Interviewing Questions for Prospective Coaches . . .

1,959 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearsandgiants
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I suppose this would have been a more interesting topic before the Fox hiring, but I found myself wondering what questions Jim Knowlton asks his list of candidates. So, I'll propose the question here:
1. What would be the 4-5 questions you'd ask every candidate?
2. What candidate-specific questions would you ask Fox, Decuire, Oats, etc.?
stu
HearstMining said:

I suppose this would have been a more interesting topic before the Fox hiring, but I found myself wondering what questions Jim Knowlton asks his list of candidates. So, I'll propose the question here:
1. Why do you want this job?
helltopay1
Dear Stu: Love your question. I remember when Roger Mudd asked Ted Kennedy that same question on live TV. poor Ted was totally unprepared for that simple question. He totally botched the answer.
bearister
1. What is your preferred brand of bottled water?
2. How many bottles of water will you require per game?
3. What is your position on calling a time out at the front end of a Cal fast break?
4. Are you offended by children being asked to perform for treasure in the form of stuffed bears during halftime?
5. Would you be willing to take coaching instructions via iPad during 3 PAC 12 games per season from the Bear Insider community?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
Q. What is your name?

Q. What is your quest?

Q. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Yogi58
HearstMining said:

1. Explain how you're going to get talented players to come here.
2. How would you coach your team to break down a 2-3 zone?
3. What's your plan for making sure that we maintain a good APR?
4. Give me five names of guys that you might be able to get to come with you as assistants.
5. No really, how are you going to get talented players to come here?

Fox:

Did you laugh as hard as I did at this part of Uncle Lou's video? (3:09 mark)

Decuire:

But seriously, how are you gonna get better talent than we got when you were lead assistant for Monty?

Oats:

If I told you that you had to get a recruit to commit three days after you took the job, do you think you could do it? (Answer - he did).
NVGolfingBear
1. Do you think your coat, tie and shirt match up well? (Question for a college scholarship decades ago... Got it, Full Ride)

2. Why don't we start by you making your resume come alive for me. (First question for my first serious job... Got it)

3. What is your preferred burrito?

4. Have you ever worked in an environment similar to Berkeley's administrative process? What did you do to create some success?
bearister
6. If you were trapped inside a steel room with no doors or windows with only a mirror and a bench, how would you escape?
oski003
Other programs make mistakes too. Their players leave without issue. Perhaps it's cultural. Players get pushed out at Elie programs all thee time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article208406144.html
82gradDLSdad
NVGolfingBear said:

1. Do you think your coat, tie and shirt match up well? (Question for a college scholarship decades ago... Got it, Full Ride)

2. Why don't we start by you making your resume come alive for me. (First question for my first serious job... Got it)

3. What is your preferred burrito?

4. Have you ever worked in an environment similar to Berkeley's administrative process? What did you do to create some success?

5. What were you going to do with a philosophy degree...open a philosophy shop? (Followed by roars of laughter)

This rhetorical beauty was asked during my interview with the phone company.
bearister
Q: What is your biggest fault?

A: I'm too humble.
joe amos yaks
Is it better to win and play poorly against your rival, or to lose and play spectacularly and grow against a top rated team?

Is this the first day of the rest of your coaching life or the last day of your coaching life so far?

What is "Top Dog" and do you prefer 'kraut?

What's your position on the comb-over as a statement of coaching and communication?

Do you prefer pleated trousers, flat front, or slim fit?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
bearsandgiants
Who does #2 work for?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.