Utah game postponed due to Covid-19

2,012 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ClayK
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In a statement released by Cal WBB a short time ago:

"Due to recent Covid-19 developments within our program, California's January 17 game against Utah has been postponed."

smh
thanks '72. Utah's notice emphasized Bears were the ones potentially exposed..
Quote:

SALT LAKE CITY The University of Utah Women's Basketball game against the University of California, originally scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 17, has been postponed indefinitely due to COVID issues within the Bears program.
An update on the direction of rescheduling the contest will be made available at a later date.
https://utahutes.com/news/2021/1/15/womens-basketballs-game-vs-cal-sunday-postponed.aspx
SFCALBear72
Yes. Cal's statement says "within our program". Could be a staff member or player. Plus you have contact tracing. Road games increase your chances of exposure...airports, etc.

WayneBear
Cal may be looking at not just a full 2-week shutdown, but also the cancellation of the game immediately following the 2-week period.

In the past, the Pac-12 has first updated its own WBB schedule when it makes a decision to cancel games. Shortly thereafter, the word begins to filter out and then you will see teams and the news media begin to report cancellations. Look at the schedule now - not only is our Utah game on 1/17 cancelled but also the following games vs. USC and UCLA as well as the following road trip to Washington and WSU. The WSU game would be immediately beyond the 2-week period but that's what the Pac-12 did in the past with Oregon State (i.e. you can't have a program shut down for 2 weeks and then ask them to immediately begin playing in the next day or two).

The Pac-12 doesn't list our following two games vs. Utah and Colorado but again, this is a mistake that they've made in the past when they cancel games. For some reason they will sometimes cancel games and then obliterate the following games as well (omitting them entirely instead of showing them as either scheduled or postponed). So I wouldn't read anything into that, and would assume that if all is well we will play next at home vs. Utah on 2/5.

As for why they have already cancelled games for the 2-week period, that's a decision that they make based on the facts in each particular case. Sometimes if there's ambiguity and the caution is due to contact tracing, they will hold off and wait on further testing. But if it's obvious that a full program shutdown is required, then they'll cancel as far ahead as necessary. Our limited roster size may also be a factor leading to the full 2-week cancellation.

I hope we will not have any complications with our current travel back to Berkeley. And further I hope the above is all a clerical error and that we can indeed return vs. USC this Friday. But so far, I don't recall an instance where the Pac-12 issued a covid cancellation on its schedule only to rescind it later.
smh
9am this morning..
ncbears
There's a zoom call with Coach Smith at noon Pacitic on 1/17 (today). We will see what she says about the cancellations - and what games, if any, will be played after this "pause"
Schroeder71
This must be the 14 day quarantine period out to February 5th. Five consecutive games cancelled until after football LOI Day and the beginning of the softball season. There will only be seven regular season games remaining if Cal is ready to play at that point. The only bright spot is that Mia Mastrov will have three weeks to become acclimated with the team.

Cal will have played 11 games while postponing 7 others...One could make the case for cancelling the season.

USC now has had their star, Alissa Pili, make her debut for the 2020-2021 season. She was the conference Freshman of the Year last season. In her first game back, Troy upset Washington State.
Alissa Pili - Women's Basketball - USC Athletics (usctrojans.com)
CalWSportsFan
Time to call it a season.....for the safety and well-being of everyone. As I've said before, the Ivy League made the right decision...but I understand that the NCAA went forward for one reason....money trumps the health/safety of players....For once, I actually agree with Baylor Coach Kim Mulkey:

Quote:

Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey, who returned to the sideline Saturday for the first time since Dec. 19, said she is feeling OK physically after having experienced COVID-19. But when asked if she is concerned about the season being completed amid a pandemic, she didn't mince words.

"The answer is this: The season will continue on. It's called the almighty dollar," Mulkey said after the Lady Bears lost 75-71 to Iowa State in Waco, Texas, ending the longest current home-court winning streak in Division I women's basketball at 61 games. "The NCAA has to have the almighty dollar from the men's tournament. The almighty dollar is more important than the health and welfare of me, the players or anybody else.

"One conference does this, one conference does that. The CDC says this. Everybody is confused. I'm confused. I'm uncomfortable coaching. I understand, COVID is real. I've had it -- come talk to me sometime. But I don't know ... all the calls and procedures, that's gonna go on and make it unusual, uncomfortable for every program. We're no different at Baylor."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30727296/ncaa-season-goes-almighty-dollar-trumps-health
SpartanBear20
CalWSportsFan said:

Time to call it a season.....for the safety and well-being of everyone. As I've said before, the Ivy League made the right decision...but I understand that the NCAA went forward for one reason....money trumps the health/safety of players....For once, I actually agree with Baylor Coach Kim Mulkey:

Quote:

Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey, who returned to the sideline Saturday for the first time since Dec. 19, said she is feeling OK physically after having experienced COVID-19. But when asked if she is concerned about the season being completed amid a pandemic, she didn't mince words.

"The answer is this: The season will continue on. It's called the almighty dollar," Mulkey said after the Lady Bears lost 75-71 to Iowa State in Waco, Texas, ending the longest current home-court winning streak in Division I women's basketball at 61 games. "The NCAA has to have the almighty dollar from the men's tournament. The almighty dollar is more important than the health and welfare of me, the players or anybody else.

"One conference does this, one conference does that. The CDC says this. Everybody is confused. I'm confused. I'm uncomfortable coaching. I understand, COVID is real. I've had it -- come talk to me sometime. But I don't know ... all the calls and procedures, that's gonna go on and make it unusual, uncomfortable for every program. We're no different at Baylor."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30727296/ncaa-season-goes-almighty-dollar-trumps-health
Maybe Mulkey would've had more credibility if she hadn't gone to that family gathering that caused her to test positive - or better yet led by example and opted out of the season.

That said, Duke and Virginia can't be the only P5 programs opting out. I'd expect others that don't have postseason expectations to follow suit.
ncbears
When asked this morning, Smith said she is not going to pull the plug on the season unless the medical staff instruct her to do so.
ClayK
From a basketball standpoint, it probably makes sense to keep playing, even if the losses continue. Young players get better with experience, and there are plenty of young players on Cal who can benefit from minutes -- as long as the coaching staff managed to keep a relatively positive attitude alive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.