Story Poster
Cal Basketball

Bears Hot in Pursuit of 4 Star Etiwanda SG Jahmai Mashack

August 7, 2020

In June, the Bears extended an offer to 2021 4 star Etiwanda High School shooting guard Jahmai Mashack‍. Since then, the relationship has grown quickly.

Rated the number 14 shooting guard and 48 player overall by Rivals, a commitment from Mashack would be a big boost to Cal head coach Mark Fox’s recruiting resume at Cal.

The non-traditional recruiting period programs find themselves in with no offical recruiting visits allowed due to Covid-19 has forced Cal and other programs to be creative in how they sell their programs, including Zoom meetings and tours of campus and facilities.

The Bears’ most recent Zoom meeting with the talented guard was a success.

“The Zoom call was very good,” said Mashack. “Coach Fox is definitely an X’s and O’s guy, which is great with taking your game to the next level. You can tell he’s watched a ton of film on me. He had clips of my games and moves throughout the zoom mixed in with their style of play. It was definitely impressive and the only school who has done that in that way.

“He said Cal was voted the number one program for player development and number one public school university. Those things are definitely impressive to me.”

Despite the lack of official visit opportunities, the Bears have a bit of an advantage with the talented guard from his family connection.

“I’ve been to the campus before,” said Mashack. “It’s amazing . My mom graduated from there so you know we had to take family trips to see it. 

“The Bay doesn’t seem like So Cal because it has it’s own vibe. I really like it. My mom talks about it a lot.”

The lack of visit opportunities has helped from Mashack’s decision time frame, which is looming soon unless official visits are opened up again.

“I’m looking to decide in the next month or so unless they say we can take visits,” said Mashack. “If so, it’ll probably be in November at signing period.

“Obviously Cal has great academics. But I’m also looking for player development and relationships. I’m a big relationship guy. I want to have the kind of relationship with my coaches that is bigger than just basketball. Those are the things that I’m kind of looking at.”

Besides Cal, Mashack currently holds offers from Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, Louisville and more.

More stories:

Local De La Salle DB Lu Hearns Commits to Cal

Oregon OLB Patrick Hisatake the Latest Golden Bear

Discussion from...

Bears Hot in Pursuit of 4 Star Etiwanda SG Jahmai Mashack

16,503 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Intuit
Civil Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Voted number one program for player development? What's this about?
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

Voted number one program for player development? What's this about?

According to Fox....

Like that his mom is a Cal grad, that is huge for us.....
philbert
interesting...

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/nations-top-coaches-at-player-development-may-surprise-you/
helltopay1
I suspect everything depends on how his Mom really feels about Cal. We offered late. Have to wonder why..
calumnus
philbert said:

interesting...

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/nations-top-coaches-at-player-development-may-surprise-you/

So it was 8 years ago and mainly based on "results" of a dubious methodology using data points 5 years before that? I'll take it!

Ben Braun used to rank very high in these metrics. Actually, almost all our coaches have.

Cal has had a very high percentage of relatively unheralded recruits rise to become PAC-12 Player of the Year. Not a lot in the NBA, but POY, yes.
HoopDreams
Mostly Monty coaches players

He was The Master at developing an offense around the best player (Crabbe, Jorge, Randle)

...and based on the players on the team (going to a 4-out offense with the Randle, Christopher, Theo team). Unfortunately he never had the dominant big to play his preferred offense)

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

So it was 8 years ago and mainly based on "results" of a dubious methodology using data points 5 years before that? I'll take it!

Ben Braun used to rank very high in these metrics. Actually, almost all our coaches have.

Cal has had a very high percentage of relatively unheralded recruits rise to become PAC-12 Player of the Year. Not a lot in the NBA, but POY, yes.
91Cal
We certainly seem to be doing well with the Covid recruiting!

I love hearing of the legacies and people who appreciate the value of the experience plus the "40 year decision " gaining meaning as the uncertainty continues.

The activism of the football players and Jaylen Brown are terrific examples of the values Cal instills.

The repeated airtime of Morikawa as a Cal Haas grad will be another huge boost.
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

He was The Master at developing an offense around the best player (Crabbe, Jorge, Randle)

...and based on the players on the team (going to a 4-out offense with the Randle, Christopher, Theo team). Unfortunately he never had the dominant big to play his preferred offense)

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Maybe with Crabbe, but Monty's best offenses had inside scoring and at least two shooting threats. At Stanford his only POY was Childress, who was the best player but wasn't usually the first option on his team.

Since 1994 (Jason Kidd) Cal has had more Conference Players of the Year (7) than any other school in the PAC-12.

Civil Bear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Maybe with Crabbe, but Monty's best offenses had inside scoring and at least two shooting threats. At Stanford his only POY was Childress, who was the best player but wasn't usually the first option on his team.

Since 1994 (Jason Kidd) Cal has had more Conference Players of the Year (7) than any other school in the PAC-12.

Yeah, if anything it was Braun's Pro-Flex offenses that were designed to get the ball in the hands of it best player, whether it be Carlisle, Lamply, Shipp (upperclassman), Powe, Ubaka (upperclassman) or Anderson.
HoopDreams
Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Yeah, if anything it was Braun's Pro-Flex offenses that were designed to get the ball in the hands of it best player, whether it be Carlisle, Lamply, Shipp (upperclassman), Powe, Ubaka (upperclassman) or Anderson.
well Monty did have 3 Pac POYs

I think Braun had 1 (Shipp), but don't remember
philbert
HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Only Ed Gray and Lampley. Not Shipp.
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Ed Gray and Sean Lampley

Monty had Randle, Gutierrez and Crabbe.

Randle was the PG and scored a lot in Monty's first year mostly because he had the ball in his hands with the green light a quick release and amazing range. 18.6 ppg, .404 from 3, .933 from the line. 4.3 assists. Ed Gray in Braun's first year was similar. Sometimes the best thing a coach can do is just let a scorer score.

Gutierrez won POY more for his defense. He was second in scoring (13 ppg) on a team with 4 players who averaged double-digits (ie balanced scoring). He was actually eighth on the team in offensive efficiency. He was not the "go to guy" by any means.

Crabbe was the best example of Monty using picks to free up a single player to get him the ball and score (18.4 ppg). Though Cobbs (15.1 ppg) scored a lot on that teamed too.
HearstMining
Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Maybe the reference to "Pro-Flex" is sarcastic (and if so, good one!), but I don't remember that Braun's offense had a name. I remember it largely as the "waste the shot clock passing around the perimeter until finally getting off some kind of shot with the defender in your face". Certainly players like Lampley or Carlisle could make a mid-range shot when covered, but it was in spite of the offense, not because of it.

Not trusting my memory, I googled "pro-flex basketball offense" and the top of the list was a combination trampoline and basketball hoop. If I were 10 years old, I'd want one but from a parent's perspective, it looked scary as hell!
Civil Bear
HearstMining said:

Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Maybe the reference to "Pro-Flex" is sarcastic (and if so, good one!), but I don't remember that Braun's offense had a name. I remember it largely as the "waste the shot clock passing around the perimeter until finally getting off some kind of shot with the defender in your face". Certainly players like Lampley or Carlisle could make a mid-range shot when covered, but it was in spite of the offense, not because of it.

Not trusting my memory, I googled "pro-flex basketball offense" and the top of the list was a combination trampoline and basketball hoop. If I were 10 years old, I'd want one but from a parent's perspective, it looked scary as hell!
The name came from Braun himself in an interview with EA Sports for their NCAA game back in the day.

If you remember, the years spent passing the around the perimeter were when Lampley and Powe were the dominant offensive weapons and the gameplan was to try and work the ball into them. That wasn't so much the case in other years.
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

HearstMining said:

Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

The name came from Braun himself in an interview with EA Sports for their NCAA game back in the day.

If you remember, the years spent passing the around the perimeter were when Lampley and Powe were the dominant offensive weapons and the gameplan was to try and work the ball into them. That wasn't so much the case in other years.

And for comparison, our 63.2 points per game last year was the lowest in 36 years, ie since Dick Kuchen's final year, 1984-85 (62.1).
BC Calfan
The more I hear about Mashack the more he becomes a "must get". His eilte ability is matched by his character and maturity. Just seems like a fantastic person. He seems genuinely interested in us. Still waiting on Fox's marquis recruit and Jahmai would certainly qualify.
KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

The more I hear about Mashack the more he becomes a "must get". His eilte ability is matched by his character and maturity. Just seems like a fantastic person. He seems genuinely interested in us. Still waiting on Fox's marquis recruit and Jahmai would certainly qualify.
Hopefully we can accelerate the curve with guys like Mashack, but in football it took the 4th recruiting cycle (which we are currently in) for Wilcox to start winning recruiting battles. Just the smaller numbers required for a basketball team give us a better chance to land some program changing players (maybe we have some in our new class).But for a few seasons we may have a tough time until we show that we are consistently trending upwards.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

Hopefully we can accelerate the curve with guys like Mashack, but in football it took the 4th recruiting cycle (which we are currently in) for Wilcox to start winning recruiting battles. Just the smaller numbers required for a basketball team give us a better chance to land some program changing players (maybe we have some in our new class).But for a few seasons we may have a tough time until we show that we are consistently trending upwards.

Fox's best class at Georgia was in his third year (2011), ranked #32 nationally (#7 in the SEC) and featured local 5 star and future NBA player Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

As a sophomore Caldwell-Pope was SEC player of the Year before being taken as the 8th overall pick by the Pistons.

Mashack could be a similar player for Fox at Cal.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

Fox's best class at Georgia was in his third year (2011), ranked #32 nationally (#7 in the SEC) and featured local 5 star and future NBA player Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

As a sophomore Caldwell-Pope was SEC player of the Year before being taken as the 8th overall pick by the Pistons.

While he is obviously an NBA talent, he sure sucked v. Portland on Tues. It's Dame Time and the East Oakland Anthem!
concernedparent
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

While he is obviously an NBA talent, he sure sucked v. Portland on Tues. It's Dame Time and the East Oakland Anthem!
Jealous of KCP... I would also love to be paid millions to do cardio.
BC Calfan
Welp, time to move on from Mashack.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/09/02/jahmai-mashack-sets-decision-date-cuts-list-to-six/

Krugman Is A Moron
HearstMining said:

Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

interesting...

Maybe the reference to "Pro-Flex" is sarcastic
Oh, it isn't
Krugman Is A Moron
BC Calfan said:

Welp, time to move on from Mashack.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/09/02/jahmai-mashack-sets-decision-date-cuts-list-to-six/
Hell, you guys are still trying to convince yourself Monty Bowser is a four star player. You guys who follow Cal basketball recruiting are like Washington Generals fans.
BC Calfan
Couple notes on Mashack.
1: I love how he's thoughtful and has something unique to say about each of his 6 schools.
2: Not one California school on his list. He wants to spread his wings, can't argue with that! I'm rooting for him. 3: Maybe this helps with landing Roberson.
Big Dog
BC Calfan said:

Couple notes on Mashack.
1: I love how he's thoughtful and has something unique to say about each of his 6 schools.
2: Not one California school on his list. He wants to spread his wings, can't argue with that! I'm rooting for him. 3: Maybe this helps with landing Roberson.
re#2: maybe that's bcos there is no guarantee that that the Newsome (or UC) will allow D1 b'ball next winter.
calumnus
Big Dog said:

BC Calfan said:

Couple notes on Mashack.
re#2: maybe that's bcos there is no guarantee that that the Newsome (or UC) will allow D1 b'ball next winter.

Arizona and Colorado are also in the PAC-12. If the California schools are not playing, they are not playing.
helltopay1
The fact that his Mom works for Cal is rather disturbing.
Intuit
If my memory is correct I think you might have this fact wrong. I think Mashack's mother is a graduate of Cal and it is Roberson's mother that works for Cal as an advisor.
philbert
Intuit said:

If my memory is correct I think you might have this fact wrong. I think Mashack's mother is a graduate of Cal and it is Roberson's mother that works for Cal as an advisor.
Correct. Either way, losing out on Mashack is a very bad outcome for Fox and Cal. It's pray for Roberson now. Not sure who else they realistically have a shot at now.
bearchamp
Given the trajectory of the team last year, I don't think we have to "pray" for any single recruit.
philbert
bearchamp said:

Given the trajectory of the team last year, I don't think we have to "pray" for any single recruit.
I guess. I was hoping Cal could one day return to regular postseason appearances and maybe make some noise in the Tournament. You can't do that when your top recruits every year are one year grad transfers.
helltopay1
Intuit & Philbert: Yes and yes..
annarborbear
Based on his statements, this kid seems like he 100% wants to major in basketball, and the school of his choice will be a means to that end. No problem with that. But our school will not likely be the choice for someone who does not prioritize the entire Cal/Berkeley experience.
calumnus
annarborbear said:

Based on his statements, this kid seems like he 100% wants to major in basketball, and the school of his choice will be a means to that end. No problem with that. But our school will not likely be the choice for someone who does not prioritize the entire Cal/Berkeley experience.

His comments about Shaka Smart indicate he is not 100% basketball, but yeah even with his mom pushing for her Alma Mater academics was never mentioned.
Intuit
next and don't say Kobe Johnson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.