I'm Sorry. People Need to be Called Out So We Stop this Stuff

6,017 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caltagjohnson said:

This whole issue is patently ridiculous.. Who Cal hires as a BB coach is hardly one of the burning issues of the day. Cal will be Cal regardless of who is hired. I graduated in 1960. During those last 2 years we went to two Final Fours and had one National championship. Hello!! That was almost SIXTY YEARS AGO! Since then we haven't even come close. This is not Duke, KY or Kansas. This is Cal. In the major sports we are barely mediocre. We should be thankful anyone even wants to coach here. The last good coach (and team) we had was Pete Newell. He is not coming back. If we stopped playing either FB or BB the sun would still come up tomorrow.
Well said.

I do think, however, that conference championships are not out of reach, and Cal proved that in 2010 with a good coach and good players. I think shooting for those titles is a good goal. If Montgomery was still here, the only team consistently standing between Cal and more titles would be Sean Miller and Arizona, but they may draw some serious penalties, and he might be gone also. Montgomery owned Altman and Oregon. UCLA can still draw the top recruits, but they need to find a good coach, or they can be beaten also. If Cal did this and won a few titles, better players might start coming to Cal, and more might be possible. To get beyond a victory or two in the NCAA's, Cal would need to bring in a steady flow of Zion Williamsons, and even he could not bring at title to Duke. I hope Cal never goes beyond the vision of Robert Gordon Sproul, who said, "At Cal we want students who play sports, not athletes who play at being students." Or something like that, To want far more than that, for NCAA titles, in this day and age is just fans being selfish. Many of the schools who try that end up on probation, like we did some 25 years ago.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Exactly
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.