Kuany Kuany welcome to Berkeley Berkeley

14,702 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

oskidunker said:

Have we ever signed a two star or a one star?
I think total unknowns get 2 stars. I don't ever remember seeing only 1 star. Sort of like grade inflation.

We've signed plenty of players rated 2 stars by at least one service.

Total unknowns get no stars.
SFCityBear
stu
helltopay1 said:

with only two perimeter shooters, I don't seeCal winning one pac-12 game next year.
I'm expecting our offense to struggle, or worse. But our defense could improve enough to get us a few wins. Anyway it's not easy to lose 18 out of 18 - even if we have only a 10% chance of winning each game we would have an 85% chance of winning at least 1 of 18.
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

stu said:

247 has an article quoting Kuany: "I'm going to California" "I feel like I fit in there and Mark Fox is a really good coach."

Wait... Wut... Better than Smith?

Ha. "I fit in there" = Berkeley over the Palouse every day AND "Fox is a really good coach." He did not say "better"

Sometimes you sound like my kids. One is two years old and the other is two months old.

Go Bears! Go Fox!
SFCityBear
Yogi Bear said:

Civil Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskirules said:

Bak Bak part deux?

And don't forget Bak Bak once had back to back buckets.

From the video I've seen, he's better than Bak Bak. He's obviously still pretty raw but he moves better than Bak, is obviously a little taller/longer and shows signs of a jumper that Bak never had. Tough to tell for sure with the small amount of available video, but I think he'll show more than Bak.
You must have missed Bak Bak's HS tape showing him draining threes and taking it to the rack. One source said he was Kevin Garnett with a jump shot.
Yeah. I think we got all the jumpers he ever made on that highlight film.
You guys just love to rag on a Cal player who didn't live up to your expectations or dreams. I wish you all would cut it out. Maybe you saw him as a freshman, slow, couldn't jump, no basketball skills, and so you tuned him out the next 3 years. You missed the nice little 10 foot jumper from the left baseline that he developed. Of course it was Montgomery who created that open shot for him, and he made it most of the time. He scored 82 points, and got 81 rebounds as a soph. Had career shooting percentage of 46% and 70% on FTs. He was only in the game for an average of 7 minutes. And I guess you missed his performance up in the Palouse, when Monty put him in the game late in the first half, with Cal getting whipped. Brock Moton, WSU's candidate for POY, was shredding the Cal defense, inside and out. Monty had tried almost every player he had to guard him, and he torched all of them. Then Bak guarded him, and shut him down so much, that it was game over, and Cal came back to win. And nobody ever mentioned Brock Moton for Player of the Year after that. I was mildly amazed at what good coaching and a player's desire to improve can do. And what we have now is loyal Cal fans ridiculing a Cal player. We ridicule most of the players at the end of the bench, no matter what they do at Cal. I guess all you guys were star players. I sat on the end of that bench, in an earlier era where fans would cheer when a scrub got into a game for his one or two minutes and a chance for glory. I can't laugh at Bak Bak. No, not at all.
SFCityBear
calumnus
stu said:

helltopay1 said:

with only two perimeter shooters, I don't seeCal winning one pac-12 game next year.
I'm expecting our offense to struggle, or worse. But our defense could improve enough to get us a few wins. Anyway it's not easy to lose 18 out of 18 - even if we have only a 10% chance of winning each game we would have an 85% chance of winning at least 1 of 18.

Yes, exactly, 85% chance of winning AT LEAST one.

Go Bears! Go Fox!
smokeyrover
The Kuany Kuany Story w/ Helping Hoops

https://hoopbrothers.com/kuany-kuany-basketball-helped-me-overcome-the-fact-that-nothing-will-be-given-to-you-in-life/

Quote:

It was not until 2010 when he started to play basketball, but at this time he was still on and off. Finally, in 2014 he decided to take it seriously and this is when he realized the game is really meaningful to him.
http://icmplay.com/summer-hoops-festival/
Quote:

...spectators came away impressed with Kuany Kuany, the high-motor wing forward who fought through the second half with a turned ankle. Before the injury he was all over the place making plays, and being vocal. After the injury, though noticeably hobbled, he went inside to bang for rebounds, defended on the perimeter, and set teammates up for better shots.

High quality individual. Will enjoy watching Kuany's development. That game report above was among the few mentions of him from last summer. I had read a post somewhere that he was in Australia for most of the summer and missed most AAU tournaments.

Had reported offers from Georgia, TCU, Kansas St, and Florida St.
Northside91
parentswerebears said:

bearchamp said:

Maybe posters here will give Coach Fox some respect now?
Bring Sueing and Vanover back in the fold and get a grad transfer, then let's talk.

Like they're game changers. Only fans of a program swirling in the bowl would be pining for those two. Sueing could have all the talent in the world (he doesn't, btw), but a new coach trying to resurrect a dead program wouldn't want any part of that expression and bad body language.

Fox needs to assemble a tough team with a positive identity. I can see Matt Bradley being the cornerstone of that team. Justice Sueing? Sorry, I don't see the fit.
oskidunker
Northside91 said:

parentswerebears said:

bearchamp said:

Bring Sueing and Vanover back in the fold and get a grad transfer, then let's talk.

Like they're game changers. Only fans of a program swirling in the bowl would be pining for those two. Sueing could have all the talent in the world (he doesn't, btw), but a new coach trying to resurrect a dead program wouldn't want any part of that expression and bad body language.

Fox needs to assemble a tough team with a positive identity. I can see Matt Bradley being the cornerstone of that team. Justice Sueing? Sorry, I don't see the fit.
Exactly .
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
That's fine. I get that. But who is playing next year?
calumnus
oskidunker said:

Northside91 said:

parentswerebears said:

bearchamp said:

Exactly .

Fox was a pretty good recruiter at Georgia, regularly landing the best 4 and 5 star talent, McD and Parade AAs out of Atlanta. Future pros, even SEC POY and first round draft pick. His recruiting classes were often in the top half of the SEC, even if his record wasn't. And all we are to understand as the only guy not offering cash. I've compared him to Braun before, and I think there is some merit to that comparison.

Go Bears! Go Fox!

calumnus
parentswerebears said:

Generally, his pattern is, whoever plays the toughest man defense. May be some surprises.
parentswerebears
calumnus said:

parentswerebears said:

Generally, his pattern is, whoever plays the toughest man defense. May be some surprises.

I get that. But there are 9 guys on the roster right now. Barely enough to field a team. That's one less than last year. And we are even younger. It's going to be another LOOOOONG year if no grad transfer is added. Ugh.
HoopDreams
nice pickup
welcome Kuany

calumnus
Welcome Kuany!
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

Civil Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskirules said:

Bak Bak part deux?

From the video I've seen, he's better than Bak Bak. He's obviously still pretty raw but he moves better than Bak, is obviously a little taller/longer and shows signs of a jumper that Bak never had. Tough to tell for sure with the small amount of available video, but I think he'll show more than Bak.
You must have missed Bak Bak's HS tape showing him draining threes and taking it to the rack. One source said he was Kevin Garnett with a jump shot.
You guys just love to rag on a Cal player who didn't live up to your expectations or dreams. I wish you all would cut it out. Maybe you saw him as a freshman, slow, couldn't jump, no basketball skills...
And you just love to make accusations based on what you think you know. I hope you understand what a hypocrite that makes you, considering all the times you've whined about other posters supposedly putting words in your mouth.
SFCityBear
Northside91 said:

parentswerebears said:

bearchamp said:

Agreed. Of the two, though, I'd take Vanover back. Height, wingspan, fast learner, with more upside. And attitude: wants to win and wants the ball. Needs beef and D for openers. Then a post game. I hope he is just testing the waters.
SFCityBear
Beardog26
This. The guy is both a hypocrite and overly sensitive. Too bad, because he has some good things to say as well.
Yogi58
Northside91 said:

parentswerebears said:

bearchamp said:

Sueing is a big meh for me too. Vanover I could see becoming something with some real coaching. There aren't many 7'3" guys who can shoot like him.
Yogi58
SFCityBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

Civil Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskirules said:

Bak Bak part deux?

You guys just love to rag on a Cal player who didn't live up to your expectations or dreams. I wish you all would cut it out.
I wish one day you would follow through on your many threats to leave the board. Your holier than thou act is beyond old.
calumnus
parentswerebears said:

calumnus said:

parentswerebears said:

I get that. But there are 9 guys on the roster right now. Barely enough to field a team. That's one less than last year. And we are even younger. It's going to be another LOOOOONG year if no grad transfer is added. Ugh.

If I were given two small (realm of possibility) wishes: Vanover comes back and Jules Erving develops a good 3 pt shot and earns significant PT (and gives our team a little much needed hype).
helltopay1
Just got a peek at his birth certificate via wikipedia. He's 43 years old. Should be a calming influence on the other kids. Prospect #172??Sister John of the Cross of the Little Sisters of the Poor is ranked #156. Fox recruited her, but she settled for the Lower Tennessee Transgender team. So---he recruited Kuany as a fallback option.
Northside91
helltopay1 said:

Just got a peek at his birth certificate via wikipedia. He's 43 years old. Should be a calming influence on the other kids. Prospect #172??Sister John of the Cross of the Little Sisters of the Poor is ranked #156. Fox recruited her, but she settled for the Lower Tennessee Transgender team. So---he recruited Kuany as a fallback option.

Maybe you can start a petition and get Jones back. That might tick a box or two for you and some other people here. Jones' presence never did and never would have anything to do with building a competitive basketball team at Cal, but maybe him being here would make you feel better about yourself in some perverse way. Good enough for me.
caltagjohnson
Be sure to issue him a set of weights to put around his waist. He will need them on windy days.
calfanz
Many of you same folks were so down on Conor when he came onboard. Now, you are crying that he may not stick around.

Hopefully, another solid late find with a high ceiling. Time will tell. in the meantime please STFU if you can't say something positive about KK.
parentswerebears
I'm definitely excited to have him on board! I hope he's not the only piece added this spring.
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

Civil Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Have we ever signed a two star or a one star? What was McCullough or Winston?
Jorge
He was unranked. After Montgomery signed him, he received a ranking.

Nope
BearlyCareAnymore
Yogi Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

Civil Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

oskirules said:

Bak Bak part deux?

You guys just love to rag on a Cal player who didn't live up to your expectations or dreams. I wish you all would cut it out.
I wish one day you would follow through on your many threats to leave the board. Your holier than thou act is beyond old.

Tyrone Wallace would probably have a retort for SFCity if he had ever cared enough to read the nonstop criticism of him that SF doled out.
bearchamp
Gee, is that supposed to be humor?
SFCityBear
parentswerebears said:

calumnus said:

parentswerebears said:

If the grad transfer is like Mark Lyons or Grant Mullins, then fine. If he is another Dwight Tarwater, he won't likely make much of a difference. It is sad that there are so few good players coming out of high school today, and so many more colleges trying to land the best ones. Get off the couch and off your phones, kids, and go play some hoops!
SFCityBear
helltopay1
If you find it funny, it is. if you don't find it funny, it isn't. see how simple that was. My main point still stands. If you don't have a variety of perimeter shooters, you're a candidate for CYO ball rather than the pac-12. At least in CYO ball, they have "mercy rules." Every player on your team has to play at least one quarter, and, you cannot press if you are ahead by at least 10 points. Rest assured Cals' opponents will not be applying any "mercy rules" when playing against Cal. The future of Cal basketball will be determined with the recruiting class this fall. We will need at least three more perimeter shooters to complement the two on the team. Wake me when that happens.
FloriDreaming
helltopay1 said:

We had five: But then, Vanover, Sueing and MacNeil all transferred. Do the math. Three is one more than two. with only two perimeter shooters, I don't seeCal winning one pac-12 game next year.
The "talent" Cal had last season netted a whopping 3 Pac-12 wins. As far as I'm concerned any "losses" in current "talent" just means more scholarships available to better players down the road. Nobody can convince me Cal had any meaningful talent to lose in the first place - the past two years have been entire teams of deadwood. The fact that some of that deadwood was comparatively better than other deadwood is irrelevant - the "best" player on that team wouldn't see the floor for an average Pac 12 team, and might not see the floor at a program like USF.

Hey, maybe Fox would magically "coach up" these players into a powerhouse team. But more likely than not, the best long-term move would be to replace every one of those players, the sooner the better.

I know that sounds harsh and it is. But the results speak for themselves - that is not Pac 12 talent.
SFCityBear
Uthaithani said:

helltopay1 said:

We had five: But then, Vanover, Sueing and MacNeil all transferred. Do the math. Three is one more than two. with only two perimeter shooters, I don't seeCal winning one pac-12 game next year.
The "talent" Cal had last season netted a whopping 3 Pac-12 wins. As far as I'm concerned any "losses" in current "talent" just means more scholarships available to better players down the road. Nobody can convince me Cal had any meaningful talent to lose in the first place - the past two years have been entire teams of deadwood. The fact that some of that deadwood was comparatively better than other deadwood is irrelevant - the "best" player on that team wouldn't see the floor for an average Pac 12 team, and might not see the floor at a program like USF.

Hey, maybe Fox would magically "coach up" these players into a powerhouse team. But more likely than not, the best long-term move would be to replace every one of those players, the sooner the better.

I know that sounds harsh and it is. But the results speak for themselves - that is not Pac 12 talent.
Wait a minute. I thought the coach was the problem, and all we needed to do was get rid of him.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Bradley could play anywhere
Go Bears!
concernedparent
Uthaithani said:

helltopay1 said:

Astoundingly bad take. If these players are so bad, why are other p5 teams recruiting them?

A coach coming in and coaching players up to competency obviously has never happened in the history of sports either. That 2001 football team that won 1 game must not have any talent when they went 7-5 the next year with the same guys.
SFCityBear
concernedparent said:

Uthaithani said:

helltopay1 said:

Astoundingly bad take. If these players are so bad, why are other p5 teams recruiting them?

A coach coming in and coaching players up to competency obviously has never happened in the history of sports either. That 2001 football team that won 1 game must not have any talent when they went 7-5 the next year with the same guys.
Who are the players on last year's roster who are or were recruited by other P5 teams? I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd just like to know.
SFCityBear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.