What does Fox bring to the table?

17,181 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golden One
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rather than just general moaning that the guy was medicare and in the end declining at Georgia, what is the story what his his reputation at:

1) recruiting, especially given the academic restrictions Cal presents (the thing is you can't win without some level of talent, even though you can mediocre with talent due to a variety of factors.

2) ability to develop players (has he put anyone in the NBA?)

3) outreach with fans, donors, etc.

4) fit issue: ability to deal with insane bureaucracies or other Cal issues

5) x's and 0's?

We fans went from Kidd, to safe picks like DeCuire or Turner (guys that didn't hugely excite, but looked quaffed for the Cal job) to Fox. Timing or other issues may have impacted Kidd, maybe we were tuned down by the two safe picks for either money or other reasons (in DeCure case he might have waned commitments on a practice facility).. I get that, the Cal job is not exactly Duke right now. But what does Fox brig to the table? I just really don't know anything about the guy.
socaltownie
Fair question.

From early reports the highest upside is

high integrity guy,
understands the importance of donors without being an "awe shucks back slapper
Graduates his kids
Doesn't cheat on recruiting.

But I think the biggest problem is that Reno is not the "west coast". His recruits at Georgia were almost all local kids. I believe 3 NBA drafted kids in 9 years (aka not great recruiting).

It was an ultra safe pick. We proably will improve. But I don't see us being able to get into the top third of the league and competing with the top 3-4.

Cal being Cal.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd
socaltownie said:

Fair question.

From early reports the highest upside is

high integrity guy,
understands the importance of donors without being an "awe shucks back slapper
Graduates his kids
Doesn't cheat on recruiting.

But I think the biggest problem is that Reno is not the "west coast". His recruits at Georgia were almost all local kids. I believe 3 NBA drafted kids in 9 years (aka not great recruiting).

It was an ultra safe pick. We proably will improve. But I don't see us being able to get into the top third of the league and competing with the top 3-4.

Cal being Cal.
thanks. Nice to get more info. Seems like an interim step until the program becomes more respectable.
mdbear
I do not see the attraction of Fox over DeCuire. Fox had nine years at Georgia, and his record was poor, only making the NCAA tournament twice and never getting past the first round. The school is only an hour from Atlanta, a hotbed of talent. It seems like DeCuire has turned Cal down and is negotiating and extension with Montana, which is why Cal is turning to Fox. Not impressed.
RJABear
This would be a wait and see hire. It would not be a fireworks hiring announcement.

After the last few years, it would be an improvement to finish 18-16 and balance out the recruiting classes.

Fox has been there at Georgia and knows that he has to win consistently to keep the H/C job beyond 2022.
Another Bear
socaliganbear said:

This is my take..serarch firm found 3 candidates, Cal picks one.

I also thought this might be a transitional hire, 2 years to get the program on solid ground. The contract will demonstrate this or the opposite.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

Rather than just general moaning that the guy was medicare and in the end declining at Georgia, what is the story what his his reputation at:

1) recruiting, especially given the academic restrictions Cal presents (the thing is you can't win without some level of talent, even though you can mediocre with talent due to a variety of factors.

5) x's and 0's?

We fans went from Kidd, to safe picks like DeCuire or Turner (guys that didn't hugely excite, but looked quaffed for the Cal job) to Fox. Timing or other issues may have impacted Kidd, maybe we were tuned down by the two safe picks for either money or other reasons (in DeCure case he might have waned commitments on a practice facility).. I get that, the Cal job is not exactly Duke right now. But what does Fox brig to the table? I just really don't know anything about the guy..
I think it is great to ask more questions. On the flip side, don't over think with the details when the top line is - his record sucks. This hire, if true, is inexcusable.

1. He coached for Nevada and Georgia. Do you think he had anything close to our academic restrictions there? I'd also point out that he lost out on a local, very intelligent HS All American one and done extremely high draft pick in his backyard to a second tier basketball program 3000 miles away.
2. At Nevada he coached Ramon Sessions, Luke Babbit and Javale McGee. At Georgia he coached Kentavious Caldwell-Pope who might have been drafted out of high school if that was allowed.
3. Call me unsympathetic, but since Holmoe I've been pretty sick and tired of donors ability to be buffaloed by a feel good pitch and a guy who is much better at kissing their asses than they are at accomplishing anything.
4. He's a very nice man. Like Holmoe. No indication he has dealt with bureaucracies like Cal.
5. Don't know. See record.

Sports media is laughing at Cal right now. Look around.

Personally, I was excited about Decuire. I struggle believing that he turned us down with his salary and with Monty making the pitch for him (which I don't think would happen if Decuire didn't want the job). If he wanted the job and didn't get it, heads should roll. And I have to agree with ducky that it is an extremely bad look if Cal chose Fox over Decuire. If Decuire turned us down, I'm sorry, there has to be better than this. I'd rather go with the CCSF coach than this.

But, WIAF, I'm glad you are asking questions. We need donors asking questions NOW and QUICKLY. If they do ask questions, based on the answers they will get, they should be pulling their donations within the hour. This is desperation time.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

We fans went from Kidd, to safe picks like DeCuire or Turner (guys that didn't hugely excite, but looked quaffed for the Cal job) to Fox. Timing or other issues may have impacted Kidd, maybe we were tuned down by the two safe picks for either money or other reasons (in DeCure case he might have waned commitments on a practice facility).. I get that, the Cal job is not exactly Duke right now. But what does Fox brig to the table? I just really don't know anything about the guy.
Regarding your first sentence, I think it is highly inappropriate to ding the guy just because he is 65+.

The Bounce
wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

...what he could bring is Theo who coaches with him at Team USA. Fox working for Van Gundy with the top team and Theo 17u. Still a "Head Scratcher".
bluesaxe
mdbear said:

I do not see the attraction of Fox over DeCuire. Fox had nine years at Georgia, and his record was poor, only making the NCAA tournament twice and never getting past the first round. The school is only an hour from Atlanta, a hotbed of talent. It seems like DeCuire has turned Cal down and is negotiating and extension with Montana, which is why Cal is turning to Fox. Not impressed.
I don't either and I doubt seriously that Montana could come up with enough money on an extension that DeCuire would prefer to stay if Cal was offering. I'd definitely prefer a younger guy with some ability to generate a bit of excitement to this.
CalVC2
Pretty sure Mark Fox is 50
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Bleacher Report:: "Cal is hiring Mark Fox? Berkeley gonna Berkeley"

Arizona Daily Star: "If media reports about Cal hiring Mark Fox as its basketball coach, every Pac-12 coach should happily toast the search committee's decision. Fox never better than 21-12 at Georgia, went 77-79 in SEC"
BearSD
Let's look at what people were saying about Mark Fox one year ago this month...

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23firemarkfox&src=typed_query&f=live
Big C
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

We fans went from Kidd, to safe picks like DeCuire or Turner (guys that didn't hugely excite, but looked quaffed for the Cal job) to Fox. Timing or other issues may have impacted Kidd, maybe we were tuned down by the two safe picks for either money or other reasons (in DeCure case he might have waned commitments on a practice facility).. I get that, the Cal job is not exactly Duke right now. But what does Fox brig to the table? I just really don't know anything about the guy..
I think it is great to ask more questions. On the flip side, don't over think with the details when the top line is - his record sucks. This hire, if true, is inexcusable.

1. He coached for Nevada and Georgia. Do you think he had anything close to our academic restrictions there? I'd also point out that he lost out on a local, very intelligent HS All American one and done extremely high draft pick in his backyard to a second tier basketball program 3000 miles away.
2. At Nevada he coached Ramon Sessions, Luke Babbit and Javale McGee. At Georgia he coached Kentavious Caldwell-Pope who might have been drafted out of high school if that was allowed.
3. Call me unsympathetic, but since Holmoe I've been pretty sick and tired of donors ability to be buffaloed by a feel good pitch and a guy who is much better at kissing their asses than they are at accomplishing anything.
4. He's a very nice man. Like Holmoe. No indication he has dealt with bureaucracies like Cal.

Personally, I was excited about Decuire. I struggle believing that he turned us down with his salary and with Monty making the pitch for him (which I don't think would happen if Decuire didn't want the job). If he wanted the job and didn't get it, heads should roll. And I have to agree with ducky that it is an extremely bad look if Cal chose Fox over Decuire. If Decuire turned us down, I'm sorry, there has to be better than this. I'd rather go with the CCSF coach than this.

But, WIAF, I'm glad you are asking questions. We need donors asking questions NOW and QUICKLY. If they do ask questions, based on the answers they will get, they should be pulling their donations within the hour. This is desperation time.
I'll admit to not knowing jack squat about Mark Fox until the last twelve hours (I'm sure I was familiar with the name when he was at Nevada, but... ).

Sounds like he is everything that was good in the "perception of Tom Holmoe" ('cause some of that was a facade), but, instead of being an incompetent coach, he is a mediocre coach. Not too exciting, at all.

The tweet from Wilner about this choice being search-firm driven also raises red flags about the ability of Knowlton to perform one of the most important functions of his job. HIS job.

I'm far from certain this will really come to pass (see Cal Basketball coach "news" from only one week ago), but, if it does, we'll get a quick sense for where we're at when we find out who he hires on his staff, if other players transfer and if we're able to hold the recruiting class.
Big C
socaliganbear said:

Jeff Goodman: An unimpeachable source. Oh wait...
calgo430
mark fox ho hum. we need better athletes. who is this guy going to recruit ????
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Regarding your first sentence, I think it is highly inappropriate to ding the guy just because he is 65+.

I so hate automatic spell checker.
tequila4kapp
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

I'll admit to not knowing jack squat about Mark Fox until the last twelve hours (I'm sure I was familiar with the name when he was at Nevada, but... ).

Sounds like he is everything that was good in the "perception of Tom Holmoe" ('cause some of that was a facade), but, instead of being an incompetent coach, he is a mediocre coach. Not too exciting, at all.

The tweet from Wilner about this choice being search-firm driven also raises red flags about the ability of Knowlton to perform one of the most important functions of his job. HIS job.

I'm far from certain this will really come to pass (see Cal Basketball coach "news" from only one week ago), but, if it does, we'll get a quick sense for where we're at when we find out who he hires on his staff, if other players transfer and if we're able to hold the recruiting class.
Based on the response I got from our AD an hour ago it is a done deal ("...come out and support him...")
Big C
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Arizona Daily Star: "If media reports about Cal hiring Mark Fox as its basketball coach, every Pac-12 coach should happily toast the search committee's decision. Fox never better than 21-12 at Georgia, went 77-79 in SEC"
Well if I were the coach of one of the Bottom Dwelling Wankers, I'd be worried, because, based on his history, there's a good chance Fox is going to have us clawing our way over them, all the way up to 7th or 8th in the conference!

Last place no more!
BearlyCareAnymore
tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Based on the response I got from our AD an hour ago it is a done deal ("...come out and support him...")
Regarding "come out and support him", I'm sorry. No. To be clear, Fox seems to be a good guy. I hope for him he succeeds where he hasn't before. I hope for Cal he does. I have nothing against him personally. My lack of support going forward is not for Fox. It is for Cal. I went through this with the Raiders. If you are going to treat your fans like garbage, I have no loyalty. I will support you when you win. I will not when you lose. Period. I don't have time in my life for this. My support is thus:

I'll check the box score.
I'll probably still come to bearinsider more because I like the discussion than the subject
If I happen to be near a television when a game is going on and I have no chores, or anything better to do, and there is nothing else on, and I don't feel like watching something on Netflix or watching Friends or Seinfeld reruns, I might turn on the game and if Cal isn't getting blasted yet I might watch. Second they are down ten with no reason to believe they are coming back - Seinfeld is going on.

Win. Win big. Then I'll do more. See you in a 100 years.

I see no reason why I should put more effort into my fandom than Cal's administration puts into having a winning program. If the AD wants to completely half ass this deal by putting zero effort in and hiring a candidate put forward by a search firm that is universally mocked, he can put his support request up his...

Knowlton has done very little to deserve support so far other than shake hands and convince monied alums he is "deliberative". The handling of basketball this year has been a fiasco and has demonstrated he is another administrator who pushes paper. He has done nothing innovative. Nothing outside the box. Made zero intelligent changes (or changes period). Cal needs someone with some ideas. He needs to be fired. I know he won't be. Probably for at least 5 or 10 years knowing Cal. I don't care if it is futile. I'm saying it.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Well if I were the coach of one of the Bottom Dwelling Wankers, I'd be worried, because, based on his history, there's a good chance Fox is going to have us clawing our way over them, all the way up to 7th or 8th in the conference!

Last place no more!
As I said elsewhere, see Walt Harris and Ty Willingham. Don't count your 7th or 8th place finishes before they are hatched.
bearister
You had me at Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Last place no more!
As I said elsewhere, see Walt Harris and Ty Willingham. Don't count your 7th or 8th place finishes before they are hatched.
Damn, I was hoping, after he got things rolling, we might be able to go a juicy 8-10 in conference and maybe even get an NIT bid. I haven't been to an NIT game since Bakersfield: I got such a sweet parking spot that night!
71Bear
OaktownBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Regarding "come out and support him", I'm sorry. No. To be clear, Fox seems to be a good guy. I hope for him he succeeds where he hasn't before. I hope for Cal he does. I have nothing against him personally. My lack of support going forward is not for Fox. It is for Cal. I went through this with the Raiders. If you are going to treat your fans like garbage, I have no loyalty. I will support you when you win. I will not when you lose. Period. I don't have time in my life for this. My support is thus:

I'll probably still come to bearinsider more because I like the discussion than the subject
If I happen to be near a television when a game is going on and I have no chores, or anything better to do, and there is nothing else on, and I don't feel like watching something on Netflix or watching Friends or Seinfeld reruns, I might turn on the game and if Cal isn't getting blasted yet I might watch. Second they are down ten with no reason to believe they are coming back - Seinfeld is going on.

I see no reason why I should put more effort into my fandom than Cal's administration puts into having a winning program. If the AD wants to completely half ass this deal by putting zero effort in and hiring a candidate put forward by a search firm that is universally mocked, he can put his support request up his...

Knowlton has done very little to deserve support so far other than shake hands and convince monied alums he is "deliberative". The handling of basketball this year has been a fiasco and has demonstrated he is another administrator who pushes paper. He has done nothing innovative. Nothing outside the box. Made zero intelligent changes (or changes period). Cal needs someone with some ideas. He needs to be fired. I know he won't be. Probably for at least 5 or 10 years knowing Cal. I don't care if it is futile. I'm saying it.
Well said, Oak. I reached this same conclusion during the Barbour years. She was a disaster. Unfortunately, the new guy is headed down the same path. I think it is pretty obvious that he took a job that was far beyond his capabilities. The days of at least having some hope that things will turn around are gone. Oh well.
SFCityBear
OaktownBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Knowlton has done very little to deserve support so far other than shake hands and convince monied alums he is "deliberative". The handling of basketball this year has been a fiasco and has demonstrated he is another administrator who pushes paper. He has done nothing innovative. Nothing outside the box. Made zero intelligent changes (or changes period). Cal needs someone with some ideas. He needs to be fired. I know he won't be. Probably for at least 5 or 10 years knowing Cal. I don't care if it is futile. I'm saying it.You s
You seem to be getting more sour lately. I thought what you wanted was Wyking fired. You got that. Now you want Knowlton fired. Is the Chancellor next? The Governor?

As the Queen of Hearts said in Alice in Wonderland, "Off with their heads." I'm all for it. This may be the first time I've agreed with you on anything. Let's do it!
SFCityBear
PtownBear1
I don't know what the Fox brings to the table that JK found so appealing, but I do know what the Fox says

boredom
SFCityBear said:

OaktownBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

Knowlton has done very little to deserve support so far other than shake hands and convince monied alums he is "deliberative". The handling of basketball this year has been a fiasco and has demonstrated he is another administrator who pushes paper. He has done nothing innovative. Nothing outside the box. Made zero intelligent changes (or changes period). Cal needs someone with some ideas. He needs to be fired. I know he won't be. Probably for at least 5 or 10 years knowing Cal. I don't care if it is futile. I'm saying it.You s
You seem to be getting more sour lately. I thought what you wanted was Wyking fired. You got that. Now you want Knowlton fired. Is the Chancellor next? The Governor?

As the Queen of Hearts said in Alice in Wonderland, "Off with their heads." I'm all for it. This may be the first time I've agreed with you on anything. Let's do it!

You're viewing this too transactionally. What many want is for Cal to compete for at least conference championships. At least to act like that's the goal and expectation. Wyking was not the guy to do that for basketball so he needed to go. Throughout the past few weeks Knowlton has shown himself to be an impediment to that so he needs to go too.
cal83dls79
mdbear said:

wow. If that's true good for him, bad for us ...just got butch slapped there
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Another Bear
PtownBear1 said:

I don't know what the Fox brings to the table that JK found so appealing, but I do know what the Fox says

WHAT?! They're like furry pals?
cal83dls79
Another Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

WHAT?! They're like furry pals?
was a long walk but got there
Bear19
Does anyone know for certain that Knowlton didn't contact DeGuire?
cal83dls79
tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

we just hung up. Nothing has changed
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

OaktownBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

I honestly see no reason to pay Wyking $3million so we could hire Fox. It would have been better to give Wyking another year than do this. Now we are most likely going to have to buy out another contract. Football better do better this Fall...
SFCityBear
boredom said:

SFCityBear said:

OaktownBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

5) x's and 0's?

You're viewing this too transactionally. What many want is for Cal to compete for at least conference championships. At least to act like that's the goal and expectation. Wyking was not the guy to do that for basketball so he needed to go. Throughout the past few weeks Knowlton has shown himself to be an impediment to that so he needs to go too.
Maybe so. In any case, "Off with their heads"

I don't agree that Cal fans (or most basketball fans) care about conference championships. Many scoff at Cal's 2010 PAC10 title, saying the conference was having a down year, and criticized that coach and team for not getting farther in the NCAA. What most fans care about is "making a run in the dance." They care about getting invited to the NCAA, getting a high seed with the bid, and making a run. They could care less about the true conference championship, because in some years that does not even get them a bid. The winner of the PAC12 tournament gets the bid.

Many modern Cal fans belittle the teams of Pete Newell and their 4 straight conference championships, because the players were an inch or two taller today and not as athletic. Fans may remember those Cal teams having great success in the NCCA as well, but they have all but forgotten the 4 straight conference titles.
SFCityBear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.