When will we hear something about transfers and recruits

10,711 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by philbert
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

I keep waiting for the first transfer in to be announced. Grad big would be preferred...
Zion Williamson would be even better.
Or Jason Kidd.
That would make Cal more entertaining, and fill the seats. But neither Williamson's or Kidd's teams ever won any conference or NCAA championships. Which one floats your boat, a hot recruit or a championship?
Oh, so you're saying I'm gonna see a championship in my lifetime?
Bah! Crock!
tsubamoto2001
I think the best case scenario would be to get Sueing and Vanover back. It's very unlikely we'll get better players to replace them, especially since they are considered to be a couple of the better sit-out transfers available. IMO, Fox's rebuilding job would be greatly eased if those 2 stay. If they leave, no one can reasonably expect Cal to be better than 9th to 12th place in the conference. The middle of the conference is do-able if our only losses end up being McNeill and Davis.

As far as PG, I feel like Paris Austin is ok. Not great, but he'll be a 5th year senior. The freshman Joel Brown looks promising and getting 15-20 minutes per game from him should be good experience to eventually develop into a starter as a sophomore.

SFCityBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

SFCB,

Zion and Kidd were otherworldly college players. One is a Hall of Famer and Zion is likely headed for a HOF NBA career (not an outlandish thing to say, IMO).

He was the main reason Duke was a National Title contender this season and the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. Zion led the NCAA in Box Score Plus-Minus. He was 2nd in Win Shares and WS per 40 minutes. No player had a greater impact on winning basketball than he did this past season.

Duke was way worse without Zion. They beat Virginia twice and that probably doesn't happen without Zion. UVa would have likely gone undefeated in the regular season had Duke not had Zion. Duke went 3-3 without Zion (he played 1 minute in the first UNC game, where his shoe exploded and he hurt his knee). They went 29-3 with Zion. The other 3 games they lost with Zion? A 2-point loss to Gonzaga early in the season, an OT loss to Syracuse, and a 1-point loss to Michigan State in the Elite 8. Had they not had Zion or replaced him with a similar player (a tough task), they probably have 10+ losses.

And the Kidd years for Cal brought the first 2 consecutive seasons of single-digit losses (21-9, 22-8) since the Newell Era. But who would want that, right? And since then Cal has only had single-digit loss seasons 3 times in 25 seasons.

Point is, both Kidd and Zion made their teams much better, and did not simply "entertain" or "fill the seats".

SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

I keep waiting for the first transfer in to be announced. Grad big would be preferred...
Or Jason Kidd.
That would make Cal more entertaining, and fill the seats. But neither Williamson's or Kidd's teams ever won any conference or NCAA championships. Which one floats your boat, a hot recruit or a championship?

Thanks for all the information, and you are spot on with your conclusions.

However, I was writing my post in response to the topic raised by Parentswerebears that he hoped for Cal to bring in a grad transfer big, and Concord Tom replied that he thought a Zion Williamson or Kidd would be better. So I wrote it in terms of what Cal needs now. There is no doubt that Zion or Jason would improve this wreck of a team called Cal, but only for one year. Jason would improve it more than Zion, IMO, because he would get all five players involved by setting them up for easy open shots, and he would lead the defense, and get them all to play better. Zion is more of an individual star, but the team would be better.

Also, remember that both Zion and Jason did not joint teams at Duke and at Cal which had the deficient roster that Cal has right now. Both of them joined rosters which were already above average. The rosters that they joined were night and day different than Cal's roster at the moment. If Cal wants to go forward this year, a grad big would be desirable. We have no wings other than Bradley, so even a Grant Mullins type would help this roster. If we don't get Vanover back, then a grad transfer big would be good. I would like to see a good grad transfer PG like Arizona's Mark Lyons would help a lot. In any case, it should be a player who does not become the star of the team and then leave in a year, leaving us right back where we were. Jason Kidd would be better than a Zion, because he could teach the rest of the players and maybe the coach how to play winning basketball, all IMHO.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Or Jason Kidd.
Oh, so you're saying I'm gonna see a championship in my lifetime?
Bah! Crock!
Here is another guy telling me what I'm saying. You'll have to get in line, buddy.

I have no idea how long it will take for Cal to win a championship again. I have no idea how old you are. But if you don't want that, or hope for it, why are you posting here? Just to pile on with the negativity for us Cal fans, when you did not even attend Cal, as I remember? If you want to just watch athletes perform for your entertainment, and don't care about winning anything, then watch the NBA on TV, or go to the ballet and get some culture at the same time, or go to a track meet. In these places you will see athleticism on display, and you don't have to invest any emotion in winning or losing.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
tsubamoto2001 said:

I think the best case scenario would be to get Sueing and Vanover back. It's very unlikely we'll get better players to replace them, especially since they are considered to be a couple of the better sit-out transfers available. IMO, Fox's rebuilding job would be greatly eased if those 2 stay. If they leave, no one can reasonably expect Cal to be better than 9th to 12th place in the conference. The middle of the conference is do-able if our only losses end up being McNeill and Davis.

As far as PG, I feel like Paris Austin is ok. Not great, but he'll be a 5th year senior. The freshman Joel Brown looks promising and getting 15-20 minutes per game from him should be good experience to eventually develop into a starter as a sophomore.

SFCityBear said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

SFCB,

Zion and Kidd were otherworldly college players. One is a Hall of Famer and Zion is likely headed for a HOF NBA career (not an outlandish thing to say, IMO).

He was the main reason Duke was a National Title contender this season and the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. Zion led the NCAA in Box Score Plus-Minus. He was 2nd in Win Shares and WS per 40 minutes. No player had a greater impact on winning basketball than he did this past season.

Duke was way worse without Zion. They beat Virginia twice and that probably doesn't happen without Zion. UVa would have likely gone undefeated in the regular season had Duke not had Zion. Duke went 3-3 without Zion (he played 1 minute in the first UNC game, where his shoe exploded and he hurt his knee). They went 29-3 with Zion. The other 3 games they lost with Zion? A 2-point loss to Gonzaga early in the season, an OT loss to Syracuse, and a 1-point loss to Michigan State in the Elite 8. Had they not had Zion or replaced him with a similar player (a tough task), they probably have 10+ losses.

And the Kidd years for Cal brought the first 2 consecutive seasons of single-digit losses (21-9, 22-8) since the Newell Era. But who would want that, right? And since then Cal has only had single-digit loss seasons 3 times in 25 seasons.

Point is, both Kidd and Zion made their teams much better, and did not simply "entertain" or "fill the seats".

SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Or Jason Kidd.

Thanks for all the information, and you are spot on with your conclusions.

However, I was writing my post in response to the topic raised by Parentswerebears that he hoped for Cal to bring in a grad transfer big, and Concord Tom replied that he thought a Zion Williamson or Kidd would be better. So I wrote it in terms of what Cal needs now. There is no doubt that Zion or Jason would improve this wreck of a team called Cal, but only for one year. Jason would improve it more than Zion, IMO, because he would get all five players involved by setting them up for easy open shots, and he would lead the defense, and get them all to play better. Zion is more of an individual star, but the team would be better.

Also, remember that both Zion and Jason did not joint teams at Duke and at Cal which had the deficient roster that Cal has right now. Both of them joined rosters which were already above average. The rosters that they joined were night and day different than Cal's roster at the moment. If Cal wants to go forward this year, a grad big would be desirable. We have no wings other than Bradley, so even a Grant Mullins type would help this roster. If we don't get Vanover back, then a grad transfer big would be good. I would like to see a good grad transfer PG like Arizona's Mark Lyons would help a lot. In any case, it should be a player who does not become the star of the team and then leave in a year, leaving us right back where we were. Jason Kidd would be better than a Zion, because he could teach the rest of the players and maybe the coach how to play winning basketball, all IMHO.

I agree with you on Vanover and Sueing, Sueing for continuity and Vanover, who has a lot of potential to be a force. It was what I feared most about firing Wyking when they did it. That the roster, and what little he had built would collapse. The next coach starts late in the game, and will be lucky to land recruits or transfers, which is what usually happens. One blessing may be the portal, where a kid can test the waters and change his mind. Austin is OK, but he carries a big load, being asked to set others up and score a lot as well. His defense is not PAC12 level, I think. He would be better if he played on a team with more players who are willing to pass to others when they don't have an open shot.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
What you won't believe is that players would have left if Jones was retained. Kelly for sure and probably McNeil and Dyson.

They are tired if losing with Jones and are not convinced Fox will further their nba aspirations or create a championship team

Players come. Players leave. Since we were the worst team in the nation, I am not assuming it was ALL coaching. Suing may not be a starter anywhere else and Vanover still is a defensive liability.

If we start over with all new players, the results may be better than you think. If I knew all the players would leave, I would still fire Jones because he was not teaching anyone anything and even with 5 star players we would not be a championship team.
Go Bears!
stu
oskidunker said:

If we start over with all new players, the results may be better than you think.
Probably so, certainly better than the last two seasons. But we have yet to see even one new player so for a while it might be worse than you think.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

What you won't believe is that players would have left if Jones was retained. Kelly for sure and probably McNeil and Dyson.

They are tired if losing with Jones and are not convinced Fox will further their nba aspirations or create a championship team

Players come. Players leave. Since we were the worst team in the nation, I am not assuming it was ALL coaching. Suing may not be a starter anywhere else and Vanover still is a defensive liability.

If we start over with all new players, the results may be better than you think. If I knew all the players would leave, I would still fire Jones because he was not teaching anyone anything and even with 5 star players we would not be a championship team.

Not knowing all the facts, I still think the AD may not have called a meeting for the three players (one was Kelly, for sure) and their parents and Jones and his staff to address the players' complaints and try and get the parties to see if they could not come to a solution. Before firing the coach as Knowlton did, that is what I would have done. Of course, he may not have thought of it, or maybe he did, and the players and parents or even Wyking refused such a meeting. If there was no attempt at reconciliation, then I certainly expected those 3 players at least to leave right away if Wyking was not fired.

I think the results starting over with new players might be marginally better, simply because we have a veteran coach who knows how to do enough things to win half his games with average material. That would be an improvement. And most coaches do better after they get their own roster. But if he does not recruit well, and first year coaches seldom do, it will take years to rebuild. He is not going to land any one and dones, 2 and dones or 3 and dones this year, unless they are transfers. Maybe he has a good eye for hidden talent and he can find some.

I disagree with you somewhat on Vanover. He is a liability on defense, but what current Cal player isn't? JHD maybe, except he fouls so much, he can't stay on the floor. At least he is aggressive. Cal was one of the worst if not the worst defensive teams in the country, and you can't blame much of that on Vanover, because he played very few minutes compared to most of the rotation.

I also disagree that Wyking did not teach anyone anything. That is speculation on your part, isn't it? Learning is a two way street, and even if the coach teaches the right things, players may not be capable or want to do it. Jones clearly taught Vanover a lot, because he had improved a lot from the beginning of the season. Anticevich looked improved to me. McNeill regressed, in my mind, but he was learning a new position. Kelly seemed to not improve, and regressed a bit. I think Sueing seems to play by himself, and may not be so easy to teach, but that is speculation on my part. Bradley and Vanover are just freshmen, and with more coaching could become good players. It's fun to speculate, but I wish we didn't have to do it.
SFCityBear
calumnus
stu said:

oskidunker said:

If we start over with all new players, the results may be better than you think.
Probably so, certainly better than the last two seasons. But we have yet to see even one new player so for a while it might be worse than you think.

Fox is going to have the "Wyking left no good players" or "it's Cal" excuse for at least three years, probably more. He'll get extended with a sub-500 conference record.
Cal8285
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Not knowing all the facts, I still think the AD may not have called a meeting for the three players (one was Kelly, for sure) and their parents and Jones and his staff to address the players' complaints and try and get the parties to see if they could not come to a solution. Before firing the coach as Knowlton did, that is what I would have done. Of course, he may not have thought of it, or maybe he did, and the players and parents or even Wyking refused such a meeting. If there was no attempt at reconciliation, then I certainly expected those 3 players at least to leave right away if Wyking was not fired.

I think the results starting over with new players might be marginally better, simply because we have a veteran coach who knows how to do enough things to win half his games with average material. That would be an improvement. And most coaches do better after they get their own roster. But if he does not recruit well, and first year coaches seldom do, it will take years to rebuild. He is not going to land any one and dones, 2 and dones or 3 and dones this year, unless they are transfers. Maybe he has a good eye for hidden talent and he can find some.

I disagree with you somewhat on Vanover. He is a liability on defense, but what current Cal player isn't? JHD maybe, except he fouls so much, he can't stay on the floor. At least he is aggressive. Cal was one of the worst if not the worst defensive teams in the country, and you can't blame much of that on Vanover, because he played very few minutes compared to most of the rotation.

I also disagree that Wyking did not teach anyone anything. That is speculation on your part, isn't it? Learning is a two way street, and even if the coach teaches the right things, players may not be capable or want to do it. Jones clearly taught Vanover a lot, because he had improved a lot from the beginning of the season. Anticevich looked improved to me. McNeill regressed, in my mind, but he was learning a new position. Kelly seemed to not improve, and regressed a bit. I think Sueing seems to play by himself, and may not be so easy to teach, but that is speculation on my part. Bradley and Vanover are just freshmen, and with more coaching could become good players. It's fun to speculate, but I wish we didn't have to do it.
I'm sure it is going too far to say that Jones was not teaching anyone anything, but there is a serious lack of evidence that Jones was teaching enough.

To avoid putting words into your mouth, however, here is exactly what YOU posted 3 months ago regarding Jones: "There is no evidence he can help with game strategy, or with game tactics. There is not a lot of evidence over the last two years that he can make players individually better, or better team players. He might be able to coach bigs, but I didn't see much improvement in KO last season, maybe regression. Did Rooks leave because he felt he'd get better personal coaching at SDS? So that leaves recruiting. Jones is perhaps adequate in that regard."

With that analysis from the biggest Jones supporter around, the AD doesn't need to have a meeting. Sure, there is some "speculation," but we can see results. No meeting necessary to fire the HC that you described, all one needs is your observations. And I'm sure that Knowlton made many observations beyond that which warranted a firing.

I am not optimistic that Fox can take Cal beyond middle of the Pac. I am, however, optimistic that he will be a big improvement over Jones. Based on the words I quoted from SFCityBear, that is a very low bar. Still, an improvement.
SFCityBear
Cal8285 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I'm sure it is going too far to say that Jones was not teaching anyone anything, but there is a serious lack of evidence that Jones was teaching enough.

To avoid putting words into your mouth, however, here is exactly what YOU posted 3 months ago regarding Jones: "There is no evidence he can help with game strategy, or with game tactics. There is not a lot of evidence over the last two years that he can make players individually better, or better team players. He might be able to coach bigs, but I didn't see much improvement in KO last season, maybe regression. Did Rooks leave because he felt he'd get better personal coaching at SDS? So that leaves recruiting. Jones is perhaps adequate in that regard."

With that analysis from the biggest Jones supporter around, the AD doesn't need to have a meeting. Sure, there is some "speculation," but we can see results. No meeting necessary to fire the HC that you described, all one needs is your observations. And I'm sure that Knowlton made many observations beyond that which warranted a firing.

I am not optimistic that Fox can take Cal beyond middle of the Pac. I am, however, optimistic that he will be a big improvement over Jones. Based on the words I quoted from SFCityBear, that is a very low bar. Still, an improvement.
This post is just petty. You got your way. Wyking Jones was fired by a fumbled process, first maybe a vote of confidence, and maybe a swift retraction after a conference phone call with three disgruntled parents, and then off with his head. No one among you Jones-haters ever publicly stopped to consider the consequences of firing Jones at the end of a season where the team began to show some improvement. You all thought any coach would be better than Jones, and no one thought any of these players would not be happy if Jones got the axe and might leave our precious Cal. You all expected that Cal would hire a good coach or at least hire a promising coach who would give us hope. Surprise. It didn't happen that way, and now you don't like the way forward, the way that you all wished for and maybe helped create.

Yes, I said those words you quoted and stick by them. The guy who wrote them does not sound like a Jones supporter to me. And I wasn't. I said so a number of times. I was not a Jones supporter. I was a supporter of a proper process to decide his fate. I said a few times that I did not know enough to fire him. I wanted to know whether he was not teaching the players the right things or whether the players were resisting doing the right things. Were they stubborn punks or were they immature kids wanting to goof off and not listen to an inexperienced coach? Were they just not very talented players? I needed to see practices to gauge what was going on between players and coach. We are barred from practice, and so I depend on those who have seen practice, like Mike Montgomery. He stated that Jones was teaching the right things. Some Jones detractors went so far as to accuse Montgomery of not being honest when talking about another coach. Montgomery may be many things, but you got more honesty out of him over the years as Cal coach than I've heard from a lot of coaches. A number of you guys had your minds made up to fire Jones the day he took the job as head coach.

My observations which you quoted were from January 27, prior to the time when Vanover had made enough improvement to move from the far end of the bench with the walk-ons into Wyking's usual 6 or 7 man rotation and start getting meaningful minutes. That happened on February 3, against Stanford. Two games later, on February 6, against Oregon State, Vanover had progressed enough to be named a starter, where he remained for the rest of the season. Cal began to play better as a team, but it would be 5 more games until Cal before would win its first PAC12 game, a great win against the eventual PAC12 champion, Washington on February 28. There were even Jones haters who said that the reason Vanover improved was not anything Wyking Jones did, it was just that he got more playing time and got more comfortable the more he played. Of course playing in games helps, but he had to impress the coach in practice before he would be granted minutes. Some of you guys are unbelievable, in what you will say to defend a point of view, just close your eyes and type.

Anyone who has been a manager knows that you have to resolve disputes, and a good AD doesn't do that by making a decision just by looking from the stands at how the games are being played, and whether the team or the players are playing better or not. You say you are sure that the AD made a lot more observations than mine to make his decision. How can you be sure of that? Did you talk with him or Jones or any of the players? Do you even know if he attended practices at all? If you are so sure of this, then what are your sources? I, in fact, am very suspicious. It sure looks to me from the events that took place, that he talked with no one we know of beyond what we have read in the media. I doubt that he ever went to practices. Why do you think Monty went to Jones' practices? He wanted to make up his mind about Jones. I doubt that Knowlton did a thorough coaching search. I think he allowed himself to be swayed by those in the Admin who worried about the empty seats, by the deep pocket donors, and maybe threatened by the three sets of parents on the conference call. I got the feeling he doesn't know a basketball from a beach ball, any more than Mike Williams did. I hope to hell I'm wrong, and Fox turns out to be a bright light and saves the Cal program from its current situation. And saves the AD his job.
SFCityBear
Cal8285
SFCityBear said:

Cal8285 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

This post is just petty. You got your way. Wyking Jones was fired by a fumbled process, first maybe a vote of confidence, and maybe a swift retraction after a conference phone call with three disgruntled parents, and then off with his head. No one among you Jones-haters ever publicly stopped to consider the consequences of firing Jones at the end of a season where the team began to show some improvement. You all thought any coach would be better than Jones, and no one thought any of these players would not be happy if Jones got the axe and might leave our precious Cal. You all expected that Cal would hire a good coach or at least hire a promising coach who would give us hope. Surprise. It didn't happen that way, and now you don't like the way forward, the way that you all wished for and maybe helped create.

Yes, I said those words you quoted and stick by them. The guy who wrote them does not sound like a Jones supporter to me. And I wasn't. I said so a number of times. I was not a Jones supporter. I was a supporter of a proper process to decide his fate. I said a few times that I did not know enough to fire him. I wanted to know whether he was not teaching the players the right things or whether the players were resisting doing the right things. Were they stubborn punks or were they immature kids wanting to goof off and not listen to an inexperienced coach? Were they just not very talented players? I needed to see practices to gauge what was going on between players and coach. We are barred from practice, and so I depend on those who have seen practice, like Mike Montgomery. He stated that Jones was teaching the right things. Some Jones detractors went so far as to accuse Montgomery of not being honest when talking about another coach. Montgomery may be many things, but you got more honesty out of him over the years as Cal coach than I've heard from a lot of coaches. A number of you guys had your minds made up to fire Jones the day he took the job as head coach.

My observations which you quoted were from January 27, prior to the time when Vanover had made enough improvement to move from the far end of the bench with the walk-ons into Wyking's usual 6 or 7 man rotation and start getting meaningful minutes. That happened on February 3, against Stanford. Two games later, on February 6, against Oregon State, Vanover had progressed enough to be named a starter, where he remained for the rest of the season. Cal began to play better as a team, but it would be 5 more games until Cal before would win its first PAC12 game, a great win against the eventual PAC12 champion, Washington on February 28. There were even Jones haters who said that the reason Vanover improved was not anything Wyking Jones did, it was just that he got more playing time and got more comfortable the more he played. Of course playing in games helps, but he had to impress the coach in practice before he would be granted minutes. Some of you guys are unbelievable, in what you will say to defend a point of view, just close your eyes and type.

Anyone who has been a manager knows that you have to resolve disputes, and a good AD doesn't do that by making a decision just by looking from the stands at how the games are being played, and whether the team or the players are playing better or not. You say you are sure that the AD made a lot more observations than mine to make his decision. How can you be sure of that? Did you talk with him or Jones or any of the players? Do you even know if he attended practices at all? If you are so sure of this, then what are your sources? I, in fact, am very suspicious. It sure looks to me from the events that took place, that he talked with no one we know of beyond what we have read in the media. I doubt that he ever went to practices. Why do you think Monty went to Jones' practices? He wanted to make up his mind about Jones. I doubt that Knowlton did a thorough coaching search. I think he allowed himself to be swayed by those in the Admin who worried about the empty seats, by the deep pocket donors, and maybe threatened by the three sets of parents on the conference call. I got the feeling he doesn't know a basketball from a beach ball, any more than Mike Williams did. I hope to hell I'm wrong, and Fox turns out to be a bright light and saves the Cal program from its current situation. And saves the AD his job.
How do you know the process was fumbled when Jones was fired? You are speculating. You are basing that on unverified posts made that the AD seems to deny were true. Why do you trust unverified posts and not the AD? I acknowledge, the AD could be lying, but he also could be telling the truth.

If you have been around Cal long enough, then you should know that certain things are true. A LOT of things have happened beyond what you read in the media. The Cal rumor mill is VERY unreliable, even with the sources are typically reliable sources. Case in point, I heard 3 inconsistent different versions of John Kasser leaving Cal, all of which came from well connected typically reliable sources. To this day, I don't know which, if any, was true, but I know that at most, one was true.

If you think that the firing was based on player complaints and any need to "come to a solution" to "resolve disputes," then a) you are speculating, and b) I'm 99.4% sure you are wrong. I don't care who your sources are, players, coaches, the AD himself, whatever you think happened, you are speculating.

Any good manager knows that when a lower level manager under him is hopelessly over his head, you don't try to resolve a "dispute," the "solution" you come to is replace that lower level manager.

Jones was way over his head, you know it, I know it, he needed to be replaced. You said in a post TWO DAYS AGO, "Jones had almost nothing to recommend him except enough team improvement to win their last three games."

If that's all that Jones had to recommend him, then any competent AD should have fired him. In one sense, I think you don't give Jones enough credit, he also had to recommend him the fact that in 8 of the final 10 games, the team was improved over the prior 12 games. However, that begs the question, when the team showed how it could play in games like St. John's and San Diego St., why couldn't Jones get them to play decently for a 12 game stretch? They played 31 minutes of really good basketball against UW. Why couldn't the team play that level of basketball at any other time during the year, not even in the next two games they won or the Pac-12 tournament, and certainly not during any other prior game. Unlike the UW game in Seattle, when the Bears got ahead by 11 in the first half and it was more about how poorly UW was playing than how well Cal was playing, those first 31 minutes against UW at Cal were precisely about how well Cal was playing. They had it in them, why could Jones never get that quality of play out of his team all season except in those 31 minutes? How could any competent HC let a team play the way they did against USC at Haas, when it was very hard not to feel like a 6th grade CYO team had better fundamentals?

Maybe the process of terminating him was fumbled, maybe the process of replacing him was fumbled, but none of that changes what I think every observer understood -- Jones was in over his head as a HC. That may not be enough for you, but a good manager would say that is enough to cut the losses on the old decision and move ahead.

If there were two choices, several more years of basketball doom under Jones or a couple years of doom under Fox followed by mediocrity, well, I'll take the latter. I hope we do better than that with Fox, but no matter what, I don't want a coach of whom you said 2 days ago, "Jones had almost nothing to recommend him except enough team improvement to win their last three games."

Nope, that's a coach that needed to go, perhaps in a better process, perhaps replaced in a better process, but man, that's a coach that needs to go, period.
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

Cal8285 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I go to a restaurant and order a steak. The waiter brings it out and it is burned beyond recognition. I'm upset. I send it back. The waiter comes back in 30 second with a raw steak on a plate. Now I'm really mad. His response is that I should have realized when I sent the first steak back that it could get worse so it is my own fault and I have no right to complain.

You are the waiter in this scenario. I expect that the AD will be competent. That means he makes competent decisions. Not that he makes some competent decisions and some incompetent. I expect 2 competent decisions here. Fire a failing coach. Hire a good candidate to replace him. If he fails in either decision, he gets a failing grade. He doesn't get a pass on the second decision because he made the first. You keep saying we got what we want - Jones getting fired, and we're still not happy. Jones being fired was not what I wanted. A good coach is what I wanted. If Knowlton instead found Aladdin's lamp and used a wish to turn Jones into a good coach, I would be fine. Given that unlikelihood, firing him and hiring a good coach was the only way to get what I wanted. That is a two step process. It was implied as part of the desire of everyone who wanted Jones fired. Being cute and pretending ignorance in that so you can say "well you didn't say that is what you wanted" like an effing 3 year old is not a genuine argument.
joe amos yaks
OaktownBear said:

I go to a restaurant and order a steak. The waiter brings it out and it is burned beyond recognition. I'm upset. I send it back. The waiter comes back in 30 second with a raw steak on a plate. Now I'm really mad. His response is that I should have realized when I sent the first steak back that it could get worse so it is my own fault and I have no right to complain.

You are the waiter in this scenario. I expect that the AD will be competent. That means he makes competent decisions. Not that he makes some competent decisions and some incompetent. I expect 2 competent decisions here. Fire a failing coach. Hire a good candidate to replace him. If he fails in either decision, he gets a failing grade. He doesn't get a pass on the second decision because he made the first. You keep saying we got what we want - Jones getting fired, and we're still not happy. Jones being fired was not what I wanted. A good coach is what I wanted. If Knowlton instead found Aladdin's lamp and used a wish to turn Jones into a good coach, I would be fine. Given that unlikelihood, firing him and hiring a good coach was the only way to get what I wanted. That is a two step process. It was implied as part of the desire of everyone who wanted Jones fired. Being cute and pretending ignorance in that so you can say "well you didn't say that is what you wanted" like an effing 3 year old is not a genuine argument.
Should have ordered steak tartare.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

You all thought any coach would be better than Jones, and no one thought any of these players would not be happy if Jones got the axe and might leave our precious Cal. You all expected that Cal would hire a good coach or at least hire a promising coach who would give us hope. Surprise. It didn't happen that way, and now you don't like the way forward, the way that you all wished for and maybe helped create.

^^^This from a guy that said just yesterday in the very same thread:
Quote:

Here is another guy telling me what I'm saying. You'll have to get in line, buddy.
BeachedBear
joe amos yaks said:

OaktownBear said:

Should have ordered steak tartare.
He shouldn't order steaks at Golden Corral. And that's the real key here. Cal is to D1 Basketball as Golden Corral is to restaurants.
Big C
Ever eat steak in France? They serve 'em REALLY rare. I mean, what they call "medium", we would call "rare-to-very-rare". They say you can tell how good the meat is that way. Twice, I could hardly chew the meat, it was so rare. No way I was sending it back. i figure who knows what they're going to do to an American's steak that gets sent back.
oskidunker
The suspense is stifling. Will Vanover and Sueing leave? Will the next Jason Kidd transfer here?can aaustralia save Cal? Will we all have to bow down to sfcity when we win less games than last year! Am awaiting the next star and an end to off topics.
Go Bears!
Civil Bear
Big C said:

Ever eat steak in France? They serve 'em REALLY rare. I mean, what they call "medium", we would call "rare-to-very-rare". They say you can tell how good the meat is that way. Twice, I could hardly chew the meat, it was so rare. No way I was sending it back. i figure who knows what they're going to do to an American's steak that gets sent back.
You sure it wasn't filet de cheval?
helltopay1
Over/under on Cal winning g ames in pac-12 games next year: two. I just called my bookie. I'm going for thge under.
oskidunker
Thank you for an on topic post!
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
Cal8285 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal8285 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

How do you know the process was fumbled when Jones was fired? You are speculating. You are basing that on unverified posts made that the AD seems to deny were true. Why do you trust unverified posts and not the AD? I acknowledge, the AD could be lying, but he also could be telling the truth.

If you have been around Cal long enough, then you should know that certain things are true. A LOT of things have happened beyond what you read in the media. The Cal rumor mill is VERY unreliable, even with the sources are typically reliable sources. Case in point, I heard 3 inconsistent different versions of John Kasser leaving Cal, all of which came from well connected typically reliable sources. To this day, I don't know which, if any, was true, but I know that at most, one was true.

If you think that the firing was based on player complaints and any need to "come to a solution" to "resolve disputes," then a) you are speculating, and b) I'm 99.4% sure you are wrong. I don't care who your sources are, players, coaches, the AD himself, whatever you think happened, you are speculating.

Any good manager knows that when a lower level manager under him is hopelessly over his head, you don't try to resolve a "dispute," the "solution" you come to is replace that lower level manager.

Jones was way over his head, you know it, I know it, he needed to be replaced. You said in a post TWO DAYS AGO, "Jones had almost nothing to recommend him except enough team improvement to win their last three games."

If that's all that Jones had to recommend him, then any competent AD should have fired him. In one sense, I think you don't give Jones enough credit, he also had to recommend him the fact that in 8 of the final 10 games, the team was improved over the prior 12 games. However, that begs the question, when the team showed how it could play in games like St. John's and San Diego St., why couldn't Jones get them to play decently for a 12 game stretch? They played 31 minutes of really good basketball against UW. Why couldn't the team play that level of basketball at any other time during the year, not even in the next two games they won or the Pac-12 tournament, and certainly not during any other prior game. Unlike the UW game in Seattle, when the Bears got ahead by 11 in the first half and it was more about how poorly UW was playing than how well Cal was playing, those first 31 minutes against UW at Cal were precisely about how well Cal was playing. They had it in them, why could Jones never get that quality of play out of his team all season except in those 31 minutes? How could any competent HC let a team play the way they did against USC at Haas, when it was very hard not to feel like a 6th grade CYO team had better fundamentals?

Maybe the process of terminating him was fumbled, maybe the process of replacing him was fumbled, but none of that changes what I think every observer understood -- Jones was in over his head as a HC. That may not be enough for you, but a good manager would say that is enough to cut the losses on the old decision and move ahead.

If there were two choices, several more years of basketball doom under Jones or a couple years of doom under Fox followed by mediocrity, well, I'll take the latter. I hope we do better than that with Fox, but no matter what, I don't want a coach of whom you said 2 days ago, "Jones had almost nothing to recommend him except enough team improvement to win their last three games."

Nope, that's a coach that needed to go, perhaps in a better process, perhaps replaced in a better process, but man, that's a coach that needs to go, period.
Look, don't you think you are arguing for the sake of arguing? You respond to my post by accusing me of speculating, while writing a post full of your own speculation. Speculation about what happened in the firing, why the coach was fired, what the AD did, and what I think or believe. You are another guy who reads what I write and likes to then tell me what it is that I really am saying or thinking. Never mind the actual words I write. So you are allowed to speculate and I'm not? Sure I speculated. I plead guilty. That is what many of us do on this forum. If we didn't speculate here, we'd have far fewer posts, especially in a losing season.

I said the process was fumbled. At least the way it appeared in the media it was fumbled. Hopefully the AD, if he ever has to do this again, will get out in front of the press, instead of letting the press lead him.

Sure Jones was in over his head. But you did not respond to my comments about the players. The players and recruits left to Wyking Jones by Cuonzo Martin, for both seasons of Wyking's seasons, were also in way over their heads, and that would have a deleterious effect on the Cal basketball played in those two years. The thing about team sports is that if the team plays well, the players usually get all the credit, but if they play poorly, the blame is squarely on the coach. You sound like an experienced fan, who has watched basketball for a while. So how can you ridicule Wyking Jones for having a team that played so well against Washington, and got blown out (earlier) by USC? I've got a surprise for you: Nearly all teams are like that. The Warriors, maybe the best NBA team, lost a 30 point lead in the second half to the Clippers the other day and lost that game. They went through stretches of very poor play this season. Nobody is calling for Steve Kerr to be fired. I've played for good coaches and poor coaches. With the good coaches, and good teams, we got blown out once in a while. It is the same at every level, from grade school to the pros. Amarillo Slim said it best, "Never bet on anything that eats." He was referring to betting the horses, but basketball players are no different. How does Steph Curry score in the 30s and 40s often, and then have a game where he goes one for fifteen? Stuff happens. With players and teams. Montgomery said it best of Cal last season, when he said when a team gets into a funk, a losing slump, it is so hard to shake it. He said it gets into your heads, and you start thinking "What else can go wrong." And many of the players that Jones had to play on the floor were not very good or very experienced players, so more things could go wrong than with good players, theoretically at least. So much of basketball is mental, and when you start losing and it goes on long enough, you start to think everything is going against you. Refs miss foul calls, or make bad calls against you. A good player might bounce ball off his foot, or trip on the way to a layup, or trip on the way to help on defense. An 80% free throw shooter misses two in a row to lose a game. I went to an NBA playoff game once, where Jerry West scored 45 points, and at the last second, he was fouled and had to make only one out of three free throws to tie the game, 2 of 3 to win it. He missed all three. Basketball is not all black and white, night and day. It is a lot of shades of gray.

"If you think that the firing was based on player complaints and any need to "come to a solution" to "resolve disputes,".. I never said this. It's not what I think. I was just giving a brief chronology of events as reported publicly. I think you misunderstood me here. I never said Jones was in any way fired because of a need to come to a solution, etc. Where did you read that? I wrote that I felt that if players or parents had complaints about the program, then the AD should have had a conference with Jones and the ones who had the complaints to see if they could resolve those complaints. If there was no resolution possible, then the AD could decide then whether the complaints were a firing offense, or whether they would contribute to the firing decision.

In business, as a manager I have fired employees, and as an employee, I have been fired a few times. The good manager will try and hear all sides before making a decision to fire someone. Since it all happened so quickly with Jones getting the axe, I wondered whether there had ever been a meeting as I described above. You say that it was evident that Jones was in over his head. That was speculative for most of the season, but the last three games I think we could question the speculation a bit. It could be the players were in over their heads. According to Monty, Jones was teaching the right things in practice. I think both were true. The coach had never coached before, and most of the players had never shown they could play well at P5 level before. Lee and Okoroh could play for some teams, Bradley and Sueing maybe. No decent point guard, and this season, no big man, until Vanover emerged from his cocoon in the final third of the season. So the Jones detractors will immediately say that the roster should have been made better by Jones, and he did not get enough good recruits. No new coach gets much in his first season, because he doesn't much time and the good recruits remaining are few. He got some good ones in his second class, but they were freshmen, and you can't count on freshmen to play right away. Most can't.

I wrote that the firing did not happen at a good time. No time was good. But to fire a guy just when his team had finally come together around Vanover, was a problem for the AD. There was excitement in those three wins and hope. Washington was probably not up for that game, and probably thought they could not lose to Cal. The next two games were gritty wins, but I was a little impressed by that. Maybe they had gotten the monkey off their backs. I understand that Jones still probably had to go, and don't disagree with it. Just sad that Jones failed. I think he tried hard, and finally had a little success. He had a much weaker roster in year two, and they finally had some good wins at the end. He likely built bonds with some players and some would have left if he had stayed. I would have liked to have seen Vanover become a star at Cal, and see these players progress.
SFCityBear
Big C
Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

I've eaten horse (also in France). It's somewhat different than beef; I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference. On a side note, while I was eating it (horse meat), my mind flashed on the first horse I could think of: Mr. Ed. Then, I immediately thought of John Elway. Highly doubtful I'll ever eat horse again. On the other hand, I have sometimes gone to great lengths to try and impress the French, so who knows?
SFCityBear
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal8285 said:

SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

I go to restaurants but they are mostly Chinese and Japanese, so I don't have these problems. My father was a meat eater, about a whole cow every month. I remember a time when my mother overcooked a steak, and he threw it on the floor. My mom threw the frying pan at him. And that was life in a house with an Italian father and Irish mother.

Do you know what the difference is between a Schmoe, a Schlemiel, and a Schlimazel? In a restaurant, a guy puts his foot a little out into the aisle. A waiter comes by carrying a bowl of soup. The waiter trips over the first guy's foot, and spills the soup on a third guy. The Schmoe is the guy who stuck his foot out, the Schlemiel is the waiter, and the Schlimazel is the guy who gets the soup spilled on him. Off topic, but it did have a waiter in it.

Anyway, I was in a Vietnamese restaurant the other night, and I order a bowl of pho with rare flank steak and tendons. The flank steak was red raw in color. I ate some of the noodles and vegetables, and when the meat looked cooked about medium rare, I ate it. Perfect. This way, I control how long the meat is cooked, and I don't have to depend on the kitchen.

I was thoroughly enjoying your post until you did the nasty again at the end. Just can't resist taking a shot, can you? Look, I'm not pretending. I did in fact read hundreds of posts in two years here which called for the immediate firing of Mr. Jones. I don't remember if you wrote any of them. I never pretended you had no desire for a good coach. Another guy who tells me what I think. I never accused any of you of not desiring a good coach. I'd never do that. It would be stupid. We all desire the best coach we can get. What I said was that I don't think many of you considered that if we fired Jones when we did, that any players would leave, because what many of you were saying was that the coach was entirely to blame for Cal's poor play, not the players. I also wrote that many or most fans who wanted Jones fired had not considered that the next coach could be just as bad. If I was a Cal player, after watching Fox's televised locker room speech to the players which set exactly the wrong tone for the situation at the time, IMO, I sure would have started looking at my options. We have enough players left, leaving, or decommitting, that the roster is even weaker than last season, and we have a new coach who Civil Bear and others have called "mediocre" before he has blown his first whistle in practice. Not a recipe for a winning team, not yet. Obviously you and the rest did not want this.

PS: I don't care one whit what you think about me. My girlfriend thinks I am cute, at least, and that usually makes my day.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
Big C said:

II wonder if Bob St. Clair, the 49er Hall of Fame tackle, ever went to France? He ate raw meat every day of his life, I think.
SFCityBear
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

II wonder if Bob St. Clair, the 49er Hall of Fame tackle, ever went to France? He ate raw meat every day of his life, I think.
I well recall those annual prime rib luncheons where, even as a Niner alum, he would show up and eat the current linemen under the table. Sometimes, so they say, he would arrive and bellow, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!"
Civil Bear
Big C said:

Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

I've eaten horse (also in France). It's somewhat different than beef; I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference. On a side note, while I was eating it (horse meat), my mind flashed on the first horse I could think of: Mr. Ed. Then, I immediately thought of John Elway. Highly doubtful I'll ever eat horse again. On the other hand, I have sometimes gone to great lengths to try and impress the French, so who knows?

Ha!
parentswerebears
This thread is so far off topic that I don't even know were I am anymore...
Big C
The title of the thread is certainly relevant, but the way it was headed, going off topic might be an improvement.
Cal8285
SFCityBear said:

. . . I said the process was fumbled. At least the way it appeared in the media it was fumbled. Hopefully the AD, if he ever has to do this again, will get out in front of the press, instead of letting the press lead him. . . .

. . . Sure Jones was in over his head. . . .

. . . In business, as a manager I have fired employees, and as an employee, I have been fired a few times. The good manager will try and hear all sides before making a decision to fire someone. . . .

. . .I understand that Jones still probably had to go, and don't disagree with it. Just sad that Jones failed. I think he tried hard, and finally had a little success. . . .
The difference between my speculation and yours is that I'm willing to be open to all speculation, you want to just focus on the wild speculation that leads you to conclude the process was fumbled. I think you decided it looked fumbled based on how SOME media reported unconfirmed things, again, just speculation. It is hard to control what SOME media will say. Yet you ignore what a competent AD might have been doing in a situation where the funds to terminate the HC weren't yet established, in which case, what the AD was saying to people and causing erroneous speculation in the media was exactly how he should have handled the process.

Yep, it is all speculation. I said the process of termination might have been fumbled. But it might not have been. I DON"T KNOW, and it is unfair to reach a conclusion based on ridiculous speculation. You want to reach a conclusion based on ridiculous speculation. You're the only one speculating here, because I'm open to all possibilities, and you just want to speculate that things went wrong.

You really do seem to have an inner battle about Jones. You agree Jones was in over his head. But then you start into stuff like "the good manager will try and hear all sides before making a decision to fire someone." Uh, no. when an employee is clearly in over his head and not capable of doing the job, the manager is an idiot if he needs to "try and hear all sides before making a decision to fire someone." That is a BAD manager.

And then you say he probably had to go. Ok, NOW we agree. It is sad he failed. We agree. He tried hard and had a little success with the 3 game winning streak. We agree. I've had to be part of firing people who I liked, who tried hard, but were incompetent at their jobs, when I was sad they failed. It happens.

But get over it. So much of you recognizes that Jones was incompetent, over his head, and at least "probably" had to go. Have some faith the right decision was made. We agree Jones was in over his head, he probably needed to go, he did go, and it was sad. So why do you want to have a split personality and be disagreeable?

Now, let's all root for Fox, who will likely try hard, and won't be in over his head. He may stink and need to be fired someday, if so, we should be able to agree both that he probably needed to go and it was sad.

philbert
parentswerebears said:

This thread is so far off topic that I don't even know were I am anymore...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.