When will we hear something about transfers and recruits

10,813 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by philbert
bearchamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Women's board is already reporting some transfers. When will we learn something about the progress on the Men's side? Coach Fox, please tell us something.
oskidunker
So far no school seems interested, if the portal is up to date.
Go Bears!
bearchamp
No school seems interested? What about players we seek?
BeachedBear
oskidunker said:

So far no school seems interested, if the portal is up to date.
I thought only school administrators can access the portal. Did not believe it was a public access thing. Wow.
JimSox
What's the deadline on all this? When will we know for sure who's coming, who's going, who's staying?
HoopDreams
I'm sure plenty of schools are interested in our players

roqmoq
BeachedBear said:

I thought only school administrators can access the portal. Did not believe it was a public access thing. Wow.
Try this link:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/TransferPortal/
BeachedBear
roqmoq said:

BeachedBear said:

Try this link:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/TransferPortal/
That's 247 sports. Media entity That's not THE Portal. try this link...

https://sso.ncaa.org/login?service=https%3A//web1.ncaa.org/saTransfer/login/cas

parentswerebears
I keep waiting for the first transfer in to be announced. Grad big would be preferred...
bearister
bearchamp said:

No school seems interested? What about players we seek?

I heard there is a lottery system for programs interested in poaching players from a team that dropped 16 games like they were dominos.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
stu
bearister said:

I heard there is a lottery system for programs interested in poaching players from a team that dropped 16 games like they were dominos.
How about a lottery system for poaching players TO a team that dropped 16 games like they were dominoes?
bearister
stu said:

bearister said:

How about a lottery system for poaching players TO a team that dropped 16 games like they were dominoes?

...I'm sticking with the spelling of the plural used by my favorite band.

stu
bearister said:

I preferred Clapton with Mayall and Cream. But then I'm an old fart. And I'm merely honoring Dan Quale with the unnecessary "e".
bearister
stu said:

bearister said:

I preferred Clapton with Mayall and Cream. But then I'm an old fart. And I'm merely honoring Dan Quale with the unnecessary "e".

I saw him at the The Cow Palace in 1974 when he went on tour to support his 461 Ocean Boulevard album. He was off heroin. The show was weak sauce. He was much better when he was tying and spiking.

...and my favorite Mayall lead guitarist:

bluesaxe
bearister said:

stu said:

bearister said:

I saw him at the The Cow Palace in 1974 when he went on tour to support his 461 Ocean Boulevard album. He was off heroin. The show was weak sauce. He was much better when he was tying and spiking.

I was at that show. I saw him a couple of other times, both of which were better, but the first was cool because I was right at the stage in front of him and got this really good photo that still hangs in my office.
oskidunker
My guess is Mid May.
Go Bears!
stu
bearister said:

Mayall certainly found a lot of good ones. But listen to this:

Stormy Monday
calgo430
i want to save the 3 recruits brown, thorpe, and smith. a good transfer shooter/scorer would be a plus. you can never have enough of them.
parentswerebears
Smith isn't coming.
stu
Quote:

a good transfer shooter/scorer would be a plus. you can never have enough of them.
With McNeill, Smith, and possibly Vanover gone we'll have very few shooters. Like one, Bradley. Probably a little late to find an uncommitted HS player who is a great shooter. I wonder if Jemarl Baker would be interested in Cal this time around?
bearchamp
Is Smith definitely not coming, or is he looking around?
Big C
parentswerebears said:

Smith isn't coming.
Well, he reopened his recruiting and the speculation is that he has probably crossed us off his list. Too bad because, with McNeill gone, he was going to have a great chance to contribute right away.
Big C
stu said:

Quote:

a good transfer shooter/scorer would be a plus. you can never have enough of them.
With McNeill, Smith, and possibly Vanover gone we'll have very few shooters. Like one, Bradley. Probably a little late to find an uncommitted HS player who is a great shooter. I wonder if Jemarl Baker would be interested in Cal this time around?
Yeah, now we might be back to shooting like two years ago.

A real "X factor" might be Jacobi Gordon, if it turns out that a lot of his struggles were related to that injury and he's able to get past it. If Vanover stays and Gordon blossoms, add in Bradly and we'd be okay (shooting wise).

I'm thinking the staff is combing the land for a grad transfer big and a grad transfer shooter. Would settle for any sort of transfer, an intl. player or a plain-old freshman.
HoopDreams
Big C said:

stu said:

Quote:

A real "X factor" might be Jacobi Gordon, if it turns out that a lot of his struggles were related to that injury and he's able to get past it. If Vanover stays and Gordon blossoms, add in Bradly and we'd be okay (shooting wise).

I'm thinking the staff is combing the land for a grad transfer big and a grad transfer shooter. Would settle for any sort of transfer, an intl. player or a plain-old freshman.
Jacobi gave a signal that he's sticking.
He's another player that I've liked. He has a nice 3 point shot (great form). We will need his shooting after losing McNeil. He also can play some 4 in a pinch as he's strong and has some size. What I saw was a player who didn't have his natural explosiveness due to the injury, but two years should make a big difference in his recovery.

I think we will see the real Jacobi Gordon for the first time this coming season
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Quote:

He's another player that I've liked. He has a nice 3 point shot (great form). We will need his shooting after losing McNeil. He also can play some 4 in a pinch as he's strong and has some size. What I saw was a player who didn't have his natural explosiveness due to the injury, but two years should make a big difference in his recovery.

I think we will see the real Jacobi Gordon for the first time this coming season
I hope you're right and it's quite possible. However, there were times last season when I was thinking it might be more than the injury, i.e. he might just not be all that good. I believe this was also alluded to by BearGreg and EricBear, right after the season.

But it's really hard to tell and he certainly, with the injury, gets a longer look to show what he can do. I'm really pulling for him!
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Quote:

I hope you're right and it's quite possible. However, there were times last season when I was thinking it might be more than the injury, i.e. he might just not be all that good. I believe this was also alluded to by BearGreg and EricBear, right after the season.

But it's really hard to tell and he certainly gets a longer shot to show what he can do. I'm really pulling for him!
Show me some highlights of him before his injury where he was balling and maybe we'll all feel better. I still don't know what his game is. Well here he is in fall 2017. That's a lot of explosiveness we didn't see at Cal. Hope it comes back!

helltopay1
without a variety of shooters, you have two chances of winning....slim and none, and slim just left the building. let's not sugarcoat things...
KoreAmBear
helltopay1 said:

without a variety of shooters, you have two chances of winning....slim and none, and slim just left the building. let's not sugarcoat things...
Slim is Vanover,

joe amos yaks
There is Kendrick Nunn . . .
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Yogi58
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Quote:

But it's really hard to tell and he certainly gets a longer shot to show what he can do. I'm really pulling for him!
Show me some highlights of him before his injury where he was balling and maybe we'll all feel better. I still don't know what his game is. Well here he is in fall 2017. That's a lot of explosiveness we didn't see at Cal. Hope it comes back!

I hope he has better highlights than those.
concordtom
parentswerebears said:

I keep waiting for the first transfer in to be announced. Grad big would be preferred...
Zion Williamson would be even better.
Or Jason Kidd.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Or Jason Kidd.
That would make Cal more entertaining, and fill the seats. But neither Williamson's or Kidd's teams ever won any conference or NCAA championships. Which one floats your boat, a hot recruit or a championship?
SFCityBear
parentswerebears
SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Or Jason Kidd.
That would make Cal more entertaining, and fill the seats. But neither Williamson's or Kidd's teams ever won any conference or NCAA championships. Which one floats your boat, a hot recruit or a championship?

Good basketball
tsubamoto2001
SFCB,

Zion and Kidd were otherworldly college players. One is a Hall of Famer and Zion is likely headed for a HOF NBA career (not an outlandish thing to say, IMO).

He was the main reason Duke was a National Title contender this season and the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. Zion led the NCAA in Box Score Plus-Minus. He was 2nd in Win Shares and WS per 40 minutes. No player had a greater impact on winning basketball than he did this past season.

Duke was way worse without Zion. They beat Virginia twice and that probably doesn't happen without Zion. UVa would have likely gone undefeated in the regular season had Duke not had Zion. Duke went 3-3 without Zion (he played 1 minute in the first UNC game, where his shoe exploded and he hurt his knee). They went 29-3 with Zion. The other 3 games they lost with Zion? A 2-point loss to Gonzaga early in the season, an OT loss to Syracuse, and a 1-point loss to Michigan State in the Elite 8. Had they not had Zion or replaced him with a similar player (a tough task), they probably have 10+ losses.

And the Kidd years for Cal brought the first 2 consecutive seasons of single-digit losses (21-9, 22-8) since the Newell Era. But who would want that, right? And since then Cal has only had single-digit loss seasons 3 times in 25 seasons.

Point is, both Kidd and Zion made their teams much better, and did not simply "entertain" or "fill the seats".

SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Or Jason Kidd.
SFCityBear
tsubamoto2001 said:

SFCB,

Zion and Kidd were otherworldly college players. One is a Hall of Famer and Zion is likely headed for a HOF NBA career (not an outlandish thing to say, IMO).

He was the main reason Duke was a National Title contender this season and the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. Zion led the NCAA in Box Score Plus-Minus. He was 2nd in Win Shares and WS per 40 minutes. No player had a greater impact on winning basketball than he did this past season.

Duke was way worse without Zion. They beat Virginia twice and that probably doesn't happen without Zion. UVa would have likely gone undefeated in the regular season had Duke not had Zion. Duke went 3-3 without Zion (he played 1 minute in the first UNC game, where his shoe exploded and he hurt his knee). They went 29-3 with Zion. The other 3 games they lost with Zion? A 2-point loss to Gonzaga early in the season, an OT loss to Syracuse, and a 1-point loss to Michigan State in the Elite 8. Had they not had Zion or replaced him with a similar player (a tough task), they probably have 10+ losses.

And the Kidd years for Cal brought the first 2 consecutive seasons of single-digit losses (21-9, 22-8) since the Newell Era. But who would want that, right? And since then Cal has only had single-digit loss seasons 3 times in 25 seasons.

Point is, both Kidd and Zion made their teams much better, and did not simply "entertain" or "fill the seats".

SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Or Jason Kidd.

Thanks for all the information, and you are spot on with your conclusions.

However, I was writing my post in response to the topic raised by Parentswerebears that he hoped for Cal to bring in a grad transfer big, and Concord Tom replied that he thought a Zion Williamson or Kidd would be better. So I wrote it in terms of what Cal needs now. There is no doubt that Zion or Jason would improve this wreck of a team called Cal, but only for one year. Jason would improve it more than Zion, IMO, because he would get all five players involved by setting them up for easy open shots, and he would lead the defense, and get them all to play better. Zion is more of an individual star, but the team would be better.

Also, remember that both Zion and Jason did not joint teams at Duke and at Cal which had the deficient roster that Cal has right now. Both of them joined rosters which were already above average. The rosters that they joined were night and day different than Cal's roster at the moment. If Cal wants to go forward this year, a grad big would be desirable. We have no wings other than Bradley, so even a Grant Mullins type would help this roster. If we don't get Vanover back, then a grad transfer big would be good. I would like to see a good grad transfer PG like Arizona's Mark Lyons would help a lot. In any case, it should be a player who does not become the star of the team and then leave in a year, leaving us right back where we were. Jason Kidd would be better than a Zion, because he could teach the rest of the players and maybe the coach how to play winning basketball, all IMHO.
SFCityBear
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.