Hello, my name is Disingenuous Jim..

8,273 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at Jim Knowlton's resume, he's worked in athletic administration at three schools prior to Cal:
1. West Point
2. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
3. Air Force

All strong academic schools but at all three, winning in intercollegiate athletics is well down the list of priorities. With this in mind, I don't think it's surprising that JK took the approach that he did and that he made the hire that he did. With his background in engineering, I hope failure analysis was on his list of questions for Fox: Why did he fail at Georgia and what did he learn from it that he can apply at Cal?
sonofabear51
Doubt it.
Start Slowly and taper off
Eastern Oregon Bear
HearstMining said:

Looking at Jim Knowlton's resume, he's worked in athletic administration at three schools prior to Cal:
1. West Point
3. Air Force

All strong academic schools but at all three, winning in intercollegiate athletics is well down the list of priorities. With this in mind, I don't think it's surprising that JK took the approach that he did and that he made the hire that he did. With his background in engineering, I hope failure analysis was on his list of questions for Fox: Why did he fail at Georgia and what did he learn from it that he can apply at Cal?
I don't know the exact years Knowlton was at Air Force and Fox was at Nevada, but I'm guessing there was some overlap and that Knowlton was somewhat familiar with Fox and his coaching style. They may have even crossed paths at Mtn West conference meetings. That would make it easier for Knowlton to hire Fox when he doesn't know much about the other candidates.
BearlyCareAnymore
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

I don't know the exact years Knowlton was at Air Force and Fox was at Nevada, but I'm guessing there was some overlap and that Knowlton was somewhat familiar with Fox and his coaching style. They may have even crossed paths at Mtn West conference meetings. That would make it easier for Knowlton to hire Fox when he doesn't know much about the other candidates.

Nope. Knowlton started at Air Force in 2015. Fox had been gone several years
touchdownbears43
All in all JK seems like a bust in over his head
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

And yet people will keep trying to come up for explanations for how Knowlton did what he did while ignoring the plain facts of when he did what he did and how long he spent doing it.

Nobody and I mean nobody buries their collective heads in the sand like Cal fans.
71Bear
NVGolfingBear said:

Does anybody here think that JK called up the search firm and said "Okay start looking and I'll interview your top 4. Call me when you have them lined up."

No interaction with the search firm;
No discussion with said firm re: qualifications, Cal admin requirements, experience in major conferences, academic standards, personal standards, west coast connections, basic salary structure, potential assistants, did I say probing about working within the Cal bureaucracy, recruiting skills, and all the other standard interview type questions search firms ask.

And those are the criteria for the Coach. What about the Cal limitations that the search firm had work with: salary range, contract length and term, preference for incentivized contracts (Just spitballing here), and don't forget to mention cost of living and no, Cal does not offer a private loan rate or subsidy and does not yet own a coach's home on the hill.

I believe there were extensive conversations with the firm before they got into the nitty gritty search. JK even hinted at that in the Wilner rag.
Knowlton to search firm: I need a new MBB Head coach
Chair of search firm to staff: Round up the usual suspects
Search firm to Knowlton: We have identified four candidates for your review

sluggo
Just curious, how is he disingenuous? Lazy, sure. Incompetent, definitely. But disingenuous?

Sluggo
Big C

HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

If you're looking for some "path crossing", do a timeline of when Knowlton first met the search firm guy.
sluggo
stu said:

If I were Knowlton I would have found one or two people with basketball coaching experience to participate in the interview process. Lindsay Gottlieb, Mike Montgomery, Ben Braun, Jay John, I'm sure there are others.
Exactly. As he clearly knows nothing himself, he needed a committee that knows basketball (which precludes Braun) and is interested in Cal's success. I can't believe he "pulled back the curtain" to reveal such a shoddy process.

Sluggo
Big C
71Bear said:

NVGolfingBear said:

Does anybody here think that JK called up the search firm and said "Okay start looking and I'll interview your top 4. Call me when you have them lined up."

No discussion with said firm re: qualifications, Cal admin requirements, experience in major conferences, academic standards, personal standards, west coast connections, basic salary structure, potential assistants, did I say probing about working within the Cal bureaucracy, recruiting skills, and all the other standard interview type questions search firms ask.

And those are the criteria for the Coach. What about the Cal limitations that the search firm had work with: salary range, contract length and term, preference for incentivized contracts (Just spitballing here), and don't forget to mention cost of living and no, Cal does not offer a private loan rate or subsidy and does not yet own a coach's home on the hill.

I believe there were extensive conversations with the firm before they got into the nitty gritty search. JK even hinted at that in the Wilner rag.

Knowlton quotes from the Wilner interview:

"... 'I just went on the road and just interviewed,' he said."

"... 'The great thing about a search firm -- they do a lot,' he said."

These search firms are amazing: Give them enough money and they will even do the Athletic Director's job for him!
wraptor347
https://collegesportsmaven.io/cal/basketball/cal-basketball-travis-decuire-still-has-mike-montgomery-s-endorsement-uTgxuswYvkaE_Np0NI2NSA/

The above article suggests JK did talk to Monty (last couple paragraphs). But it doesn't look like that was much of a factor...
socaltownie
God I am SICK of the complaining. And I thought _I_ could get on a negabear warpath.

The guy hasn't coached a single game yet. He clearly is better than Jones. He is a meh hire but it is what it is.

But if you want to complain go to Crisp. Tell HER that you are unhappy with JK. That once again Cal is letting down athletics because it REFUSES to hire an experienced P5 AD who has deep ties to the coaching community. That JK might be a "ncie guy" but AirForce is not a P5 school, nor RPI, nor Army. That once again our failure to do that is coming home.

She will, of course, tell you to wait till tip off and to "give Fox a chance." She is right.

It could be worse. We could be Kansas Football fans. THAT is a program which suffers ;-)
BearlyCareAnymore
Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

And yet people will keep trying to come up for explanations for how Knowlton did what he did while ignoring the plain facts of when he did what he did and how long he spent doing it.

Nobody and I mean nobody buries their collective heads in the sand like Cal fans.
Cal fans: George Washington absolutely did not chop down that cherry tree. I was with him the whole time. He couldn't have done it. Your accusations are salacious and outrageous.

George Washington: I cannot tell a lie. I chopped down that cherry tree

Cal fans: You misunderstand. He couldn't possibly mean he chopped down the cherry tree. That doesn't make any sense. He means he witnessed some vandal chopping down the cherry tree. That's it! Yeah. Oh, and by chopping, he must mean that after he came upon the chopped down tree, he helpfully chopped it into firewood for his father. Yeah, that's it. Aren't you ashamed?
BearlyCareAnymore
socaltownie said:

God I am SICK of the complaining. And I thought _I_ could get on a negabear warpath.

The guy hasn't coached a single game yet. He clearly is better than Jones. He is a meh hire but it is what it is.

But if you want to complain go to Crisp. Tell HER that you are unhappy with JK. That once again Cal is letting down athletics because it REFUSES to hire an experienced P5 AD who has deep ties to the coaching community. That JK might be a "ncie guy" but AirForce is not a P5 school, nor RPI, nor Army. That once again our failure to do that is coming home.

She will, of course, tell you to wait till tip off and to "give Fox a chance." She is right.

It could be worse. We could be Kansas Football fans. THAT is a program which suffers ;-)
So we've reached the "shut up. If you have a problem go take it to the massive Cal administration who we know will ignore you. Ha! Ha!"

Feel free to be too tired of banging your head against the wall if you want. The rest of us don't have to be quiet just because you no longer have the energy to complain.
rkt88edmo
Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Knowlton, you better hope the Fox can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

This is embarrassing.
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

diva1 said:

Jeff Van Gundy and Coach K were references for Fox but I guess the experts who post here know more than actual coaches
I also think his hiring of Trent Johnson speaks well, how often have we complained here that our coaches did not hire quality assts?

"Wyking is a five-star recruiter, a five-star coach and a five-star person. I'm so happy for him and his family." Louisville head coach Rick Pitino (from the announcement when Wyking was hired).
LOL. I think it's both human nature and good form to say nice things about your peers. I never put much stock in references.
Big C
sluggo said:

Just curious, how is he disingenuous? Lazy, sure. Incompetent, definitely. But disingenuous?

Sluggo
The "disingenuous" part is that we were led to believe (I forget the source... it's all getting hard to track) that Knowlton was "working on this" for months.

Apparently the only parts that was going on for months were:
a) ongoing evaluation of WJ's job performance (in other words, Knowlton observing the situation)
b) employment of the search firm

This "months of work" doesn't add up to much... at all.

One might ASSUME that the entire process would involve not only an ongoing evaluation of WJ (complete with talking to players and their families as well as "experts"), but also using established contacts (more than just a search firm) to begin searching for replacement candidates.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I think the difference is important.

Bottom line, if there are two Athletic Directors who are unqualified to hire a coach... one doesn't use a search firm, the other relies on a search firm, I guess I'll take the latter.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

71Bear said:

NVGolfingBear said:

These search firms are amazing: Give them enough money and they will even do the Athletic Director's job for him!
I mean he should have had his own list from the time we were 0-15 in conference and added his short list to the 4 that the search firm came up with. I think everyone on this board had some angst about this. The posts were numerous and ongoing. This was something that were passionate about. All of us were spending lots of our own unpaid time thinking about Wyking's termination, recruits, keeping current players, and potential hires. This was so far the most important hire of Knowlton's tenure at Cal, and I don't see a high level of due diligence. Enough to defend yourself? Sure.
FloriDreaming
sonofabear51 said:

Wow! Just wow. Disappointed. I would have thought there would have been much more time and consideration taken into this decision.
I feel like there is an echo here. Weren't we saying the same thing two years ago when Jones was hired? (Okay, that hire was a LOT more "***?" than this one, but the lack of attention in the hiring process is about the same.)

It was a different AD, but one thing remains the same.
PtownBear1
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Sluggo
The "disingenuous" part is that we were led to believe (I forget the source... it's all getting hard to track) that Knowlton was "working on this" for months.

a) ongoing evaluation of WJ's job performance (in other words, Knowlton observing the situation)

One might ASSUME that the entire process would involve not only an ongoing evaluation of WJ (complete with talking to players and their families as well as "experts"), but also using established contacts (more than just a search firm) to begin searching for replacement candidates.

Bottom line, if there are two Athletic Directors who are unqualified to hire a coach... one doesn't use a search firm, the other relies on a search firm, I guess I'll take the latter.
Don't see how that makes JK a liar if a source misreported. This thread should be renamed Hello My Name is Lazy Jim.
FloriDreaming
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Sluggo

Okay I'm of a couple minds on this. Personally, I've utilized search firms for key hires with very good success. And it could look from the outside that I didn't do a lot of work, but there was a lot of thought going into it.

With search firms, if you don't give them very specific direction it's garbage in-garbage out. So no, hiring a search firm isn't lazy - if it's utilized properly it's efficient.

As far as Knowlton starting the process months ago - sure doesn't look like it. It looks from here like he started the process right after he was forced to change his mind about keeping Jones. We'll never know the truth about that part. But I would say an AD with JK's background who DOESN'T use a search firm would be a lot more questionable (see "Mike Williams" for reference).
socaltownie
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

71Bear said:

NVGolfingBear said:

I mean he should have had his own list from the time we were 0-15 in conference and added his short list to the 4 that the search firm came up with. I think everyone on this board had some angst about this. The posts were numerous and ongoing. This was something that were passionate about. All of us were spending lots of our own unpaid time thinking about Wyking's termination, recruits, keeping current players, and potential hires. This was so far the most important hire of Knowlton's tenure at Cal, and I don't see a high level of due diligence. Enough to defend yourself? Sure.
Scary thought - JK just may not know nor care that much about Basketball. It isn't like the key issue at either Army or AF is winning big bowl games. Does RPI even HAVE a football team.

One of the reasons that I have always thought that Wisky does well is that Alverez has such deep ties to football (and is a passionate fan of Basketball). Everything that a lot of us want from AD's may simply not be in the cards.

A good question in interviewing would actually ask JK which 5 young coaches outside of the P5 he admires. Bet you a top dog crickets.
sluggo
Big C said:

sluggo said:

Sluggo

Okay, I understand now, but with this article coming out AFTER the previous news, he does not look disingenuous, just incompetent. I mean he was the source of the article.

I am not a fake news believer, but in cases where I have known the topic, I have been surprised how much reporters get wrong. So maybe there is more to the process, though I think he would be sending a clarification today if there was.

Agreed on your last point. WJ was incompetent, while MF does not make sense to me but is certainly competent. Hooray for the search firm.

Sluggo
3146gabby
The acrimony here is ugly. I am a '68 grad so know first hand decades of the pain.

Someone needs to do the following:

Within the real confines/parameters JK faced and who realistically would or would not come here, give me some argument why the names 'out there' before Fox was hired are substantively better than Fox OR at least justifies comments like "is JK intentionally trying to destroy Cal BB" et al:

Kidd: questions about coaching (some argued he is good, others not), personal issues, may have wanted to wait until Laker job opened, etc.

Musselman: some questionable history and his success is at a non major school w/minimal entrance requirements.,

Turner: no exp @ major and of course the brouhaha about Queen

DeC: perhaps the most intriguing, but how do you measure success @ U of Montana.

Conclusion: to say the Fox hire is obviously and seriously awful in light of the options does not seem to be supported by evidence.
'
Civil Bear
3146gabby said:

Conclusion: to say the Fox hire is obviously and seriously awful in light of the options does not seem to be supported by evidence.
'

It's a good thing nobody is actually saying that. People are saying the hire is mediocre, as demonstrated by his P5 experience.
Big C
PtownBear1 said:

Big C said:

sluggo said:

Sluggo

Don't see how that makes JK a liar if a source misreported. This thread should be renamed Hello My Name is Lazy Jim.
I agree. Disingenuous if JK, when describing how the process unfolded, actively led people to believe he was working on this for months, but not if it was a misreporting. I think the OP used the term believing it to be the former.
bluesaxe
socaltownie said:

OaktownBear said:

socaltownie said:

71Bear said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/01/cal-ad-jim-knowlton-explains-the-search-process-that-ended-with-mark-fox/

Could someone put up the piece. Behind a paywall. Just can afford to subscribe to all of these. Someone needs to create a subscription to multiple papers. That would be worth it.
It's not behind a paywall. They just want a donation. Just x out of the $43 for the Pac-12 hotline. You can read it.
I don't read very well but this is pretty clear.

"You've reached your 30-day article limit.

3 months of digital access for 99

Continue reading your article with a subscription to The Mercury News."

Try incognito mode.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Yogi Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

OK, I had a half baked thought that didn't hold up when more facts were disclosed. I apologize.

I'm sorry I wasn't as angry and indignant as everyone else and will keep my mouth shut in the future.
Eastern Oregon Bear
OaktownBear said:

HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

Thanks for setting me straight on that.
wifeisafurd
This sounds a lot like the SC board when they hired that retread Pete Carrol.

Fox wasn't the guy I would have picked, but I don't get to pick or determine the hiring process. I'm with SCT. Let's see what we got with Fox. Has to be improvement from where Cal basketball was a few weeks ago.
Yogi58
socaltownie said:

But if you want to complain go to Crisp.
I don't see how Coco is going to be able to change anything
calumnus
HearstMining said:

1. West Point
3. Air Force

Fox's speech to the team may have been similar to what he said in his interview with JK since it is what you might hear at a service academy. Does not seem so great for Cal, or for a team in this situation.

Hoping for the best.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.