Hello, my name is Disingenuous Jim..

8,196 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/01/cal-ad-jim-knowlton-explains-the-search-process-that-ended-with-mark-fox/

stu
Does anyone have verified further information to offer?
tsubamoto2001
Yup. This went exactly how I thought it did.
calumnus
tsubamoto2001 said:

Exactly. He didn't start looking until after he fired Jones. It was all done in an abbreviated fashion based on the candidates presented by the search firm. It does not sound like he got any other input or feedback before making his decision.

The question is, why are there posters that come on here and lie about it, claiming they have inside knowledge?
Yogi58
calumnus said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

Exactly. The question is, why are there posters that come on here and lie about it, claiming they have inside knowledge?
Because people that talk to administrators like to flaunt it without ever considering the possibility that they are being told exactly what they want to hear.
diva1
Jeff Van Gundy and Coach K were references for Fox but I guess the experts who post here know more than actual coaches
I also think his hiring of Trent Johnson speaks well, how often have we complained here that our coaches did not hire quality assts?
71Bear
Yogi Bear said:

calumnus said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

Exactly. The question is, why are there posters that come on here and lie about it, claiming they have inside knowledge?
Because people that talk to administrators like to flaunt it without ever considering the possibility that they are being told exactly what they want to hear.
Yep. It is a standard practice that is used by politicians when they want a message disseminated in a certain manner. They simply give it to a favored reporter who will publish the information without making any additional inquiries.

In sports, this was a big issue with the Niners. Baalke gave "inside scoops" to a reporter who happily published the info without regard for whether it was factual. It led to the schism that developed between Harbaugh and Baalke.
BearlyCareAnymore
diva1 said:

Jeff Van Gundy and Coach K were references for Fox but I guess the experts who post here know more than actual coaches
I also think his hiring of Trent Johnson speaks well, how often have we complained here that our coaches did not hire quality assts?

Yup Bill Walsh knew Tom Holmoe was brilliant but the experts here thought they knew better.

Trent Johnson went 20-100 in conference his last seven years as head coach. I'm truly comforted.

So why did people lie about the process?

By the way, when did Jeff Van Gundy become the epitome of coaching genius? Do you guys even know who he is or is he just a name you have heard of?
MilleniaBear
Yah. JVG would not make my top 100 of guys who I would ask about a coaches qualifecations. No titles and road Patrick Ewings shoulders for his best years.
socaltownie
71Bear said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/01/cal-ad-jim-knowlton-explains-the-search-process-that-ended-with-mark-fox/

Could someone put up the piece. Behind a paywall. Just can afford to subscribe to all of these. Someone needs to create a subscription to multiple papers. That would be worth it.
BearlyCareAnymore
socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

Could someone put up the piece. Behind a paywall. Just can afford to subscribe to all of these. Someone needs to create a subscription to multiple papers. That would be worth it.
It's not behind a paywall. They just want a donation. Just x out of the $43 for the Pac-12 hotline. You can read it.
socaltownie
OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

It's not behind a paywall. They just want a donation. Just x out of the $43 for the Pac-12 hotline. You can read it.
I don't read very well but this is pretty clear.

"You've reached your 30-day article limit.

3 months of digital access for 99

Continue reading your article with a subscription to The Mercury News."
BearlyCareAnymore
socaltownie said:

OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

Sorry. I would just never read enough articles on that site to get to that point. Not what I'm getting
sonofabear51
Wow! Just wow. Disappointed. I would have thought there would have been much more time and consideration taken into this decision.
Start Slowly and taper off
calumnus
diva1 said:

"Wyking is a five-star recruiter, a five-star coach and a five-star person. I'm so happy for him and his family." Louisville head coach Rick Pitino (from the announcement when Wyking was hired).
Yogi58
diva1 said:

How many bad things did you ever hear Monty say about Wyking Jones? How many good things did you hear him say about Wyking Jones?

What do you think is his actual opinion on Wyking Jones' coaching ability?
GoCalBears
I want to know who were the names on the short list of 40 candidates AND who were the four candidates that had face-to-face interviews?

If the names on the short list or 4 candidates JK interviewed are similar names mentioned on the BI thread or better, I would have more confident in the the search process.

"Collegiate Sports Associates helped Tennessee find Rick Barnes and Virginia Tech find Buzz Williams. But the North Carolina-based firm has a mixed record, at best, when it comes to openings in the western third of the country." If CSA has a horrible record in the West Coast, why go with this firm?
KoreAmBear
Perhaps Jim lucks into this one just as Mike Williams lucked into Justin Wilcox being a good coach. Well Justin is a great defensive coach. The jury is out whether he is an overall good coach if he continues to let the offense thing get out of hand like it did last year with Baldwin, and if he can't recruit talent to Cal.

But yah, sounds like the processes for firing Wyking and the search for the new coach were disjointed and haphazard at best. We would have saved money hiring the right guy for the job. Oh well, like I said, our only hope is if we luck out and Fox does a good job. That's the Cal way.
BearlyCareAnymore
Yogi Bear said:

diva1 said:

How many bad things did you ever hear Monty say about Wyking Jones? How many good things did you hear him say about Wyking Jones?

We should keep a running list of top coaches who give glowing references to our crap coaches so we can stop this asinine line of reasoning.
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

diva1 said:

We should keep a running list of top coaches who give glowing references to our crap coaches so we can stop this asinine line of reasoning.
It will never stop. People who just want to believe whatever they are told will always point to a voice of authority to make their blind faith valid.

Generally speaking, coaches support other coaches and give them praise. The worst a fellow coach might do most of the time is say nothing about the other coach.
GoCalBears
socaltownie said:

OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

try clearing the browser cache?

i would copy/paste the article here but fear it might violate TOS.

Basically, it summarized the Fox presser. Take home point, IMO, is the search firm did all the work for JK. He spent just three days in search mode -- fired Wyking on Sunday, hit the road on Monday and by Wednesday picked Fox.

JK interviewed four candidates and hired Fox.
Another Bear
Knowlton is a hockey guy, likely no hoop contacts or instinct on things...needed help. Not an excuse but there you go. Sounds like he just wanted it taken care of, and I'm guessing the UC administration felt some reassurance on this method because they get an outside, neutral party to help...but it rarely does. Oh well.
Yogi58
GoCalBears said:

socaltownie said:

OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

Open the link in an incognito or private window
BearlyCareAnymore
GoCalBears said:

socaltownie said:

OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

i would copy/paste the article here but fear it might violate TOS.

Basically, it summarized the Fox presser. Take home point, IMO, is the search firm did all the work for JK. He spent just three days in search mode -- fired Wyking on Sunday, hit the road on Monday and by Wednesday picked Fox.

JK interviewed four candidates and hired Fox.

Yes, process took 3 days. Search firm cut list from 40 and gave him names. He interviewed 4. Picked one. That is it. Source is Knowlton himself.
71Bear
socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

It's a freebie. If I can't read Wilner for free, I don't bother...
GoCalBears
Another Bear said:

Knowlton is a hockey guy, likely no hoop contacts or instinct on things...needed help. Not an excuse but there you go. Sounds like he just wanted it taken care of, and I'm guessing the UC administration felt some reassurance on this method because they get an outside, neutral party to help...but it rarely does. Oh well.
When JK is fired, hope Cal hires an AD that is a hardcore football or basketball guy/gal who wants to win.

Wasn't Dirk a basketball guy?
Eastern Oregon Bear
calumnus said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

Exactly. He didn't start looking until after he fired Jones. It was all done in an abbreviated fashion based on the candidates presented by the search firm. It does not sound like he got any other input or feedback before making his decision.

The question is, why are there posters that come on here and lie about it, claiming they have inside knowledge?
Maybe I was oblivious. Who were the posters that purportedly lied about having inside knowledge? I don't recall seeing anyone claiming that about the coaching search.
annarborbear
For those who don't like the search process, what additional names do you have that should have been considered? I get the feeling that Fox would have still been on the list even if more time had been taken, and Coach K would still not have been available.
GoCalBears
*** On the candidate model he instructed CSA to pursue:
"When you're at Cal, it has to be someone who's student-athlete focused and someone who can capitalize the student in student-athlete.
"For me, it's someone who one, does it the right way; two, has the student-athlete at the center of gravity for the program; and I wanted someone who had been a head coach. If they had been a head coach in a Power Five program, it was even better."
(Knowlton said Fox received a five-year contract but declined to discuss the compensation. "We're still negotiating.")

Wow, the bar was set VERY low... just needed a babysitter who had HC experience (HC at a P5 was icing on the cake). Guess hiring a HC who could win championships or go deep in the NCAA doesn't matter for JK.
NVGolfingBear
Does anybody here think that JK called up the search firm and said "Okay start looking and I'll interview your top 4. Call me when you have them lined up."

No interaction with the search firm;
No discussion with said firm re: qualifications, Cal admin requirements, experience in major conferences, academic standards, personal standards, west coast connections, basic salary structure, potential assistants, did I say probing about working within the Cal bureaucracy, recruiting skills, and all the other standard interview type questions search firms ask.

And those are the criteria for the Coach. What about the Cal limitations that the search firm had work with: salary range, contract length and term, preference for incentivized contracts (Just spitballing here), and don't forget to mention cost of living and no, Cal does not offer a private loan rate or subsidy and does not yet own a coach's home on the hill.

I believe there were extensive conversations with the firm before they got into the nitty gritty search. JK even hinted at that in the Wilner rag.
stu
Another Bear said:

FWIW I've been involved in a few hiring committees at a community college. There the process is divided into paper screening (committee), interviews (another committee), and final selection (administration). Not being an administrator I can''t comment on what they do, but regarding the remainder I've found the interviews far more informative than the resumes.

So I have no problem with some other entity taking care of the paper screening, even on a tight schedule as they probably had the paperwork long before Knowlton asked. My problem is I wouldn't want to conduct interviews for a position of which I had little knowledge. If asked to interview a candidate for a teaching position I'd feel comfortable if it were in or near my specialty, hesitant if it were in a different specialty in the same department, and incompetent if it were in a different department.

If I were Knowlton I would have found one or two people with basketball coaching experience to participate in the interview process. Lindsay Gottlieb, Mike Montgomery, Ben Braun, Jay John, I'm sure there are others.
annarborbear
Search Firm to Candidate: "Cal has won one conference championship in the past 60:years, just went 5-31 in the league over the past two years, and has no practice facility."

Search Firm: "Hello? Hello?"
Another Bear
I get the paper/admin stuff. There's actually value there and that's why I thought the UC admin would like it...they can read quite well and a report would be easy to digest. I agree about the expertise thing, and that's why I brought up JK is a hockey guy. As a AD I'm sure he gets all the other stuff, coaching concepts and philosophy but yeah...should have an insider who knows hoops. Maybe that' s the case but the time frame doesn't seem to suggest that was possible.

OTOH, sometimes you luck out. Gladstone hired Tedford but it seems otherwise he was a very lazy AD...but he might have known what to look for via coaching experience. I'm not against search firms but more time and not relying on them so much would be better.
Northside91
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

calumnus said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

Maybe I was oblivious. Who were the posters that purportedly lied about having inside knowledge? I don't recall seeing anyone claiming that about the coaching search.

Same posters who BS about everything else, usually with substandard editing skills.
ducky23
I highly recommend everyone reading this blast from the past, as Gladstone explained his process of hiring tedford. So much of it is relevant.

https://cal.rivals.com/news/former-cal-ad-sheds-light-on-coaching-search

Takeaways

- he had a committe of football people (including jack clark) helping make the decision

- "what's challenging in the search, there are so many slick presentations and an enormous amount of politics involved. I remember getting a call from the head coach of the New York giants - he was just raving about this guy, one of his coordinators. Turns out, the head coach had just fired this guy. I guess he was doing him a favor." - Steve Gladstone

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.