Story Poster
Photo by Calbears.com
Cal Basketball

Cal Gets Second Hoops Commitment For 2020 Class

November 5, 2019

Hours before tipping off in the 2019-2020 season opener, Cal’s men’s hoops team has landed its second commit for the 2020 class. Jalen Celestine, a 6-7, 205-pound wing out of New York’s Long Island Lutheran has committed to the Bears. Celestine picked the Bears over offers from Hofstra, Tulane, and others.

As the above tweet says, Celestine shot 44% from three as a junior. He also averaged 16 points, six rebounds, and three assists on the EYBL circuit over the summer. The southpaw clearly has the ability to stretch the floor with his deft three-point touch and is described as a “combo guard” even though he has the size to play in the three or four spot in college.

Celestine joins Oakland’s Monty Bowser in Cal’s 2020 class, which now has one more scholarship spot left as long as no one unexpectedly leaves the program. The Bears will graduate Paris Austin and Kareem South and have one scholarship they held onto during this season.

More to come after we have some time to run some scouting reports on Celestine.

Welcome, Jalen!

Discussion from...

Cal Gets Second Hoops Commitment For 2020 Class

13,358 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hofstra and Tulane, etc??soun ds like another mid-major player..
calgo430
good height and can shoot a three. yes.
calumnus
calgo430 said:

good height and can shoot a three. yes.

Yeah, shooting is still underrated.
parentswerebears
helltopay1 said:

Hopefully the staff can coach up talent. If not, then Cal will be the Cal that the higher ups are willing to pay to get and we should all accept our mediocrity.
Bear19
Your parents may have been Bears, but it seems as if you are not. Silly to think that 4-5 star recruits are going to be breaking down the doors to come to Cal given the last five years. Totally unrealistic.

Tonight's performance demonstrates that Mark Fox knows what he's doing.
parentswerebears
Don't appreciate the personal jab. Bad form. I am very happy that this team is showing what they are. I hope that recruiting goes well. We will see. And I'll leave it at that.
CALiforniALUM
parentswerebears said:

Don't appreciate the personal jab. Bad form. I am very happy that this team is showing what they are. I hope that recruiting goes well. We will see. And I'll leave it at that.

Never mind your own personal jab at the new recruit as being mediocre.
HoopDreams
good shooting
good passing
good defense
good instincts
decent handle
not a super athlete, but has length
needs to get stronger, but time for that

looks like a nice player
concordtom
44% is nuts.
Gotta be a good athlete to do that.
BeachedBear
parentswerebears said:

Are you the pot or the kettle?
parentswerebears
CALiforniALUM said:

parentswerebears said:

Never mind your own personal jab at the new recruit as being mediocre.
Touche. It was in poor form of me. I hope that he comes in and makes an impact. And yes, I am the pot and the kettle. Thanks for calling me out.
UrsaMajor
parentswerebears said:

helltopay1 said:

Hopefully the staff can coach up talent. If not, then Cal will be the Cal that the higher ups are willing to pay to get and we should all accept our mediocrity.
I agree with the first sentence. The second sounds like you are wanting Cal to pay recruits in order not to be mediocre. I assume that's not what you meant...
parentswerebears
Nope, not what I meant. I am in agreement with many here that Cal does not take sports seriously and that the programs will never get anywhere beyond mediocre on a regular basis unless the university starts to take football and basketball seriously. And money towards facilities and coaches is going to help in recruiting. Until they do, we will get players with potential but not the 4 and 5 star athletes that it takes to truly compete.
dimitrig

I would gladly play the role of a mid-major like Butler. Gordon Hayward was a 3-star. Not saying that this guy compares, but there are a lot of stars at mid-majors that I would take over anyone on the roster right now.
TheSouseFamily
dimitrig said:

I would gladly play the role of a mid-major like Butler. Gordon Hayward was a 3-star. Not saying that this guy compares, but there are a lot of stars at mid-majors that I would take over anyone on the roster right now.

Or even someone like Villanova. Until the past few years, Villanova went almost a decade without a single top 40 recruiting class and managed to win two titles. Program stability/continuity, strong scouting, roster depth, low attrition and a solid staff teaching a good system can take you far, even without elite talent.
puget sound cal fan
Celestine and Bowser both need a healthy dose of the Bears' S&C Program. Celestine looks to have a capable perimeter jumper, and his handles enable him to penetrate to the hoop, where he can finish with either hand. He's long and athletic with good quickness--all attributes that could make him a good defender. Celestine is promising-looking recruit, who could be good contributor with some solid coaching.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.