Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Bears Roster Numbers Are Dwindling

April 4, 2019

Mark Fox, hired just a week ago as Cal’s basketball coach, is off to something of a tough start. He knew that a team coming off consecutive seasons of 20-plus losses would need considerable restructuring. Now he might have to go about rebuilding from almost the ground up.

Before Fox was even hired, guard Darius McNeill announced his intention to transfer. Some Cal observers thought that with the hiring McNeill night change his mind and he still might. But so far he is still on the way out. At his introductory press conference Monday, Fox said he had not spoken directly with McNeill yet and intended to do so.

Wednesday forward Justice Sueing (10 above), the Bears leading scorer and rebounder a year ago, announced he was entering the transfer portal. Then various outlets have reported that forward Roman Davis also was intending to leave.

With the presumed departures of Sueing (14.3 points per game) and McNeill (11.0) the Bears lose two of their top scorers from this past season. Sueing averaged 6.0 rebounds, by far the highest on the team.

Sueing and McNeill will have two years of eligibility remaining but would have to sit out a year at a new school. Davis, who played in just 16 games with two starts, is on schedule to graduate and would likely be eligible immediately at a new school if he does

The Bears had ten scholarship players returning, and three commitments from recruits. Now they have a little more flexibility in the recruiting process.

Of the three early signees, guard Charles Smith IV, and forward D.J. Thorpe are not expected to change their minds. However, guard Joel Brown is now reportedly on the fence.

Paris Austin, who averaged 11.6 points, is now the top returning scorer and will be the lone senior on next seasons roster. The other leading returnees are guard Matt Bradley, 7-3 center Connor Vanover, forward Andre Kelly, and guard Juhwan Harris-Dyson. Forwards Grant Anticevich and Jacobi Gordon are also still on board. None is expected to join the exodus.

Fox was at the Final Four Thursday and unavailable for comment according to a school spokeswoman. She said he was working on assembling a coaching staff.

Discussion from...

Bears Roster Numbers Are Dwindling

13,888 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bluehenbear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe Kelly can play forward next year. It would be better for the team he has a decent shot .potentially, a good player, especially with better coaching. Start him and Grant at the forwards. Thorpe and Vanover can share the center. Not sure who the shooting guard will be.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
Dear Ski: With that lineup, it will be a miracle for Cal to go 1-17 in conference play. My deceased grandmother can drive by both Grant and Kelly. No need to exhume the body......she could do it from the grave.
concordtom
There have been people on this blog who have suggested Cal go Ivy League and eliminate the scholarship. And now considering the famous actress-admissions scandal, maybe universities will also eliminate the "preferred athlete" admission advantage, too.

We could hold try outs and see what walk ons there are on campus.
calbearinamaze
helltopay1 said:

Dear Ski: With that lineup, it will be a miracle for Cal to go 1-17 in conference play. My deceased grandmother can drive by both Grant and Kelly. No need to exhume the body......she could do it from the grave.
HTP,

That's lol funny. Thank you.

This is real gut-check type for us fans. If we lose that ability to laugh at this %&*,
we're in danger of losing whatever mental faculties we have left after the BB season..

GO BEARS!!!!
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
joe amos yaks
helltopay1 said:

That is one hell of a drop crossover move.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

helltopay1 said:

His grandmother undoubtedly played in a time when the drop crossover was not a legal move. All changing hands on the dribble were done without palming the ball. So what Helltopay1 is saying here is that these defenders are even weaker than we might imagine.
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks
SFCityBear said:

joe amos yaks said:

helltopay1 said:

His grandmother undoubtedly played in a time when the drop crossover was not a legal move. All changing hands on the dribble were done without palming the ball. So what Helltopay1 is saying here is that these defenders are even weaker than we might imagine.

If Grand' played the rec leagues circuit in the '60's she might have gone left or right with a quick move. So yes, our boys will need improve their foot work.
calbear70
The problem with men's basketball is that starting with Cuonzo Martin recruits were never SOLD on Cal. We got excited with players like Jalen Brown, but let's face it, Jalen was never interested in graduating from Cal or impressed by the many wonderful experiences we all had at Cal. It was only about basketball. Cal is not Kentucky. We can not expect large number of high school all americans to come, play one year and leave.Only to be replaced by five more freshman phenoms the next year. I hope Mark Fox can get players to Cal and sell them on the school, not just the basketball court. If McNeil and Sueling leave ,so be it, that is there choice. They definitely have no affinity for the school. It appears to me they are marginal players who think they can be improved by another coach and thus make it professionally somewhere. Let's hope we can get a few solid good players who are willing to commit to the school and help restore a program which has been ruined by mismanagement at the AD level and the coaching level.
joe amos yaks
Jaylen Brown is a very smart person, outstanding student as well an exceptional athlete. He knew what he was doing, and it is evident.
oskidunker
helltopay1 said:

Defense is effort. With better coaching they can be good defenders. Can't recall when anyone ever complained about defense. It was always offense. Give them a chance. They are both good players and can be better defensively. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Go Bears!
Goobear
I think my point of contention is that both football and basketball programs at Cal need to be developed based on a longer term plan than most. It needs to be based on junior and senior laden players. Players who are tough on the team and in the class. This way you get guys who want to be here. The older guys compete with perhaps more talented teams and as wins come you can add a few stars. Now your program is not depending on super stars who are hard to get, you have a solid core solid win loss record and are believable as a program so top kids are interested in coming. A short term fix is fools gold. Investment in infra structure of course is a must. You are not believable if you don't. Good coaches are obviously also needed but they have to be want to be here and not bolt. I think Wilcox is a guy like that. Coaches need to be willing to be here a longer time. Cal to keep them and reward them as they help build both team success and donor and alumni success unless they falter then make quick resolute changes.....I think short term high expectations with Cal being Cal are bound to be not met. I am not taking a 10 year view. Phase 1, 2 years, phase 2, 2 years, phase 3, 2 years and should be the final phase in which to compete for championships to begin in years 5 or 6. Perhaps a coach can get you to phase 2 and gets stuck. Then you change and upgrade. Just as various businesses have needs for management changes as they grow, so is the case here most likely. Anyway my 2 cents.

Go Bears.
Big C
calbear70 said:

The problem with men's basketball is that starting with Cuonzo Martin recruits were never SOLD on Cal. We got excited with players like Jalen Brown, but let's face it, Jalen was never interested in graduating from Cal or impressed by the many wonderful experiences we all had at Cal. It was only about basketball. Cal is not Kentucky. We can not expect large number of high school all americans to come, play one year and leave.Only to be replaced by five more freshman phenoms the next year. I hope Mark Fox can get players to Cal and sell them on the school, not just the basketball court. If McNeil and Sueling leave ,so be it, that is there choice. They definitely have no affinity for the school. It appears to me they are marginal players who think they can be improved by another coach and thus make it professionally somewhere. Let's hope we can get a few solid good players who are willing to commit to the school and help restore a program which has been ruined by mismanagement at the AD level and the coaching level.
Sorry, but you don't even know enough about Jaylen Brown to spell his name correctly. Though a one-and-done, he was very much absorbed in all facets of the Cal experience.

I say we get players to Cal any way we can (within the letter and spirit of the rules) and then give them such a great experience that they'll fall in love with it.

Go Bears!
calumnus
Big C said:

calbear70 said:

Sorry, but you don't even know enough about Jaylen Brown to spell his name correctly. Though a one-and-done, he was very much absorbed in all facets of the Cal experience.

I say we get players to Cal any way we can (within the letter and spirit of the rules) and then give them such a great experience that they'll fall in love with it.

Go Bears!

70 is just wrong. The main thing Wyking had to sell is the school. The players that Martin and Jones brought in are good students. Jaylen is a great example, much like Shareef before him I would not be surprised to see him eventually come back and earn his degree and/or coach our team.

Players are leaving despite their love for the school and the friendships they have made.
SFCityBear
calbear70 said:

Brown may yet graduate from Cal. Or a different school. I'd almost bet on it. He has a respect for education.

As recall, McNeill's reason for leaving was to be close to his mother, who is ill.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

SFCityBear said:

joe amos yaks said:

helltopay1 said:

If Grand' played the rec leagues circuit in the '60's she might have gone left or right with a quick move. So yes, our boys will need improve their foot work.
The reason I knew right off that Uncle Drew was not as old as he looked, was his crossover move. He turned out to be Kyrie Irving in makeup and a wig.

SFCityBear
joe amos yaks
Are you suggesting that Grand' was wearing a wig?
Some do.
Some don't.
But not all had a crossover move.
calbearinamaze
calbear70 said:

That is so wrong it's mindboggling. At least do some research.
Jaylen (not Jalen) took a grad-level course at CAL for one thing. One goal (for the near-term is
to become President......of the NBPA. He's already VP.

that is there choice. ??????????????????

Bobodeluxe
That is where?
calbearinamaze
Bobodeluxe said:

That is where?
It's an age-old existential question isn't it.We all want to know where that actually is.
If McNeil and Sueling leave ,so be it, that is there choice

calbearinamaze
FOLLOW UP

Even though calbear70's body of work as for as positive posts go is a null set, I'd like
to give him a 47th chance.

But in a post in which he totally disrespects Jaylen Brown, he not only get's Jaylen's name wrong,
but uses "there" instead of "their".

Typos are forgivable......bad grammar not so much.
bluehenbear
Article is now out of date
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.