Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Bears Take UCLA to Overtime but Lose 13th straight

February 13, 2019

The record shows that Cal lost its 13th consecutive game Wednesday night, when UCLA prevailed 78-67 in overtime at Haas Pavilion. 

But the Bears certainly gave the Bruins (13-12, 6-6 Pac-12) all they could handle. And had they not missed a number of shots they usually make, the losing streak, an ongoing school record, might be over.

More than once an easy lay-in seemed halfway down, only to come out. Justice Sueing even had a dunk slam off the iron. The Bears, who came into the game hitting 43.7 percent from the floor, hit just 33.8. And they were an anemic 6-for-22 from beyond the arc.

They still had themselves in good position; they led by ten in the first half, nine at halftime and 11 early in the second period. The crowd of 7,182 was energized and hopeful. But in the end the Bruins simply had too much firepower.

“The guys really battled tonight,” head coach Wyking Jones said afterward. “I was really happy with the effort. They left it all out there.”

He mentioned that many of his starters played more than 40 minutes and seemed to be pooped in the in the late going.

. “I have to do a better job of trusting my bench and getting those guys out of the game. I know that it affected them late in the game, They were tired.”

UCLA, which had been dreadful in the first half,  stormed back in the second, and it took a wild finish to bring in the overtime.

In the extra session, the weary Bears managed just three points, again missing shots they normally knock down and UCLA  scored the first five points of OT to go up 69-64. Sueing hit a three to cut the lead to two, but that was it for the Bears scoring. Darius McNeill missed a three, a lob misfired, Connor Vanover missed a pair of free throws, All the while UCLA was adding on.

At the end of regulation, freshman Matt Bradley, who had been 1-for-9 until then, came up huge and enabled the Bears to send the game to overtime. First he hit two free throws to give Cal a 59-55 lead with 2:04 left. That lead vanished as the Bruins hit a pair of treys, the second by Kris Wilkes, who scored 18 points after halftime.  

But Bradley coolly knocked down two free throws and it was tied.

Wilkes hit another trey to put the Bruins ahead again, but Bradley bombed one in from the corner with 27 seconds left to tie it again and Wilkes misfired at the end so we had overtime, “He’s fearless,” Jones said of Bradley. “He wants to take the shot. He wants to help us win.”

UCLA played an awful first half. But the Bruins, most notably  Wilkes, were much better after intermission. Wilkes burned the Bears by hitting five of his eight three-pointers post halftime. .

“We sloughed off of him a little too much and gave him too many open looks,”: Jones said.

As they have in most of their recent defeats the Bears opened the game with a lot of energy and took a 7-0 lead as UCLA was missing its first nine shots. Coach Murry Bartow, who took over when Steve Alford was fired seven weeks ago, was so disgusted with his starting unit that with less than four minutes gone he pulled them all at the same time and brought in five new players.

They did only slightly better and gradually Bartow put the starters back on the floor.

The Bears hd managed to build their lead to ten points when UCLA went on a 9-0 run to cut the margin to 20-19.

But Andre Kelly muscled in a lay-up, was fouled and finished an old-fashioned three-point play to give the Bears a little breathing room. A subsequent 6-0 run, two of the buckets by Vanover pushed the lead to eight.

The closing sequence was the first half in microcosm. McNeill hit a free throw with 32 seconds left to give the Bears 32-25 lead. UCLA then milked the shot clock to 15 seconds and Jaylen Hands simply threw the ball into the stands under the basket.

McNeill missed a jumper but Grant Anticevich tipped in the miss just as the buzzer was sounding, The officials needed to take a good long look at the replay, but finally ruled the bucket was good.

Afterward McNeill said the locker room was understandably somber. “Everybody was down,” he said. “We had it and everything was going well. The guards were mixing it up, we were rebounding. We missed some assignments at the end we paid for it.”

Nevertheless, the sophomore guard said there was some reason to be optimistic. “We are getting better every game,” he said. “We are in every game in the first half and in the second half we come out flat and don’t get it back together. We have just got stay focused the whole game. A team like us, we can’t afford to have mistakes. People will capitalize on it.”

McNeill led the Bears with 18 points, Sueing had 15 and Vanover 12.

The Bears were pretty much able to neutralize 7-1 Moses Brown, who had given them trouble in the first meeting this season. He scored just four points and had but a single field goal as Vanover discouraged him from shooting. He also was just 2-for-9 from the foul line. Jones said that fouling him was part of the game plan.

Discussion from...

Bears Take UCLA to Overtime but Lose 13th straight

6,845 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calbearinamaze
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOL. An absolutely awful mistake in this article.
Big C
Missed the mistake but was intrigued enough to reread: Don't see it... don't see it... ah, there it is! Could be worse. That could happen to anybody working on deadline. At least we know David Bush has been following college basketball for awhile (but we knew that anyway).
R90
We had a good game plan, slowing it down and not giving them too many fast breaks, and played our best defense of the year. Of course there were a few breakdowns, but we had 11 steals and turned them over 19 times.

UCLA players had no enthusiasm in the first half, and shot 2-14 from 3.

We were up 9, with 15 minutes to play, then Singleton, averaging 4 pts. per game, hit 3 threes in a row, and suddenly they started caring about the game. If he just makes one of those, I doubt the UCLA players mind the thought of losing their 4th straight, and we slog through the rest of the game to victory.

UCLA went 8 for 15 from 3 in the 2nd half and overtime. We shot poorly. They won a game that could have gone either way.
calbearinamaze
Yogi Bear said:

Please point out the mistake. I'm interested in such things, but I can't find it right now..

The lack of a back-up PG... (Bradley has the guts to take it on, but...) especially when
Austin is over-matched and/or tired.....is hard to deal with. Winston's stats at CCSF
have nose-dived. He was never going to be an answer to anything. Any other ideas?

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
R90
BEARUPINDC said:

The lack of a back-up PG... (Bradley has the guts to take it on, but...) especially when
Austin is over-matched and/or tired.....is hard to deal with. Winston's stats at CCSF
have nose-dived. He was never going to be an answer to anything. Any other ideas?
McNeill was our main point guard last season, and usually takes over when Austin is out.

He and Sueing have been our best players, and McNeill had one of his best games last night: 18 points, 5 steals, 4 rebounds, 2 assists.

oskidunker
Ucla played awful or we would not have had a lead. I knew that would not continue, especially as we left three shooters wide open in the predictable second half.
Big C
BEARUPINDC said:

Yogi Bear said:

Please point out the mistake. I'm interested in such things, but I can't find it right now..

Mistake has been corrected in current version of article. It had said that Murray Bartow took over for Steve Lavin as Bruins coach. David Bush has forgotten more about sports than some of us will ever know. He gets a pass, working on deadline. Pretty sure he knows Lavin from Alford.
calbearinamaze
Big C said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Yogi Bear said:

Mistake has been corrected in current version of article. It had said that Murray Bartow took over for Steve Lavin as Bruins coach. David Bush has forgotten more about sports than some of us will ever know. He gets a pass, working on deadline. Pretty sure he knows Lavin from Alford.
Thanks Big C. Human beings make mistakes.

What I dislike tremendously is the use of the "computer ****ch". An inanimate object (which
humans have programmed) is often used to divert the attention of the uninformed from the fact
people working the company/government agency/etc. really screwed up.

In this case it would be something like "Due to a computer glitch Lavin was confused with Alford."

or "Due to a computer glitch a wing of budget carrier ComeDieWithUs Airlines Flight 666 fell
completely off"

In rare cases the hardware fails due to age/neglect etc. but , even that can be traced back
to human error
calbearinamaze
Now this is just tooo weird. I must have used a four letter word that the censors didn't
like and replaced it with **** . If so, the offense was in no way my fault. It was computer glitch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.