Story Poster
Photo by © Darren Yamashita-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Basketball

Fox Reflects on Basketball Season, Expects No More Departures

March 16, 2020

In a conference call with the media on Monday, Cal ead men’s basketball coach Mark Fox expressed optimism about his program’s future and detailed how he handled the abrupt ending to the season.

In one of the year’s bigger upsets, the Bears knocked off Stanford in the opening round to the Pac-12 Tournament on Wednesday.

To continue reading, you must be a Bear Insider Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

Fox Reflects on Basketball Season, Expects No More Departures

8,338 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to hear no departures other than Jacobi Gordon.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

So JHD is back on the team?
BearGreg
Staff
We have sources on JHD that we've shared via Chat and the Premium board. Assume it will all be public in a matter of time.
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

So JHD is back on the team?

The article said Fox expects him back.
calumnus
What happened with Jules Erving? Quit basketball or transferred?
oskidunker
Still in school. Quit basketball about a month ago.
UrsaMajor
A bit surprised that Klonaris is staying.
bearchamp
Just maybe K came for an education?
calumnus
bearchamp said:

Just maybe K came for an education?

He ended up mainly a benchwarmer on his Greek U-18 team. Getting a scholarship to Cal is like winning the lottery. He will get a great internationally recognized education, improve his English and Fox and staff will improve his game if he wants to try to play pro in Greece. All for free, plus stipend.while living in the Bay Area. What are his other options? Lars probably looks at it the same way. They'd be crazy to leave.

Jules was not on scholarship, was not getting PT, but spending as much time on basketball as the scholarship players. His dad has money. Makes sense for him to quit and focus on academics. Basketball got him into Cal, but his future is a Cal degree.
SFCityBear
Thanks.
oskidunker
So where did he end up?..
Go Bears!
concordtom
Yo, old friend.
And I remember when you posted that you were leaving the addiction of BI in order to live actual life. Yet, here we still are.
Peace. Be well.
CaGoldenBears02
Had real high hopes for Gordon when we got him. Those injuries must've really impacted his play. Any word if he's leaving for sure yet?
BearGreg
Staff
CaGoldenBears02 said:

Had real high hopes for Gordon when we got him. Those injuries must've really impacted his play. Any word if he's leaving for sure yet?
Jacobi Gordon is no longer with the team - Official Roster

He will play for the Rajun Cajuns of Louisiana Lafayette this year - Transfer

That's the right level of basketball for Gordon who wasn't athletic enough as a wing or big enough as a post player to play at a High Major level
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

Yo, old friend.
And I remember when you posted that you were leaving the addiction of BI in order to live actual life. Yet, here we still are.
Peace. Be well.
Hello Tom,

Good to hear from you. I hope all is well. I was concerned that we had not heard from you in some time.

I've left the BI a few times, but I don't remember posting those words. Maybe so. It is an addiction, but not too destructive compared to most of them. My latest hiatus was to get my house ready for sale, part with 80% of my belongings, wade through the swamp of alligators wanting to get my house and pay nothing for it, find a new place to live, and wade through that swamp of avaricious landlords, willing to let me have some dump of an apartment on a year's lease, and make me pay through the nose for it, and finally get moved, hiring another guy to squeeze out what money I had left to move my stuff. I was almost ready to move to other side and become a Communist, but what do you know? So many people and friends stepped up to help make for a perfect sale and transition. The old house sold for $700K over the asking price, enabling me to return to enjoy Cal BB and FB this year. Life is good.

Be well and stay safe,

SFCB
calumnus
BearGreg said:

CaGoldenBears02 said:

Jacobi Gordon is no longer with the team - Official Roster

He will play for the Rajun Cajuns of Louisiana Lafayette this year - Transfer

That's the right level of basketball for Gordon who wasn't athletic enough as a wing or big enough as a post player to play at a High Major level

For most college players pro basketball is a long shot. Staying at Cal, even on the bench, and getting a great degree seems like a better deal than transferring to Louisiana-Lafayette just for more PT. Wish him the best but unless he was pushed out seems shortsighted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.