GREAT game day experience

3,321 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
graguna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Took my son to the game today. What a fantastic experience. Was about to buy tickets when a couple walked up and gave me a pair. ( thank you! ). Chose out own great seats. Cal lead start to finish and played well for most of the game. We stayed after so my son could meet a few players. They were all very cordial. He got pics with
Vanover, Harris-Dyson, Sueing, Kelly and Anticevich.
By the way, incredibly, CAL is 23-0 when my son has attended. His view on CAL athletics is completely warped. I guess the only right thing to do is to buy him season tickets.
oskidunker
The Bearettes were great. The rap music was at a minimum. Half time was intresting and different bingo was fun. I liked it.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
Yeah, Bearettes, both dance team and cheerleaders, band, half time show and the music provided a fun environment. There were no senior players, but they did celebrate the senior dance/cheerleaders, bearettes, and band members. That was cool.

always a little sad when it's the end of the last home game
NVBear78
Please bring your son to next Cal Stanfurd Football game!!!

ps glad to hear of your great experience today. We went and had a blast too.
Big C
How did he like the bingo?
BeachedBear
Bearettes! More of that and the band, less of the DJ and mike men. Not saying there isn't a place for them. Just less.
Mama Bear
Good day indeed! Ditto everything said above, and delighted to see you attended OD!
Especially pleased to see 1999 NIT Reunion team. Had an opportunity to speak with several of my favs. Kudos to current players and coaches, giving their best.
The Cal Band was at its best, a lot of seniors to graduate
A young family of five, former band members, found seats next to us. It was nice to have fans in our row for a change. Three great kids, nextgen Bear fans. They loved Bingo, but not DJ music!
Bearette's were a unanimous hit.
Without making a statement on where I am on next year's BB coaching, not renewing is not an option. We are Cal BB fans.

oskidunker
Were you at the 1999 nit championship?
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
BeachedBear said:

Bearettes! More of that and the band, less of the DJ and mike men. Not saying there isn't a place for them. Just less.
well I think the mike man lead 3 cheers. maybe 4.
that's about once per quarter?
is that too much?
Mama Bear
Yes, a wonderful trip and our first time at the Garden. I'm so old I also attended the 1959 BB Championship at the Cow Palace, albeit in the rafters. And I have a Rose Bowl under my belt. Was I ever innocent, thinking football and basketball championships are in our Bear DNA. Quitting on our teams is not in my DNA so will be back in November.
oskidunker
I thought you went. Wished we could have been there. Great games.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
HoopDreams said:

BeachedBear said:

is that too much?
I guess my point was that Saturday was much better because there was a little mike man, not the non-stop 50 forced cheers a game version. My seat guest actually commented that "Finally, we can have a conversation during a stop in play".

Everything in moderation - good catch.
Golden One
BeachedBear said:

HoopDreams said:

BeachedBear said:

is that too much?
I guess my point was that Saturday was much better because there was a little mike man, not the non-stop 50 forced cheers a game version. My seat guest actually commented that "Finally, we can have a conversation during a stop in play".

I've been a season ticket holder for many years, and I don't recall ever being at a game which had 50 mike-man (or woman) led cheers. In fact, I think the sparcity of student-led cheers has been one of the failings at Cal men's basketball games. The norm has been more like 5-6 cheers per game.
KoreAmBear
graguna said:

Took my son to the game today. What a fantastic experience. Was about to buy tickets when a couple walked up and gave me a pair. ( thank you! ). Chose out own great seats. Cal lead start to finish and played well for most of the game. We stayed after so my son could meet a few players. They were all very cordial. He got pics with
Vanover, Harris-Dyson, Sueing, Kelly and Anticevich.
By the way, incredibly, CAL is 23-0 when my son has attended. His view on CAL athletics is completely warped. I guess the only right thing to do is to buy him season tickets.
Your son must have gone to a lot of games 3 seasons ago when we went undefeated at Haas.
BeachedBear
Golden One said:

BeachedBear said:

HoopDreams said:

BeachedBear said:

is that too much?

I've been a season ticket holder for many years, and I don't recall ever being at a game which had 50 mike-man (or woman) led cheers. In fact, I think the sparcity of student-led cheers has been one of the failings at Cal men's basketball games. The norm has been more like 5-6 cheers per game.
Maybe the titles and roles have changed, but there is a guy with a microphone who does the Growl, commercial announcements, various game stop gimmicks as well as cheers. It has been rare for a while that the cheers have been student led. This phenomenon seems to cover the last few seasons and the same personage. I assumed he was an official announcer, but others on BI informed me that he is, in fact, the Mike Man and a student at Cal. I may be conflating cheers with his other announcements, but it is the same voice and it is much more than 5 or 6 times a game. And I have also been a season ticket holder for many years.
Golden One
BeachedBear said:

Golden One said:

BeachedBear said:

HoopDreams said:

BeachedBear said:

is that too much?

Maybe the titles and roles have changed, but there is a guy with a microphone who does the Growl, commercial announcements, various game stop gimmicks as well as cheers. It has been rare for a while that the cheers have been student led. This phenomenon seems to cover the last few seasons and the same personage. I assumed he was an official announcer, but others on BI informed me that he is, in fact, the Mike Man and a student at Cal. I may be conflating cheers with his other announcements, but it is the same voice and it is much more than 5 or 6 times a game. And I have also been a season ticket holder for many years.
Yeah, I know the guy you're talking about, and I'm not sure if he is a student or not. He is certainly not the "mic man" in the traditional sense. I don't consider the bear growl, the announcement he makes about the dance cam, the BART race, the high-five cam, the bear hug cam, the tic tac toe game, etc. to be "cheers". I would also prefer that all of what he does go away, as his stuff detracts from the game atmosphere. When I refer to 5 or 6 cheers per game, I'm talking about the traditional cheers, which now seem to be down to three: "Cal Bears on three" , "Hey Alumni, Go............Bears", and Gimme a C, gimme an A, gimme a L, what does it spell...". It's a shame that the many long-standing Cal rooting section cheers have apparently gone by the wayside. It's the same at football games.
oskidunker
The Bear growl is old and tired. Change is hard.
Go Bears!
glutton
oskidunker said:

In general, I've gotten tired of the bear growl contest, but the last couple games had pretty good competition, where the kids actually made growl like sounds (instead of just screaming.)

As far as the Mic Man vs the person who emcees the bear growl and other contests/dance cam, the Mic Man is the one who does "Gimme a C" and "Go Bears on 3," and that is a student. The guy that emcees the contests is not a student, though I believe he's a former Mic Man. I think during winter break, there were a couple times that he lead a cheer when there was no mic man at the game.
BeachedBear
glutton said:

oskidunker said:

In general, I've gotten tired of the bear growl contest, but the last couple games had pretty good competition, where the kids actually made growl like sounds (instead of just screaming.)

As far as the Mic Man vs the person who emcees the bear growl and other contests/dance cam, the Mic Man is the one who does "Gimme a C" and "Go Bears on 3," and that is a student. The guy that emcees the contests is not a student, though I believe he's a former Mic Man. I think during winter break, there were a couple times that he lead a cheer when there was no mic man at the game.
Thanks Glutton for clarification. I will rephrase my earlier rant as: less of him and more cheers in the sense that Golden One describes. I think part of the issue the last two seasons is that the student section has generally been pretty sparse and lacks cohesion. This is probably due to scheduling and general malaise towards the program.

I also think the two rows of courtside seats (which are often not full) detracts from the power of the student section.

And yes - the bear growl is fixed.
oskidunker
Students are on break for almost half the pac 12 games. No real solution. The few that are on campus are not coming because the team always loses.
Go Bears!
GMP
oskidunker said:

You know you're old and cranky when...
Big C
BeachedBear said:

glutton said:

oskidunker said:

Thanks Glutton for clarification. I will rephrase my earlier rant as: less of him and more cheers in the sense that Golden One describes. I think part of the issue the last two seasons is that the student section has generally been pretty sparse and lacks cohesion. This is probably due to scheduling and general malaise towards the program.

I also think the two rows of courtside seats (which are often not full) detracts from the power of the student section.

And yes - the bear growl is fixed.
I remember when Haas first opened and it seemed like it was almost going to be everything we liked about Harmon, but with greater capacity, modern amenities and throw-in-a-couple-thousand-chairbacks for rich old farts.

Sadly, marketing-department-types have forgotten everything good about Harmon (if they ever even knew) and sent Haas in the wrong direction: Two rows of courtside seats for elitists. Students way away from the action. "Event Officials" all over the place, serving no useful purpose. Endless inane promotions during timeouts. The best seats reserved for folks who don't use them. Ridiculously long player intros. A bar/lounge (whatever it is) that keeps people from watching the game. And, oh yeah, a freakin' DJ.
HoopDreams
the Bearetts really add to the game day experience ...

https://instagr.am/p/BuwwnMjgp7N
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.