and... winning those games would NOT have taken away from the sweetness of this game!"

I'd rather feel the bitterness of a loss after a great run, than the sweetness of victory after a lousy run (in this case EPIC lousy run)
If what you're saying is, "better to have 10 great years, followed by 1 lousy year, as opposed to 10 lousy years, followed by 1 great year", well, yeah. However, that isn't a choice we get, nor was it my point.

My point is, I'm still going to the effing games and supporting my Golden Bears and I'm desperately trying to think up reasons to justify it. You feel me?
HoopDreams
Big C said:

Lacking in basketball skills and basketball savvy, without a doubt, but I'm glad to see somebody try and fight through this mess. Packing up shop disgusts me, especially as a season ticket holder.
Davis played some good active defense, but it's a little much to ask a 6-7 guy who is athletic but not that bulky to guard one of the best veteran post bigs in the conference (of course we brought doubles that seemed to work). We got in foul trouble fast and had to back off that strategy later.

Davis was also active on the boards. This is the type of role I've thought Davis could have by his junior year, so it's good that he can contribute like that.

However, he often tries to do too much on offense. His running hook shot is the definition of a bad shot for him. If he drove and passed, he might have had something.

anyway, props to him for fighting hard and contributing

https://instagr.am/p/Bs2UNLHhWuY
EricBear
Staff
RedlessWardrobe
Big C said:

Roy Fisher was the first Cal player I saw that had a lot of really good dunks in games. By the end of his four years, he probably owned 7 out of my 10 favorite Cal dunks of all time.
Slam vs. Nova at Harmon Gym. Greatest Cal Dunk of All Time.
sonofabear51
Did Keith Smith win that game at the buzzer? 1988? Memory fading.
Start Slowly and taper off
TheFiatLux
Big C said:

TheFiatLux said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Big C. How many more games do you think you will attend. I am going Thursday. After that, not sure.
(fify)

I have about 2/3 of a season ticket (about 12 of us split up 8 season tickets). I plan on going to all the remaining games that I have tickets for. I've been through enough crappy Cal football and basketball seasons to where one more isn't going to phase me. It'll seem that much better, down the road, when we're good again.

That said, I'm damn glad I didn't decide to make my first-ever visit to the Pelouse last Thursday. A man can only take so much.
The bolded part, I totally disagree with :-) This sentiment got brought up at the football game in the Coliseum against USC this year.... I was like "no, winning in 2004 and 2006 and 2007 and... winning those games would NOT have taken away from the sweetness of this game!"

I'd rather feel the bitterness of a loss after a great run, than the sweetness of victory after a lousy run (in this case EPIC lousy run)
If what you're saying is, "better to have 10 great years, followed by 1 lousy year, as opposed to 10 lousy years, followed by 1 great year", well, yeah. However, that isn't a choice we get, nor was it my point.

My point is, I'm still going to the effing games and supporting my Golden Bears and I'm desperately trying to think up reasons to justify it. You feel me?
TOTALLY fair point. I got you. It's funny, I went to every football game in 2013. Every single one. I stayed to the end of every single one (including a brutally cold night game against Oregon State and of course the Big Game dismantling, playing 3rd stringers because we had so many injuries). It felt sort of zen-like to me because of the situation. This hoops program feels different. I have an indifference to what is going on I've never experienced with Cal athletics before, and I actually feel bad about that. But this is a historically awful run... to be truthful the seeds were planted before Jones arrived... losing 5 of our last 6 conference games in 2016/2017, then losing to Cal State Bakersfield at home in the NIT. Cal State Bakersfield. Of course that was the second time in 3 years a Martin team lost to Cal State Bakersfield at home.

In any event, good for you man. I respect your loyalty. For me, I've crossed the line where I think going actually sends the wrong message. The empty seats send a much stronger message and having got to know many players across sports, they know it's not directed at the them.

It's not a place at which I like having arrived.
TheFiatLux
sonofabear51 said:

Did Keith Smith win that game at the buzzer? 1988? Memory fading.
If I recall correctly, it wasn't quite the buzzer... maybe 3 second lefts?? I recall we still have to defend. He made the shot from the southwest corner, in front of the student section... I can remember vividly the crowd after watching the ball sail through the air and in the background the folks sitting behind the south baseline all raising their arms in joy. Man, that was fun.

[EDIT] that took some digging but found this brief write-up in the LA Times. he made the shot with 9 seconds left
Quote:

California 73, Villanova 71--Keith Smith basket's with 9 seconds left gave the Bears an upset victory over the No. 17 Wildcats at Berkeley.
Villanova (4-3) fell behind, 39-27, at halftime and still trailed, 69-62, with 1:47 left. But Mark West, who scored 30 points, made a bank shot with 22 seconds left to tie the score, 71-71.
Smith, who scored 22 points for Cal (6-2), broke Villanova's press to get free for the game-winning shot.
Big C
TheFiatLux said:

Big C said:

TheFiatLux said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

(fify)

TOTALLY fair point. I got you. It's funny, I went to every football game in 2013. Every single one. I stayed to the end of every single one (including a brutally cold night game against Oregon State and of course the Big Game dismantling, playing 3rd stringers because we had so many injuries). It felt sort of zen-like to me because of the situation. This hoops program feels different. I have an indifference to what is going on I've never experienced with Cal athletics before, and I actually feel bad about that. But this is a historically awful run... to be truthful the seeds were planted before Jones arrived... losing 5 of our last 6 conference games in 2016/2017, then losing to Cal State Bakersfield at home in the NIT. Cal State Bakersfield. Of course that was the second time in 3 years a Martin team lost to Cal State Bakersfield at home.

In any event, good for you man. I respect your loyalty. For me, I've crossed the line where I think going actually sends the wrong message. The empty seats send a much stronger message and having got to know many players across sports, they know it's not directed at the them.

It's not a place at which I like having arrived.
Sometimes, when we get really, REALLY bad, I find myself going with a George-Costanza-do-the-opposite thing. At the infamous NIT game vs. Bakersfield, towards the end of halftime, I brought my son down to where the players come through the hallway (back onto the court) and we cheered WILDLY. I guess it was semi-tongue-in-cheek. Some of the players looked at me kinda funny (like I had gone crazy... some truth there), but I remember Don Coleman gave both my son and I a high five, then went out and scored a bunch of baskets, in something of a late comeback attempt.

Everybody has their own way to deal with the losing.

I believe there is such a thing as pent up joy that gets released when we finally break through, with the classic case being the Tedford/Boller Big Game win in 2002. Same thing for the next time we get The Axe, which hopefully will be in about ten months. And can you IMAGINE what it's going to be like when we get back to the Rose Bowl?!?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.