Jorge-Pasternack incident video

6,279 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HoopDreams
LessMilesMoreTedford
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone posted it on CGB:

Big C
It's not clear to me exactly what is occurring. He could be just geekily reacting in surprise. The dorky look on his face is classic, though.

It was also reported that players heard him (or read his lips) dropping the f-bomb? Was that after Jorge approached him?
Adrian The Cal Bear
According to friends at the game, he kicked him (it was clear from the Bench angle) and said "F**K YOU" to Jorge.
OldBlue1999
At first I thought Jorge fell onto Pasternak, but after watching a bunch of times it seems like Jorge falls into an empty seat.

What's clear is that Pasternak is to Jorge's left (since he's falling backwards; toward the right side of the screen from the camera's vantage point) as he starts to fall. So if he fell on anyone it wasn't Pasternak. As Jorge lands Pasternak appears to kick at him with the heel of his left foot while he pulls his arm clear. Maybe he had is arm draped over the backrest of the chair Jorge fell into since it was probably empty? Not clear if the kick connected, but if it did I can see why Jorge reacted.

IMHO it's pretty bush league to kick at a guy while he's falling no matter what, but particularly so if he's not only not falling onto you but into an empty chair to boot.

Is there any video of what lead up to the double foul?
south bender
If there were no video or eye witnesses to support Jorge, I would still be in his corner in an instance like this.

He does not go looking for fights. But if someone wrongs him, he will not turn the other cheek.
KoreAmBear
I think it's reflexive movement on the part of Joe P., then the Braunesque cringe, and then a heat of the moment F-him as he is walking away. It's not a big deal to me at this point. And he's Roxy Bernstein's bro-in-law and Roxy was claiming on Twitter that Joe would never kick anyone intentionally.
cal2000
Adrian The Cal Bear;703743 said:

According to friends at the game, he kicked him (it was clear from the Bench angle) and said "F**K YOU" to Jorge.

This pretty much describes what I witnessed from where I was sitting. I can't speak for what was said to Jorge though.
bearister
Asst. Coach Joe P. was acting with the full force and authority conferred on him by noted Latino civil rights activist Gov. Jan Brewer.
calumnus

I draw your attention to Jorge's shorts--look at how they get stretched--with Pasternack's shoe inside! Pasternack then kicks to try to free his shoe from Jorge's shorts!

How did Pasternack's shoe end up in Jorge's shorts in the first place?
goldenbear2005
He's now claiming that he reacted to Jorge's fall by extending his foot and that this is all a big misunderstanding. A bunch of BULL. Even before the incident he'd caught my attention on the bench because he was screaming and cursing. Pretty obvious that he was ready to explode. And if in fact he reacted to the fall by extended his foot - he should've immediately apologized. You know, you bump someone and you turn around and say "excuse me" or "sorry about that" however, his reaction was caught on camera and he said "f-him" speaking of Jorge. I can't believe he was on our staff. What kind of a coach kicks a student athlete during a ball game? Answer: a coward and a piece of garbage that should be fired. Shame on him. If he was on our staff and kicked a kid from (fill-in the name of ANY University here) I'd want his @ss gone. I can take a loss or a struggling program (well not really but, you know what I mean) but I don't want anyone on our staff who brings shame to our university. This sort of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.

Some of you may say I'm overreacting, which I understand, but, since we all know that UA wants to sweep this under the mat, shouldn't the NCAA look into this? Regardless of whether someone was harmed, coaches have been fired or had to resign for less serious circumstances? At the minimum he should receive some punishment (suspended for a game or two, forced to resign or fired), what do y'all think?
manus
Obvious to me. Saw the video clip (=again) in today's game vs. ASU: plain as day. League should sanction Pasternack.

:nono:
ddc_Cal
Naw, even a head coach like, say, Woody Hayes, would never get fired for something like that.

goldenbear2005;704335 said:

He's now claiming that he reacted to Jorge's fall by extending his foot and that this is all a big misunderstanding. A bunch of BULL. Even before the incident he'd caught my attention on the bench because he was screaming and cursing. Pretty obvious that he was ready to explode. And if in fact he reacted to the fall by extended his foot - he should've immediately apologized. You know, you bump someone and you turn around and say "excuse me" or "sorry about that" however, his reaction was caught on camera and he said "f-him" speaking of Jorge. I can't believe he was on our staff. What kind of a coach kicks a student athlete during a ball game? Answer: a coward and a piece of garbage that should be fired. Shame on him. If he was on our staff and kicked a kid from (fill-in the name of ANY University here) I'd want his @ss gone. I can take a loss or a struggling program (well not really but, you know what I mean) but I don't want anyone on our staff who brings shame to our university. This sort of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.

Some of you may say I'm overreacting, which I understand, but, since we all know that UA wants to sweep this under the mat, shouldn't the NCAA look into this? Regardless of whether someone was harmed, coaches have been fired or had to resign for less serious circumstances? At the minimum he should some punishment (suspended for a game or two, forced to resign or fired), what do y'all think?
calumnus
ddc_Cal;704362 said:

Naw, even a head coach like, say, Woody Hayes, would never get fired for something like that.

Even a HC would never get fired? It is the opposite. The higher up you go, the more your behavior will be excused. Look at Penn State. Guys like Pasternack are expendable, there are 50 guys waiting to take his place on teh Arizona staff.
annarborbear
KoreAmBear;703763 said:

I think it's rflexive movement on the part of Joe P., then the Braunesque cringe, and then a heat of the moment F-him as he is walking away. It's not a big deal to me at this point. And he's Roxy Bernstein's bro-in-law and Roxy was claiming on Twitter that Joe would never kick anyone intentionally.

Whole thing could have been avoided by UA not letting coaches wearing dresses sit on the bench.
ddc_Cal
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

Woody Hayes got fired for hitting an opposing player after an interception. He hit him with his fist in the shoulder pad. I don't remember for sure, but the player didn't get mad, he was just kind of dumfounded.
Holmoephobic
calumnus;704391 said:

Even a HC would never get fired? It is the opposite. The higher up you go, the more your behavior will be excused. Look at Penn State. Guys like Pasternack are expendable, there are 50 guys waiting to take his place on teh Arizona staff.

Noob.
CalEnviroLaw
Looking back, forgive and forget, it seems.
PtownBear1
Watching that grainy video over a few times and reading the comments on here with people taking it so seriously it totally reminds me of the Keith Hernandez loogie.
Cal88
CalEnviroLaw;842822059 said:

Looking back, forgive and forget, it seems.

That kind of incident, as small and fleeting it can be, tells you a lot about the character of the man.

He's not Cal material.
oskidunker
Psy no attention to the man behind the screen
Fyght4Cal
Cal88;842822412 said:

That kind of incident, as small and fleeting it can be, tells you a lot about the character of the man.

He's not Cal material.
You are absolutely right. I would hope he's grown up since then. But the lack of according aknowledgement and apology says otherwise. He's out.
Billy Bob
cal88;842822412 said:

that kind of incident, as small and fleeting it can be, tells you a lot about the character of the man.

He's not cal material.

lol
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;WV9J5VZylmo][/video]
MSaviolives
Fyght4Cal;842822527 said:

You are absolutely right. I would hope he's grown up since then. But the lack of according aknowledgement and apology says otherwise. He's out.

I visualize hiring Pasternack, and before tip off of the first game there is a ceremony. The fans are asked for silence to allow a sacred ceremony to take place. The lights are turned out, and then a spot light shines on center court, revealing Pasternack and...Jorge. Pasernack, holding a mic, says:

"Jorge, a few years ago during a game at Arizona I kicked you when you went out of bounds by our bench. I want you to know how sorry I am that I did that. There is no excuse for inexcusable behavior. I have reflected on that moment for all of the years after it occurred, and I am ashamed. I have taken anger management courses, and as a result of that therapy now realize that I learned some really awful behaviors during my time with Bobby Knight. I can assure you, and the rest of the Bear family, that I have made profound changes in my life so that such abhorrent behavior will never be repeated. So now, as witnessed by the Bear family and the rest of the world, I apologize for kicking you--from the bottom of my heart."

Jorge: "I forgive you"

Audience: [Applause and many wiping their eyes at this poignant scene]

[Cue some sage burning or whatever the heck new age people do in healing ceremonies]
ducky23
MSaviolives;842822719 said:

I visualize hiring Pasternack, and before tip off of the first game there is a ceremony. The fans are asked for silence to allow a sacred ceremony to take place. The lights are turned out, and then a spot light shines on center court, revealing Pasternack and...Jorge. Pasernack, holding a mic, says:

"Jorge, a few years ago during a game at Arizona I kicked you when you went out of bounds by our bench. I want you to know how sorry I am that I did that. There is no excuse for inexcusable behavior. I have reflected on that moment for all of the years after it occurred, and I am ashamed. I have taken anger management courses, and as a result of that therapy now realize that I learned some really awful behaviors during my time with Bobby Knight. I can assure you, and the rest of the Bear family, that I have made profound changes in my life so that such abhorrent behavior will never be repeated. So now, as witnessed by the Bear family and the rest of the world, I apologize for kicking you--from the bottom of my heart."

[Cue some sage burning or whatever the heck new age people do in healing ceremonies]

He'd also have to add

"I hated all my time at Arizona. Every single second. Their fans were insufferable and Coach Miller kept eating all my food. Literally the only thing good to come out of Arizona basketball are Steve Kerr and Tom Tolbert. Besides that, Tuscon is a $hithole. Thank you for saving me from that god awful place."

Then and only then would I consider taking him back.
HoopDreams
Well he should have at least apologized to Jorge at the time. He clearly had the opportunity but instead made an excuse

MSaviolives;842822719 said:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.