Most likely home game wins rest of the season

3,108 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 71Bear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
from most likely to worse. Please correct me if wrong

WSU
Colorado
Utah
Stanford
Washington
Ucla
Usc

But We hardly ever beatStanford
Go Bears!
R90
KenPom #s added:

-7.72 Cal

-3.21 WSU
+8.40 Colorado
+2.98 Utah
+4.35 Stanford
+14.05 Washington
+7.95 Ucla
+6.68 Usc

WSU, then Utah, look like our best chances, based on kenpom.com

And yes, the Stanford games often seem rigged.
75bear
I'd be pretty surprised if we don't win 1 or 2 more games this season.
82gradDLSdad
75bear said:

I'd be about as surprised as I was putting in 30 dollar coins, one spin at a time, and not getting any back on a dollar slot machine claiming 90+% payback.
Golden One
75bear said:

I'll be very surprised if we win any more games this season.
oskidunker
Amen.
Go Bears!
Cal8285
75bear said:

I won't be surprised if we go 0-18 in conference. I won't be surprised if we go 1-17 or 2-16 in conference. None of those outcomes would be a surprise. If we get to 3-15, I'll be surprised.
RJABear
I think the Bears will win a game. The Bears' 3-pt shooters will be on fire one night and the opponent will have an off night. I just don't know which game. We will be there. It should be fun for the players.

From a purely statistical standpoint, it is tough to lose them all. Say, for example, that Cal has an 80% chance to lose each game. They still only have a 26% chance to lose six games in a row.
Cal8285
RJABear said:

I think the Bears will win a game. The Bears' 3-pt shooters will be on fire one night and the opponent will have an off night. I just don't know which game. We will be there. It should be fun for the players.

From a purely statistical standpoint, it is tough to lose them all. Say, for example, that Cal has an 80% chance to lose each game. They still only have a 26% chance to lose six games in a row.
This is why 0, 1, or 2 won't surprise me. With the possible exception of WSU at home, every remaining game is one we probably lose, mostly close to 80% chance or worse of losing. If we've got a 20% chance of winning a game, it won't surprise me if we win. If we've got a 20% chance of going 0-18, it won't surprise me if we go 0-18.

But it is more probable than not we get at least one conference win. More probable than not we lose tonight. But I won't be surprised by 0-18, and I won't be surprised with a win tonight.

I will be surprised if we go 3-15 or better. It isn't impossible, but given what this team has shown so far, we'll need a LOT of good fortune to get to 3 wins.
calbear70
Cal has an excellent chance to lose every Pac 12 game this year. The Bears do not seem to ever improve. Players that have been in the system for two years still make the same stupid mistakes. They regress rather than improve. I blame the coaching staff for this.
bluehenbear
Every outcome sucks
OdontoBear66
Looking like zero is being confirmed.
FloriDreaming
RJABear said:

So basically Wyking Jones is absolutely brilliant at sucking at basketball coaching. So much so that a blind monkey holding a clipboard would have won more games, statistically speaking.
stu
Uthaithani said:

So basically Wyking Jones is absolutely brilliant at sucking at basketball coaching. So much so that a blind monkey holding a clipboard would have won more games, statistically speaking.
It's fair enough to criticize the coach. But the monkey reference is out of line even if you're running for office in the Deep South.
calbear80
Uthaithani said:

RJABear said:

Uthaithani,

PLEASE STOP THE NAME CALLING. PLEASE stick to the basketball records and facts. PLEASE.

Your reference above is out of line. Way out of line. PLEASE remove it.

Judging and criticizing a coach who is getting paid $5 million based on his win-loss record, team rankings, offense, defense, recruiting, experience, basketball competence, handling of the players, prestige of the program, etc. maybe appropriate. But, your above statement is inappropriate. Please stitck to the basketball facts.

You may think he is a failure as Cal MBB coach (as most do), but, he is a human being just like you and me and the above statement is very wrong.

As a fellow Cal fan, I ask you to please remove the above offensive reference.

Thank you.
oskidunker
The most likely games we could win we lost. From here on out it is going to be real bad. I heard there were some people wearing paper bags over their heads at The Utah game.
Go Bears!
Cal8285
oskidunker said:

The most likely games we could win we lost. From here on out it is going to be real bad. I heard there were some people wearing paper bags over their heads at The Utah game.
The first sentence is not correct.

Not sure why the most likely game we could win wouldn't be the home game against the next worst team in the Pac-12, which hasn't been played yet. All along, the home game against WSU has been the most likely win, the only game we MIGHT be favored in, depending on what happens between now and then. Stanford and Colorado are probably neck and neck for the next most likely conference win, even if both come/came in as probable losses. And yes, we did lose the Colorado game, but losing the second or third most likely game we could win when we haven't played the first or the other second or third most likely does not equate to "the most likely games we could win we lost." At a minimum, there will be cause for hope for a conference victory at least until sometime in the second half of the last home game.

The second sentence is likely true, but that doesn't make things any different than how they've been so far. Things have been real bad up to here, and from here on out, they aren't likely to get better. They can't get really worse, but not likely to get better.

As to your third sentence, either you're joking or someone was joking with you. I was there, I saw no paper bags. True Cal fans are classier than that, and suspect most if not all others are staying away from Haas.
EricBear
Staff
KenPom now has us losing to WSU at home, 80-79. 48% chance we win. Has been Cal over WSU all season prior to Saturday's results.

Agreed re bags on heads. Didn't see it, no way we ever would. Not in college sports, definitely not from Cal fans.
oskidunker
I wasnt there. Here-say. People in my row wore paper bags Holmoes last year.

With Franks back, WSU will be a challenge.
Go Bears!
RJABear
oskidunker said:

.......... I heard there were some people wearing paper bags over their heads at The Utah game.
We were at Haas for Colorado and for Utah. No-one had a bag over their head.
Cal8285
EricBear said:

KenPom now has us losing to WSU at home, 80-79. 48% chance we win. Has been Cal over WSU all season prior to Saturday's results.

Agreed re bags on heads. Didn't see it, no way we ever would. Not in college sports, definitely not from Cal fans.
I don't know that I would say not in college sports. I had a feeling that some of the USC football fans in 2000, Hackett's final year, might have come to the Cal-SC game in LA with paper bags over their head, except that the paper bags would have muffled the vocal grief they wanted to give Hackett from their seats in the stands.

There were a good number of SC fans in 2000 who apparently showed up just to be nasty to the coach. Many of them seemed to be hoping SC would lose to help insure Hackett's departure, even though it seemed a done deal. It was nice that Cal won the game, but overall I found it to be a very unpleasant experience because of how nasty the SC fans around me were to their own coach. They were perfectly pleasant to us Cal fans, but still, overall unpleasant.

I don't think we'd get this at Cal because, football or basketball, those who might be inclined to be nasty won't bother to show up. Those of us who stay through thick and thin cheer for our guys even when times are very thin.
Big C
If we win the rest of our games, there are gonna be a LOT of surprised people on this board!
71Bear
Some thoughts...

Coach Jones is in over his head. So what? He isn't the first nor will he be the last to find himself in this situation. It reminds me of Buddy Teevans, a football coach at Stanford.

I certainly do not blame Coach Jones for taking the job. He probably he felt he was up to it at the time he was offered the position.

Bottom line - no big deal. Knowlton is no dummy. He will take the appropriate action at the appropriate time. Meanwhile, enjoy the games for what they are - hoops contests between groups of kids who are doing their best to provide entertainment for those in attendance.

There is absolutely no need to continually recite the current record or stats. Everyone is aware of those facts.

This isn't life or death. It is an extracurricular activity that is offered by over 300 colleges at the D1 level....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.