the old days

6,452 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by helltopay1
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I was a kid , if Cal played UC Davis at Memorial Stadium, Cal would have won 65-3 with Cal playing their third-stringers in the fourth quarter. 27-13 at Memorial Stadium?????????somebody needs to be embarrassed .
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

When I was a kid , if Cal played UC Davis at Memorial Stadium, Cal would have won 65-3 with Cal playing their third-stringers in the fourth quarter. 27-13 at Memorial Stadium?????????somebody needs to be embarrassed .
If you look back farther to 1939, two years after Cal's Thunder Team whipped Alabama in the Rose Bowl, the Bears did play UC Davis at Memorial Stadium as part of a pre-season double header, and the both the Bears and the Aggies claimed victory when it was over:

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2010/4/13/14_12_A_Look_Back_To_1939_s_Football_Matchup_At_Cal.aspx
helltopay1
as j. mcenroe would say, " You have got to be kidding me." In 1934, when my Dad played for COP, cal beat COP 7-6 at Memorial.
joe amos yaks
OT:

Yes, the "old days".

1943 -- Saint Mary's Pre-Flight beat Cal 39-0.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

OT:

Yes, the "old days".

It was not easy finding the records, but St. Mary's Pre-Flight was probably a formidable opponent. The next year. 1944, they were ranked #19 in the final AP College Poll, and beat Cal that year also, 33-6.
SFCALBear72
helltopay1 said:

In the old days and today, I would have posted these "football comments" on the football board and not the men's basketball board. ????? Somebody should be embarrassed. Hmmmmm.
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

as j. mcenroe would say, " You have got to be kidding me." In 1934, when my Dad played for COP, cal beat COP 7-6 at Memorial.
Wow. Your Dad played for COP. They had some good teams. And Joe Kapp won't forget how COP's Dick Bass gained 220 yards as they beat Cal's '58 Rose Bowl bound team in first game of the season at Memorial. I remember going to that game and remember Bass having a big day, but credit for the stat and story has to go to Joe Amos Yaks in a 3 year old post I found on the Bear Insider forum.
SFCityBear
SFCALBear72 said:

helltopay1 said:

In the old days and today, I would have posted these "football comments" on the football board and not the men's basketball board. ????? Somebody should be embarrassed. Hmmmmm.
Lighten up. It's all Cal, and any thing Cal-related is good here, isn't it?
SFCALBear72
SFCityBear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

helltopay1 said:

Lighten up. It's all Cal, and any thing Cal-related is good here, isn't it?
Hahaha. OK. If you say so. Two football boards and this lands here is all I'm saying.
helltopay1
Dear Bear 72. Yes...I'm deeply ashamed for posting football commentary on this BB board. i promise never to do it again. if I were at a Cal site when I committed this constitutional transgression, Antifa would have rushed the stage and burned thge whole place down. I am forever in your debt for reminding me of this terrible sin. I plan on going to Confession later today.
59bear
helltopay1 said:

Of course, Cal Davis has grown up quite a lot since you were a kid and Cal Berkeley has, with periodic exceptions, struggled to maintain relevance in the revenue sports.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Looking over Cal Davis foothill history and what they accomplished last season, I'd say 2019 is going to be one of Cal Davis's best teams ever.
joe amos yaks
SFCityBear said:

joe amos yaks said:

OT:

Yes, the "old days".

It was not easy finding the records, but St. Mary's Pre-Flight was probably a formidable opponent. The next year. 1944, they were ranked #19 in the final AP College Poll, and beat Cal that year also, 33-6.
OT -- More on the "old days".

That 1944 St. Mary's Pre-Flight team (AP #19) lost (0-6) to $uSC in a game played in Fresno (?), but they also beat Ucla (21-13) in LA.

StM Pre-Flight played three seasons (1942, '43 and '44) and the program ended at the end of WW-2. The rosters were made up of mostly college players from all over the country who were entering the Navy system.

My uncle played end at uU and was on the 1943 StMP-F team before flying off the "new" USS Hornet-2 in the Pacific theater.

Btw -- For those who remember, there used to be a landing / take-off strip at the St Mary's College campus (and a few SNJ's during the war) -- parallel to Moraga Road me thinkest.
joe amos yaks
OT --

Congratulations player/coach Al Attles...HoF.
60 years a Warrior.
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

SFCityBear said:

joe amos yaks said:

OT:

Yes, the "old days".

OT -- More on the "old days".

That 1944 St. Mary's Pre-Flight team (AP #19) lost (0-6) to $uSC in a game played in Fresno (?), but they also beat Ucla (21-13) in LA.

StM Pre-Flight played three seasons (1942, '43 and '44) and the program ended at the end of WW-2. The rosters were made up of mostly college players from all over the country who were entering the Navy system.

My uncle played end at uU and was on the 1943 StMP-F team before flying off the "new" USS Hornet-2 in the Pacific theater.

Btw -- For those who remember, there used to be a landing / take-off strip at the St Mary's College campus (and a few SNJ's during the war) -- parallel to Moraga Road me thinkest.
Very interesting. I was too young to appreciate football then, but my dad told me a little about them.

What is uU where your uncle played end?
joe amos yaks
uU is the University of Utah, those "Runnin' Utes", Salt Lake City, UT.

OE in football and threw discus T&F.
UrsaMajor
59bear said:

helltopay1 said:

Of course, Cal Davis has grown up quite a lot since you were a kid and Cal Berkeley has, with periodic exceptions, struggled to maintain relevance in the revenue sports.
There is no such school as "Cal Davis." There is a UC Davis, but there is only one CAL.
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

uU is the University of Utah, those "Runnin' Utes", Salt Lake City, UT.

OE in football and threw discus T&F.
Thanks. I should have known U meant Utah. Your uncle must have been quite a guy.
joe amos yaks
OT --

Pilot (Corsairs, USS Hornet-2, WW-2; Corsairs, USS Princeton, Korean Conflict)

Navy flight instructor out of Mainside / Cory Field in Pensacola, FL.
Assistant Coach (Receivers) Pensacola Goshawks (1955-58) Navy team.

MATS C-130's, Moffett Field to SE Asia, 'Nam and back.

Taught at Rice U, at Norfolk, and at Canada Community College, CA.

Grew Rainier cherries in Sunnyvale, CA. Such is the life a career Navy pilot.

"Roger dodger, over under and out." -- A good Man.
MSaviolives
joe amos yaks said:

OT --

The couple of times I have visited the Hornet-2 in Alameda, I have found myself standing on the deck and thinking about how many pilots took off from that flight deck....and never came back.

joe amos yaks
MSaviolives said:

joe amos yaks said:

OT --
The couple of times I have visited the Hornet-2 in Alameda, I have found myself standing on the deck and thinking about how many pilots took off from that flight deck....and never came back.

OT--

Hornet-1 (Yorktown class) was the 7th ship to be called "Hornet". She was launched (December 1940) at Newport News, VA, and sunk 27 October 1942. She was in service for only one year + 6 days before being sunk in the Solomon Islands (Battle of Santa Cruz Islands). 140 lives lost.

Hornet-2 (larger Essex class) was launched (August 1943) in Newport News, VA. It sailed to the Pacific theater to battle in the Philippine Sea. A crew of 3,003 (officers and enlisted). She was decommissioned in 1947; recommissioned in 1953 and decommissioned again in 1970.

Pilot Lt. E.G__ (1943-45) was aboard the Hornet-2 when the bow of the ship was slammed by a huge wave during a typhoon in the Philippine Sea in June 1945. The ship had to be run in reverse in order to launch planes off the stern end until repairs were made to 25 feet of collapsed bow flight deck. The USS Bennington sustained similar damage.

Altogether six men were killed on the two carriers during the storm; 76 airplanes were destroyed or lost overboard and 70 were damaged.
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

OT --

Joe,

The story gets better and better, and thanks.

In 1963 I left Cal for a semester and a summer to work and make some money. The Engineering Dept at Cal got me a job at General Dynamics in San Diego, and I rented a room in La Jolla. I drove past Miramar Naval Air Station back and forth every day to and from work. I used to hang out at the La Jolla Rec Center where lots of good players would come, and we played outdoor hoops every night in the warm weather. One of the fighter pilots from Miramar used to come and shoot hoops with us. I spent a lot of free time with him, and he took me on a tour of Miramar, the control tower, and let me sit in the cockpit of his F8U Crusader. I read where it was the last fighter to use guns for armament. He showed me the stick, which was interesting, It had two thumbwheels on it for changing direction up or down, left or right, and the stick itself actually did nothing, as he explained it. It just gave you the feel of flying with a conventional stick.

I remember taking an aeronautics class at Cal, and the instructor, Edmund Laitone, told us of the the time when he was working on the flight testing of the P-38. He said they had lost several test pilots who were unable to pull out of the same dive. They lost all the planes so they could not determine what caused the controls not to work. A big pilot, about 6-6 and 220 lbs offered to fly the plane. He was able to pull out of the dive and bring the back safely, and when they looked in the cockpit they found he had bent the stick so much it looked like a pretzel. They discovered that the reason the controls did not work was that in the dive, they were getting supersonic flow over the flaps and the controls would not work. They corrected the design and the P-38 later became a big factor in WWII.

As to the danger taking off and landing on carriers, my pilot friend said that on most routine cruises of a few weeks, they were likely to lose a pilot. He himself had a kidney ruptured when he was on the flight deck in a supposedly safe area, and a cable ruptured and struck him in the back. My cousin was an officer on the Midway, and he confirmed what the pilot said about losing a pilot on almost every cruise. I got to meet some of the other pilots from Point Loma, who mostly flew F4 Phantoms, as I remember. Those guys were pretty wild. I have utmost respect for all who flew for the Navy.
joe amos yaks
"In 1963 I left Cal for a semester and a summer to work and . . . "

OT--

Great story. Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences.

E.G__ never flew jets in combat. He never flew the F8U Crusaders; however, he did fly jets -- F-86 Sabres and the F-80 -- post-Korea.

His carrier based combat planes were prop' driven -- the F4U Corsair (Vought) fighter-bomber and the F6F Hellcat (Grumman) fighter. At the end of his career he was flying C-130's (Lockheed-Martin) for MATS.

Btw -- he did coach a service team (football) at Norfolk (~1965), but I'm not familiar with that episode.
MSaviolives
joe amos yaks said:

MSaviolives said:

joe amos yaks said:

OT --

OT--

Hornet-1 (Yorktown class) was the 7th ship to be called "Hornet". She was launched (December 1940) at Newport News, VA, and sunk 27 October 1942. She was in service for only one year + 6 days before being sunk in the Solomon Islands (Battle of Santa Cruz Islands). 140 lives lost.

Hornet-2 (larger Essex class) was launched (August 1943) in Newport News, VA. It sailed to the Pacific theater to battle in the Philippine Sea. A crew of 3,003 (officers and enlisted). She was decommissioned in 1947; recommissioned in 1953 and decommissioned again in 1970.

Pilot Lt. E.G__ (1943-45) was aboard the Hornet-2 when the bow of the ship was slammed by a huge wave during a typhoon in the Philippine Sea in June 1945. The ship had to be run in reverse in order to launch planes off the stern end until repairs were made to 25 feet of collapsed bow flight deck. The USS Bennington sustained similar damage.

Altogether six men were killed on the two carriers during the storm; 76 airplanes were destroyed or lost overboard and 70 were damaged.
I have had this book in my Kindle queue for a few months, and expect to start it before the end of the year. Down to the Sea

Quote:

This epic story opens at the hour the Greatest Generation went to war on December 7, 1941, and follows four U.S. Navy ships and their crews in the Pacific until their day of reckoning three years later with a far different enemy: a deadly typhoon. In December 1944, while supporting General MacArthur's invasion of the Philippines, Admiral William "Bull" Halsey neglected the Law of Storms, placing the mighty U.S. Third Fleet in harm's way. Drawing on extensive interviews with nearly every living survivor and rescuer, as well as many families of lost sailors, transcripts and other records from naval courts of inquiry, ships' logs, personal letters, and diaries, Bruce Henderson finds some of the story's truest heroes exhibiting selflessness, courage, and even defiance.
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

"In 1963 I left Cal for a semester and a summer to work and . . . "

OT--

Great story. Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences.

E.G__ never flew jets in combat. He never flew the F8U Crusaders; however, he did fly jets -- F-86 Sabres and the F-80 -- post-Korea.

His carrier based combat planes were prop' driven -- the F4U Corsair (Vought) fighter-bomber and the F6F Hellcat (Grumman) fighter. At the end of his career he was flying C-130's (Lockheed-Martin) for MATS.

Btw -- he did coach a service team (football) at Norfolk (~1965), but I'm not familiar with that episode.
As a little kid growing up, I used to save my pennies and when I had enough, I would go down to the local hobby shop and purchase a model airplane kit to put together. I made a Corsair, a Hellcat, a P-51 Mustang, and an F-86 Sabre, and many others, along with many ship models, a carrier, battleship, a cruiser. Most were solid wood models, but I did make a P-40 Warhawk out of balsa that did fly. In wood shop class, we all made a working model of a submarine, which we would load with a payload of rocks and a trigger. In the bathtub, it would sink and when it reach bottom a trigger would trip, doors would open, and the rocks would fall out, and the wooden sub would rise to the surface.

My dad had a cousin who was a pilot or a bombardier in WWII, who flew a B-17 on 35 missions over Germany. We lost so many of those planes and crews - it was a slaughter. He was such a kind and gentle soul. One time he found I was interested in radios, and he gave me his headphones from his B-17, which I still have to this day. The B-17 was my favorite plane, and it was a big thrill years later when I heard that a B-17 and a B-24 were going to fly from Oakland to SFO and stay a few hours for interested folks to tour. I climbed aboard and walked through both planes (not much was off limits), and took photos everywhere. Another big thrill was to hang around for the planes to take off. The B-17 was belching fumes and smoke and noise for half an hour and then it was airborne up into the clouds, and I was a kid again.

I know they were the greatest generation, but after yesterday's ceremonies, I can't help but think that with all the heroism shown on 9/11 on that tragic day, heroism by all who sacrificed their lives and their bodies by fighting back and responding, all by a younger generation than the greatest one, that we might still be in pretty good shape as a nation, should another great war rear its ugly head.
joe amos yaks
"As a little kid growing up, I used to save my pennies and . . . go down to the local hobby shop and purchase a model airplane kit to put together. . . a Corsair, a Hellcat, a P521 Mustang, and an F-86 Sabre, and . . . many ship models, a carrier, battleship, a cruiser. . . "
OT --
We did that, too . . . balsa and plastic . . . the Corsair, P51, the British Spitfire. Also, the "Mighty Mo", etc. Then fabricated model fueled planes (to fly with guy-lines and by remote") from kits and drawings from scratch.

We did board and tour the USS Princeton in Alameda post-Korea. I finally toured Hornet-2 in 2009 when in San D.

Thank you for sharing.
MSaviolives
I have a 97 year old family friend living in Rossmoor who was radioman in B-17s flying out of Italy over Europe--50 missions, including some terrible missions over the Ploesti oil fields and Germany. I had the sublime pleasure of taking him to the Wings of Freedom show at Concord's Buchanan Field in May, and got him into their B-17, where he held court as awed families filed by him in the plane as he reminisced.

I was terrified he would fall when I boosted him up into the plane, but he was game, and we got him in and out without incident. It was just a magical day. God Bless our veterans.
joe amos yaks
OT--

Fantastic that you could hear all the B17 experiences from your family friend.

EG__ also faced great adversity in the Pacific, but did not like talking about those experiences. He wouldn't hesitate to tell you so. Those "young" men peered into the abyss that is the great tragedy of war.
Go!Bears
MSaviolives said:

I have a 97 year old family friend living in Rossmoor who was radioman in B-17s flying out of Italy over Europe--50 missions, including some terrible missions over the Ploesti oil fields and Germany. I had the sublime pleasure of taking him to the Wings of Freedom show at Concord's Buchanan Field in May, and got him into their B-17, where he held court as awed families filed by him in the plane as he reminisced.

I was terrified he would fall when I boosted him up into the plane, but he was game, and we got him in and out without incident. It was just a magical day. God Bless our veterans.
Those things fly back and forth to Livermore Memorial Day weekend (I am pretty sure) They go right over my house every year. I think you can buy a ride, if I am not mistaken...
MSaviolives
Go!Bears said:

MSaviolives said:

Those things fly back and forth to Livermore Memorial Day weekend (I am pretty sure) They go right over my house every year. I think you can buy a ride, if I am not mistaken...
You can buy a ride--the price was $400. I asked my friend if he wanted to do the ride, but he declined, joking about the lack of excitement if they weren't going to be shot at during the flight.
MSaviolives
Wow. The exact B-17 plane that I was in a few months ago with my 97 year old friend crashed this morning. Horrible.
B-17 Crash
oskidunker
I was thinking of going on that since my Dad flew in one during the war.
Go Bears!
mikecohen
joe amos yaks said:

MSaviolives said:

joe amos yaks said:

OT --

OT--

I once represented one of the dive bomber pilots who was on the Hornet during that event. He had some great stories (but, after the War, although he started college somewhere in the South, he finished at Stanford - He was still a great guy though)
joe amos yaks
OT -- thee W's
Great photo in the green (SF Chron sports, p.1) this morning: Cotton Nash (uK/Rupp) and Guy Rodgers of the W's vs Jerry West, Leroy Ellis and Darryl Imhoff (+other LA) of the Lakers playing at SF Civic (1964).

Thank you, BJ.

BTW- We (me + 2 from uSF) were in the "crowd" of 1,500 vs the Knicks at the Richmond Auditorium (1964).
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

OT -- thee W's
Great photo in the green (SF Chron sports, p.1) this morning: Cotton Nash (uK/Rupp) and Guy Rodgers of the W's vs Jerry West, Leroy Ellis and Darryl Imhoff (+other LA) of the Lakers playing at SF Civic (1964).

Thank you, BJ.

BTW- We (me + 2 from uSF) were in the "crowd" of 1,500 vs the Knicks at the Richmond Auditorium (1964).
Joe,

Great photo, and thanks. Although it looks like Imhoff was the last guy up the floor. The article by Bruce Jenkins is a a great read. For those who don't buy that rag these days, here is the link to it:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/jenkins/article/How-do-you-get-from-the-Cow-Palace-to-Chase-14491320.php#photo-18376432

Scroll through the other photos, and you will find a photo of one of the Warriors, Cal's great Charlie Johnson, going up for a rebound against another Cal great, the Bullets' Phil Chenier, all in the 1975 NBA Finals at the Cow Palace.

The Civic Auditorium was a great place to watch basketball, as long as your seat wasn't behind one of the posts holding up the roof. It was a crackerbox to some, but there were not many places where you got an up close, intimate look at some of the greatest players and teams of the NBA.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.