Where is Logan Alters?

7,368 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Logan is/was a Wyking Jones recruit, committing last July as a preferred walk-on, and appeared to have developed a fairly close relationship with Jones. He was a point guard on his high school team in Florida, and was their go-to kickout three point shooter, and his team won the Florida State Championship by 40 points. He is listed on the Bear Insider roster for this year's team, but the CalBears website has not published the team roster yet. Does anyone know if he is on the projected roster for this season?
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Yes
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
Eric said like a month ago that Logan is all in. He's very bullish on him and one of those PWOs that could actually get playing time at some point. One thing that Braun did well was bring in walkons who actually could play.
BearGreg
Staff
Logan is on campus and practicing with the team. Impressing folks with his fitness and work ethic
KoreAmBear
BearGreg said:

Logan is on campus and practicing with the team. Impressing folks with his fitness and work ethic
I hope he's good enough to get consideration for minutes.
stu
KoreAmBear said:

I hope he's good enough to get consideration for minutes.
Nothing against Logan, but I hope the schollie players all turn out to be better.
helltopay1
if walk-0ns get playing time, you're in trouble.
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

Right, but the better the walk-ons are, the better the scrimmages and practices will be for the scholarship players. We have more depth at all positions than last season, but some of the players are coming off injuries and we don't know yet how dependable they will be.
SFCityBear
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

Right, but the better the walk-ons are, the better the scrimmages and practices will be for the scholarship players. We have more depth at all positions than last season, but some of the players are coming off injuries and we don't know yet how dependable they will be.
Other than Orender and maybe Serge, I got the sense that the walkons from the prior staff were there for non-basketball reasons.
KoreAmBear
SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble. We still had other players and most of the walkons except RFK and maybe AJ Diggs played bit parts anyway. It's good for depth and for periodic contributions. No one is saying we are projecting Logan to be a starter and play big minutes. And if he does play a little that doesn't mean we have failed. That's a false dilemma.
oskidunker
KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble. We still had other players and most of the walkons except RFK and maybe AJ Diggs played bit parts anyway. It's good for depth and for periodic contributions. No one is saying we are projecting Logan to be a starter and play big minutes. And if he does play a little that doesn't mean we have failed. That's a false dilemma.
Thank you. So true. Loved rfk. Plus who could forget Olatunji Dean on the bench as Kidd beat Duke.
Go Bears!
tsubamoto2001
If the scholarship guys aren't keeping this kid glued to the bench, then we've got problems. Using some Braun-era role guys as examples doesn't absolve that. I'm not going to bad-mouth any of those guys, but RFK was the only guy who would have sniffed a scholarship on other good programs.

OK, you say these guys could be good for "bit roles". Perhaps, but that's acceptable only in a case of roster attrition. If we've got 12 scholarship guys, then it's not so good.

KoreAmBear said:

SFCityBear said:

helltopay1 said:

Civil Bear
tsubamoto2001 said:

If the scholarship guys aren't keeping this kid glued to the bench, then we've got problems. Using some Braun-era role guys as examples doesn't absolve that. I'm not going to bad-mouth any of those guys, but RFK was the only guy who would have sniffed a scholarship on other good programs.

OK, you say these guys could be good for "bit roles". Perhaps, but that's acceptable only in a case of roster attrition. If we've got 12 scholarship guys, then it's not so good.

Yup
socaliganbear
BearGreg said:

Copy & paste?
BC Calfan
"I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble.

Sorry KAB, we were in trouble w those guys. One of Braun's faults was his usage of walk-onsrfk notwithstanding. AJ Diggs era was cringeworthy.
HoopDreams
Some walk ons become valuable players (basically over looked in recruiting). Lots of examples in basketball and football at many schools. Even happens at the pro level.

Then other walk ons can be roles players and get spot minutes (at end of games, when we have foul trouble, etc), resting key players, filling a gap, etc

Then there is always the walk on who fills in when we have a hole for what ever reason (transfer, injury, etc)

And walk ons are important practice players, and hopefully bring some intangibles if they are good teammates

Basically I think walk ons add to the success of the team
cmfan64
Wasn't Steve Kerr's son a walk-on ? He was a great team mate. I love walk-ons in every sport.
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Some walk ons become valuable players (basically over looked in recruiting). Lots of examples in basketball and football at many schools. Even happens at the pro level.

Then other walk ons can be roles players and get spot minutes (at end of games, when we have foul trouble, etc), resting key players, filling a gap, etc

Then there is always the walk on who fills in when we have a hole for what ever reason (transfer, injury, etc)

And walk ons are important practice players, and hopefully bring some intangibles if they are good teammates

Basically I think walk ons add to the success of the team

Nice summation and middle-of-the-road position, because just about everything anybody has written on this thread has some truth in it.
SFCityBear
BC Calfan said:

"I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble.

Sorry KAB, we were in trouble w those guys. One of Braun's faults was his usage of walk-onsrfk notwithstanding. AJ Diggs era was cringeworthy.
A.J. Diggs was one of my favorite players off the bench. A starter he was not. But if you are behind in the game, and need possessions, and need the ball, Diggs would get it for you. Put him in the game, and in no more than a minute or two, he would have his first steal. He made teams adjust for him, keep the ball away from the guy he was guarding. Of course he had so many other weaknesses, he'd get overwhelmed and be out of the game in 5 minutes time.

Diggs wasn't "cringeworthy" for me. What was cringeworthy was the two years of Wyking Jones' regime. The team was awful. Almost every strategy or tactic made me cringe. I left Haas, and watched on TV, and then it deteriorated from there, from watching 40 minutes to watching 10, and then not watching games at all, as I couldn't bear to see them.

What makes me cringe even more than a walk-on who can't cut the mustard, is a recruit, a player using up a scholarship and not living up to his ranking, and some to their hype before they arrived on campus.

Gary Franklin
Circus King
Stephen Domingo
Don Coleman (Wyking's "go-to guy")
Kahlil Johnson
D.J. Seely
Shahar Gordon
Gabriel Hughes
Jamal Sampson
Erik Bond
Nikola Knesevic
Kaileb Rodriguez
Sean Jackson
Emerson Murray
Eric McCullough
Kennedy Winston

There are more, but I only went back as far as recruit rankings go. I would take a walk on like Robert Thurman or a Jeff Powers over anyone on that list, and I'd take AJ or Forehan-Kelly over most of them. I wondered if I should put Sampson on the list, but since he made me cringe several times a game, I put him on. I know there are some Sampson-lovers, but compared to the hype that preceded him, he was a flop at Cal, left early, and was a flop everywhere he went in the NBA. Couldn't be depended on to make wide-open two-footer.

SFCityBear
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

What makes me cringe even more than a walk-on who can't cut the mustard, is a recruit, a player using up a scholarship and not living up to his ranking, and some to their hype before they arrived on campus.

Gary Franklin
Circus King
Stephen Domingo
Don Coleman (Wyking's "go-to guy")
Kahlil Johnson
D.J. Seely
Shahar Gordon
Gabriel Hughes
Jamal Sampson
Erik Bond
Nikola Knesevic
Kaileb Rodriguez
Sean Jackson
Emerson Murray
Eric McCullough
Kennedy Winston

There are more, but I only went back as far as recruit rankings go. I would take a walk on like Robert Thurman or a Jeff Powers over anyone on that list, and I'd take AJ or Forehan-Kelly over most of them. I wondered if I should put Sampson on the list, but since he made me cringe several times a game, I put him on. I know there are some Sampson-lovers, but compared to the hype that preceded him, he was a flop at Cal, left early, and was a flop everywhere he went in the NBA. Couldn't be depended on to make wide-open two-footer.

Kennedy Winston decommitted from Cal and was a star at Alabama.

As for Sampson, he was a defensive force as a frosh at Cal playing with a bad back. Unfortunately for him, the back problems curtailed his career.

But its a bit disappointing for you to rip on some of our student-athletes that played hard but failed to live up to your expectations. Guys like Gordon who was working himself into the rotation before getting drafted into the Isreali Army, or Domingo and Knesevic who were otherwise great teammates, stuck with the program and graduated.
joe amos yaks
helltopay1 said:

What's your deal? Are you afraid to compete?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
joe amos yaks
Thee "Thurmanator"!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
helltopay1
dear Yaks: Your question does not comport with my observation. Please change your question . My observation stands. If you are playing walk-ons as part of your rotation, it's a safe bet you will not be in the final four.
helltopay1
Dear Civil: SF City Bear was simply stating an obvious fact. Namely, that many scholarship players have failed to live up to expectations. He was not saying that these players were less than sterling human beings or poor scholars...this is a site which purports to discuss how well or how poor players perform. He was simply reminding fellow bloggers how often and to what extant our coaches have failed to identify potential pac-12 players. There are many causes for these failures over the years. From time-to-time we have discussed thew reasons for these failures. You do not eliminate these causes by failing to identify them. sunlight is the best disinfectant. oui??????
helltopay1
Alters may get more playing time than would otherwise be the case because, as a good shooter, he will help overcome our lack of quality perimeter shooters next season. You grab good shooters wherever you can find them.
BearGreg
Staff
Jamal Sampson was a HUGE part (25+ minutes per game) of an NCAA tournament team and an elite level interior defender. That team won on defense and he was by far the biggest factor. He was also a good passer. NBA player who had a five-year career in the league.

Yogi011
KoreAmBear said:

I don't think we were in trouble when Ryan Forehan-Kelly was playing or AJ Diggs, Connor Famulener or Alex Pribble.
For most of those guys, we were.
Civil Bear
Dear Hell: Your inability to locate the irony in my post does not surprise.
helltopay1
Dear civil: i took a magnifying glass to your post and still couldn't find the "irony." Either I need a bigger magnifying glass or you need to look up the word "irony" in your friendly dictionary. Also, your refusal to grow a thicker skin as well as your tendency to personalize just about everything also doesn't surprise. However, I'm sure you are a sterling civil engineer. many folks have a hard time staying " in their lane", and, so far, you have not proved to be the exception which proves the rule. you can take comfort knowing that my flaws outnumber my virtues, but, at my age, calling a spade a spade becomes easier all the time. go in peace, my child.
Civil Bear
Dear Hell: I can't help it if your magnifying glass is too small. Here a small hint: consider the poster I was replying too, and their penchant to flip-out whenever someone else dares criticize a Cal player (like Bak Bak not living up to his HS tape as a relatively recent example).

As for the rest of your dull post, I will do as you say and go in peace. I wouldn't want to get accused of elderly abuse.

Toodles.
oskidunker
Everyone, if they are lucky, will get old.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
Civil: Oh behave!!!!!"toodles?" If I didn't know better I would say........oh---never mind!!!It's always best to give folks the benefit of the doubt.
KenBurnski
BearGreg
Staff
Let's cool our jets here.
KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

Eh maybe AJ Diggs had too much PT, but Connor and Pribble weren't exactly featured players. As supplements a healthy walkon program could help. I think the bar of 'being in trouble' has been re-framed by Wyking so maybe I need to reset my perspective.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.