Darius McNeil is Tranferring

14,602 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I mean come on ...
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
parentswerebears
Cal basketball- Whatever.
Econ141
Cal basketball - where even the players don't want to go to the games.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
KoreAmBear
Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

First time we hired Wyking it was to save money and retain our players and recruits. They left anyway. Second time we keep Wyking (after the two worst seasons in Cal basketball history), it's to save money and maybe continue our late season "run" of 3 wins in a row. People are leaving anyway.

Why Knowlton, why?
calbear80
KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

First time we hired Wyking it was to save money and retain our players and recruits. They left anyway. Second time we keep Wyking (after the two worst seasons in Cal basketball history), it's to save money and maybe continue our late season "run" of 3 wins in a row. People are leaving anyway.

Why Knowlton, why?

+1
socaltownie
KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

First time we hired Wyking it was to save money and retain our players and recruits. They left anyway. Second time we keep Wyking, it's to save money and maybe continue our late season "run." People are leaving anyway.

Why Knowlton, why?
Why?

Because (and I believe this to my core), there is a group of well heeled alumni that WANT us to fail. They dominate the discourse and fail to support an athletic department that actually, to quote Hamilton, "Gets the job done." They relish being able to point to poor performance as some noble bag that their school is so above this all. And they dissuade an AD of actually cultivating donors who feel differently - that understand that WINNING is why you play these games.

Yes yes. Budget woes. Ahhhh too bad.

It is classic. We retain a guy and the same day their best guard on the team leaves. Can't wait to here who are the 2 others. We will not get ANY transfers to a dead man walking coach - because EVERYONE knows he is. And this is a good year to be in the market. Not a great year but it you really only have UCLA open.

F'ing Cal.
calbearinamaze
fat_slice said:

fat_slice

I'm someone who puts tremendous value on having a sense of humor in
the face of adversity. For me, if the postings on this Board were made
into a film......it would begin with a animation of bears throwing sharp objects
at each other.

Having said that......your post....for deadpan humor is lol funny.
If I could give you 10 stars I would.

Thank you.
stu
BEARUPINDC said:

fat_slice said:

fat_slice

I'm someone who puts tremendous value on having a sense of humor in
the face of adversity. For me, if the postings on this Board were made
into a film......it would begin with a animation of bears throwing sharp objects
at each other.

Having said that......your post....for deadpan humor is lol funny.
If I could give you 10 stars I would.

Thank you.
+1
RJABear
socaltownie said:

Why?

Because (and I believe this to my core), there is a group of well heeled alumni that WANT us to fail. They dominate the discourse and fail to support an athletic department that actually, to quote Hamilton, "Gets the job done." They relish being able to point to poor performance as some noble bag that their school is so above this all. And they dissuade an AD of actually cultivating donors who feel differently - that understand that WINNING is why you play these games.

It is classic. We retain a guy and the same day their best guard on the team leaves. Can't wait to here who are the 2 others. We will not get ANY transfers to a dead man walking coach - because EVERYONE knows he is. And this is a good year to be in the market. Not a great year but it you really only have UCLA open.

F'ing Cal.
More likely - there is a group of well heeled alumni who said I have $XXX,000 to spend on Cal Athletics. After the Stadium project and renewal of Wilcox, the AD came around to the same group and said, we need $Z million to make a change in Basketball.

The alumni said - Sorry, That is all the $$ we had for Cal for now.
socaltownie
RJABear said:

socaltownie said:

Why?

F'ing Cal.
More likely - there is a group of well heeled alumni who said I have $XXX,000 to spend on Cal Athletics. After the Stadium project and renewal of Wilcox, the AD came around to the same group and said, we need $Z million to make a change in Basketball.

Then real program figure out how to cultivate more well heeled alumni AND/OR go to their Chancellor and say, "I know it is 4 million more but I will never be able to right the ship with this guy, we have to dig deep and hit the reset.".

Guess what, these same god damm budget woes exist NEXT year. get ready for year 4 of the Wyking Jones story.
SFCityBear
socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

First time we hired Wyking it was to save money and retain our players and recruits. They left anyway. Second time we keep Wyking, it's to save money and maybe continue our late season "run." People are leaving anyway.

Why Knowlton, why?
........It is classic. We retain a guy and the same day their best guard on the team leaves.

I would not make too much about a player leaving the team. 10 years ago, 40% of D1 players left their teams, some of them left two teams. I don't know what the figure is now, but I doubt it has greatly decreased. Players transfer now. That is what they do.

I would not tie this to Jones being the coach, or being the returning coach. Players leave teams for lots of reasons, and unless we have evidence of Jones being the reason, it would just be speculation on our part.

I would disagree that McNeill was the best guard on the team. Best in what way? He is supposed to be the shooting guard. Bradley shot threes at 47.2%, #18 in the NCAA. McNeill, at 34.9% was not even ranked in the top 100 nationally. Bradley was a much better three-point shooter than McNeill. Bradley was a much better free throw shooter than McNeill, 79.3% to 69,6%. McNeill's overall FG% at 39.1% was the worst in the rotation except for JHD (who can't hit a barn if he is inside the building) at 38.7%. McNeill averaged 11 points per game, which is below par for a shooting guard. In the biggest game of this miserable season, Colorado in the tournament, he played 38 minutes and scored 7 points. That is not accepatbale for a shooting guard. Most of his numbers deteriorated from last season. Rebounds, assists were down. He committed less turnovers, but he wasn't handling the ball as much. He did improve his drives to the basket and finishing them. His defense looked a little better. I think McNeill suffers from being called a combo guard, which usually means a kid who can play both guard positions, but usually doesn't play either one real well. He does not seem to be able to make a play unless he has the ball in his hands, and his usual decision is to shoot or drive and shoot, and seldom to pass. He had two seasons to make this team. He did not perform adequately at point and was replaced by Austin. If Cal had a deeper team up front this season, Sueing would have not have had to play PF, and Bradley would have replaced McNeill at the shooting guard.

I wish McNeill well wherever he lands, no matter why he left. His leaving could hurt the team, because he would have been a junior next season, a returning starter, and Cal has so few experienced players and will have to depend on freshmen and maybe transfers again. In that sense, I am sorry to see him go. He gave Cal some good games, especially in the first half of his fresman year.
SFCityBear
Big C
socaltownie said:

RJABear said:

socaltownie said:

Why?

F'ing Cal.

Then real program figure out how to cultivate more well heeled alumni AND/OR go to their Chancellor and say, "I know it is 4 million more but I will never be able to right the ship with this guy, we have to dig deep and hit the reset.".

Guess what, these same god damm budget woes exist NEXT year. get ready for year 4 of the Wyking Jones story.
You sound cynical today, socaltownie...

The Chancellor isn't coming up with money for this. It's either the donors or nothing.

Next year, there will be one million dollars less of budget woes (one more year into Jones' contract). It also gives Knowlton a year to mend fences and such. Heck, maybe in a year, we have a commitment on a practice facility and are more attractive for prospective candidates.

Heck, maybe in a year we're in the NCAA Tournament! Notice I am more cheerful and optimistic than you? Sorry I can't share my supply of meds, but ask your doctor about...
HKBear97!
SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?
........It is classic. We retain a guy and the same day their best guard on the team leaves.

I would not make too much about a player leaving the team. 10 years ago, 40% of D1 players left their teams, some of them left two teams. I don't know what the figure is now, but I doubt it has greatly decreased. Players transfer now. That is what they do.

I would not tie this to Jones being the coach, or being the returning coach. Players leave teams for lots of reasons, and unless we have evidence of Jones being the reason, it would just be speculation on our part.

I would disagree that McNeill was the best guard on the team. Best in what way? He is supposed to be the shooting guard. Bradley shot threes at 47.2%, #18 in the NCAA. McNeill, at 34.9% was not even ranked in the top 100 nationally. Bradley was a much better three-point shooter than McNeill. Bradley was a much better free throw shooter than McNeill, 79.3% to 69,6%. McNeill's overall FG% at 39.1% was the worst in the rotation except for JHD (who can't hit a barn if he is inside the building) at 38.7%. McNeill averaged 11 points per game, which is below par for a shooting guard. In the biggest game of this miserable season, Colorado in the tournament, he played 38 minutes and scored 7 points. That is not accepatbale for a shooting guard. Most of his numbers deteriorated from last season. Rebounds, assists were down. He committed less turnovers, but he wasn't handling the ball as much. He did improve his drives to the basket and finishing them. His defense looked a little better. I think McNeill suffers from being called a combo guard, which usually means a kid who can play both guard positions, but usually doesn't play either one real well. He does not seem to be able to make a play unless he has the ball in his hands, and his usual decision is to shoot or drive and shoot, and seldom to pass. He had two seasons to make this team. He did not perform adequately at point and was replaced by Austin. If Cal had a deeper team up front this season, Sueing would have not have had to play PF, and Bradley would have replaced McNeill at the shooting guard.

I wish McNeill well wherever he lands, no matter why he left. His leaving could hurt the team, because he would have been a junior next season, a returning starter, and Cal has so few experienced players and will have to depend on freshmen and maybe transfers again. In that sense, I am sorry to see him go. He gave Cal some good games, especially in the first half of his fresman year.
Classic. Can't wait to see what you say if/when the other rumored transfers announce their intentions. Let me guess, not Jones' fault either, right?
joe amos yaks
G McNeill might find a good fit at uMT.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Yogi58
HKBear97! said:

Classic. Can't wait to see what you say if/when the other rumored transfers announce their intentions. Let me guess, not Jones' fault either, right?
SFCityBear
HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

Classic yourself. Never said it wasn't Jones' fault. It could be. It could be anything. The relationship between coach and player is a two way street. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So, you are the Swami, the all-knowing (or know it all). You go right ahead. You tell us why McNeill left, and prove it, this time. What rumored transfers? Name your players - names, please. And sources. Or do you just make this crap up, trying to get some attention?
SFCityBear
Alkiadt
SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

Classic yourself. Never said it wasn't Jones' fault. It could be. It could be anything. The relationship between coach and player is a two way street. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So, you are the Swami, the all-knowing (or know it all). You go right ahead. You tell us why McNeill left, and prove it, this time. What rumored transfers? Name your players - names, please. And sources. Or do you just make this crap up, trying to get some attention?

That last sentence.....
Lol!
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

Not buying it. You didn't know any more or have any more proof when Martin was here and you criticized him constantly. You defend and defend and defend and then you try not to take responsibility for it by saying "I am not saying anything (for 10 pages). I'm just saying I don't know."

There were a handful of posters that became knows as the great Holmoe apologists. You will go down as one of the great Jones apologists no matter how much you try to weasel out of it.
calbear80
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

Not buying it. You didn't know any more or have any more proof when Martin was here and you criticized him constantly. You defend and defend and defend and then you try not to take responsibility for it by saying "I am not saying anything (for 10 pages). I'm just saying I don't know."

There were a handful of posters that became knows as the great Holmoe apologists. You will go down as one of the great Jones apologists no matter how much you try to weasel out of it.

+1
HKBear97!
SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

You seem to enjoy talking out of both sides of your mouth. You just wrote "I would not tie this to Jones being the coach, or being the returning coach." as well as "I would not make too much about a player leaving the team."

As for names and sources, perhaps you could pay some money, take time out of writing 1,000+ word posts and read some other forums, you might learn something.
ducky23
HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

You seem to enjoy talking out of both sides of your mouth. You just wrote "I would not tie this to Jones being the coach, or being the returning coach." as well as "I would not make too much about a player leaving the team."

As for names and sources, perhaps you could pay some money, take time out of writing 1,000+ word posts and read some other forums, you might learn something.

You don't like his 1000+ word posts? I actually read his posts to my kids before bed so they can sleep. Strangely enough, my kids have become staunch defenders of wyking as well and can tell you all about how b-ball used to be played in 1959.
CAL4LIFE
Yogi Bear said:

HKBear97! said:

Chip Diller type posters are the worst.
3146gabby
Well heeled alum want Cal to fail so they can wallow in schadenfraude?

a trumpian-like broadside based on what?

critical thinking - most important when things are going very bad as they are - takes another hit.
71Bear
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

"...the great Holmoe apologists."

And I wear it as a "badge of honor"....
SFCityBear
OaktownBear said:

I could care less whether you buy it. I'm not writing here to please you. I write about Cal basketball what I think, and I write it for general consumption or rejection. With you and me, it is personal. Always has been. I wish it wasn't. There are a number of fine Cal fans here on the BI who probably hate my guts. It's a free country.

As to Martin, I did not criticize HIM constantly. I criticized HIS offensive philosophy over and over. I did have proof of what his offensive philosophy was, because he explained it to the press, and I listened to it, and saw with my eyes that he had implemented it. It was not until after Martin had thrown in the towel vs Bakersfield, and left Cal, that I criticized him on personal level for being an opportunist. Do I have proof of that? No, but I think it was a good guess. I criticized Martin again lately, when the contempt and hatred for Wyking Jones on this board became hard to take. I wrote that no other Cal coach in history had been given less of a roster to start with than Wyking Jones. And yes I have proof of that, from the old Cal website and from the rosters of years past, posted on sports-reference.com. It was a failed attempt to bring some perspective to the discussion of whether a coach should be retained or fired. If we think that the roster a new coach starts with has nothing to do with his success in his first two years, then we know nothing about college basketball.

I can endure your insults, and your accusations (without proof, I'd add). Exposing my thoughts to Cal fans here has given me a thicker skin than when I first posted here. It is a characteristic of many people to try and pigeonhole others into categories, and make it easier to deal with them. Once they decide you are this or that kind of person, then they can ascribe qualities to you that others in that category have exhibited. In politics, for example, if you say someone is a Republican, then he must also be a supporter of the President, when many Republicans don't support the President at all, and some even try to undermine him. The same is true on the Left side of the political spectrum.

I will try and state it again. I wanted to counter calbear80 and all the Jones critics and haters who had made up their minds to crucify Jones in the media without a fair trial. If you only can understand this by accusing me of being a Jones apologist, then have at it. I never ever defended Jones' style of play, his record, his recruiting. In fact, if you and everyone had read my posts, I said at the beginning Jones would not be the best hire. I wanted someone with some HC experience in college. I criticized his decision to use a full court press with his deficient roster. I criticized his decision to name Coleman as the "go-to guy on offense". I criticised his offensive sets. I criticized his decision to switch defenses when his players hadn't mastered one style. I criticized his use of zone at all, because his players needed to learn fundamental individual man defense first, so they should be playing man D. I could be wrong about all these statements, but I stand by them, and they were all critical of Wyking Jones. Where do you see any "apology" for Jones in any of those statements I made on the BI?

What happened was calbear80 began to lead the charge to get Jones fired, with no evidence other than wins and losses. More and more of you joined the chorus and it became a high-tech electronic media lynching of a coach, without any kind of a fair trial. You are a lawyer. You know how the system works. What I did was write a series of posts to counter calbear80's constant calls to lynch without a trial, DEFENDING WYKING JONES RIGHT TO A FAIR HEARING WITH HIS BOSS, Jim Knowlton, the AD, behind closed doors Let Jones plead his case, with all his own facts, for another year. You and the rest of the mob could not allow that. You people can look at me as an apologist. Call me whatever you want. But you need to take a hard look at yourselves and ask why you joined a mob to fire this coach, simply because he was not winning enough games for you. Instant gratification in your choice of entertainment is that important to you?

Finally, I apologize again for the long posts. I don't think in Tweets or one line e-mails very often, as I like to go a little deeper into things. If you don't like reading what I write, you do have a choice to read me or not, unlike you all who didn't (and still don't) want to give AD Knowlton the choice to make his own decision to hire or fire Wyking Jones. The mob is probably already beginning to form in some minds to fire the AD.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
ducky23 said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

You don't like his 1000+ word posts? I actually read his posts to my kids before bed so they can sleep. Strangely enough, my kids have become staunch defenders of wyking as well and can tell you all about how b-ball used to be played in 1959.

When I read short and personally insulting posts they give me insomnia.

BTW, I write about Cal basketball in 1959, because it was the only time in Cal BB history that we actually won something important. I write it because many Cal fans are too young to have experienced it, and may never get to, although I did enjoy us winning that PAC10 title in 2010. However the cynical fans around here dismissed it because it was a down year for the PAC. I'll continue to write about it, because many of the winning principles of 1959 still apply today, and it would be great if we could stop accepting mediocrity and lower expectations. Not my Cal. Unfortunately the downturn for Cal athletics started the year I entered Cal. I swear I had nothing to do with it.
SFCityBear
Bobodeluxe
Nice post, SF.
KenBurnski
Lol. The 1959 stuff is King's X.
helltopay1
I'm with SFCB. You gotta problem with that??
HKBear97!
SFCityBear said:

I wrote that no other Cal coach in history had been given less of a roster to start with than Wyking Jones.
And this is where I disagree. This is a completely subjective take, not "fact". Furthermore, it fails to take into account that Wyking was part of this program for two years before taking over. He was not coming in blind and supposedly was hired for continuity. Moreover, he's made terrible recruiting decisions over this time period - no size, Winston, McCullough, McNeill and now possibly some others who might be transferring. You have tried so hard to take the opposite side of those criticizing Wyking you've lost the forest for the trees. We've set school records in futility these past two years and now we're about to go into year three and at this stage, it looks like we'll again be in the bottom of the Pac-12. He was a bad hire, no getting around it.
4thGenCal
SFCityBear said:

socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

Maybe two more.

It's becoming comedic.

Why Knowlton, why?

Solid and accurate post, which is shared by the staff. McNeil's position will be filled and there will be an overall improvement (better FG % and defender).
4thGenCal
HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

I wrote that no other Cal coach in history had been given less of a roster to start with than Wyking Jones.
And this is where I disagree. This is a completely subjective take, not "fact". Furthermore, it fails to take into account that Wyking was part of this program for two years before taking over. He was not coming in blind and supposedly was hired for continuity. Moreover, he's made terrible recruiting decisions over this time period - no size, Winston, McCullough, McNeill and now possibly some others who might be transferring. You have tried so hard to take the opposite side of those criticizing Wyking you've lost the forest for the trees. We've set school records in futility these past two years and now we're about to go into year three and at this stage, it looks like we'll again be in the bottom of the Pac-12. He was a bad hire, no getting around it.
Staff has overall recruited average to good and this incoming class will be solid. To point out 2 busts (when hired at the end of the final recruiting period and thus short handed) is harsh. Vanover has promise, Gordon sustained a serious injury (which proved to be an one year+ recovery period). Kelly is yet to be rated due to youth, conditioning and playing out of position. With 2 more recruits to be announced, the roster will be significantly better for next season. Regarding the"hire", programs starting from the horrible position when WJ took over the HC (not as an supporting role/non decision maker on recruits) take 3+ seasons. This season will be fair game to judge and assess. Knowledgable local analysts and past coaches (Monty, Jay John, Don Mclean, Ben Braun) all felt 2 years is too short to grade WJ - given what was inherited.
stu
4thGenCal said:

McNeil's position will be filled and there will be an overall improvement (better FG % and defender).
I think McNeill has plenty of potential, but to me he looks more like a SG than a PG. Hope things work out well for him.

Nobody is irreplaceable, but the three I'd really like to keep are Sueing, Bradley, and Vanover.
LOUMFSG2
For a team that struggled with inexperience, I'm not sure that losing a player with 58 starts, over 2,000 minutes played and 700 points scored in his two seasons is insignificant. I've liked McNeill's potential since he's arrived at Cal. He has not developed much consistency in his two years here, I would agree with that, but I do think he will be missed.
HKBear97!
4thGenCal said:

HKBear97! said:

SFCityBear said:

Staff has overall recruited average to good and this incoming class will be solid. To point out 2 busts (when hired at the end of the final recruiting period and thus short handed) is harsh. Vanover has promise, Gordon sustained a serious injury (which proved to be an one year+ recovery period). Kelly is yet to be rated due to youth, conditioning and playing out of position. With 2 more recruits to be announced, the roster will be significantly better for next season. Regarding the"hire", programs starting from the horrible position when WJ took over the HC (not as an supporting role/non decision maker on recruits) take 3+ seasons. This season will be fair game to judge and assess. Knowledgable local analysts and past coaches (Monty, Jay John, Don Mclean, Ben Braun) all felt 2 years is too short to grade WJ - given what was inherited.

I seem to recall posters saying we would be better this year, particularly with the addition of Austin. Yet we finished last with the same win total. We'll struggle to hit 15 wins next year and you think that's progress?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.