BB scheduling

3,301 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsaMajor
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Every year since Adam & Eve were hanging around Sproul Plaza, cal schedules at least one game ( sometimes more than one) which doesn't make sense either from a traveling standpoint or adequate days of rest standpoint. Tomorrow we travel to New York and arrive just in time to go to bed. We playDuke on Thursday night. Either they game against Prairie View shouldn't been scheduled, or the game should have been played last night. Of course, if the game were played last night, that would have fouled up the previous games. You do NOT schedule DUKE when you have to travel all day on Tuesday and try to adjust to a 3 hour time zone difference just 2 days later. We might be prepared for the Friday night game ( maybe) but not on Thursday night. Will the person who scheduled the game tonight against Prairie please raise your hand.....Fine...now go and attend time zone differences and the number of days required to adjust..jesus!!!!!
parentswerebears
It's part of a preseason tournament. That's how these things are set up. Happens all the time to most teams. At least we aren't Prairie View. They are on an 11 game road trip.
helltopay1
my comment still stands. the game against Pairie should not have been scheduled. as Paul Newqman said to Tom Cruise, " if you are going to do it, do it right."
Pigskin Pete
helltopay1 said:

Every year since Adam & Eve were hanging around Sproul Plaza, cal schedules at least one game ( sometimes more than one) which doesn't make sense either from a traveling standpoint or adequate days of rest standpoint. Tomorrow we travel to New York and arrive just in time to go to bed. We playDuke on Thursday night. Either they game against Prairie View shouldn't been scheduled, or the game should have been played last night. Of course, if the game were played last night, that would have fouled up the previous games. You do NOT schedule DUKE when you have to travel all day on Tuesday and try to adjust to a 3 hour time zone difference just 2 days later. We might be prepared for the Friday night game ( maybe) but not on Thursday night. Will the person who scheduled the game tonight against Prairie please raise your hand.....Fine...now go and attend time zone differences and the number of days required to adjust..jesus!!!!!
AunBear89
You really have no clue at all how any of this works, do you?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BeachedBear
helltopay1 said:

my comment still stands. the game against Pairie should not have been scheduled. as Paul Newqman said to Tom Cruise, " if you are going to do it, do it right."
So, your suggesting that Cal not take the trip to MSG and play Duke &Texas/Georgetown? Because its a package deal and probably the only way a program like Cal can schedule any of those teams these days.
bluesaxe
helltopay1 said:

It's all part of the same tournament. The last two games at Haas were regional rounds before the semi-finals in New York.

Do some research before criticizing everything.
Alkiadt
AunBear89 said:

You really have no clue at all how any of this works, do you?
Nope. But it's the internet, so I guess you can pretend.
Go!Bears
bluesaxe said:

helltopay1 said:

It's all part of the same tournament. The last two games at Haas were regional rounds before the semi-finals in New York.

Here is the part I don't understand. The "Regional Rounds" don't seem to have any impact on the semi finals. Why play them?
UrsaMajor
Go!Bears said:

bluesaxe said:

helltopay1 said:

Here is the part I don't understand. The "Regional Rounds" don't seem to have any impact on the semi finals. Why play them?
I wonder the same thing. I guess it's so the "cannon fodder" teams can say they were in a tournament.
HTP's comment about "getting used to a time change" is silly. I travel for work to the East Coast all the time and it rarely matters (even when I have a 7:30 AM meeting). But in this instance, the Duke game is played at 6 PM, meaning 3 PM PST. I assume even college students can get up for a 3 o'clock game.
glutton
UrsaMajor said:

Go!Bears said:

bluesaxe said:

helltopay1 said:

I wonder the same thing. I guess it's so the "cannon fodder" teams can say they were in a tournament.
HTP's comment about "getting used to a time change" is silly. I travel for work to the East Coast all the time and it rarely matters (even when I have a 7:30 AM meeting). But in this instance, the Duke game is played at 6 PM, meaning 3 PM PST. I assume even college students can get up for a 3 o'clock game.
Actually, Thursday's game vs. Duke is at 6:00 Pacific time, so the timing shouldn't really be a problem for our team. I do think that the Prairie View game should have been Saturday or Sunday to allow more down time between that and the Thursday-Friday games in NY.
Civil Bear
Go!Bears said:

bluesaxe said:

helltopay1 said:

When in doubt, follow the money. It creates extra advertising for the tourney.
UrsaMajor
glutton said:

UrsaMajor said:

Go!Bears said:

bluesaxe said:

helltopay1 said:

Actually, Thursday's game vs. Duke is at 6:00 Pacific time, so the timing shouldn't really be a problem for our team. I do think that the Prairie View game should have been Saturday or Sunday to allow more down time between that and the Thursday-Friday games in NY.
Except that since PV was part of the tournament, we didn't have a choice about scheduling. Play Duke and Texas or Georgetown in NYC, play PVAMU on Monday.

p.s. Thanks for the correction. Brain Fart.
Pigskin Pete
bluesaxe said:

helltopay1 said:

I think he's got a point though. Duke doesn't have any other games scheduled this week and last played on Friday. There probably was a way to do the regional games earlier.
Big C
Duke Basketball takes what it wants. Cal Basketball takes what it's given.
Pigskin Pete
Big C said:

Duke Basketball takes what it wants. Cal Basketball takes what it's given.
So you're saying we don't get to have loaded guns?

helltopay1
glutton was the only poster who nailed my observation. Even mcKim nailed it. He said, this will be a short turnaround for Cal. That was a polite way of saying that the game on Monday night should have not been played. with all due respect to Ursa Major, who has the decency to admitting early dementia, time zone experts say it takes three days for a west coast team to adjust. Furthermore, Duke did not play over the weekend. This was not a "brain fart" on the part of ursa. The brain fart belongs to Cal scheduling. talk to Mark Fox privately and he will say the same thing.
oskidunker
Do you really think we would have had a chance to Beat Duke?
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
helltopay1 said:

glutton was the only poster who nailed my observation. Even mcKim nailed it. He said, this will be a short turnaround for Cal. That was a polite way of saying that the game on Monday night should have not been played. with all due respect to Ursa Major, who has the decency to admitting early dementia, time zone experts say it takes three days for a west coast team to adjust. Furthermore, Duke did not play over the weekend. This was not a "brain fart" on the part of ursa. The brain fart belongs to Cal scheduling. talk to Mark Fox privately and he will say the same thing.
Dear helltopay1: I don't think any of the responses to your OP are disagreeing with your point that that the scheduling is unfortunate and favors Duke over Cal. The responses seem to be more about your point that Fox (or really Cal, for that matter) has much choice in the matter and your desire to assign blame.

I've been around for many decades and reading comprehension is very important! Don't let those contards and libtards lead you astray. Keep up the strong effort and when you're as old as SFCity and I, maybe you can have an opinion of your own.

Just pulling your leg HTP - and gob ears!
UrsaMajor
BeachedBear said:

helltopay1 said:

Dear helltopay1: I don't think any of the responses to your OP are disagreeing with your point that that the scheduling is unfortunate and favors Duke over Cal. The responses seem to be more about your point that Fox (or really Cal, for that matter) has much choice in the matter and your desire to assign blame.

I've been around for many decades and reading comprehension is very important! Don't let those contards and libtards lead you astray. Keep up the strong effort and when you're as old as SFCity and I, maybe you can have an opinion of your own.

+1

When you're Duke, you get to dictate scheduling to the promoters. When you're Cal (or anyone not named Duke, UNC, KU, UK, etc.) they dictate to you.
helltopay1
Dear Beached & Ursa:
1) Duke did not make us schedule prairie on Monday night and
2 ) I am older than both you, Sf City & ursa ( who fluctuates between major & minor)
3) please explain the "reading comp ' quip..
4) I am not pulling your leg. You might get the wrong idea.
helltopay1
Glutton also has it right..
UrsaMajor
helltopay1 said:

Dear Beached & Ursa:
2 ) I am older than both you, Sf City & ursa ( who fluctuates between major & minor)
No, Duke didn't, but the promoters of the "tournament" did. Duke can dictate when they play; that's what I was saying. Of course, we could have refused to be in the tournament and lose out on a trip to MSG and some national exposure, but my understanding is that if we wanted to be in that "classic" we play PVAMU on Monday.
BeachedBear
helltopay1 said:

Dear Beached & Ursa:
HTP - your posts tend to have a 'tone' that often includes quips on age & reading comprehension. I was playfully tossing that tone back at you - since its a slow day for me, here at the salt mines.

BTW - The 2K Empire classic supports a worthy program IMHO. I think the bottom bracket (PVAMU, Cal Baptist, Georgia State & Central Arkansas) plays Fri & Sat in Riverside. Those schools all seem to be having a worse travel challenge than Cal. And I bet MSG is a better recruiting draw than Riverside.

Overall, I feel the tourney is a good opportunity for Cal. Despite the timing of PVAMU. I think Sunday may have attracted a better crowd than a Monday night game and given Cal and extra day of rest.

TheSouseFamily
Interesting. I had no idea those other teams actually played each other. More and more tournaments are having "campus games" but I don't think they usually play. It would suck to learn your team is in the Maui Jim Classic, but in the "bottom half" bracket played in Flint, MI.

Edit: Sure enough, the Maui Jim Invitation does have "regional games" for the lower half, to be played in exotic and beachy Johnson City, TN.
ducky23
I'm astonished I got to the end of this thread and helltopay apparently still doesn't get it. I'll give it one more go

Cal's invite to the tourney was conditioned on playing PV on Monday. Cal could've refused to play PV on Monday, but most likely would've been disinvited from the tournament.

Duke got to play earlier because they are duke and presumably have much more leverage.

You can complain that cal made the wrong decision by participating in this tournament to begin with. But that's not what you are actually arguing.
helltopay1
Dear ducky: if your 'understanding" is accurate, i apologize. I still don't know why the tournament committee required Cal to play on monday night. what on earth does one have to do with the other??I agree that, if that was the "price" Cal had to pay in order to get invited to MSG, i suppose it was worth it. However, if Cal gets blown out both nights due to travel fatigue, then, I will re-consider whether or not the "price" was too much to pay. Thank you.
Chabbear
Do remember that Cal's volleyball team had to play UCLA at 2pm on Friday so that mens basketball could play Cal Baptist at 7pm. So to play in this tournament, both volleyball and basketball got screwed. I hope it is worth it for somebody.
Alkiadt
helltopay1 said:

Dear ducky: if your 'understanding" is accurate, i apologize. I still don't know why the tournament committee required Cal to play on monday night. what on earth does one have to do with the other??I agree that, if that was the "price" Cal had to pay in order to get invited to MSG, i suppose it was worth it. However, if Cal gets blown out both nights due to travel fatigue, then, I will re-consider whether or not the "price" was too much to pay. Thank you.
Again, I don't get the "travel fatigue" deal.
They flew yesterday and have now been in NY for 24 hours, and they don't play until tomorrow night.
Fatigue because they played Monday? Really? These are 18-21 year olds in peak condition.
They routinely play after only one nights' rest in league play on the road. And regardless, they all have to play the next night at MSG as well. This is just an excuse for a blowout. If Cal gets romped it will because of lack of experience and lack of talent compared to who they have to play. The kids will be fine "fatigue-wise"....
ducky23
helltopay1 said:

I think I understand your confusion now.

The PV game is part of the 2k tournament, which is why the tournament has say on when that game is to be played.
Big C
Alkiadt said:

helltopay1 said:

They flew yesterday and have now been in NY for 24 hours, and they don't play until tomorrow night.
Fatigue because they played Monday? Really? These are 18-21 year olds in peak condition.
They routinely play after only one nights' rest in league play on the road. And regardless, they all have to play the next night at MSG as well. This is just an excuse for a blowout. If Cal gets romped it will because of lack of experience and lack of talent compared to who they have to play. The kids will be fine "fatigue-wise"....
Completely agree. Like in the old joke, what do they say when they arrive in Madison Square Garden, "We just flew in from California... and boy, are our arms tired!"
BC Calfan

Quote:

Alkiadt said:
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself. Non-issue that probably hasn't even crossed Fox's mind.
Pigskin Pete
UrsaMajor said:

BeachedBear said:

helltopay1 said:

+1

When you're Duke, you get to dictate scheduling to the promoters. When you're Cal (or anyone not named Duke, UNC, KU, UK, etc.) they dictate to you.
Georgetown's last game before Thursday was scheduled on Sunday.
Texas's last game before this Thursday was scheduled on Friday.

He has a point.
UrsaMajor
Pigskin Pete said:

UrsaMajor said:

BeachedBear said:

helltopay1 said:

+1

Georgetown's last game before Thursday was scheduled on Sunday.
Texas's last game before this Thursday was scheduled on Friday.

He has a point.
True. But I'm afraid when you're Cal you suck hind tit until otherwise notified.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.