Most underrated Cal basketball players over the last 35 years?

4,168 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearOnABike
drizzlybear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks. That's what I thought!
BearlyCareAnymore
drizzlybear said:

Idk why people are saying Sean Lampley was underrated. He was the entire team at the time; burst out of the gate as a freshman and continued to improve. Didn't he get accolades, and didn't he set the Cal scoring record? I(those are not rhetorical questions I really am not sure, but I thought he did). I feel like he got lots of accolades and continues to be well-regarded. Maybe it's because he didn't make it in the nba?

Like the Roy Fisher call. Similar game as Lampley: undersized F, very effective around the basket, and a quality perimeter shot. And weren't they both left-handed?
Most of the names I included were not underappreciated in their day. Given all the stats calumnus outlined, Lampley should be a giant in Cal basketball history and I don't think the appreciation has lasted as much as it should have. I would say that Lampley should be in the conversation for jersey retirement. I would come down on the side of no, but I think he should be in the conversation.
SFCityBear
There are a lot of good underrated players named in this thread. I'd like to add a few more:

Chris Washington, who started at guard for 4 years, but always seemed to be playing in the shadow of Kevin Johnson in terms of getting the accolades from fans.

Same thing for Ryan Drew, another starter at guard, and a very good shooter, who seemed to be playing in the shadow of Keith Smith.

Billy Dreher, who did very little at Oklahoma State, but transferred to Cal, where he exceeded expectations. A good 3-point shooter, and a positive Assist/Turnover ratio. When is the last time we saw that at Cal?

Bill Elleby, a lights-out 3-point shooter. He played with some great players, and I always felt he never got enough shot attempts,

Jerod Haase had a fine freshmen year for us, in the middle of which, coach Campanelli was fired. Either Bozeman didn't appreciate him enough or maybe Haase just didn't feel Cal was a good fit for him, and he transferred to Kansas, where he played even better than he had at Cal.

Omar Wilkes, another lights-out 3-point shooter, playing on team of stars, never got enough shot attempts. In 2006, Wilkes and Theo, the team's best 3-point shooters averaged 4 attempts combined, while Ubaka and Midgely averaged 10 three point attempts combined.

Jorge Gutierrez. Unrated or highly underrated as a recruit, he proved many people wrong, and became a beloved star for Cal, improving every year.

Jeff Powers, an unrated transfer, could shoot, but little else. He was able to improve enough as a player to get some meaningful minutes, especially when Crabbe got hurt, and help win a few games.
BearOnABike
Not sure how much of an impact he had on us winning, but the defense energy of Raymond "Circus" King was great. You always need one or two guys like that on your team. Really pesky was my recollection.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.