Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Cal Completes Season Sweep of Washington State

February 19, 2020

It took all season, but Cal’s men’s hoops team got its first win of the season away from Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, beating the Washington State Cougars 66-57 in Pullman. The Bears sure didn’t look like a team that had yet to win on the road. Cal (11-15, 5-8) led Washington State (14-13, 5-9) the entirety of the game and despite a few runs, the Cougars never got closer than six points after Cal jumped out to an 8-2 lead about four minutes into the game.

The Bears were led by senior point guard Paris Austin, who poured in 19 points on 12-of-12 shooting from the free-throw line. Sophomore forward added 16 points on 8-of-11 shooting from the field. And despite an off night, Cal’s leading scorer Matt Bradley added 11 points and eight rebounds. Bradley struggled from the field, going 2-of-9, but like Austin, was perfect from the free-throw line going 6-of-6.

Cal turned the ball over a few more times than the Cougars (13-10) and was out-rebounded 33-35, including being out-rebounded 6-13 on the offensive glass. But Washington State, which ranks 311th in the country in eFG% struggled to make anything from the field. The Cougars shot 29.8% (17-of-57) from the field, including 21.7% (5-of-23) from the three-point line while the Bears went 43.5% (40-of-36) from the field, including 35.7% (5-of-14) from three.

The Bears’ road woes this season have largely been due to offensive problems. And while the Bears didn’t exactly light up the nets tonight, they jumped out to a lead and hit shots when needed to build and hold onto the lead. Austin and junior forward Grant Anticevich got things going for the Bears with two quick threes building the 8-2 lead four minutes into the game. The Bears then used a 13-3 run lasting just under five minutes to push the lead into double-digits. Cal expanded the lead to 17 points on two different occasions in the first half. Wazzu used a 7-2 run over the final 5:14 of the first half to bring the score back to 32-20 at the break.

The Cougars came out of the half strong, scoring four points in 34 seconds to bring the score to 32-24 in favor of the Bears. Jervae Robinson then knocked down a three after an offensive rebound to bring the score to 34-27 with 17:28 to play in the game, capping a 14-4 Wazzu run that spanned both halves. Fox immediately called a timeout and the Bears responded with a 14-4 run over the next six minutes to push the score back to 48-31. 

Wazzu used an 8-0 run over the next three minutes to bring the score back to 48-39. Cal went about six minutes without a field goal but made six free throws during that time The Cougars' own offensive struggles kept them from getting any closer than nine points until a mini 6-0 run brought the score to 58-52 in favor of Cal with 2:44 to play. With 2:27 to play, Bradley traveled giving the ball back to Wazzu. But Wazzu’s leading scorer C. J. Elleby lost control of the ball, Cal’s Kareem South picked it up and found Kelly, who made a layup, pushing the score to 60-52 with 1:58 to play. 

The Cougars got within six points two more times but Austin made all six of his free-throws over the final minute to ice the game. 

Cal returns to action on Saturday in Seattle against the Washington Huskies. Washington is currently last in the Pac-12 with a league record of 2-11. If the Bears can pull off the win in Seattle, they will go 4-0 against the Washington schools.

Discussion from...

Cal Completes Season Sweep of Washington State

14,011 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As predicted, they would steal one or two on the road (the second coming against bottom dweller Washington).

Have to say, this season is turning out much better than I expected.
NVBear78
Agreed, Fox is coaching his guts out and the team is playing to maximum of their abilities.... Let's pick up a few more good recruits and take this up another notch next year.

Paris is the MVP tonight and really down the stretch so we will need to replace his ability to play tough, hit some drives and jumpers and get to the free throw line...
bearister
Bonton's absence was a head shot for the Cougs.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
Cal number one gun, Bradley goes 2-9, Grant fouls out, South 1-6, and both Kelly and South with 4 fouls

yet, Cal holds Elleby to 4-18 shooting...

...and Paris gets it done on both ends of the court, and scores 19 pts, broke down WSU's extended zone, got two key steals (that looked like certain WSU points) and went 12-12 from the FT line, including at the end of the game. Kelly goes 8-11. Bradley + Paris = 15 rebounds.

Paris has been playing like a veteran the second half of the season. His improvement on defense has been miraculous. His improvement on offense has been big. He even made a tear drop shot today (he's been working on it this season, but it hasn't gone down before today)

In a tough year, each win is so satisfying. Proud of the team

HoopDreams

BGGB2
HoopDreams said:

Nice pass by Bradley, but why did Lars bring the ball down to his waist on his way in for the dunk? That's how you get stripped. Sigh....
89Bear
HoopDreams said:

Cal number one gun, Bradley goes 2-9, Grant fouls out, South 1-6, and both Kelly and South with 4 fouls

...and Paris gets it done on both ends of the court, and scores 19 pts, broke down WSU's extended zone, got two key steals (that looked like certain WSU points) and went 12-12 from the FT line, including at the end of the game. Kelly goes 8-11. Bradley + Paris = 15 rebounds.

Paris has been playing like a veteran the second half of the season. His improvement on defense has been miraculous. His improvement on offense has been big. He even made a tear drop shot today (he's been working on it this season, but it hasn't gone down before today)

Agreed. Every win makes me happy for the entire program, but especially for the guys who were here last year and stayed with it!!!
BeachedBear
NVBear78 said:

Agreed, Fox is coaching his guts out and the team is playing to maximum of their abilities.... Let's pick up a few more good recruits and take this up another notch next year.

Paris is the MVP tonight and really down the stretch so we will need to replace his ability to play tough, hit some drives and jumpers and get to the free throw line...
Agree with you agreement. But the optimist has to point out that this team is making more than its share of self imposed mistakes - so there is still room for improvement this season.

The players and staff earn credit for reducing those mistakes, however, since earlier in the season. Particularly on the defensive end. This team is in every game they play, now. Fun to watch.
wifeisafurd
BeachedBear said:

NVBear78 said:

Agree with you agreement. But the optimist has to point out that this team is making more than its share of self imposed mistakes - so there is still room for improvement this season.

The players and staff earn credit for reducing those mistakes, however, since earlier in the season. Particularly on the defensive end. This team is in every game they play, now. Fun to watch.
I agree, though inexperienced players make more mistakes generally. As the team matures, it will hopefully have a higher ceiling.
KoreAmBear
BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

Nice pass by Bradley, but why did Lars bring the ball down to his waist on his way in for the dunk? That's how you get stripped. Sigh....
I'm just glad he caught it. It had a little hot mustard (from Top Dog) on it. If anyone could use something like Pete Newell's Big Man Camp, it's Lars.
FloriDreaming
Nice win!

Bears continue to show they're coached well and improving. Good to see.

Go Bears!!
LMK5
Nice wire-to-wire win. Where is that Dyson guy? Do the bears have any key players missing?
bearister
LMK5 said:

Nice wire-to-wire win. Where is that Dyson guy? Do the bears have any key players missing?

I believe academically ineligible, if memory serves.
Big C
I think Fox's words were something like "Juhwan is going to be focusing on school the rest of this year". Jacobi Gordon supposedly has some sort of injury or re-injury. Not sure if either of those guys will be back with us. Honestly, Cal Basketball flies so far under the radar these days that when guys on our bench sort of pull a disappearing act, it doesn't get much reporting.
NathanAllen
Staff
Big C said:

I think Fox's words were something like "Juhwan is going to be focusing on school the rest of this year". Jacobi Gordon supposedly has some sort of injury or re-injury. Not sure if either of those guys will be back with us. Honestly, Cal Basketball flies so far under the radar these days that when guys on our bench sort of pull a disappearing act, it doesn't get much reporting.
One of the reasons for lack of reporting is the coaching staff only meets with media after home games and then it's just Fox, no assistants, and he doesn't elaborate on injuries or other off-court issues. Even when we request to interview players, they're only offered right after games. And I don't blame the players for being short with media right after games.

This is my first year actually reporting on the team so I'm not sure if it's this particular coaching staff or Cal's PR people, but it's somewhat surprising. Most Power Conference college hoops teams at least have a scheduled weekly media day with the head coach outside of post-game press conferences. Even Cal's football team makes coaches and players available to media after practices during the entire season.
SFCityBear
BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

Young Lars just can't get no respect. He fails to try a dunk, and he gets ripped in this forum. Now he makes a dunk, and we criticize him for how he made it.

Actually, Lars had a pretty good game for him, playing only 9 minutes, but made two field goals (2-3), made his only free throw attempt, which is rare for him (current FT percentage = 0.459), looked aggressive getting a rebound, and even though the box score doesn't show it, it sure looked on TV, with the camera positioned up near the roof, that he blocked or at least deflected 2 shots. And he stayed close to his man all the time on defense, as far as I could tell.

It could be this is a better strategy, having Kelly start, and Lars coming in off the bench. The true test will be if it works this well against a better team. Kelly didn't pick up his 4th foul until the last minute or so. Against better teams, that might not hold true, and Lars and DJ might have to play more minutes.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

With Bonton out, Elleby may have felt the pressure, because it looked like he forced a lot of shots, and couldn't hit his hat. It could just have been an off night. Paris Austin did a very good job on Elleby, which turned out to be a nice move by Coach Fox.
bearister
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

With Bonton out, Elleby may have felt the pressure, because it looked like he forced a lot of shots, and couldn't hit his hat. It could just have been an off night. Paris Austin did a very good job on Elleby, which turned out to be a nice move by Coach Fox.

It is like Curry and Klay playing without the other out there to spread the defensive heat. Should be interesting when Steph comes back to the worst team in the NBA, the San Francisco Warriors, oh, maybe just the decal on center court says that.

Nice to see Steph enjoying his time off.

https://m.eonline.com/amp/news/1123749/ayesha-curry-straddles-stephen-curry-in-sexy-vacation-photo
UrsaMajor
Nathan:

This is something I've talked with Jim Knowlton about several times--that Fox has to be more available to the media--and to donors--if we are ever going to re-kindle interest in Cal MBB. Jim says he agrees, but so far no movement on that front.
bearister
Perhaps an open Q and A on BI? The advice he would get worth one or two more wins, easy.
59bear
HoopDreams said:

This has been a curiously satisfying season considering the losing record and the agonizingly slow development of the frosh although every once in a while Lars or Joel or Kuany or D.J. will show a flash of promise. On the plus side, Austen, who I've criticized in the past, has persevered and been very good the in several recent games, Antecevich seems to be getting better and his confidence is growing and Kelly is much more than the mediocrity many posted here last season. Bradley, of course, is legit> Hats off to the players, the staff and, especially, Fox. Good work all.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

Nathan:

This is something I've talked with Jim Knowlton about several times--that Fox has to be more available to the media--and to donors--if we are ever going to re-kindle interest in Cal MBB. Jim says he agrees, but so far no movement on that front.
Good idea, and thanks for talking with Knowlton about it. Fox does not appear as much at ease in his post game pressers as say, a Montgomery. And he may feel the pressure of his immediate job, which is to win all the games he can, and make all the players under him better, and the pressure, justified or not, may be influencing his reluctance to meet with media and donors, and spend all his time with the players until this first season is done. He seems more comfortable with Todd in the post game radio interviews, so maybe that is a start, even though Todd keeps them short. Seeing how well he has coached so far, both with the team and most of the individual players makes me wonder if he might have not had a fair experience with the media in Georgia. Or he could just be shy in front of camera and reporters with tough questions. All this media attention on college basketball coaches requiring press conferences after every game is a relatively modern phenomena at Cal, isn't it? I remember late in his career, Braun doing post-game radio interviews with the Cal announcer, but did Campanelli, Bozeman, or Braun do press conferences after every game?
Big C
NathanAllen said:

Big C said:

One of the reasons for lack of reporting is the coaching staff only meets with media after home games and then it's just Fox, no assistants, and he doesn't elaborate on injuries or other off-court issues. Even when we request to interview players, they're only offered right after games. And I don't blame the players for being short with media right after games.

This is my first year actually reporting on the team so I'm not sure if it's this particular coaching staff or Cal's PR people, but it's somewhat surprising. Most Power Conference college hoops teams at least have a scheduled weekly media day with the head coach outside of post-game press conferences. Even Cal's football team makes coaches and players available to media after practices during the entire season.

Yes, Nathan, I realize you're not getting much to work with. I guess my point was that interest in the program has sunk to the point where the fan base doesn't DEMAND answers to semi-important questions such as "Was it David Copperfield that made Harris-Dyson and Gordon disappear like that and, if not, what's the real story and could you please elaborate a bit?"

Nathan, I am getting the impression that neither Harris-Dyson nor Gordon will ever play for us again. Would you care to speculate on that? (It's fine if you would not care to. I would understand.)
NathanAllen
Staff
UrsaMajor said:

Nathan:

Thanks for that. I agree it'd really help get more interested in men's hoops if media and donors alike got more time with the coaching staff and players. In my short interactions with the coaches and players I've been very impressed by how thoughtful and kind they are.
NathanAllen
Staff
Big C said:

NathanAllen said:

Big C said:

Yes, Nathan, I realize you're not getting much to work with. I guess my point was that interest in the program has sunk to the point where the fan base doesn't DEMAND answers to semi-important questions such as "Was it David Copperfield that made Harris-Dyson and Gordon disappear like that and, if not, what's the real story and could you please elaborate a bit?"

Nathan, I am getting the impression that neither Harris-Dyson nor Gordon will ever play for us again. Would you care to speculate on that? (It's fine if you would not care to. I would understand.)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of speculating especially since I have no insider knowledge. BearGreg might be in better position for something like that. But I can stay general. For JHD, transferring as a junior if you're not graduating is a bit awkward. Most players transfer after freshman or sophomore year or do a grad transfer. That said, Fox and staff sure are recruiting for wings like they expect some attrition at that position.

Gordon seems to be a bit more of a candidate for transfer if we were to speculate. Even before his injury, he was struggling to find a role in the rotation. If he really wants playing time, he might be able to find that elsewhere next year. This is all pure speculation.
bluesaxe
SFCityBear said:

BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

Young Lars just can't get no respect. He fails to try a dunk, and he gets ripped in this forum. Now he makes a dunk, and we criticize him for how he made it.

Actually, Lars had a pretty good game for him, playing only 9 minutes, but made two field goals (2-3), made his only free throw attempt, which is rare for him (current FT percentage = 0.459), looked aggressive getting a rebound, and even though the box score doesn't show it, it sure looked on TV, with the camera positioned up near the roof, that he blocked or at least deflected 2 shots. And he stayed close to his man all the time on defense, as far as I could tell.

It could be this is a better strategy, having Kelly start, and Lars coming in off the bench. The true test will be if it works this well against a better team. Kelly didn't pick up his 4th foul until the last minute or so. Against better teams, that might not hold true, and Lars and DJ might have to play more minutes.
Lars has a constant problem with bringing the ball down low after rebounds and on inside moves, which is why he gets picked quite often. It's a fundamental issue and he should be working to eliminate it. I mean, what would Pete Newell think? He's got a ways to go before he's close to a solid player, but if he puts in the work I think he'll get there. He's just nowhere near it yet.
BeachedBear
bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

Lars has a constant problem with bringing the ball down low after rebounds and on inside moves, which is why he gets picked quite often. It's a fundamental issue and he should be working to eliminate it. I mean, what would Pete Newell think? He's got a ways to go before he's close to a solid player, but if he puts in the work I think he'll get there. He's just nowhere near it yet.
This is CYO level stuff. Perhaps it is not as much a focus in Germany in the youth leagues.
59bear
bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

I think one reason why he brings the ball down is because he's still thinking about what to do and not just reacting. He is still very "mechanical" at times and sometimes seems not to anticipate receiving the ball, both common in young players and correctable with work.
SFCityBear
bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

Of course I agree with you. My implication was more or less, why pick on Lars, when almost every freshman big who came to Cal in the last 10 years did exactly the same thing, and I did not read much about it here?. Solomon, Rooks, Okoroh, Behrens, you name him, got stripped of the ball on numerous occasions. Rabb, much less, but even he had the occasional strip. Pete Newell did not have to worry about it as much as today's coaches do, because fundamentals used to be a focus for coaches at the high school level in his day, and many players, especially big ones arrive in college having ;learned few fundamentals. I learned not to bring the ball down in when I played for the Boys' Club in the 7th grade. I remember when I tried out for the Cal frosh in 1959, my dad, who had played for Nibs Price at Cal, told me that the players I faced would be much taller than the players I was used to playing against, and he said the big ones would always bring the ball down low on a rebound, and that was the time for me steal it from them. I did it over and over during 3 days of scrimmaging. A fundamental like not bringing the ball down was a reason that Pete Newell's Big Man's Camp was attended by so many good and even great big men, and lasted for so many years, even after he passed away. I figure Lars is not much different from most freshmen bigs, and especially from the unranked ones like he was.
LateHit
Nathan,

We appreciate whatever you can provide. If the administration is not cooperating - not your fault.
Maybe Fox will be more available next year.
To clarify, did you say no post-game road interviews?
Thanks.
bluesaxe
SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

Of course I agree with you. My implication was more or less, why pick on Lars, when almost every freshman big who came to Cal in the last 10 years did exactly the same thing, and I did not read much about it here?. Solomon, Rooks, Okoroh, Behrens, you name him, got stripped of the ball on numerous occasions. Rabb, much less, but even he had the occasional strip. Pete Newell did not have to worry about it as much as today's coaches do, because fundamentals used to be a focus for coaches at the high school level in his day, and many players, especially big ones arrive in college having ;learned few fundamentals. I learned not to bring the ball down in when I played for the Boys' Club in the 7th grade. I remember when I tried out for the Cal frosh in 1959, my dad, who had played for Nibs Price at Cal, told me that the players I faced would be much taller than the players I was used to playing against, and he said the big ones would always bring the ball down low on a rebound, and that was the time for me steal it from them. I did it over and over during 3 days of scrimmaging. A fundamental like not bringing the ball down was a reason that Pete Newell's Big Man's Camp was attended by so many good and even great big men, and lasted for so many years, even after he passed away. I figure Lars is not much different from most freshmen bigs, and especially from the unranked ones like he was.
I think a lot of it has to do with whether the player can go back up quickly with some vertical without having to gather his body to do it. Rabb had a quick, bouncy second jump which was one reason he rebounded well. Lars probably gets more grief because it happens over and over again, and is to me a mental error vs. another freshman not having enough athleticism or shot mechanics or whatever. And because when he's doing that he's also ignoring the fact that he's surrounded which means someone else is wide open.
SFCityBear
bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

BGGB2 said:

HoopDreams said:

I think a lot of it has to do with whether the player can go back up quickly with some vertical without having to gather his body to do it. Rabb had a quick, bouncy second jump which was one reason he rebounded well. Lars probably gets more grief because it happens over and over again, and is to me a mental error vs. another freshman not having enough athleticism or shot mechanics or whatever. And because when he's doing that he's also ignoring the fact that he's surrounded which means someone else is wide open.

I agree and I think it is a mental error only if he has been taught or told to hold the ball high and not bring it down, and then failing to do it. It is hard to believe that no coach has ever mentioned it to him, but we don't know what coaches at Cal and earlier have said to him. I'd also say that in the video of the play in question, when he brought the ball down, gathered himself a bit and then went back up and dunked it, he was wide open, and no player was with 5-6 feet of him, which is why he got away with it.
TheFiatLux
NathanAllen said:

UrsaMajor said:

Nathan:

Thanks for that. I agree it'd really help get more interested in men's hoops if media and donors alike got more time with the coaching staff and players. In my short interactions with the coaches and players I've been very impressed by how thoughtful and kind they are.
OK, I'll do the expected... Cal's athletics PR has been awful forever.
Big C
I seem to remember a story told here shortly after Fox's hire about him engaging with the fans at Georgia (at football games?). He was willing to go the extra mile, it seemed, to drum up enthusiasm for his program. We could use a little of that here. By most accounts, Fox is a good communicator, one-on-one and in small groups. Let's see a little of that!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.