Official Matt Bradley Fan Club Thread

7,190 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Civil Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

4thGenCal said:

drizzlybear said:

I'll admit that at the time I probably would've taken Vanover to stay over Bradley. But MB pretty quickly showed last season that he is an all-around special player. I expected him to contend for POY this season and I, too, wondered if he might not leave early. But i think he will stick with this team for at least one more season. Is he Cal's best offensive player since Ryan Anderson?

He's very fun to watch (did you see the fist to the chest he gave to Coach Fox near the end of the game last night?). Plus, he looks like Mike Tyson, which is a plus.
Matt Bradley gives his all and represents the program very well on and off the court. Very respectful and appreciative young man - raised well by his Dad. Matt will return to complete his education/gain his degree for next season.
Matt is the ultimate hooper

Love his intensity, confidence, heart and swagger

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Jorge. The two are in the same class and for me, that is very rare air

If we keep this team together and add a couple good pieces, next year can be a very successful season

Next fall, when assessing our team's prospects, it's going to read like those old college football pre-season mags, which would say something like... "The good news is that Oregon State has more returning starters than any other team. The bad news is that they will be starting the same players that finished 2-10."

We'll need a couple of guys to take it up TWO NOTCHES next year, instead of the more typical one notch. It'd be nice to find somebody decent with a little length, too, in case Thiemann only takes it up a half notch.

But there are those of us who believe this team's record does not reflect its abilities. In my view, the season started in earnest for this team with the UCLA game. Granted, we're 1-7 since that time. BUT, if you accept that we truly have been competitive with the conference's stronger teams over that stretch, and if Cal is able to start winning a few games over these last couple weeks, then maybe we're already one notch above a typical 2-10 team?

As others have said, we already know, largely, what next year's team will look like. I think it will be a middle of the PAC team. That's not enough, but it's significantly better than where we've been the past four years. The question then will be what the next step looks like after that (post-Bradley and GA). That will all be about the development of Brown, Celestine, Thiemann, Bowser, and the guys coming in this year and next. Time will tell.

OaktownBear takes a couple of days off from posting and some people rapidly become emboldened (I mean, we actually won one game, too, I'm not discounting that.).

Reminds me of, only a couple of weeks into the lockdown last spring, suddenly there was wildlife roaming through the suburbs.
Clearly, OTB is in hibernation mode out of utter embarrassment now that Cal has shown they will likely win the rest of their games.

#deadpan
bearister
Best of luck wherever you end up, Matt. It was an honor having you in a Cal uniform and a pleasure to watch you play the game. I hope you will always feel you are a Bear at heart, because we will always claim you.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
bearister said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

89Bear said:

To my untrained eye, he does not seem like a player to leave early to join the NBA. He could end up having a monster career. Excited!

That would probably require 6'7 with his game...but an Elite Pac 12 player he is. I loved Joe Shipp, but Joe was no Matt.
Joe was no Matt and Matt is no Joe. Shipp was probably first or second runner-up for conference POY, when he was a senior.

3 bitcoin: Their respective 4 year stats will be in different zip codes. I'll take Bradley*...and Bradley was held back on the starting blocks by a sub CYO level coach.

*Does that correction work for you?

Are we ready to compare Joe Shipp and Matt Bradley's Cal careers?
bearister
Big C said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

89Bear said:

To my untrained eye, he does not seem like a player to leave early to join the NBA. He could end up having a monster career. Excited!

That would probably require 6'7 with his game...but an Elite Pac 12 player he is. I loved Joe Shipp, but Joe was no Matt.
Joe was no Matt and Matt is no Joe. Shipp was probably first or second runner-up for conference POY, when he was a senior.

3 bitcoin: Their respective 4 year stats will be in different zip codes. I'll take Bradley*...and Bradley was held back on the starting blocks by a sub CYO level coach.

Sure, I'll take the bait. Matt's career at Cal got derailed by horrific coaching (including participating in one coach generated school record of 16 consecutive losses), the pandemic and bad ankle sprains.

Their respective Cal career stats:

Joe Shipp:
Games: 127
PTS: 13.1
TRB: 4.1
AST: 1.5

Matt Bradley:
Games: 85
PTS: 15.2
TRB: 4.4
AST: 1.8

(I don't think one has to go out on a limb to predict that, barring major injury, Matt would have improved his career stats had he played his final year at Cal).

Ben Braun and Mike Montgomery (and I believe others) have opined that Matt is an NBA prospect. Joe Shipp, my favorite player during his time at Cal, was not. The End
Big C
bearister said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

89Bear said:

Sure, I'll take the bait. Matt's career at Cal got derailed by horrific coaching (including participating in one coach generated school record of 16 consecutive losses), the pandemic and bad ankle sprains.

Their respective Cal career stats:

Joe Shipp:
Games: 127
PTS: 13.1
TRB: 4.1
AST: 1.5

Matt Bradley:
Games: 85
PTS: 15.2
TRB: 4.4
AST: 1.8

(I don't think one has to go out on a limb to predict that, barring major injury, Matt would have improved his career stats had he played his final year at Cal).

Ben Braun and Mike Montgomery (and I believe others) have opined that Matt is an NBA prospect. Joe Shipp, my favorite player during his time at Cal, was not. The End

Alas, he has chosen not to.
Post removed:
by user
bearister
"I have no idea whether Braun or Montgomery have said Bradley is an NBA prospect or not."

Well, you do have an idea, because I told you so and I am a credible witness. Both Braun and Montgomery so opined during games when they were calling color. I am sure others here that pay attention during the telecasts will confirm it.

Please note, I have not opined he is an NBA prospect, but I am quite willing to defer to Braun and Montgomery on that issue.

" Cal basketball has been too awful during Bradley's career for me to have spent the amount of time paying attention to him the way I paid attention during Shipp's time."

When a team struggles, I still like to observe, enjoy and appreciate a player like Matt. He was often the best player on the court during games.

Similarly, I really enjoyed watching Jared Goff play QB at Cal, even though the Bears lost most of their games his first season. Athletes like Bradley and Goff are "worth the price of admission" performers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.