Obligatory late season ESPN "Hot Seat" article (pros/cons)

1,765 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BEAR2dBONE
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay
82gradDLSdad
Sad. The author has an 'unjust firing' reason for every coach except Wyking. The unjust reason for Wyking is that we don't have the money. Nothing unjust about that.
socaliganbear
Embarrassing.
MilleniaBear
I don't know about unjust but the still unfolding pay-for-play scandal will ramp up again after the season. I intermittently feel now is a good time for Cal basketball not to succeed as the details unfold about how the coaches, handlers, and shoe companies have taken cheating to a new level. Bozeman's cheating is so lame compared to the science that Arizona, Louisville, and Kansas have perfected. The HC puts his head in the sand and tells the assistant coach (AC) what players he wants. The AC talks to the shoe company. Shoe company talks to handler. Handler talks to AAU coach. AAU coach talks to parents. Parents talk to recruit. So many layers that protect the HC and recruit. Fascinating that when the $ is paid how the recruit gets only a fraction since everybody takes a cut.

I really hope the G League/non - college option gets traction. I think Cal will be positioned well.
R90
MilleniaBear said:

I don't know about unjust but the still unfolding pay-for-play scandal will ramp up again after the season. I intermittently feel now is a good time for Cal basketball not to succeed as the details unfold about how the coaches, handlers, and shoe companies have taken cheating to a new level. Bozeman's cheating is so lame compared to the science that Arizona, Louisville, and Kansas have perfected. The HC puts his head in the sand and tells the assistant coach (AC) what players he wants. The AC talks to the shoe company. Shoe company talks to handler. Handler talks to AAU coach. AAU coach talks to parents. Parents talk to recruit. So many layers that protect the HC and recruit. Fascinating that when the $ is paid how the recruit gets only a fraction since everybody takes a cut.

I really hope the G League/non - college option gets traction. I think Cal will be positioned well.
Pay all scholarship players a nice little stipend. Average coaches' salaries will drop to compensate out basic economics. $20,000 for each basketball player = $260,000 less for each coaching staff.

Title nine issues, perhaps... can't cut women's coaches' salaries by $300,000. Maybe the men's salaries drop more to accommodate the women... economically.

bearchamp
Stipend isn't relevant for basketball or football. The "stars" think they deserve big money, not a stipend.
BEAR2dBONE
All of the posts above are the most SPOT ON seen on this board in quite a while.
Millenia: your terse analysis of the corrupt money flow is best I've read.

Cal's athletic department (IMO) has collapsed. Even with multi million dollar income streaming in, but relative to 'anywhere' in college athletics, at Cal its paltry and given the fiscal administration of the athletic department here, Cal deserves last place in every major sport. The only saving grace is the somewhat extraordinary willingness of profits like Justin Wilcox (and staff) to put up with the constant up-hill climb; he/they too and not immune to the money factors.

QUESTION: The stadium & SAHPC costs / indebtedness is said to be around $426mill. BUT before the first shovel full was dug, I recall reading that about $180mill had been raised. Granted, seat license commitments were on paper only but more than half was cash? SO the net debt is $326mill.....nicht var ?????
Help me.

GO BEARS
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.