Mick Cronin hired to be UCLAs head coach

6,051 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearSD
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Cincinnati head man moving to Westwood
TheSouseFamily
socaliganbear
The Ben Howland dismissal is more hilarious by the day.
socaltownie
socaliganbear said:

The Ben Howland dismissal is more hilarious by the day.
Especially since he plays a similar style. I give him 4 years.
socaliganbear
TheSouseFamily said:

Overpaying for Cronin because they struck out several times before, yikes.
TheSouseFamily
Mark Fox has a better power conference record than Mick Cronin. Cincy had more tenth place or worse finishes (3) than top 5 finishes (1) in the Big East.
calgo430
they struck out just like we did
71Bear
TheSouseFamily said:

Mark Fox has a better power conference record than Mick Cronin. Cincy had more tenth place or worse finishes (3) than top 5 finishes (1) in the Big East.
Cincinnati is in the AAC. It is not one of the Power 6 in hoops.
TheSouseFamily
71Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Cincinnati was in the Big East from 2005-2013.
BeachedBear
71Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Cincinnati was in the Big East for the first seven years of Cronin's tenure before re-aligning to the AAC six seasons ago.
bear945
Cincinnati was in the Big East when he was coaching there from 06 to 13.
BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

Ehhhh. Cincinnati was a mess when Cronin got there and those poor conference finishes were his first 4 years there.

Cronin's Cincy teams were in the NCAA tournament the last 9 years in a row. For comparison, the Cal record for consecutive NCAA tournament appearances is 4 years in a row -- Newell's teams in 1957/58/59/60. Braun's teams had 3 in a row, 2001/02/03. There's no other stretch of more than 2 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. (source)
TheSouseFamily
BearSD said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Ehhhh. Cincinnati was a mess when Cronin got there and those poor conference finishes were his first 4 years there.

Cronin's Cincy teams were in the NCAA tournament the last 9 years in a row. For comparison, the Cal record for consecutive NCAA tournament appearances is 4 years in a row -- Newell's teams in 1957/58/59/60. Braun's teams had 3 in a row, 2001/02/03. There's no other stretch of more than 2 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. (source)

Cincy was bad when he got there, granted. But still, in his only stint coaching in a power conference, his teams finished 16th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 6th, 4th and 9th. Should we be impressed by that?
HoopDreams
Solid coach

Good hire for many schools

Bad fit for UCLA showtime

They overpaid big time

UCLA should be embarrassed that they couldn't hire a better coach with $5M/year
calbear80
HoopDreams said:

Solid coach

They overpaid big time

+1
BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

BearSD said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Cincy was bad when he got there, granted. But still, in his only stint coaching in a power conference, his teams finished 16th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 6th, 4th and 9th. Should we be impressed by that?
I look at it this way: There are only 4 teams, currently, with more consecutive NCAA appearances than Cincinnati -- Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, and Gonzaga. UCLA wasn't going to get Self, Krzyzewski, Izzo, or Few. They were never going to get Calipari either. They're better off with Cronin than the other guys they flirted with over the past two weeks, Dixon and Barnes.
Golden One
HoopDreams said:

Solid coach

They overpaid big time

The reported 6 years at $24 million looks like $4 million/year to me.
GoCalBears
HoopDreams said:

Solid coach

They overpaid big time

did they throw 4 or 5 mill towards few? wonder what will it takes for few to leave?
TheSouseFamily
GoCalBears said:

HoopDreams said:

Solid coach

They overpaid big time

did they throw 4 or 5 mill towards few? wonder what will it takes for few to leave?

Few has never shown even the slightest inclination that he wants to leave for another gig. Supposedly, his salary is in the $2M range which is far below his open market value. But Few seems to prefer to be out of the spotlight in Spokane where he can fish every day. Hard not to admire that.
ducky23
I know that we all think UCLA fans are delusional, but I think they should be pissed.

I'm continuously baffled as to why they can't attract a top tier coach. There is zero reason why they aren't the dominant basketball program on the west coast.

They have probably the greatest recruiting advantage of any school in the country. What 18-19 year old would not want to spend 1-2 years playing basketball in Los Angeles. Seriously.

If my choice is between Los Angeles or Lexington or East Lansing or Durham or Spokane or Lawrence, it seems like a f'ing no brainer.

BeachedBear
ducky23 said:

I know that we all think UCLA fans are delusional, but I think they should be pissed.

I'm continuously baffled as to why they can't attract a top tier coach. There is zero reason why they aren't the dominant basketball program on the west coast.

They have probably the greatest recruiting advantage of any school in the country. What 18-19 year old would not want to spend 1-2 years playing basketball in Los Angeles. Seriously.

If my choice is between Los Angeles or Lexington or East Lansing or Durham or Spokane or Lawrence, it seems like a f'ing no brainer.

I think this hire, along with ours and WSUs might suggest that potential coaching candidates (and probably the rest of the world) now consider the P12 a mid-major conference. Add to that the sense that many (if no most) of the conference schools seems to be caught up in the various investigations and the mid-major may turn into a low-major conference during their first contract.

Not to mention that most P12 games aren't televised (oh yeah - the P12 network hitting 1000 households nationwide).

But it should all turn around come 2024 and the new TV contracts that the P12 is well positioned for.
calumnus
ducky23 said:

Agreed. Like us, they have simply done a bad job in hiring coaches. Of course, they have had more potential to squander. They hired another physical-defense first hothead? Bad fit for UCLA

Plan C should have been the SC-Pete Carroll route and get a fired "name" NBA coach. Or player. What is Kobe doing these days?
HoopDreams
ducky23 said:

when we were recruiting Ira Lee, I remember there was a ucla basketball event on the beach.

hard to beat that as a recruiting event
Yogi58
TheSouseFamily said:

Well done, Mick Cronin's agent. Took advantage of their desperation.

Solid hire. Still won't satisfy UCLA fan delusions of grandeur though.
Yogi58
ducky23 said:

I'm continuously baffled as to why they can't attract a top tier coach.
Because nothing is ever good enough for their fanbase. It's inherently a job with a definite end date on it. Ben Howland took them to 3 Final Fours and only lasted ten years. If we had a coach that took us to three Final Fours, he'd coach until he couldn't remember how to put his false teeth back in.
82gradDLSdad
BeachedBear said:

ducky23 said:

I think this hire, along with ours and WSUs might suggest that potential coaching candidates (and probably the rest of the world) now consider the P12 a mid-major conference. Add to that the sense that many (if no most) of the conference schools seems to be caught up in the various investigations and the mid-major may turn into a low-major conference during their first contract.

Not to mention that most P12 games aren't televised (oh yeah - the P12 network hitting 1000 households nationwide).

But it should all turn around come 2024 and the new TV contracts that the P12 is well positioned for.

Yep. And I'm a middle aged, conservative guy, like these coaches, and I'd rather live almost anywhere than LA...even Spokane. (I just threw up a little bit with those two city choices)
southseasbear
calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

Agreed. Like us, they have simply done a bad job in hiring coaches. Of course, they have had more potential to squander. They hired another physical-defense first hothead? Bad fit for UCLA

Plan C should have been the SC-Pete Carroll route and get a fired "name" NBA coach. Or player. What is Kobe doing these days?
Thank goodness they didn't hire Jason Kidd, as it would have been embarrassing to see him sitting on their bench.
Strykur
Yogi Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Well done, Mick Cronin's agent. Took advantage of their desperation.

Solid hire. Still won't satisfy UCLA fan delusions of grandeur though.

Not even that, this hiring search shows no major coaches see upside with UCLA these days, Howland crashed and burned which sucked for them but Alford lowered the floor and then have yet to step up from it. Good move for Cronin, bad for UCLA.
BearSD
Cronin may or may not turn out to be a good hire, but at least he hasn't had half of UCLA's returning players racing each other to see who can be first to transfer out of there.

bluesaxe
Golden One said:

HoopDreams said:

Solid coach

They overpaid big time

The reported 6 years at $24 million looks like $4 million/year to me.
When they fire him after four it won't.
stu
LA Times story
bluesaxe
calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

The last one got them to multiple Final Fours. If that's a bad fit I'll take it.
calumnus
bluesaxe said:

calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

The last one got them to multiple Final Fours. If that's a bad fit I'll take it.

Lavin was getting them to Sweet 16s based on recruiting alone, Howland's discipline plus Russell Westbrook got Lavin's recruits to 3 consecutive Final Fours before kids found out Howland is an ******* and no fun to play for. It was a short term success but not a sustainable formula for UCLA and would not work for us. Similarly Braun taking over Bozeman's recruits and Monty taking over Braun's recruits produced some of our best teams (relative to Cal versus UCLA). Ideally you get a coach who can recruit, who can coach, and kids want to play for.
BearSD
calumnus said:

Lavin was getting them to Sweet 16s based on recruiting alone,
Which is why ucla was dumb to get rid of him. They haven't done better since. Lavin was doing what Sean Miller has done at Arizona -- recruiting first, second, and third; coaching 'em up farther down the list. Difference is that Arizona's boosters and administration don't run off a head coach who consistently makes the sweet 16 just because he doesn't win any national titles.
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

Lavin was getting them to Sweet 16s based on recruiting alone,
Which is why ucla was dumb to get rid of him. They haven't done better since. Lavin was doing what Sean Miller has done at Arizona -- recruiting first, second, and third; coaching 'em up farther down the list. Difference is that Arizona's boosters and administration don't run off a head coach who consistently makes the sweet 16 just because he doesn't win any national titles.

Lavin was young and stupid. Instead of hiring a wizened old guy to help him with Xs and Os, he hired all his friends from Marin as assistant coaches. He spent his time recruiting, partying and dating Hollywood starlets, not necessarily in that order. As the bloom came off the rose, SoCal recruits who wanted NBA careers started looking elsewhere. That elsewhere was increasingly Stanford, Duke and Arizona.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.