Kuany Kuany and Bak Bak

4,626 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by taxbear
Chapman_is_Gone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When a player has the same first and last name, what does that indicate?

I did some googling and I assume it is an African thing (both are from Sudan/South Sudan)...and that Kuany Kuany translated means something like "Kuany son of Kuany." Is that correct?

Update 1: On the Wikipedia page for South Sudan, there are a bunch of notable people named, and none of them have the same first and last name. So now I'm confused.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sudan

Update 2: Apparently Bak Bak's real name is Bol Bak Deng. While I notice many people from Sudan have the name "Deng," I am now more confused than ever.

Have we considered focusing 100% of our recruiting efforts on Sudan? Needless to say, by how many Sudanese players have played in the NBA, we could field a pretty good team.
helltopay1
dear chapman: this is a sore subject...I once read that Monte passed up on Kwani Leonard for the legendary bak bak Bak Bak. If true, Monte will be spinning in his grave for eternity. bak Bak Bak turned out to be bad Bad Bad.
bluesaxe
helltopay1 said:

dear chapman: this is a sore subject...I once read that Monte passed up on Kwani Leonard for the legendary bak bak Bak Bak. If true, Monte will be spinning in his grave for eternity. bak Bak Bak turned out to be bad Bad Bad.
What if it isn't true?

Monte is a game of chance.
Growler91
helltopay1 said:

Bak Bak turned out to be bad Bad Bad.
Classy.
SFCityBear
helltopay1 said:

I dunno. There was this one game back in 2013 vs Washington State where Cal was having a lot of trouble stopping Brock Motum, a player who was one of the pre-conference favorites for PAC12 player of the the year. Motum scored 16 points in the first half, as Montgomery had tried everybody on the team except for Bak Bak and the waterboy to guard Motum all with with no success. In the second half, Monty puts Bak Bak on Motum, and Bak Bak shut him down for 15 minutes, and Cal won by 13. Motum never made PAC12 POY, and after a game in the NBA, left for Australia and Europe to play there, where he has not excelled. I hear Motum is still having nightmares about the time he faced Bak Bak.
Chapman_is_Gone
Seriously, nobody knows the answer to my question?

I thought this was a fairly smart message board.
SFCityBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

We don't need to be smart anymore, now that we have Google and a phone or a laptop.

Try these links, and you can become as confused as I am now:

https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/south-sudanese-culture/south-sudanese-culture-naming

https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/north-sudanese-culture/north-sudanese-culture-naming

calumnus
helltopay1 said:

Kawhi Leonard was a 4 star top 100 recruit from SoCal that got zero PAC-12 scholarship offers. So it wasn't just Monty that passed on him and in any case, never blame a player for accepting a scholarship.
calbear80
Was academics a major issue? Was character an issue? (Remember, he went to Fresno State). A four star recruit from Southern California who does not get even one Pac-12 offer (not even from Oregon State or Washington State) indicates there may have been some issues.

Go Bears!
Chapman_is_Gone
So nobody knows why Bak Bak is named Bak Bak and Kuany Kuany is named Kuany Kuany? Really really?
joe amos yaks
Is Yao Ming Ming Yao, and is Max Zhang Zhang Max? And who's Yahudi ?
SFCityBear
joe amos yaks said:

Is Yao Ming Ming Yao, and is Max Zhang Zhang Max? And who's Yahudi ?
In traditional Chinese usage, the first character in a name is the family name. The following one or two characters are the given name. Yao is his family name, Ming is his given name. Zhang is Max's family name. His given name is Zhao Xu, and so his name is Zhang Zhao Xu. I suspect Max is a nickname. Yahudi is a Jew. I will now return to my nap.
joe amos yaks
Thank you ... and to Cal greats Zhang Zhao Xu, Bak Bak, and Kuany Kuany.
Go Bears and sleep on !
helltopay1
Dear Chapman---yes...yes..yes..
helltopay1
I also believe Klay Thompson only received one offer from WSU. so, there were probably other issues before and even during his time at WSU.
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

We don't need to be smart anymore, now that we have Google and a phone or a laptop.

https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/south-sudanese-culture/south-sudanese-culture-naming

https://culturalatlas.sbs.com.au/north-sudanese-culture/north-sudanese-culture-naming

Thanks. That makes sense.
Krugman Is A Moron
Chapman_is_Gone said:

You read it regularly, so you should know the truth. Bunch of dumb fsckers.
calumnus
Chapman_is_Gone said:

So nobody knows why Bak Bak is named Bak Bak and Kuany Kuany is named Kuany Kuany? Really really?

SF's link explains it. Sudan does not have a last name tradition like we are used to so it is like Stevenson, Johnson, Johansen...etc last names that developed in Nordic countries without last name traditions and are essentially "son of" Steve, John Johan....

Most likely Bak son of Bak.

BeachedBear
Matthew Patel said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Wee mae be dumm, but least wee can spelll

Krugman Is A Moron
BeachedBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Krugman Is A Moron
Matthew Patel said:

BeachedBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Perhaps you aren't aware of how to dodge the profanity filter. Learn how to use the fscking internet.
SFCityBear
Matthew Patel said:

Matthew Patel said:

BeachedBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Perhaps you aren't aware of how to dodge the profanity filter. Learn how to use the fscking internet.
Well, I've read a few hundred of Beached Bear's posts. He doesn't seem to need to resort to profanity to make a point or make a post. He makes sense, and is well respected here, as far as I can tell.
Chapman_is_Gone
SFCityBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Thanks for the link, SFCityBear. It certainly provides some clues.

It's also pretty interesting to read about the different cultures, such as how Americans are perceived by others.
SFCityBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

SFCityBear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Thanks for the link, SFCityBear. It certainly provides some clues.

It's also pretty interesting to read about the different cultures, such as how Americans are perceived by others.

Interesting also considering that blacks from Africa or anywhere else were not permitted to emigrate to Australia under their whites only policy of 1901, which was not revoked until 1966. I would hope that Kuany and his relatives did not encounter some latent discrimination when they arrived, but since the migration from the Sudan continued for some years, at least life must have been better than the refugee camps from which they likely came.
taxbear
All those replies and nobody mentioned Setoga Setoga (definitely not of Sudanese heritage)?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.