new offensive set

1,233 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?

A while back I described a set where a player receives a ball on the baseline behind the basket.
The player can't score from there but it's a great place to pass from as you can see the court

My point was I thought we should use that set. Works particularly good against a zone.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see that set both in the UW game and the WSU. Worked like a charm both times

By the way, I was surprised how well we played against UW's excellent zone defense. We even did well when they aggressively trapped a perimeter player with 3 defenders near end of game

We maintained our poise under the pressure, got the ball out of trouble and ran our offense

No panic
Econ141
My frustration with college basketball is the inconsistency. I truly hope this weekend was not an aberration but I would not be surprised at all if we wet the bed this Thursday.

Here's to hoping though!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
concordtom
HoopDreams said:

A while back I described a set where a player receives a ball on the baseline behind the basket.
The player can't score from there but it's a great place....
I, too, always like to receive the ball behind the basket where I can't score.

It's my, "Oh yeah? Watch this!" move.

Who needs triple threat position when you've got double threat position? It must lull the other team to sleep, thinking I'll be forced out on the baseline. But then, like Muhammad Ali and the Rope-A-Dope....
The Bounce
HoopDreams said:

The player can't score from there but it's a great place to pass from as you can see the court

My point was I thought we should use that set. Works particularly good against a zone.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see that set both in the UW game and the WSU. Worked like a charm both times

By the way, I was surprised how well we played against UW's excellent zone defense. We even did well when they aggressively trapped a perimeter player with 3 defenders near end of game

We maintained our poise under the pressure, got the ball out of trouble and ran our offense

No panic

Yep..Stanford ran the same set with Sharma undeneath and behind Udub zone and from there he hit Dasilva diving to the basket and scored easily.
bearister
fat_slice said:

My frustration with college basketball is the inconsistency. I truly hope this weekend was not an aberration but I would not be surprised at all if we wet the bed this Thursday.

Here's to hoping though!

Furd is a better team than us at this point in time. I just want a hard fought game where we have a chance to win and don't beat ourselves. A win will be very tough at Maples. They are going to let Sharma get away with murder and we are going to have good players sitting on the bench for extended periods.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calgo430
we are in deep do do. not expecting a w.
HoopDreams
Sorry. I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying it's a bad idea to get the ball to the baseline because he can't be in triple threat position?

If so, sorry I don't agree.

It may be counter intuitive but my opinion is it can be very successful, especially against a zone defense based on actually using it. I learned it from a very good coach

concordtom said:

HoopDreams said:

The player can't score from there but it's a great place....
I, too, always like to receive the ball behind the basket where I can't score.

It's my, "Oh yeah? Watch this!" move.

Who needs triple threat position when you've got double threat position? It must lull the other team to sleep, thinking I'll be forced out on the baseline. But then, like Muhammad Ali and the Rope-A-Dope....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.