Where is Logan Alters?

7,428 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

"I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble.

Sorry KAB, we were in trouble w those guys. One of Braun's faults was his usage of walk-onsrfk notwithstanding. AJ Diggs era was cringeworthy.
Eh maybe AJ Diggs had too much PT, but Connor and Pribble weren't exactly featured players. As supplements a healthy walkon program could help. I think the bar of 'being in trouble' has been re-framed by Wyking so maybe I need to reset my perspective.
AJ Diggs was one of our best defensive players of all-time. He had 158 steals at Cal.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

"I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble.

Sorry KAB, we were in trouble w those guys. One of Braun's faults was his usage of walk-onsrfk notwithstanding. AJ Diggs era was cringeworthy.
Eh maybe AJ Diggs had too much PT, but Connor and Pribble weren't exactly featured players. As supplements a healthy walkon program could help. I think the bar of 'being in trouble' has been re-framed by Wyking so maybe I need to reset my perspective.
Nice way of putting it. This gave me a good laugh for today. Poor Wyking. I wonder if he will ever tell his side of the story.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?
Go Bears!
Big C
Fyght4Cal said:

KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

AJ Diggs was one of our best defensive players of all-time. He had 158 steals at Cal.
Yeah, Diggs might've been a one-dimensional player, but that one dimension... wow. I remember one time he stole the ball in the opponent's back court twice in a row and the next time, nobody on the other team wanted to take the ball up court.
superbear99
I thought Forehan Kelly became an excellent rotation player. He got awarded a schollie as i remember it
BearlyCareAnymore
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

if walk-0ns get playing time, you're in trouble.
Right, but the better the walk-ons are, the better the scrimmages and practices will be for the scholarship players. We have more depth at all positions than last season, but some of the players are coming off injuries and we don't know yet how dependable they will be.
I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble. We still had other players and most of the walkons except RFK and maybe AJ Diggs played bit parts anyway. It's good for depth and for periodic contributions. No one is saying we are projecting Logan to be a starter and play big minutes. And if he does play a little that doesn't mean we have failed. That's a false dilemma.
RFK was a special case. He gave up mid major offers to come to Cal. Braun was dealing with reduced scholarships from the Bozeman sanctions and he actively recruited RFK on the basis that he was a guy who would have gotten a schollie if we had one and he was considered from the beginning a full fledged guy like any other recruit. I don't think we get him without that understanding. And he ultimately got a scholarship.

The rest - sorry, having to use them was a result of roster deficiencies. They all worked hard and had their moments. Some had special roles. If Diggs was used as just a guy that came in when you needed a steal or you wanted a full court press, that would have been okay. But he was in much more than that. He couldn't score at all.

Famulener played 21 minutes a game one year with 3 points and 3 rebounds. That hurt and it was because we had no one on the front line. He did a lot of little things and used his body, set screens, etc. but having 3 and 3 in 21 minutes is not what you need.

My policy on walkons is not to dismiss them, but not to consider them until they give me a reason to. I agree with SFCity that they are important as practice players, and great if you guys want to talk about it, but it is more in the weeds on the program than I am willing to get. I hope that Wilcox and Fox are doing their best on all the little things that make a program successful - walkons, lower level assistants, grad assistants, strength and conditioning, trainers, etc. But I don't think any of us have the knowledge to evaluate those things in a meaningful way.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.