Story Poster
Photo by Cody Glenn-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Basketball

Pac-12 Tournament Canceled, Ending Cal's Hoops Season

March 12, 2020

Hours ahead of tip-off to the first quarterfinal game, the Pac-12 conference announced the cancelation of its men’s hoops league tournament. The conference followed the Big-10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, WAC, Atlantic 10, and Conference USA in canceling the conference tournament amid concerns over the spread of coronavirus. The Big East is the only major conference currently continuing to play, which tipped off its first game this morning (Pacific Time).

The cancelation of the tournament ends Cal’s season after Wednesday evening’s 63-51 win against Stanford. The Bears finish the season 14-18, including 7-11 in Pac-12 play. 

The Pac-12 will also be canceling all conference sporting events and championships until further notice, according to a statement from the league in the tweet above. 

It’s obviously a bummer for seniors of all sports, including senior guards Paris Austin and Kareem South. But head coach Mark Fox puts things in perspective.

Cal will not qualify for the NCAA Tournament and will very likely not qualify for the NIT should those events be played, which at this point seems to be trending to unlikely. The bright side is Cal gets to end its season on a win, which very rarely happens in college basketball.

We’ll continue to update this article if more news comes out. And we’ll have the usual post-season analysis and coverage over the coming days and weeks.

Discussion from...

Pac-12 Tournament Canceled, Ending Cal's Hoops Season

8,913 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by stu
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well we end on a high note with a win over Stanford
Dave75
Raise your hand if your preseason prediction was for Cal to finish its season with a win in a tournament game.
cccbear04
Undefeated post season!
bearister
Next up for cancellation: The Dance*

*All the other cancellations are establishing a safety standard of care. Any organization that falls below it will get hammered if anything goes sideways.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BeachedBear
bearister said:

*All the other cancellations are establishing a safety standard of care. Any organization that falls below it will get hammered if anything goes sideways.
At a minimum, seems like they should follow NBA lead and indefinitely postpone. Or play the games with respirator masks - that should do it.
Cal8285
HoopDreams said:

Reminds me of the old days in football. The last game of the regular season is against Stanford, and even if the team isn't good enough for post-season, it is a "successful" season if it ends with a win over Stanford.

The Big Game isn't the last game of the season in football anymore (and even a mediocre season might result in a bowl game), but we got to do it right in basketball this year!!
LMK5
Isn't it amazing how a bat in Wuhan can affect a basketball game in Vegas? Crazy world.
bearister
BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

At a minimum, seems like they should follow NBA lead and indefinitely postpone. Or play the games with respirator masks - that should do it.

Query: Would it be an automatic foul if the defender knocked the 3M N95 off the offensive player while in the act of shooting?
oskidunker
So who gets the automatic bid? Regular season champ?
BeachedBear
oskidunker said:

well, since WSU won the last game of the tournament . . .
OneKeg
Probably the right move.

Weirdly, it's been a long time since Cal's last game of the basketball season was a win.

I think the last time has to be when Ben Braun won a "national championship"* with Sean Lampley, Geno Carlisle, Thomas Kilgore, and Kendall Gill a couple decades ago.

Has Cal basketball ever had the last game of the season be a win over Stanford?

* (NIT)
Blueblood
oskidunker said:

"You're going to the game
with a Blueblood mask?"
LMK5
bearister said:

BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

Query: Would it be an automatic foul if the defender knocked the 3M N95 off the offensive player while in the act of shooting?
Technical would be called and the defender would have to wear fouled player's mask for the rest of the game.
bearister
Blueblood said:

oskidunker said:

"You're going to the game
with a Blueblood mask?"

bb, you need to shave to get an effective seal. I have worn facial hair since 1973. Not shaving.
KoreAmBear
HoopDreams said:

Big Game win and 2 wins over Furd in men's basketball.

Big C
OneKeg said:

Probably the right move.

Weirdly, it's been a long time since Cal's last game of the basketball season was a win.

I think the last time has to be when Ben Braun won a "national championship"* with Sean Lampley, Geno Carlisle, Thomas Kilgore, and Kendall Gill a couple decades ago.

Has Cal basketball ever had the last game of the season be a win over Stanford?

* (NIT)
I was going to post this as an (easy) trivia question, but you beat me to it. Was the time before the NIT the year we won the NCAA, or have there been other "odd" seasons such as this one?

As to your last question, there have been seasons in which our last conference game was against Stanfurd (1977 comes to mind... don't ask me how I remember). Too lazy right now to look up if we won or not, but I'm gonna say yes, we did (it was at Harmon on 3/5/77, IIRC).
UrsaMajor
BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

No need for masks, just be sure that players stay a minimum of 6 feet from each other.
Big C
UrsaMajor said:

BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

No need for masks, just be sure that players stay a minimum of 6 feet from each other.

I think we tried that on defense for two years, until Fox came in and ended the experiment.
caltagjohnson
So far there have been 31 Corona deaths in the US. In 2019 there were 490 homicides in Chicago. We need to quarantine the city.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

I think we got quite good at it on defense, except that it should have been called "Help Opponent's Offense". When we were on offense, our opponents did not seem to be using the same defense that we had used. If they had played fair, and used a defense like ours, I am confident we would have won more games.
SFCityBear
caltagjohnson said:

So far there have been 31 Corona deaths in the US. In 2019 there were 490 homicides in Chicago. We need to quarantine the city.
It's about time.
bleu0
Out of curiosity, when was the last time that Cal football, basketball and baseball all won their last games of the season?
stu
caltagjohnson said:

I think homicide is less contagious. After all it kills all of its victims.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.